Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 18-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 18-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 18-03-2012

Lampard: Villas-Boas too focused on future

LAMPARD: AVB LOST SIGHT OF PRESENT

Frank Lampard believes Andre Villas-Boas spent too much time focusing on the future of Chelsea and lost sight of the present.
    Villas-Boas was sacked earlier this month following a run of poor results, and his fractious relationship with some of his senior players was one of the factors behind his downfall.
    As one of the older players who lost his automatic first-team place as Villas-Boas looked to refresh the side, Lampard openly admitted his relationship with the Portuguese was difficult.

And the 33-year-old told The Sun Sunday: "His plan was long-term. But somewhere in the middle of that, the present didn't go so well - and that's where the problems came.
    "To be fair to AVB, that was part of the remit and I get that we need to move on and change. But you can't lose sight of the present."
    Lampard and Ashley Cole were left out of the side for the first leg of their Champions League tie against Napoli, which they lost 3-1 in Italy.
    Lampard admitted he had told Villas-Boas what he thought of that decision, adding: "I wasn't disrespectful. I just told him I thought I should be playing."

He added: "I told him what I felt and he had no problem with me saying it.
    "I wasn't making a stand. The fact we might not have seen eye to eye was irrelevant to me."
    Lampard also revealed he had send a text to Villas-Boas after his departure and received a reply.
    "He thanked me for being a top professional, which I appreciated," Lampard said. "A lot of people think the players didn't play for him or respond. We did but it just didn't work out."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 18-03-2012

Paul Peschisolido: Sacked by Burton

BURTON SACK PAUL PESCHISOLIDO

Burton Albion have sacked manager Paul Peschisolido after a 4-1 home defeat to Torquay extended the npower League Two club's winless run to 14 matches.
    Former Derby, Sheffield United, Birmingham, Fulham and Stoke midfielder Peschisolido, 40, in his third season in charge of the Brewers, left the club following a meeting with chairman Ben Robinson immediately after their latest defeat.
    Robinson said in a statement: "In all honesty looking at how the team played I think it's clear that the time has come for a change.

"If we continue on our current run of form the teams below us will catch us up and we will find ourselves in a relegation battle, which would be especially disappointing considering our wage budget is considerably higher than last season when we avoided relegation in the second to last game of the season.
    "I have asked Gary Rowett and Kevin Poole to take charge of the team for Tuesday evening's game against Northampton Town."
    Canadian-born Peschisolido, who replaced Roy McFarland as Brewers boss in May 2009, said: "I'm devastated obviously with how things have gone recently, but Burton Albion will remain close to my heart and I'm sure things will pick back up again on the pitch."

Uploads

Dalglish: Backs Gerrard to continue

DALGLISH BACKS GERRARD TO GO ON

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has backed Steven Gerrard to maintain his superb form for many years to come.
    The Scot, who is the oldest player to have represented the club in the post-war era, believes the Reds skipper can go beyond the age of 39 if he continues producing inspirational displays.
    Gerrard is approaching his 32nd birthday, and Dalglish insists he can emulate Ryan Giggs by extending his playing career well into his late 30s.
    "Whatever is going to happen, while he is here he will be a fantastic asset for us - and Stevie will look after himself because all the lads know how to look after themselves these days," the Anfield boss told the Daily Mirror.

"If anybody wants to be a player at that age there is an important role to be played off the pitch as well as on it.
    "Stevie can play wherever he wants. We know he is going to be here, giving us the best service he is capable of giving anybody like he has done so far and we'll go along with that and manage Steven as well he manages himself, and who knows what can happen."
    Dalglish feels the Reds captain is almost a unique talent and remains their biggest goal threat after his stunning derby-day hat-trick against Everton in midweek.

"It's a rare thing to have someone like him play as a one-club man for their entire career," he added.
    "There's only a few around now. John Terry would be one and there are a couple along the East Lancs Road. We've got a couple here (with Jamie Carragher).
    "They are fewer and farther between than they used to be, but everyone who does it, it is because they have the ability to do it and they are at a fantastic club.

"Steven has maintained an incredible level. He sets the standard.
    "The first thing to do is create the chances, the second is to believe we are good enough finish them off and the third thing is to put them away."

Uploads

Gregg Wylde: Three-year deal with Bolton

GREGG WYLDE JOINS BOLTON

Bolton have moved quickly to sign winger Gregg Wylde on a three-year contract following his voluntary departure from Rangers last week.
    The 20-year-old joins the Trotters on a free transfer after he was one of two players to leave crisis-hit club Rangers to help ease their financial worries.
    Wylde helped the Gers to the Clydesdale Bank Premier League title last season but will be thrust into a relegation fight with the Trotters.
    Manager Owen Coyle believe Wylde's arrival will boost his side's hopes of beating the drop, with Bolton just a point above the relegation places .
    "To capture a player of Gregg Wylde's talent is a fantastic bit of business for the football club, especially given the interest that was shown in him by a number of other Premier League teams,'' he said.

"He is young, quick and exciting, and has played at a very high level with Glasgow Rangers, both domestically and in Europe.
    "Gregg is a creator and scorer of goals. We are thrilled to have him on board and everyone is looking forward to working with him.''
    The Scotland under-21 international's move is not yet assured, however, with the deal still subject to authorisation and clearance from FIFA.
    Bolton were able to make their move for Wylde after he walked away from Rangers, who entered administration last month.
    Wylde and Mervan Celik left Ibrox to help save the club financially, with the winger telling the Scottish Sun after his exit: ''It was dragging on and on so I just decided to put my hand up to go to try and save some jobs. I just wanted to help the club.

"There are people in there who need a wage more than I do right now.
    "My wages might not save a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but I'm just glad to be able to help in some way.''

Uploads

Jan Vertonghen: Linked with Arsenal switch

VERTONGHEN EYES ARSENAL SWITCH

Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen admits he would "gladly" make a move to Arsenal, should the opportunity arise.
    Speculation has been surrounding the 24-year-old since he was spotted at the Emirates Stadium during Arsenal's 3-0 win over AC Milan earlier this month.
    Vertonghen's contract expires in June 2013 but Ajax are expected to cash in on his talents this summer while they can still command a fee, with the centre-half reluctant to pen new terms.
    The Belgian, who has scored six goals in the Dutch Eredivisie this season, admits he was a guest of compatriot Thomas Vermaelen at the Milan game, but cannot deny his interest in a potential move.

"I have instructed my agent carefully. He knows which clubs I want to join, and Arsenal are one of them," he said.
    "Arsenal are a magnificent club and I hear a lot of good things about English football," he added. "If a club of Arsenal's calibre can reach agreement with Ajax, then I will gladly go over.
    "I haven't signed anything with them yet. But I went to watch them against Milan, together with my Ajax team-mate Siem de Jong, after Vermaelen invited us."
    Vertonghen has repeatedly expressed his desire to play in the Premier League, with Newcastle and Arsenal's bitter rivals Tottenham also rumoured to be monitoring his situation.

Uploads

Fabio Capello: Former England manager

FABIO CAPELLO REMAINS DEFIANT

Fabio Capello has maintained that his decision to resign as England manager was correct because of the Football Association's stance on John Terry.
    Capello quit his post as England manager last month when the FA stripped Chelsea defender Terry of the captaincy because of allegations of racist abuse towards QPR's Anton Ferdinand.
    Terry denies the charges and will stand trial on July 9, after the Euro 2012 campaign.
    "One is innocent until proven guilty," Capello told Rai Tre TV programme 'Che tempo che fa'.

"Why should I take the armband off Terry, seeing as I had only just given it back to him after two years?
    "The trial will be on July 9 and I asked them to wait for the case to be heard and then make a decision."
    Capello, who was appointed as Steve McClaren's successor back in 2007, was extremely happy living in London and coaching the national team.

"I was very happy in England," the Italian said.
    "It's a magnificent place to work and to play football.
    "It was a lovely experience.
    "London is a great city where you have everything.
    "The rapport with clubs and players was great until the moment the John Terry situation happened."
    England have yet to name Capello's replacement but the Italian has some advice for his future successor.
    "Being England manager is an important role," he said. "A very important role.

"You are always in the eye of the storm and have the media focused on you at all times but it's something beautiful."
    The 65-year-old has been strongly linked with a return to Serie A, with Inter Milan reportedly interested in acquiring his services this summer.
    However, Capello said: "I will not coach in Italy any more.

"I will only coach abroad if there is anything interesting.

"I am a child of the world, I like to experience new countries and different cultures."

Uploads

Gylfi Sigurdsson: Scored twice against Fulham

RODGERS WANTS TO KEEP DUO

Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers is looking to tie down the futures of Gylfi Sigurdsson and Scott Sinclair.
    Sigurdsson is currently on loan with Swansea until the end of the season from Bundesliga outfit Hoffenheim.
    The Icelander has made a massive impact in South Wales since his move and has scored five goals in nine Premier League games.
    After his brace helped Swansea to a 3-0 win at Fulham, Rodgers underlined his determination to land Sigurdsson on a permanent deal.
    "We have spoken to his agent and I've made the chairman aware of my feelings but, ultimately, it's whether Hoffenheim want to sell him," he said.
    "We needed a goal-scoring midfielder and he has fitted in well with this group of players."

Likewise, Rodgers is hoping that winger Sinclair will commit his future to the club and sign a new deal.
    "There have been initial discussions," he said.
    "He's very happy here. It's not been put on the back-burner.
    "He knows he's in a great place to develop so, hopefully, we can agree a new deal."

Uploads

Junior Hoilett: Focus on football

JUNIOR HOILETT QUIET ON FUTURE

Junior Hoilett has refused to speculate on his future, insisting he is fully focused on Blackburn's relegation scrap.
    The winger has impressed during manager Steve Kean's reign and is being monitored by the likes of Tottenham and Newcastle with his contract due to expire this summer.

Blackburn are currently three points clear of the relegation zone but are by no means safe from harm, despite a recent turn in fortunes.
    Relegation would almost certainly see Hoilett leave Ewood Park, but the 21-year-old remains tight-lipped as he continues to strive for his club's cause.

He told The Mirror: "I just focus on my football. Whatever happens off the field, happens off the field."
    Hoiltett has netted five Premier League goals this term, gaining admirers for his explosive style.

Uploads

Guus Hiddink: Anzhi coach

HIDDINK TO DISCUSS ANAZHI ROLE

Guus Hiddink has revealed that he will evaluate his situation with Anzhi Makhachkala in June, when there is a possibility his contract could be brought to an end.
    Hiddink took charge of the ambitious Russian club in February, just a few weeks before Andre Villas-Boas was dismissed as Chelsea manager to leave Roman Abramovich looking for a permanent successor.
    Hiddink is a trusted friend of the Blues owner and enjoyed a short stint at the Stamford Bridge helm in a caretaker capacity in 2009, but his involvement with Anzhi meant that he was not among the favourites to replace Villas-Boas.
    However, it has now emerged that the Dutchman will have the opportunity to discuss his role with Anzhi in the summer, when either party could bring their agreement to an end.

"I have a deal until the middle of June. Then the club and I both have the possibility to end the contract," said Hiddink in the Sunday Mirror.
    "We will evaluate the situation in June. If we both feel like we want to carry on, we will.''
    Roberto Di Matteo was named as the interim manager at Chelsea following Villas-Boas' departure and insists he has given no thought to asking about the permanent position despite winning his first three games in charge.
    Fresh reports on Sunday suggest Hiddink's Dutch compatriot Louis van Gaal is now a leading contender for the role as he looks to return to management after a year-long break.

Uploads

Laurent Fournier: Auxerre exit

LAURENT FOURNIER LEAVES AUXERRE

Auxerre have parted company with coach Laurent Fournier following Sunday's 2-0 Ligue 1 defeat at home to Evian, the club have confirmed.
    Auxerre lie second bottom of the table and could drop to the foot should Sochaux avoid defeat against Nice on Sunday.
    A statement on the club's official website read: "This morning president Gerard Bourgoin had a meeting with the coaching staff and the players and came out three quarters of an hour later.

"In front of a large number of journalists he made a statement to announce that Laurent Fournier is no longer the coach of Auxerre."
    Auxerre, who finished third in the table just two seasons ago and were in the group stage of the Champions League last season, have not won in the league since December 11.
    Saturday's defeat followed three straight draws, but the club have decided a change is needed if they are to avoid dropping into the second tier.
    They have won just four times all season and are five points from safety.