Changes await Russian pay-TV market
By Chris Dziadul
March 7, 2012 07.40 Europe/London

The rate of growth of the pay-TV market in Russia is likely to slow over the next three years, according to Julia Shakhmanova, the head of content at Tricolor TV, the country’s leading DTH platform.

Speaking at the second international forum of Connected TV and Video and quoted in the local press, she said that by 2016 DTH services would account for 53% of the market, with cable and IPTV claiming the remaining 47%.

This would represent a significant increase in the DTH share – according to J’son & Partners, it amounted to 45% last year – and the merger of the cable and IPTV sectors.

Shakhmanova also said that the pay-TV market in Russia is moving to the “anywhere, anytime, by anyone, anything” model now widely seen in the West.