Thompson to leave BBC after Olympics

Editor ©RapidTVNews | 20-03-2012

Just as the flame dies over the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, so will the reign of Mark Thompson as BBC Director General.

The news comes only weeks after Thompson first announced his eight-year stint as DG would come to an end sometime in 2012 and is an acceptance that it would be appropriate to hand over to a successor and to step down as director general of the BBC would be the autumn of 2012.

In a message to BBC staff, Thompson BBC asserted that he would be leaving a stronger BBC than what he inherited back in 2004. He pointed to trust and approval are at record highs, and claimed that the corporation had demonstrated beyond contradiction that the BBC can be just as much of a leader and innovator in the digital age as it once was in the analogue one.
He said: “From the point of view of the BBC, I thought that my successor should have time to really get their feet under the table before the next charter review process got going…I have told the [BBC Trust] chairman [Chris Patten] that I believe that he and the Trust should begin the public process of finding the next DG as soon as they see fit. I will of course help them in that endeavour in any way I can. We can address the exact date of the handover once an appointment is made, though I have made it clear that I want to be guided by the wishes of the Trust and of my successor, whoever that may be.”