Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 15-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 15-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 15-03-2012

Didier Drogba: Wants to stay

DIDIER DROGBA KEEN TO STAY AT CHELSEA

Didier Drogba repeated his desire to stay at Chelsea for "as long as possible" after their historic Champions League comeback against Napoli but insisted: "I am not master of my destiny".
    On Wednesday night Drogba proved that, even at the age of 34, he was still the Blues' main man, opening the scoring in their thrilling 4-1 extra-time win at Stamford Bridge.
    The striker currently looks set to leave the club - seemingly for a lucrative payday in China - when his contract expires at the end of the season following failed negotiations over a new deal.
    But he admitted the 5-4 aggregate success made him want to stay put even more.
    He told Canal+: "I am not master of my fate, but I will stay as long as possible.

"I am happy here, to experience moments like these. I hope there will be many others."
    Chelsea became only the fourth team in 45 attempts to overturn a first leg deficit of two goals or more, belying the predictions that Wednesday night would be the likes of Drogba's final Champions League outing for the club.
    The Ivorian said: "Many have said that it was my last game, but the adventure continues.
    "It has been a long time since I have seen a Chelsea like this."
    Indeed, the Blues have come under heavy criticism for their performances this season, which led to the sacking of manager Andre Villas-Boas almost two weeks ago.

Midfielder Frank Lampard, who also scored in the triumph, said: "The only way to answer it is to win games and play well and we've done that.
    "It was an amazing night here. I've had some very good nights here in the Champions League at home and this one goes straight in right at the top because being 3-1 down against a quality team and performing like we did was a great feeling."
    Lampard, whose fractious relationship with Villas-Boas was also arguably a factor in the Portuguese's downfall, insisted last night's win would mean nothing if Chelsea failed to qualify for next season's Champions League.
    He said: "It needs to be a real step forward for us in the Premier League as well.
    "We need to enjoy the fact that we're still in the Champions League but we need to make sure we carry that form into our league games."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 15-03-2012

Megson: No truth in link to Wolves job

WOLVES: NO TRUTH IN MEGSON TALKS

Wolves say there is "no truth" in reports Gary Megson is being lined up to replace Terry Connor in the club's battle to avoid relegation.
    Connor was recently promoted to the role of Wolves boss for the rest of the season following last month's sacking of Mick McCarthy on the back of the 5-1 defeat by West Brom.
    However, Connor has collected just one point from his three games in charge and presided over a 2-0 home loss to relegation rivals Blackburn last weekend.
    The team have also shipped nine goals in those three matches and there have been question marks regarding Connor's suitability for the role.
    Steve Bruce, who was interviewed for the post after McCarthy's dismissal, has suggested the task of trying to keep Wolves in the top flight is not a job for a rookie.

But Connor, who was McCarthy's assistant, has vowed not to quit and retains optimism that he can preserve Wolves' Premier League status, with the club just a point from safety with 10 games to go.
    Reports on Thursday morning, though, claimed that Wolves owner Steve Morgan was considering another change, with Megson put forward as the man to be parachuted in to save the Black County side.

Megson was recently sacked by League One promotion hopefuls Sheffield Wednesday and has experience of a Premier League relegation battle from his time at Bolton Wanderers.
    Wolves have moved swiftly to deny the speculation, though, stating on their official Twitter feed: "No truth in today's Gary Megson story at all."

Uploads

Steve Bruce: Thinks Connor has a tough job

BRUCE: WOLVES JOB TOUGH FOR CONNOR

Steve Bruce believes rookie Wolves boss Terry Connor will have his work cut out trying to keep the club in the Barclays Premier League.
    Bruce was interviewed by the club during a much-criticised recrutiment process in the wake of Mick McCarthy's departure from Molineux.
    Despite Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey saying it was "not a job for a novice", they eventually elevated Connor, McCartney's assistant, after a number of higher-profile candidates seemingly turned it down.

Bruce was an option they ultimately overlooked.
    "I went for an interview and at one stage I thought it was close," the former Sunderland boss told the Daily Mail. "I didn't go for a second interview, although there was dialogue.
    "In the end they decided to go with Terry and that is entirely their prerogative.
    "I wish him and them all the best because it is a difficult job for an experienced manager, let alone someone trying to cut their teeth.
    "For me, it wasn't to be, which is a shame because it's got all the ingredients to be a really good job for someone."

Bruce left Sunderland earlier this season amid a run of poor form which saw the fans at the Stadium of Light turn against him.

Bruce said he thought his Geordie roots were the cause of much of the abuse, and added: "It was vicious. And don't let anyone tell you that being out of work doesn't hurt.
    "You are deemed a failure, and I don't think I am."
    He continued: "My record stacks up."
    Meanwhile Wolves tweeted on Thursday morning that there is no truth in newspaper reports linking Gary Megson with the club.

Uploads

Javier Mascherano: Wants Guardiola to stay

MASCHERANO HOPING GUARDIOLA STAYS

Javier Mascherano insists the Barcelona players are not ready to let Pep Guardiola move on as coach at the end of the season.
    Guardiola's rolling one-year deal expires in the summer and he has yet to make a decision on whether to remain at the Camp Nou helm.
    The former Spain international has been mooted as a candidate to replace Andre Villas-Boas at Chelsea and there have also been suggestions he could take a 12-month break from football.

However, Mascherano says Guardiola means more to the club than just being able to deliver trophies and hopes he will not leave.
    "We're not prepared for Guardiola to leave, and not just because he has won everything there is to win," the Argentina international told a press conference.
    "He has something else that is very important and that is that the club is very united and everyone backs him at the club.
    "People respect him not only for what he's won, but how he's won. Nobody should make the mistake of thinking that we only want him to be with us because he makes us win."

UEFA Champions League holders Barcelona are awaiting Friday's draw for the quarter-finals and Mascherano has no preference regarding an opponent.
    He added: "It's very difficult to have a favourite team to meet in the next round. It's the best eight teams in Europe, so we'll see who we get in the next round.
    "Real Madrid are, of course, one of the favourites because they have a very strong team and they're playing very consistently."

Uploads

Hayden Mullins: Joins Reading on loan

MULLINS JOINS READING ON LOAN

Reading have signed Portsmouth midfielder Hayden Mullins on loan for the remainder of the season as the financial crisis continues to bite at Fratton Park.
    With Pompey in administration and desperate to cut costs, Mullins, who was named the club's player of the year last term, has made the journey to the Madejski Stadium.
    The versatile 32-year-old, who can operate in defence if necessary, trades in the relegation scrap on the South Coast for a promotion push in Berkshire for the final 10 games of the campaign.
    The former Crystal Palace and West Ham player, whose last appearance for Pompey ironically came against the Royals on 6th March, follows the likes of Erik Huseklepp and Liam Lawrence in moving on.

His departure further reduces Michael Appleton's options in Portsmouth's battle against relegation, but will be a welcome addition for Brian McDermott as he sets his sights on promotion to the Premier League.
    Royals director of football Nick Hammond told the club's official website: "We are delighted that Hayden has signed.
    "We have known him for a long time and he has come close to signing on a few occasions in the past.
    "He has great experience and also versatility. Importantly, as a person he will also be a very good for our group."

Uploads

Carlos Edwards: New contract

EDWARDS AGREES IPSWICH DEAL

Ipswich have confirmed Carlos Edwards has agreed a new contract to stay at Portman Road next season with the option of a further year.
    Edwards' deal was due to expire in the summer, but the 33-year-old has been a virtual ever-present for Paul Jewell's side this season.

The Trinidad & Tobago international has started all but one game in the Championship and has made over 110 appearances since joining Ipswich from Sunderland in 2009.
    Formerly a winger, Edwards has been Jewell's first-choice right-back this season and Town are delighted he will be staying at the club.
    "We have had good dialogue with Carlos over the last few weeks and I'm delighted to confirm that we have agreed terms with him over a deal for next season," chief executive Simon Clegg told the club's official website.

Jewell may now turn his attention to agreeing new deals for other members of his first-team squad, with Lee Bowyer, Grant Leadbitter, Jason Scotland, Tommy Smith, Ibrahima Sonko and Richard Wright all out of contract in the summer.

Uploads

Kari Arnason: Not ruled out a new contract

ARNASON HOPES FOR ABERDEEN DEAL

Aberdeen midfielder Kari Arnason insists he has yet to rule out signing a new contract at Pittodrie as he considers his future.
    Arnason has impressed in making 31 appearances for Aberdeen since joining the SPL club last summer following his departure from Plymouth Argyle.
    The Iceland international rejected a new contract back in January and Dons boss Craig Brown confirmed he would be planning for next season without Arnason.
    Brown suggested the club would be unable to increase their offer to Arnason, but the 29-year-old is still hoping that an agreement can be reached.

"I would love to stay because Aberdeen is a great city, I love the people and it's a brilliant club," said Arnason in the Daily Record.
    "But I am nearly 30 and this could be my last contract so I have to think of a lot of factors.
    "The fact I lost so much money at Plymouth came into it as well. I'd love to continue playing until I am 38 but you never know with injuries. Just look at the weekend and what happened with Fraser Fyvie. So I would hope we can get a mutual agreement."