Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 22-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 22-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 22-03-2012

Mario Gomez: Regular source of goals

GOMEZ BAYERN EXTENSION CLOSE

Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez's agent claims his client is close to agreeing a contract extension at the Allianz Arena.
    The Germany international is already tied to the Bundesliga giants until June 2013, but Bayern are keen to secure his services for a further three years.
    Gomez has been in red-hot form this season, netting 33 times in all competitions.
    Bayern are understandably keen to ensure that he does not take that considerable firepower elsewhere and discussions regarding fresh terms have already been opened.

Gomez's representative is confident those talks will produce a positive outcome, with the 26-year-old forward happy in his current surroundings.
    "We have made some progress," Uli Ferber told Sport-BILD.
    "Mario is enjoying his spell at Bayern Munich and he likes the city. We have therefore not been looking at any other options at any other club.
    "At this point in time a new contract with Bayern Munich looks very likely. There is almost nothing against it."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 22-03-2012

Gylfi Sigurdsson: Has impressed at the Liberty Stadium

SWANSEA YET TO BID FOR SIGURDSSON

Hoffenheim sporting director Ernst Tanner says the club have yet to receive an offer from Swansea for loan star Gylfi Sigurdsson.
    The Swans have expressed a desire to keep the Iceland international past the end of the season, when his short-term deal with the club is set to expire.
    Brendan Rodgers has been suitably impressed by the former Reading midfielder, with Sigurdsson having netted five goals in his last six Premier League outings.
    Swansea have yet to discuss the prospect of striking a permanent deal with Hoffenheim, though, and Tanner has hinted that they may have to wait until the summer before opening discussions.
    "Someone would have to come to us and also get an agreement with the player if there was to be any interest at all - but to me there is absolutely no offer there," he said.

"But this is the wrong time of the season to talk about this."
    While Tanner has refused to rule out an agreement with Swansea, new Hoffenheim boss Markus Babbel has revealed that he is keen to bring the 22-year-old back to Germany.
    He said: "He is still under contract with Hoffenheim and I expect to see him back here in the summer."

Uploads

Benik Afobe: Joins Reading on loan

AFOBE MAKES READING LOAN MOVE

Reading have agreed a deal to sign England youth international forward Benik Afobe on loan from Arsenal.
    Afobe, who has previously gained Football League experience on loan with Huddersfield, joins the Royals until the end of the season.
    And Brian McDermott is delighted with the capture of the 19-year-old, who can play both up front and out wide.

McDermott said: "We're delighted to have him, he wanted to come here and that was important because he had other options.
    "We know him very well, we have watched him from a very young age. He's played a lot of games for England right up to the under 19s and then out on loan last season as well.
    "He's a good addition to the squad and will help us with eight games to go."

Uploads

Kallum Higginbotham: Barnsley loan move

BARNSLEY SIGN HIGGINBOTHAM

Barnsley have completed the signing of striker Kallum Higginbotham on an emergency loan from Huddersfield.
    The Terriers signed the 22-year-old from Falkirk on a two-and-a-half-year contract during the January transfer window.
    Huddersfield beat off competition from the likes of Celtic and Rangers to land the Salford born forward, who is also a recognised winger.

But Higginbotham has made only two appearances for the League One promotion chasers, and he has now been snapped up by the injury-hit Tykes.
    Higginbotham started his career with Rochdale and had two loan spells with Accrington before joining Falkirk, where he scored seven goals in 50 appearances.

Uploads

Krassimir Balakov: Heading for Germany

BALAKOV SET FOR KAISERSLAUTERN POST

Krassimir Balakov is expected to be named as Kaiserslautern's new coach at a press conference later today.
    The former Stuttgart midfielder announced on Thursday morning that he is quitting as boss of Hajduk Split to take over at the Bundesliga strugglers.
    He is due to arrive in Germany this afternoon to begin preparations for Kaiserslautern's trip to Freiburg on Saturday.

"I have accepted Kaiserslautern's offer because I believe that things will work out and that we will be able to pull ourselves out of there and avoid relegation," he is quoted as saying by Germany's Bild newspaper.
    The Red Devils are currently six points adrift of safety at the foot of the table.
    A run of 16 games without a win convinced them to part company with Marco Kurz on Tuesday and now Balakov will have eight games to revive their fortunes.

Uploads

Jay McEveley: Swindon loan move

McEVELEY MAKES SWINDON LOAN MOVE

Swindon have signed Barnsley defender Jay McEveley on loan until the end of the season.
    The left-back, who has made 29 appearances for the Tykes in the npower Championship this season, joins the Robins as they look to seal the npower League Two title.

McEveley started his career with Blackburn before spells with Burnley, Gillingham, Ipswich and Derby preceded his move to Oakwell in the summer of 2010.
    McEveley will compete with Callum Kennedy and Alessandro Cibocchi for a place on the left of Swindon's defence.

Uploads

Jonathan Bond: Back with Watford

BOND RECALLED BY HORNETS

Watford goalkeeper Jonathan Bond has been recalled early from his loan stint at Dagenham & Redbridge.
    The League Two side brought in the 18-year-old last month while first-choice Chris Lewington served a two-game suspension.
    The Wales Under-19 international has made five appearances and kept two clean sheets for the Daggers, who are bottom of League Two but level on points with Macclesfield and Hereford.

Bond was scheduled to return to the Hornets on Sunday.
    "Jonathan came in when we had the problem with Chris Lewington's suspension and he came in for a month with the likelihood being that he'd return after that month," said Daggers manager John Still.
    "So I'd like to thank Jonathan for his contribution, he did really well for us at a difficult time and we wish him the best of luck for the future."

Uploads

Brian Kennedy: Met with McCoist on Wednesday

KENNEDY CONTINUES RANGERS INTEREST

Sale Sharks owner Brian Kennedy was at Ibrox on Wednesday as Rangers' administrators continue with attempts to sell the club.
    Four indicative bids have been tabled with Duff and Phelps for the stricken Scottish champions, who were forced into administration last month.
    Kennedy and former Ibrox director Paul Murray's consortium are the only confirmed bidders with an American consortium also reported to be among the interested parties.
    Manager Ally McCoist was also at the stadium on Wednesday afternoon, as Rangers attempt to resolve their off-field issues, while trying to ensure a return to winning ways on the park.
    They suffered a third defeat in four games since going into administration when they lost against Dundee United on Saturday.
    The loss at Tannadice means rivals Celtic could clinch the Clydesdale Bank Premier League title at Ibrox on Sunday if Motherwell drop points to Kilmarnock on Saturday.
    However, David Healy believes the Light Blues must take confidence from their last home meeting with the Hoops - an emphatic 4-2 victory at Ibrox in September.
    The striker said: "It's going to be a tough challenge and it's always a big game, the Old Firm.
    "I know everybody here is looking forward to it and Celtic will be looking to bounce back after their disappointment in the [Scottish Communities League] Cup final.

"We lost at Dundee United and Celtic lost in the cup final so we'll both want to bounce back - and there's everything that goes with the Old Firm in terms of the passion and Celtic might have the chance to win the league.
    "But we beat them earlier in the season, which was an incredible game and performance.
    "The atmosphere that day was electric so I know there is going to be a huge, passionate support for both sides on Sunday and everybody is going to be looking forward to it.
    "The gaffer, from now up until the end of this week, will be getting us all prepared in terms of what way we are going to play, who is possibly going to play and the dangers we will face against Celtic.
    "They have got a good squad and good players, players that can hurt you.

"But come Sunday hopefully we will have done enough during the week to know how we can go out and get the right result."
    The club revealed the total raised by supporters contributing to the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund broke through the 150,000 barrier on Wednesday afternoon.
    And Healy believes fans deserve a victory against their biggest rivals this weekend after rallying around the club during a difficult period.
    He told www.rangers.co.uk: "It's not been an easy time, especially for the supporters, because results have gone against us for whatever reason.
    "It's been three or four weeks since everything has settled down a bit and it's time for the players on the pitch to go out and give the supporters, who have backed us 100%, something to cheer about.
    "But it's not been easy, going to Dundee United with a makeshift back-four is tough because they are a good side which they proved in the cup against us.
    "No disrespect to the lads who played at the back because they probably played well but Jig (Lee McCulloch) filled in at centre-half and he's also played in midfield and as a striker this year.

"That's sort of where we are with the squad at this minute and to go to Dundee United at any time during the season is tough.
    "To go there with four of five young boys starting was always going to be a difficult task.
    "But the gaffer said he can take a lot of positives from the game and I'm sure he'll watch the video again and hopefully he can pick the right team for the biggest game of the season so far."
    A spokesperson for Kennedy said on Wednesday: "Brian has visited Ibrox and Murray park today which is part of the process.
    "There is no further comment at this time."

Uploads

Demba Ba: Linked with Chelsea switch

DEMBA BA IGNORES CHELSEA 'RUMOURS'

Demba Ba has played down reports linking him with Chelsea and insists he is happy at Newcastle.
    The Senegal international's 16 Premier League goals this season have seen him mentioned as a possible replacement for Didier Drogba, who will be out of contract in the summer.

Chelsea are expected to overhaul their squad at the end of the season, when a new manager is likely to be appointed, and Frank Lampard and Michael Essien could also be leaving, while Fernando Torres has failed to justify his 50million price-tag.
    Ba, 26, is a possible recruit and, with what is understood to be a 7m release clause in his contract, would prove excellent value for money to succeed 33-year-old Ivory Coast star Drogba.

But he has no plans to quit St James' Park, where he still has more than two years remaining on a contract, and he is building a partnership with compatriot Papiss Cisse.
    Ba told Sky Sports when asked about a possible move to Chelsea: "It is rumours like you get in football.
    "I am happy with Newcastle and I enjoy being here and playing for the Toon Army. I enjoy being in this team.
    "We have a good team spirit and I love the North East, where I have my country-mate, Papiss Cisse."
    Ba joined Newcastle last summer after becoming a free agent due to a clause in his contract following West Ham's relegation from the Premier League.
    Drogba is reportedly set to join mega-rich Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua, where he would be reunited with former Chelsea team-mate Nicolas Anelka.
    There has also been speculation that Cheick Tiote has already agreed to move to Stamford Bridge next season as a replacement for Essien.

Uploads

Charles N'Zogbia: More to come at Aston Villa

McLEISH DENIES N'ZOGBIA RIFT

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish believes the best is still to come from winger Charles N'Zogbia but insists there are no problems with their relationship.
    N'Zogbia took exception to comments made by McLeish after a game where he was quoted as saying the former Wigan player preferred cars to playing football.
    But the misunderstanding has been resolved and N'Zogbia has recently shown some of his best form since his 9million summer move to Villa.
    When asked about his relationship with the player, McLeish said: "Listen, I'm quite a laid-back manager. If the players are doing it for me on the pitch, then it's not a problem.
    "They will get in the side, it's as simple as that.
    "I was supposed to have said something about Charles spending money on fast cars. I've no reason to single Charles out for that and I told him that. I was talking about players in general.

"Charles realises that now. It was after the Bolton game when I was really pleased with the performance and I was doing a rallying cry to all the players to be winners.
    "I said 'think about being a winner first before you reward yourself with a fast car'.
    "I'm like Charles, definitely. If I had the money in my day that these guys are earning, I'd have had fast cars because I love fast cars."
    In terms of N'Zogbia's performances, McLeish said: "I think there is more to come from him. I'm certain Charles would agree with that, his final cross, his final pass, his finishing.

"All these things he is capable of producing. I am sure his moment will come."
    McLeish is looking for Villa to build on their win over Fulham a fortnight ago when they visit in-form Arsenal on Saturday.
    He said: "I think we were a bit frustrated not to get the other home game but there was no hesitation in cancelling the Bolton game (following Trotters midfielder Fabrice Muamba's cardiac arrest).
    "But we would have liked the momentum from the Fulham performance and victory to go into another home game.
    "Arsenal are in top form but we've won there before and should go there with belief."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast