Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 08-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 08-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 08-03-2012

Robin van Persie: Manchester City would love to sign him

MANCINI CONFIRMS VAN PERSIE INTEREST

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has confirmed his interest in Arsenal captain Robin van Persie, but believes the Dutchman will remain with the Gunners.
    The prolific 28-year-old, who has netted 32 goals for the north London club this season, is out of contract at the Emirates Stadium in 2013 and has put talks over a new deal on hold until the summer.

Mancini would love to add Van Persie to his already star-studded ranks if he became available, but does not think that will happen.
    Quoted in several national newspapers, the Italian said: "We are interested in all good players. This is normal, but not only us. I think all the good teams are interested in Van Persie.

"I think Van Persie at this moment is one of the best strikers in Europe with [Lionel] Messi, [Cristiano] Ronaldo and with Sergio [Aguero] and Mario [Balotelli].
    "I think he is a fantastic striker, but I think he will remain with Arsenal."
    City acquired Samir Nasri from Arsenal last summer and have also signed Gael Clichy, Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor from the Gunners in recent years.

Mancini added: "I think if there is a good player who wants to leave a club, then we are interested.
    "But if this player wants to stay, we don't have any problem. In my opinion, Van Persie will stay at Arsenal.
    "I think Robin van Persie will sign a new contract with Arsenal because if Arsenal lose also Van Persie, they will have a big problem.
    "I think Arsenal will buy good players in the summer.
    "Arsenal is a top team. They want to win the next Premier League, so for these reasons I think he will stay."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 08-03-2012

Pavel Pogrebnyak: On a short-term deal at Fulham

POGREBNYAK FOCUSED ON THE PRESENT

Fulham striker Pavel Pogrebnyak insists he is only concerned about the present and not what will happen at the end of the season.
    The 28-year-old has proved an inspired deadline-day capture for the Cottagers, having netted five goals in his first three Barclays Premier League matches.
    Pogrebnyak's short-term deal runs to the end of the season and Fulham manager Martin Jol indicated on Sunday that talks to extend the striker's stay are under way.
    The Russia international says he has enjoyed his start to life in west London but insists his only concern is ending the campaign strongly.
    "I'm here for six months initially and after that the club and I will see what can happen," Pogrebnyak told Fulham's official magazine, Fultime.
    "My target is adapt to English football and to learn the way of the team - these are the most important things.

"Right now I am only thinking about the present and the next game that comes.
    "[It was an easy decision to come to Fulham as] there had been interest in me in the past so I was aware of Fulham as a club and had followed their progress for a while.
    "It has long been a dream of mine to come and play in the Premier League, so when the circumstances came about to enable the move to happen in January I was naturally very happy."
    While he did not need much persuading to join Fulham, Pogrebnyak revealed he spoke to international team-mates Roman Pavlyuchenko and Andrey Arshavin before his deadline-day transfer.
    "I did speak to them about England before making the move," Pogrebnyak said.
    "But ultimately the decision was mine because it has been a long-term dream of mine to play in England. Now that dream has come true."
    As well as excelling on the field, the former Spartak Moscow and Zenit St Petersburg striker says he is enjoying life off it.
    "I like London very much, and England in general," he said.

"I was born in Moscow and I also lived in St Petersburg, so I am used to the big city and I like it noisy.
    "In London I feel very comfortable in football and in my private life too.
    "I like the double-decker buses and the architecture of London, and the red brick buildings.
    "I think London has a very strong identity. When you are in London, you know you are in London, nowhere else."

Uploads

Ward: Doubtful to return for Watford clash

JAMIE WARD SIDELINED FOR DERBY

Derby midfielder Jamie Ward will miss Saturday's visit of Watford with a thigh strain, and is also doubtful for the derby clash with Nottingham Forest.
    Ward has been sidelined for the last two games against Birmingham City and Blackpool after picking up the injury while on international duty with Northern Ireland.
    "I don't think he has got much chance for Saturday and it will be a massive ask for Tuesday as well," said Rams coach Andy Garner.
    "We will monitor it but we know with John Brayford's injury what can happen so we are not going to risk anybody. We have got too many games coming up.

"If it is not right, Jamie won't play."
    Meanwhile, defender Jason Shackell came through the win over Blackpool unscathed.
    The 28-year-old had been struggling with hamstring and foot problems respectively.
    "Jason had a light session on Monday, and the physios have done a great job on him," said Garner.
    "He he was fine to play against Blackpool, and if he is fine then he plays."

There was bad news regarding academy goalkeeper Mats Morch however, who needs surgery to repair a dislocated shoulder.
    Morch suffered the injury in training and will be out of action for up to four months.

Uploads

Marcelo Bielsa: Linked with Chelsea job

REALITY MATTERS TO BIELSA

Athletic Bilbao coach Marcelo Bielsa has refused to be drawn on speculation linking him with Chelsea, describing such talk as "total hypothesis".
    The Blues are looking for a permanent successor as manager to Andre Villas-Boas after the Portuguese was sacked at the weekend, and Bielsa's name is among those that have been mentioned as potential candidates.
    Asked on Wednesday evening if the Chelsea job might appeal to him, Bielsa - whose team face Manchester United at Old Trafford in the first leg of their Europa League last-16 tie on Thursday night - said: "As a general rule of thumb, I don't ever respond to hypotheses.
    "I prefer to talk about real situations. What you are talking about there is total hypothesis."

Bielsa has previously been in charge of the Chilean national team and his native Argentina.
    Under the 56-year-old this season, Spanish outfit Athletic have finished top of their Europa League group and take on United after overcoming Russia's Lokomotiv Moscow in the first knockout round.
    Domestically, they are currently fifth in the Primera Division with a Copa del Rey final against Barcelona to look forward to, and Bielsa says his men are ready to make a big impression on Thursday night.
    "We are very proud and full of hope and excitement at the opportunity of taking part in such an important game - it is a big occasion," Bielsa said.
    "What we hope to do in each game we take part in is to impose ourselves.
    "It would be silly to ignore the fact that Manchester United as a club have got a lot of quality.
    "You have to be aware of that, but I think when you go into a game like this you have to concentrate on your own resources and on the things you have been doing well for the rest of the season.
    "We will, though, be trying to perform at a slightly higher percentage and be even more at it than we would in a regular league game."

Uploads

Roberto Di Matteo: Support from Gianfranco Zola

ZOLA: DI MATTEO CAN SUCCEED

Gianfranco Zola has backed Roberto Di Matteo to earn the Chelsea job on a permanent basis - but is coy about the prospect of joining the club's coaching staff himself.
    Stamford Bridge legend Zola claimed former team-mate Di Matteo has what it takes to rescue the Blues' miserable season and be kept on as manager beyond his caretaker stint.
    Di Matteo, who was placed in charge until the end of the season following Andre Villas-Boas' sacking on Sunday, won his first match at the helm last night as Chelsea beat Birmingham in an FA Cup fifth-round replay.
    The 41-year-old only has three months left on his contract and is far from favourite to succeed Villas-Boas full time, with Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho reported to be owner Roman Abramovich's primary targets.

But Zola was optimistic his fellow Italian would do enough, which may mean finishing in the Barclays Premier League top four and winning the FA Cup or Champions League, to give Abramovich food for thought come the summer.
    Speaking at the launch of this year's Barbados British Airways Football Legends Invitational, Zola said: "I do hope it's going to be like this.
    "Roberto has got a big opportunity and I personally believe he's got the qualities to do a good job.
    "I really hope that he's going to do well.
    "He's a Chelsea boy as well, he's a Chelsea hero, and so he's well represented."

Zola, whose name tops numerous polls of Chelsea's greatest ever players, has been linked with a return to the club since Villas-Boas' demise.
    Confirming he was keen to return to management, the former West Ham boss said: "Chelsea is a club I care about, but I respect other choices.
    "I keep supporting the team and, as far as I'm concerned, I keep working and getting ready for when the opportunity will come for me.
    "I don't like really proposing myself for whatever role.
    "The important thing is Chelsea does well because it's a wonderful club and they deserve the best."
    Abramovich reportedly read the riot act to Chelsea's players after sacking Villas-Boas, telling them they were as much to blame for the club's plight as the Portuguese.
    Speculation is rife Abramovich will jettison some of the older squad members this summer.
    Zola said: "All I can say is that they are players who are 33, 34, and I believe that they have still got something to give.
    "Whether they're going to be giving it for Chelsea or for another club, I don't know."
    There were constant rumours of dressing-room unrest under Villas-Boas and Zola said: "When you want to achieve something, one of the main things is to stick together.

"Only by doing that can you go through the difficulties.
    "I think it is the moment where Chelsea players, managers, club, and supporters have to do that."
    Zola admitted it hurt him to see his former club in disarray "because it is a club for me and for many in my time that has given so much".
    He added: "We really want the team to be a success - we really want it.
    "It must be very painful for whoever is still involved in the club to see them struggle.
    "But we don't have to forget that Chelsea, in the last 10 years, is one of the teams that in this country has won, along with Manchester United, the most.

"Sometimes, seasons can be low like this one.
    "But it is an opportunity to get better, to improve and to become stronger than before."
    The Barbados British Airways Football Legends Invitational takes place between May 26-27 at the Kensington Oval, Barbados.

Uploads

Robbie Fowler: Blackpool transfer target

FOWLER HITCH FOR BLACKPOOL

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway admits talks to bring former England striker Robbie Fowler to Bloomfield Road have hit a stumbling block.
    The 36-year-old started training with the npower Championship club last week, with Holloway seemingly confident that a deal could be done to bring Fowler back to English football for the first time since 2008.
    However, he sounded an altogether more cautious note speaking to a press conference after Tuesday night's defeat to Derby, revealing Fowler - now being linked with a host of Football League clubs - would have to seek his future elsewhere as negotiations stand at present.
    "Yes, I'm trying to sign Robbie Fowler, but at the moment it won't be happening," said Holloway.

"Unless I can get things done and a deal done in a slightly different way, then he won't be coming. If it doesn't happen I'll be disappointed, but such is life."
    Meanwhile, Holloway dismissed reports linking the Seasiders with a move for Peterborough forward Emile Sinclair.
    He added: "That's not true, not at all. It's the first I've heard of it, to be honest."

Uploads

Podolski: Fee agreed with Arsenal

ARSENAL AGREE PODOLSKI DEAL - REPORT

Arsenal have reportedly agreed a deal in the region of 11m for Cologne striker Lukas Podolski.
    The Gunners are understood to have agreed personal terms, believed to be a four-year contract worth 100,000 a week.
    They have now completed discussions with the Bundesliga club, who were initially looking for a higher fee for the 26-year-old.

Cash-rich Russian outfits Lokomotiv Moscow and Anzhi Makhachkala were also in the hunt for Podolski.
    But the Polish-born striker recently insisted money was not his prime motivation.
    "Money is not the most important thing for me," he told German newspaper Sport-Bild. "What is crucial is the development of my game."

Uploads

Ryan Taylor: New two-year Magpies contract

RYAN TAYLOR EXTENDS MAGPIES STAY

Newcastle utility man Ryan Taylor has signed a two-year contract extension, the club have confirmed.
    The 27-year-old former Wigan player's new deal will keep him on Tyneside until the summer of 2015, and represents another boost for manager Alan Pardew, who tied up skipper Fabricio Coloccini and keeper Tim Krul on long-term arrangements last weekend.
    Taylor said: "I'm over the moon. It's been a quiet one to get done and didn't take long. I stated not so long ago that I would love to stay here, and that has always been the case."

Taylor arrived at St James' Park in February 2009 under former boss Joe Kinnear, and has lined up in both midfield and defence, starting the current campaign at left-back.
    However, he will perhaps always be remembered by Magpies fans for the free-kick which claimed derby victory over Sunderland in August.
    Taylor said: "Playing every week helps and having a good manager has been a massive plus for me as well.
    "When the gaffer came in first of all I was injured, so I've had to prove myself to him. But this season has been great for me on a personal note, and to have played in every Premier League game bar two or three then it's been a great season."

Pardew was delighted to have tied down another member of his first-team squad.
    He said: "I am delighted to secure a contract extension for Ryan. He has been outstanding for me this season wherever I have asked him to play.
    "Ryan is a fantastic player who is firmly in the hearts of our fans, not only for his derby winner against Sunderland but also because of some excellent performances in the Newcastle shirt.

"On the back of agreeing new deals last week with Tim Krul and Fabricio Coloccini, this gives us a huge boost going into the final 11 games, and hopefully Ryan can help us make this a truly memorable season."

Uploads

Paulo Sergio: Optimistic of Tynecastle stay

HEARTS BOARD WANT ME TO STAY - SERGIO

Paulo Sergio believes the Hearts board want him to continue as manager beyond the end of the season.
    Portuguese Sergio succeeded Jim Jefferies as boss in August on a deal until the end of the current campaign and has had to cope with numerous off-field issues this term, most notably the delayed payment of players in three successive months and constrained finances.
    Nevertheless, Sergio is optimistic of staying at Tynecastle next term and has the support of owner Vladimir Romanov and the club directors.
    Speaking ahead of Saturday's William Hill Scottish Cup quarter-final with St Mirren, Sergio said: "I speak very openly. I know it's in the interests of the board to keep me here - we've spoken already about that.

"I'm very happy. I feel that I belong to a fantastic club with great supporters, with great history, that are living a hard period.
    "If I'm going to be (here) or not that depends on some details, but that's not important at this moment.
    "What is important is that the board already have said to me - and we are working on the future of the club - they want me here next season.
    "I'm happy, but if I'm going to be here or not we will see."
    For the immediate future Sergio is focused on St Mirren, with the winners advancing to a semi-final at Hampden.

Asked if he has been to the national stadium, the headquarters of the Scottish Football Association, to see a game, Sergio said: "Just to speak with the SFA (for disciplinary reasons).
    "It's a fantastic stadium, very nice. I had an opportunity to see the pitch and it's going to be great if we're going to be there.
    "But for that we have to beat St Mirren."
    Hearts beat the Buddies 5-2 on January 14 despite being reduced to 10 men early on, but claimed one point from a possible 15 in the five subsequent Clydesdale Bank Premier League games before beating beleaguered Rangers 2-1 last weekend.
    Sergio added: "Forget the 5-2. It's another game and we should be focused and at our best level to go through."
    Hearts are set to again be without winger David Templeton (groin), while midfielder Scott Robinson (illness) is a doubt.

Uploads

Wesley: Returns to his homeland

WESLEY GOES BACK TO BRAZIL

Werder Bremen have announced the sale of midfielder Wesley to Brazilian club Palmeiras with immediate effect.
    The Brazilian failed to claim a regular berth in the Bundesliga club's starting XI, making just 26 appearances since arriving from Santos in 2010.
    He has recently been keeping himself fit with Palmeiras after becoming surplus to requirements in Bremen, who have now reached a formal agreement with the Brazilian club for the player to make a permanent transfer back to his home country.

"After reaching an agreement with Palmeiras a while ago, the bank guarantees which were necessary to assure the transfer have now arrived," said Bremen's director of sport Klaus Allofs.
    "Even if the whole procedure has dragged on a little, we were always confident that it would go through since we remained in close contact with the Palmeiras management and all agreements and dates were adhered to."
    Wesley scored only two goals during a troubled time in Germany.