Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 12-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 12-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 12-03-2012

John Terry: Doesn't take blame for Villas-Boas' exit

JOHN TERRY: WE'RE NOT TO BLAME

Chelsea captain John Terry insists the club's senior players were not at fault for manager Andre Villas-Boas' sacking at Stamford Bridge.
    Blues owner Roman Abramovich parted ways with Villas-Boas last weekend after the Portuguese boss had spent just over eight months at the helm.
    Problems behind the scenes are thought to have influenced his dismissal, with speculation that the 34-year-old manager's troubled relationship with Chelsea's more experienced players isolated him from the squad.
    But Terry is adamant the supposed player power at Stamford Bridge does not exist and says Villas-Boas' departure was prompted purely by poor results.

He told Sky Sports: "In all clubs, when players don't play, there's always misunderstandings and people upset about not being played.
    "I think because it's Chelsea, people have got this thing about the senior players have got a massive influence and I can assure you that's not the case and it hasn't been since I've been at the football club.
    "All the players care about Chelsea football club, the owner certainly does. Andre was very good - unfortunately we didn't get the results."
    He added: "Collectively, not only him, although unfortunately it falls on his head, I think the players and the manager will make mistakes together.
    "We all wish him well, he's got a very good future. He's very young as well. This can be a learning experience for him and myself. I got on very well with him."

Blues striker Didier Drogba admits if he and his team-mates had done more on the pitch, Villas-Boas might still be in the job.
    "These things happen and no matter what happened I think we have to give him credit," he said. "It cannot work for all of them.
    "He was unlucky, the team was not in good shape. I think we, as players, could have done maybe better to change that, to avoid this happening. But that's life.
    "We support him. He's a friend and he's always going to be a friend."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 12-03-2012

Mourinho (l) and Drogba worked together at Chelsea

DROGBA WOULD RELISH MOURINHO REUNION

Didier Drogba says it "would be fun" if Jose Mourinho returned to manage Chelsea.
    The Portuguese, who won back-to-back Premier League titles with the London club in his first spell in charge at Stamford Bridge, has been linked with a return to the Blues following the sacking of compatriot Andre Villas-Boas last weekend.
    Roberto Di Matteo has been placed in interim charge of Chelsea until the end of the season but Drogba appeared to welcome the idea of Real Madrid boss Mourinho coming back in the summer, while Chelsea captain John Terry described Mourinho as a "fantastic manager".
    Drogba told Sky Sports News: "There is a lot of speculation - him (Mourinho), (Rafael) Benitez, all these managers. It would be nice (to have Mourinho back), it would be fun for the story. Let's see what happens."

Terry added: "It's all speculation at the moment, obviously he (Mourinho) was a fantastic manager and a very good man-manager as well. But Robbie (Di Matteo) has come in and brought Eddie Newton in as well and they're doing a great job, and the target really is to focus on the next two months and to get the club in the position we all want to be in which is (qualifying for the) Champions League next year."
    Terry and Drogba insisted the senior players had given their backing to Villas-Boas and said claims that the squad veterans were a massive influence in the dressing room were wide of the mark.
    "In all clubs, when players don't play, there's always misunderstandings and people upset about not being played," the former England captain said.
    "I think because it's Chelsea, people have got this thing about the senior players, (that they) have got a massive influence and I can assure you that's not the case and it hasn't been since I've been at the football club.

"All the players care about Chelsea Football Club, the owner certainly does. Andre was very good - unfortunately we didn't get the results.
    "Collectively, not only him, although unfortunately it falls on his head, I think the players and the manager will make mistakes together.
    "We all wish him well, he's got a very good future. He's very young as well. This can be a learning experience for him and myself. I got on very well with him."
    Drogba admitted Chelsea's players had to take their share of the blame for the results which led to Villas-Boas' dismissal.
    "He was unlucky, the team was not in good shape. I think we, as players, could have done maybe better to change that, to avoid this happening. But that's life," he said.

Uploads

Luis Suarez: 'I could come to Paris'

SUAREZ 'KEEN ON LUGANO LINK-UP'

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez is keen to link up with fellow Uruguayan Diego Lugano, who plays for French league leaders Paris St Germain.
    The 10 Sport website says Suarez, who has scored six goals in 21 Barclays Premier League appearances for the Reds this season, told the Canal Football Club television programme on Canal Plus that he "could come" to PSG.

Suarez is quoted as saying: "I would love to play at the same club as him (Lugano).
    "Yes, I could come to Paris, like lots of other clubs. There are lots of big clubs with such a reputation who want to build a strong team and Paris are one of these teams who buy to strengthen their side."

Suarez, 25, joined Liverpool in January 2011 from Ajax and his incisive attacking play has made him a hit at Anfield.
    During the current campaign though he was banned for eight matches for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra during a league game in October, and caused further controversy when he refused to shake the Frenchman's hand when the sides met again last month.
    Suarez subsequently apologised for the refusal to shake Evra's hand.

Uploads

Eden Hazard: Lille star wanted by Harry Redknapp

REDKNAPP INTERESTED IN HAZARD

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has confirmed he would like to sign Eden Hazard, but fears competition from both Manchester City and Manchester United.
    Redknapp has made a number of trips across the Channel in recent months, with Hazard and Marseille's Loic Remy known to be his two main targets.
    He has already confirmed his interest in Remy, and now he has underlined his liking for Lille's playmaker Hazard.

The Belgian has already spoken about Spurs' interest and has already suggested a move to White Hart Lane was in the pipeline.
    Hazard also suggested he would be more willing to move to Tottenham, as he would be guaranteed first-team football.
    Redknapp has now confirmed to the French media how much of a fan of Hazard he is, but warned of the competition for his signature.
    "Our owner is willing to pay for an exceptional talent, like Eden Hazard," he is quoted by L'Equipe.

"I have seen him several times recently in Marseilles [in January] and then also against PSG in the final of the Coupe de France [last May].
    "But I also know that Manchester United is looking at him and also Manchester City.
    "It will be difficult to get him, but I like him a lot."

Redknapp also admitted that he was ready to make a personal check on Montpellier striker Olivier Giroud - who has been in impressive form this season.
    "He looks good, I have read many good reports on him and I have a scout following the French championship," he said.
    "If a player attracts my attention I will watch him play."

Uploads

Moyes: Linked with Chelsea and Tottenham

KENWRIGHT KEEN FOR MOYES TO STAY

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright is confident he can hang on to manager David Moyes but accepts selling the club is the best way of ensuring that.
    The Scot has been linked with Chelsea and Tottenham - should, as expected, Harry Redknapp take over at England - while Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has praised his compatriot for the work he has done at Goodison Park.
    Moyes will mark his 10th anniversary at the club on Wednesday still looking for his first trophy and he freely admits he is a hugely ambitious man.

Kenwright is too, but knows the only way to match the ambition of his manager is to find new owners who can bring in much-needed finance for him to be able to compete more regularly with the top-six in the Barclays Premier League.
    Asked whether he feared losing Moyes to a wealthier rival, Kenwright said: "Not at all. Never. Why? What do I think is the biggest club in the world? Everton.
    "Why wouldn't people want him? But he is our manager and I do believe he is our manager because he wants to be our manager and he gets what he can and what he wants out of this club.

"I think that is important to him. He is ambitious. I am hugely ambitious but I have got to be realistic and that is why I have to ask myself whether I can be the chairman for much longer.
    "It is a huge club and I have to find the investment to take it forward.
    "We love nights like the ones against Chelsea, Man City and Tottenham (all recently beaten at Goodison Park) but we live in a game dominated by money.
    "I know this club is revered throughout football for the way we try to do it but it is a huge job and it gets more and more difficult.
    "The one thing he (Moyes) does know is he gets every single brass farthing available and he does know no-one takes any money out of this club.
    "But at the end of the day I have to find a new owner."

Of his decade-long relationship with Moyes, Kenwright said there had been very few disagreements.
    "It has not been a love-in. Both of us are keen to say that but it has been a friendship," he said.
    "It has been 10 years of absolute friendship. We've had maybe two what you could call rows but they would last five minutes, words rather than rows maybe."
    However, Kenwright felt the manager had brought something back to Everton which money could not buy.
    "The one thing he has done for this club is he has made us all believe again and 10 years ago we had lost some of our belief," he said.

Uploads

PODOLSKI: NO GUNNERS MOVE AGREED

Cologne forward Lukas Podolski says he has not yet agreed a move to Arsenal despite reports suggesting a deal has been done.
    The Germany international still has a contract with Cologne until 2013 and, although it is looking increasingly unlikely that he will be at the Bundesliga club next season, he says no deal for him to leave the club has yet been struck.
    "We'll just have to wait and see, but nothing has been decided yet," he said.
    "Every day people are repeatedly announcing the deal, or wanting to be the first to confirm it exclusively, but if there is anything to say, then I will be the first to do so."

Even the Cologne fans have accepted that Podolski will no longer be in their team next season and Saturday's game with Hertha Berlin was seen as the first of Podolski's last 11 games with them.
    However, he will miss at least one of his club's 10 remaining fixtures after suffering a red card which he disputed strongly.
    "I have seen the incident again in the dressing room and I think everybody has seen that it was not a red card," he told Sky television.
    "I don't know what he (the referee) saw. I remained calm and freed myself from my opponent.
    "I asked the referee afterwards why he had shown me the red card and he said that I had grabbed my opponent by the neck. I think he must be the only person with that opinion, but I just have to accept it."

Uploads

Bolo Zenden: Blackburn target

ZENDEN: NO BLACKBURN DEAL YET

Former Sunderland midfielder Bolo Zenden insists no deal has been agreed with Blackburn.
    The 35-year-old Dutchman is wanted by Rovers boss Steve Kean as the club look to escape the drop once again.
    Rovers face competition for the experienced midfielder's signature as a number of strugglers are keen to secure his services.
    Zenden has confirmed Blackburn have made him an offer, although the two parties are yet to reach an accord.

"Blackburn have made me an offer, but we have not yet reached agreement," said Zenden. "Their interest in very serious.
    "They are in a bad predicament and they need experienced players due to their league position - but that is the same situation for other teams interested in me."

Uploads

Volker Finke: Cologne departure

WOLF EXPLAINS FINKE DEPARTURE

Cologne chairman Dr Werner Wolf has explained why the club's director of sport Volker Finke was relieved of his duties on Saturday.
    Finke left the club "by mutual consent" after the 1-0 win over Hertha Berlin with Dr Wolf insisting the move was made in the club's best interests.
    "It is all about football and it is all about the success of FC Cologne," he said in a statement.
    "Last night, we spoke with Volker Finke after our home game against Hertha Berlin and, afterwards, we announced that he and Cologne would be parting company by mutual consent.

"The reason for this is a difference in opinion in view of the laying of foundations for the footballing future of Cologne.
    "I would like to express my thanks for Volker Finke's work over the past year. He made a valuable contribution to us avoiding relegation in the 2010/11 season and, during his time with Cologne, he has given the club new impulsion."
    Finke arrived at Cologne last year and, shortly after taking over as the club's director of sport, he found himself on the bench as coach after Frank Schafer handed in his resignation.
    He took charge for the final three games of the season, winning all three to save the club from the drop before reverting to his role of director of sport in the summer and appointing Stale Solbakken as the club's new coach.

However, his relationship with the Norwegian tactician has been frosty in recent weeks, leaving a situation in which one of the pair had to leave, and Finke has drawn the short straw.
    "We feel that we need clarity over the future in our current situation because Cologne needs the coach and the team to have full concentration on the remaining games," explained Wolf.
    "It had become clear to us that, in some fundamental aspects of our work and the direction we wanted to take, there were differences of opinion (with Finke).
    "Therefore, we came to the common conclusion that it made no sense carrying on working together."
    Solbakken had not seen eye-to-eye with Finke after hinting that he had overstepped his responsibilities and was interfering too much with his own field of duty.
    Finke signed North Korea international Jong Tae-Se during the winter break without even consulting Solbakken until the deal was done, and the pair's relationship has deteriorated since then.

The Norwegian coach will now take sole responsibility for team affairs after receiving his club's support.
    "Stale Solbakken enjoys our full backing, as do our current team," said Dr Wolf.
    "We are convinced that we have the quality to avoid relegation and achieve our goals beyond that. The management team will analyse the current sporting situation with Stale Solbakken.
    "We are keen for yesterday's win to lead into a sustainable run of positive results."

Uploads

Tomas Rosicky: New Gunners contract

ROSICKY SIGNS NEW GUNNERS DEAL

Tomas Rosicky has signed a new contract with Arsenal, the Barclays Premier League club have announced.
    Rosicky struggled to make an impact at the start of the season, but has put in a string of excellent performances of late, particularly in last week's 3-0 win over AC Milan - and he has been rewarded with a new contract.
    The Czech's deal was set to expire this summer but he has now committed his future to the London club.
    Rosicky, who has scored twice in his last three games, joined Arsenal in May 2006 from Borussia Dortmund and has featured 156 times for Arsene Wenger's side since, scoring 19 goals in the process.

The length of the deal for the 31-year-old Czech Republic captain has not been disclosed.
    Rosicky told Arsenal's website: "It's a great honour to sign a new deal with Arsenal, I love the club and am proud to wear the Arsenal shirt.
    "It's felt like home since I arrived six years ago and I couldn't be happier to commit my future to the team.
    "The manager, my team-mates, the staff and the supporters - everyone plays their part in making this a great club, and I feel privileged to be a part of it.
    "I believe we have a really talented group of players and, together with the manager, the future looks bright. It's always been my goal to win trophies here at Arsenal, and I will fight hard to achieve my dreams here."

Wenger, who has selected Rosicky for the last three games, added: "I've always been a big admirer of Tomas' abilities and am delighted he's chosen to commit his future to the club.
    "I believe he is an exceptional player, a natural footballer who is technically top class.
    "He plays the style of football we champion here and shares completely our philosophy. He is always ready to work for the sake of the club, always willing to put the team first. I have huge respect for him."

The midfielder was ruled out for 18 months with a rare tendon injury in 2008 and struggled for fitness upon his return, but he has been relatively injury free this season, allowing him to make 28 appearances for Wenger's team.

Uploads

Drogba: Chelsea contract expires at the end of the season

ANELKA EXPECTS DROGBA REUNION

Nicolas Anelka has discussed the possibility of a reunion with Didier Drogba and is confident his former Chelsea team-mate will join him in China.
    Former France international Anelka headed to the Far East in January after making it clear that he would not be penning a new deal at Stamford Bridge.
    The 32-year-old opted to link up with Shanghai Shenhua, an ambitious outfit who have plans to plunder the Premier League for more top talent.

Drogba features prominently on their wish list and Anelka expects a deal to be done in the summer.
    "If I could choose any of my former team-mates to join me at Shenhua, it would be Didier," he said.
    "It's difficult for me to say much at this time, but I speak with him on a regular basis and I expect him to come to Shanghai.
    "When I left Chelsea, I told him we'd play together again soon."

Drogba will see his Chelsea contract expire at the end of the season and Shenhua owner Zhu Jun has revealed that his club have already reserved their number 11 jersey for the Ivorian.
    He said: "During negotiations, Drogba said that he liked the number 11 - so, to show the club's sincerity, we reserved it for him."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast