Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 14-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 14-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 14-03-2012

Robin van Persie: Happy at Arsenal

HILL-WOOD: VAN PERSIE IS HAPPY

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood believes Robin van Persie is settled at the club and would not be lured away by the offer of a lucrative contract, while he has also insisted there is money to spend in the transfer market if the 'right person' can be found.
    Lukas Podolski has emerged as a possible summer signing for the Gunners and fresh reports on Wednesday suggest the Cologne striker has undergone a medical in Germany that was overseen by officials from the London club.

The pursuit of Podolski has been viewed as an attempt to bolster Arsenal's attacking options rather than as a potential replacement for Van Persie, whose future has been the subject of intense speculation in recent months.
    The Dutchman's current deal at the Emirates Stadium is due to expire in June 2013 and he has put contract talks on hold until the end of this season.

Van Persie has been in such spectacular form this season that a number of other clubs are sure to be following his situation with interest, but Hill-Wood is confident he will not be going anywhere.
    While Arsenal are believed to be ready to offer Van Persie a massive pay hike, Hill-Wood does not think he is obsessed with financial rewards and is more concerned about having a successful career at the club he loves.
    "I think Robin and his family are very happy in London and I don't think he is solely motivated by money as some players are," Hill-Wood said in the Daily Star.

As well as Podolski, Arsenal have been linked with a move for his 30million-rated German compatriot Mario Gotze, from Borussia Dortmund.
    Reports have claimed that Arsenal are ready to not only push through a move for Podolski but also break their transfer record to land Gotze.
    Hill-Wood says there are funds available to Wenger, although the club will only spend if they feel it is a good deal.
    "If we find the right person for the right position we are happy to buy," said Hill-Wood.
    "We have got enough to pay anything but silly prices."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 14-03-2012

Edinson Cavani: Transfer talk

NAPOLI WANT TO KEEP DUO

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has warned potential suitors that it would take "crazy" money to prise Edinson Cavani and Ezequiel Lavezzi away from the club.
    Cavani and Lavezzi have formed a devastating partnership up front for Napoli over the past couple of years and have had the opportunity to showcase their talents on a grander stage this season after qualifying for the Champions League.
    They are both believed to have attracted the attention of clubs across Europe, with a particularly high level of reported interest in England and Spain.
    De Laurentiis is aware of the transfer talk and admits it would be wrong to completely rule out a sale, as there are some figures that would be impossible to turn down.

However, he has made it clear there is no intention on Napoli's part to let go of two such prized assets.
    "Right now everyone wants Cavani and Lavezzi but we are not looking to sell," said De Laurentiis, whose Napoli side will be looking to protect a 3-1 lead against Chelsea in the last 16 of the Champions League on Wednesday night.
    "We are not using our players for the transfer market.
    "But if some crazy guy wants to put down 100million, then, maybe."

Uploads

Hayden Mullins: Linked with Reading switch

McDERMOTT COY OVER MULLINS DEAL

Reading manager Brian McDermott says "watch this space" after Portsmouth midfielder Hayden Mullins was heavily linked with a move to the club.
    Pompey boss Michael Appleton has confirmed Mullins has been given the opportunity to leave Fratton Park but McDermott wasn't giving anything away about a potential deal after the Royals' 1-1 draw at Doncaster on Tuesday night.
    "Watch this space," was his answer when quizzed about the former West Ham man.

Reading now sit second in the Championship standings after drawing at the Keepmoat Stadium and McDermott is full of praise for the way his men have responded to a tough start to the season.
    "I suppose if you look last time we played Doncaster at the Madejski (On September 17) if we'd have lost we'd have gone bottom.
    "Looking where we are now that's not too bad.

"First half we didn't play particularly well but we had a few chances to score.
    "We had a chat at half-time and we were better in the second half.
    "We tried to win the game and when we got the goal back I thought we'd go on and win it but we've got something so I'm happy enough."

Uploads

Terry: Rubbishes player power claims

PLAYER POWER CLAIMS 'NONSENSE' - TERRY

John Terry has accused Wojciech Szczesny and Luiz Felipe Scolari of talking "complete nonsense" about the Chelsea dressing room.
    Terry rubbished Arsenal goalkeeper Szczesny's claim that Andre Villas-Boas' sacking as manager proved the Blues' players effectively ran the club.
    Former Chelsea boss Scolari also warned Villas-Boas' successor "hell" awaited him because of the influence of the squad on owner Roman Abramovich.
    Blues captain Terry hit back ahead of Wednesday night's Champions League last-16 second leg against Napoli, saying: "We win and lose together at this club - we're all responsible for the results we have.
    "As for the senior players running this football club, that's nonsense. That's just the perception from outside. Roman and the board make the decisions.
    "On the football pitch, that can affect what happens upstairs of course. If we don't win matches, the board step in.
    "People speculating from various different clubs or previous managers, that's complete nonsense."

With Terry sat next to caretaker manager Roberto Di Matteo during Tuesday evening's pre-match press conference, it was no surprise to see almost every question posed to the deposed England captain.
    This season has been turbulent in the extreme for Terry both on and off the field.
    Chelsea's meltdown under Villas-Boas corresponded with Terry facing trial for racism - a charge he denies - and an injury that looked set to rule the defender out until April.
    Asked about the difficulties of remaining focused, he said: "I think I've shown that with my performances, despite what's happening off the field.
    "I know what I have to do for Chelsea.
    As captain, I'm very fortunate and privileged.

"If you had said 10 years ago that Robbie and I would be sitting here with such a big night coming up tomorrow, we'd have probably laughed at you.
    "But that's the reality. You won't find two other people who care more about the football club going into this game tomorrow. We represent Chelsea.
    "We give that fiery atmosphere in the dressing room and take it on to the pitch and hope everyone feeds off that."
    Chelsea will need all that and more if they are to become only the fourth club to overturn a first-leg deficit of two goals or more in the Champions League.
    The Blues were written off by some after their 3-1 defeat in Naples three weeks ago and Terry admitted reaching the quarter-finals would represent one of his greatest achievements.
    "If it all goes well, it could go down as one of the great nights of Chelsea's history," said Terry, who was under no illusions over the task at hand.
    History is well and truly against the Blues, who have not won any of their last five home Champions League knockout matches.

Terry said: "It'll be very tough. Seeing their last game, too, when they won 6-3, defensively, we need to be really solid.
    "It'll be a balance, and communication will be key. They'll have watched videos of us and know we can open teams up.
    "We can break teams down and be solid ourselves. But an early goal and a good start would be great for us."
    The Champions League has been the Holy Grail at Chelsea ever since Abramovich bought the club nine years ago and with reports of a mass clearout this summer, Terry admitted this season could be the last chance for many of his team-mates to achieve European glory.
    Terry said: "Naturally, we have players out of contract and players in negotiation with their current contracts. I'm hoping many stay and many come in."
    And after so many near misses in the competition, Terry could be forgiven for thinking Chelsea are cursed.
    He said: "Listen, we don't feel cursed. We've been unfortunate in previous big nights here.
    "You need a quality team to go on and win this competition, allied with a bit of luck which we've missed out on.

"But I know we've still got an abundance of quality here, and the determination buzzing around that dressing room to make this happen."
    Terry admitted Chelsea would take inspiration from Arsenal almost overturning a four-goal deficit against AC Milan last week as they aimed to prevent English football suffering its worst Champions League season since 1996.
    He said: "Arsenal pushed it as close as they possibly could. They went out, and we're the last side.
    "Robbie has spoken about this not being the last Champions League game at the Bridge this year."
    He added: "Getting off to a good start may be a key factor. If not, we've got the experience and patience as well to know that it takes only a few minutes to score two goals."

Uploads

Edinson Cavani: Looking forward to Chelsea clash

CAVANI SHRUGS OFF SPECULATION

Napoli star Edinson Cavani insists he's not thinking about his long-term future amid speculation linking him with a summer move to the Premier League.
    The 25-year-old is one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe having already scored 24 goals this season and the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City are reportedly interested in him.
    But Cavani is only focused on helping Napoli reach the Champions League quarter-finals as the Italian outfit look to protect a 3-1 aggregate lead against Chelsea in Wednesday night's last-16 second leg at Stamford Bridge.

The Uruguayan international, who scored in the first leg, said: "We need to focus on the game. Nothing else concerns me. I'm focused on tomorrow, and not the long-term.
    "I might stay for five years. I might stay here for three. You never know."

Cavani is relishing the encounter and added: "I can't say it'll be like any other match.
    "It's just fantastic to be playing a game like this.

"When the ref blows the first whistle, I'll forget about everything else and just concentrate on the game ahead.

"We know what to expect and what they can do. It'll be a tough match and a very difficult match for us.
    "We saw in the Arsenal against Milan match that a team full of champions can change a tie in a few minutes."

Uploads

Terry Connor: Won't quit Wolves job

TERRY CONNOR: I WON'T QUIT

Wolves manager Terry Connor has dismissed reports that he is preparing to resign.
    Connor was appointed the boss at Molineux in February following the dismissal of Mick McCarthy but his reign has started in disappointing fashion.
    Wolves have picked up just one point in the three games with Connor at the helm and recent rumours suggested that the 49-year-old could depart, with the club reportedly wanting to bring in Steve Bruce.
    However, Connor insists that he will see Wolves through until the end of the season.
    "They're obviously people who don't know me, or they don't know anything about Terry Connor," he is quoted as saying in The Express & Star.
    "I've been here 13 years and I've never quit, have I? I don't know where people got that idea from, but it couldn't have been anyone who had any remote idea of what I'm like.

"I just come to work and get on with it. I know where I am and I know what I've been asked to do so all that doesn't affect me one iota.
    "I focus on my job and my job at the moment is to make sure we stay in the Premier League.
    "Until someone tells me differently, that's what I'll be doing. In a nutshell, I'm just concentrating on these 10 games.
    "Everything else is on the periphery and on the outside - it doesn't really have any great concern to me."
    Wolves are currently second from bottom in the Premier League table with 22 points from 28 matches.

Uploads

Paul Lambert: Great success at Norwich

CANARIES DETERMINED TO KEEP LAMBERT

Norwich have vowed to do everything possible to keep Paul Lambert at the club next season.
    Lambert has become one of the most sought-after young managers around after masterminding the Canaries' rise from npower League One obscurity to midtable in the Barclays Premier League inside two years.
    Some Norwich fans fear the managerial merry-go-round that could result from the England vacancy being filled this summer will lead to Lambert being lured away from Carrow Road.
    But, speaking to tourism business leaders during an event at the club's stadium, chief executive David McNally said: "Paul is happy here.
    "It's his football club, he's been accepted by the great people of Norwich and Norfolk.
    "He's hugely ambitious. We haven't let him down yet - we have matched that ambition having gone from 69th position to 12th.
    "We will do all we can to work together for the long term."

As well as Lambert, Norwich's success owes much to joint majority shareholder Delia Smith.
    Revealing the Canaries' ambition was to go from the 12th best-supported club in the country into the top 10, McNally claimed the fame of celebrity chef Smith and director Stephen Fry would help them achieve that aim.
    He said of Smith: "She is truly one of this country's A-list celebrities.
    "Hopefully, she will always be in charge of this football club.
    "Certainly, that's her intention and, for those of us who are currently custodians of this football club, it's certainly our intention.
    "Whoever has been the manager or players over the years, the most famous person at the club is Delia Smith."

Norwich are firmly on course for a second successive Premier League season for the first time in almost two decades.
    They have 36 points with 10 games remaining, 10 points clear of the drop zone.
    McNally was confident they needed only four more to survive.
    "Forty points, that's the traditional target," he said.
    "It's looking good. I don't often look at league tables, I look at how many points we are off the bottom three."

Uploads

Roman Abramovich: Chelsea owner

ABRAMOVICH RECORD CRITICISED BY LMA

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has come under attack from the head of the League Managers' Association for his record of sacking managers and demand for instant success.
    The Stamford Bridge club have had eight managers in nine years since the Russian billionaire took over at Chelsea - with Andre Villas-Boas sacked after just eight months.
    The club were labelled a "serious embarrassment" by the LMA after the Portuguese's sacking and now LMA chairman Howard Wilkinson has turned his fire on Abramovich himself.
    Wilkinson told goal.com: "Clearly, it seems to me that Roman Abramovich is not aware of the difference between having a successful team and building a successful club.
    "The evidence shows that the successful clubs - ones that have been constructed in a planned, long-term and strategic way and which have a vision of where they want to go and know how they want to get there.

"What happens is that the product of that is they continue to produce successful teams. The lesson is that if you want to be winning things then history shows that is the way that you have got to go.
    "To see that you just have to look at two clubs at the moment - Manchester United, who have been the most successful club in England over the last 15 years, and Barcelona who have also enjoyed sustained success."
    Wilkinson suggested Jose Mourinho's departure in 2007 may have been because Chelsea were not looking long-term.
    He said: "Certainly managers who have the capacity to look long-term such as Sir Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola and also Arsene Wenger also have an enormous amount to contribute to the development of a successful club.
    "I don't know Jose Mourinho inside-out but from the outside looking in it would seem that he had that capacity but clearly that wasn't part of the deal at Chelsea and that is why he left."
    Wilkinson added Manchester City had appeared to be taking the right tack.

He said: "There seems to be a conviction at Manchester City that the club grows and stands for something and that the club then becomes bigger than any individuals within it and individuals have to go along with the direction that the club has decided it is going to travel along.
    "Somebody once said that copying successfully is genius. Everybody is looking to learn and if you can learn from your neighbours who have been there, seen it, done it, well you would be a fool not to follow their example."

Uploads

Wilfried Zaha: Five-year contract at Palace

PALACE WARN OFF ZAHA SUITORS

Crystal Palace boss Dougie Freedman has warned off Premier League clubs plotting a summer move for Wilfried Zaha.
    The 19-year-old winger, who picked up the Young Player of the Year trophy at the 2012 Football League Awards on Sunday night, is constantly linked with a move to the top flight despite recently signing a five-year contract at Selhurst.
    And Freedman insists Zaha can make it to the Premier League - with Palace.

"Wilf has got a five-year contract that he only signed a few months ago," Freedman told the South London Press.
    "We'll decide over the next five years when is the best time for Wilf to move on - the chairman will decide that from a business point of view and I'll decide it on the footballing side.
    "First and foremost we are trying to get the club in the Premier League within the timescale of his contract - hopefully he'll help us do that."

Uploads

Lee Collins: Set for Barnsley move

COLLINS SET FOR TYKES SWITCH

Barnsley are poised to complete the loan signing of Port Vale defender Lee Collins with a view to a permanent deal.
    The 23-year-old, who can operate as a left-back or in central defence, is undergoing a medical at Oakwell and hopes to be involved in Saturday's home game with Reading.

Collins made 162 appearances for Port Vale, who are currently in administration, after starting his career at Wolves, where he failed to appear for the first team, before moving on to Hereford.
    Barnsley manager Keith Hill has wasted little time in drafting in defensive reinforcements as defenders Bobby Hassell (knee) and Rob Edwards (hamstring) are both out injured, as are midfielders Jacob Butterfield, David Perkins (both knee) and winger Jim O'Brien (groin).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast