Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 23-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 23-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 23-03-2012

Luis Suarez: Still contracted until 2016

LIVERPOOL PLAN LUIS SUAREZ TALKS

Liverpool managing director Iain Ayre has intimated that talks will be held with striker Luis Suarez over a new deal this summer.
    The Uruguayan signed a five-and-a-half year deal on his arrival at Anfield in January 2011 but they are keen to extend that despite a troubled season.

Suarez was banned for eight games earlier in the year after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.
    He was linked with a number of clubs across Europe in the aftermath, but Liverpool are keen to stave off any interest from elsewhere.
    "Listen, he's got a contract until 2016, he has said he wants to stay. I am sure Damien will be speaking to his agent," said Ayre.

"Who wouldn't want Luis Suarez? He is absolutely fantastic. He is such a popular member of our team.
    "But they are the things we talk about behind closed doors, and we will further that discussion when it is right and proper.
    "Luis is a vital and important part of our set-up, and long may that continue."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 23-03-2012

Scott Sinclair: has played a key role

SWANSEA KEEN TO TIE DOWN DUO

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers has revealed the club have opened contract talks with Leon Britton and Scott Sinclair.
    Both players are out of contract at the Liberty Stadium at the end of next season but Rodgers is keen to tie them down on longer deals before the new campaign gets under way.
    Midfielder Britton has established himself as a key performer since returning to South Wales from a short spell at Sheffield United 14 months ago, while winger Sinclair played an influential role in the Swans' promotion to the Premier League and has carried his impressive form into the top-flight.
    Rodgers told the South Wales Evening Post: "We are in discussions with Leon at the moment.
    "When he came back to the club, he came back on a deal that was about him proving himself again and proving himself to me as a new manager.
    "There's no doubt he has done that, and he is one we would like to tie down.
    "We have not started anything major yet with Scotty, but I would also hope to get a new contract sorted out with him before the end of the season.
    "He and I have had a chat and the chairman has spoken to his agent, so we will see how things go on that one."
    Rodgers' focus is on Britton and Sinclair after many of Swansea's key players penned long-term deals following the club's promotion last season.
    "A lot of the others were secured last summer, and they are two we would like to add to the list of players who have committed to the club in the long term," he added.
    "Leon has become a very important player for us, and part of the contract he signed when he came back was that if he played a certain number of games, his contract would be up for renewal.
    "That's where we are at now with Leon and we want to get things sorted out with him.
    "Scotty will also be going into the last year of his contract next year and that's not something we would like to run on for much longer.
    "He has been brilliant for this club and he is someone we want to secure going forward.
    "These things can take a wee bit of time to sort out, but the most important thing is that Scott's very happy here."

Uploads

Cha Du-Ri: Contract ends in the summer

CHA UNSURE OVER CELTIC DEAL

Celtic defender Cha Du-Ri admits he is unsure if he will be offered a new contract by the club.
    The South Korean has failed to hold down a regular place in Neil Lennon's first team this season with Adam Matthews first choice at right-back.
    And with his current deal due to expire in the summer the 32-year-old fears he may be surplus to requirements at Parkhead.

"At my age I am not the youngest so we will just have to wait and see what happens," Cha told CelticTV.
    "But it doesn't matter, when I leave here I'll be very happy to say I had the chance to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world.
    "I like Scotland, so does my wife and kids. I am very happy and proud to be able to say I have played for Celtic."

Uploads

Stephen Dobbie: Back to Blackpool

DOBBIE RETURNS TO BLACKPOOL

Blackpool have signed midfielder Stephen Dobbie on loan from Swansea until the end of the season.
    Dobbie was a popular figure at Bloomfield Road during a four-month spell with the club in 2010, when he played a vital role in helping the Tangerines win promotion to the Premier League.
    The Scot was also instrumental in getting Swansea into the top flight last season, but he has been restricted to only two league starts this term.
    Swans boss Brendan Rodgers said: "He has been a valuable member of our squad this season and a top professional. His attitude and commitment has been fantastic.

"But with just nine games to go it will be good for him to get some games. There were a lot of clubs interested. He picked Blackpool and I'm sure he will have another successful spell there.''
    Blackpool manager Ian Holloway added: "I am delighted to welcome Stephen back to the club.
    "I have tried to sign him a number of times since his successful loan in 2010 and he will give us a massive boost for the run in."

Uploads

Hogan Ephraim: Joins Bristol City on loan

TRIPLE DEAL FOR ROBINS

Bristol City have completed the loan signings of Hogan Ephraim, Andre Amougou and Dekel Keinan.
    Forward Ephraim joins the Robins from QPR on a deal until the end of the season, while defender Amougou moves to Ashton Gate from Burnley until April 21.

Keinan arrives from Cardiff and the Israel defender will stay until the end of the campaign.
    Ephraim has struggled for first-team chances at Loftus Road this season, turning out just three times for his parent club, and the 23-year-old enjoyed a spell at Charlton earlier in the campaign.

Amougou, who is out of contract with the Clarets in the summer, has made 17 appearances for Burnley this term but has not featured for the Lancashire outfit since the 4-1 defeat at Norwich in the third round of the FA Cup in January.
    Both Ephraim and Amougou could make their City debuts against Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium on Saturday.
    Keinan last played for Cardiff in January and is waiting for international clearance from FIFA to see if he can feature in the clash with Boro.

Uploads

John Guidetti: Wants to play football

GUIDETTI REITERATES MAN CITY STANCE

John Guidetti has reaffirmed his intention to leave Manchester City unless he is given a chance of first-team action next season.
    The Swedish striker is currently on loan at Dutch outfit Feyenoord, where he has impressed hugely with 18 goals in just 17 starts.
    Guidetti almost left City last summer when he agreed a pre-contract with FC Twente, but the Premier League club won the battle to retain his services on a new deal before sending him out on loan.
    But the precocious 19-year-old is ambitious and has already stated that he would only return to City to press for a first-team place.
    And he has reiterated his stance that he would only want to be back at the Etihad if he was challenging the likes of Sergio Aguero and Mario Balotelli.
    "I don't know what Man City are thinking but I want to play football," he told the Daily Mail.

"If I can't play at Manchester City - I'm a young boy - then I'll have to play somewhere else.
    "If I am going to be given a chance at City then I have to be on the same level as the other boys. If I'm given No 68, then I don't have a chance of playing. I have to see what comes up.
    "Maybe I'll get a chance to go to a big team that will give me No 9 or No 10 and say 'okay, we're ready to pay you this money'.

"I don't care about the money but in football it shows where you are. It says, "This is how much we believe in giving you this chance".
    "And I want the chance. I don't want to be a reserve at City, I can't be. I have to be honest with people, I'm not going to lie.
    "I'm not saying City should do this or that, maybe they don't want me - they can get any player in the world. Their wealth is extreme.
    "Maybe they want Van Persie or Messi. Those two are as tall as these buildings and I'm down here. I know that."
    Reports have suggested that City will look to reward Guidetti's progress with an improved contract before sending him on loan to a Premier League club in order to continue his education.

Uploads

James McClean: New deal done

McCLEAN SIGNS NEW SUNDERLAND DEAL

Sunderland winger James McClean has signed a new contract which will keep him at the Stadium of Light until the summer of 2015.
    The 22-year-old former Derry City midfielder has been rewarded for his meteoric rise on Wearside just seven months after his 500,000 switch to the Black Cats on a three-year deal.
    McClean said: "I'm thrilled to be here. I'm really enjoying my football and to have earned a new contract is a dream. I'm over the moon to see my next three years with Sunderland."

McClean was signed by former manager Steve Bruce, but made his senior debut as a substitute in his successor Martin O'Neill's first game in charge, a 2-1 Barclays Premier League victory over Blackburn on December 11.
    His first start arrived on New Year's Day in a famous 1-0 win over Manchester City, and he has remained in the team ever since.
    O'Neill said: "I am absolutely delighted that James has committed himself to the club.
    "He has had an explosive start to his career here at Sunderland and long may it continue."

McClean's form for his club sparked a clamour for recognition by the Republic of Ireland at senior international level, and the Derry-born player was belatedly added to Giovanni Trapattoni's squad for last month's 1-1 friendly draw with the Czech Republic.
    He was introduced as a late substitute to rapturous applause from the home fans at the Aviva Stadium, and the debate over whether or not he has a chance of going to the Euro 2012 finals has been raging ever since.

In the meantime, McClean has the prospect of Tuesday night's FA Cup quarter-final replay against Everton and the promise of a trip to Wembley to face Liverpool if Sunderland can see off David Moyes' men as a thrilling first season in England approaches its climax.

Uploads

Arsene Wenger: Looking to build squad's quality

WENGER WILL GAMBLE ON RIGHT PLAYER

Arsene Wenger is prepared to gamble on the right player this summer when he targets quality over quantity to strengthen Arsenal's squad.
    Wenger has denied that Germany striker Lukas Podolski is close to joining the Gunners in an 11million deal having undergone a medical.
    But the Arsenal boss admitted he is ready to scour the transfer market in his quest for high-quality additions to the squad.
    "Quantity-wise we will not do a lot. Quality-wise certainly, and we will take a gamble if we find top, top quality of course," he said.
    "The number of the squad is 25. We have many players out on loan and we have not had Jack Wilshere or Abou Diaby for the whole season.
    "These players will be back and that means number and quality wise we are strong because we are now in the position we are in without these players."
    Wenger shed little light on the timing of Podolski's arrival and stressed he would like to avoid the final-day flurry of activity that marked Arsenal's transfer business last summer.

"Nothing is done. It could happen soon, it could happen later, I don't know," he said.
    "Last year was terrible for us because we finished on the 31st August at 11.55pm and we do not want to repeat that."
    Wenger spoke at length on Fabrice Muamba, Bolton's former Arsenal striker who is making a remarkable recover from the cardiac arrest he suffered last Saturday.
    Muamba was sold to Birmingham in 2007 after spending two seasons at the Emirates Stadium and Wenger insisted the 23-year-old midfielder always possessed a fighting spirit.
    "Over the years we have stayed in touch with Fabrice. Against us, he was always very keen to prove that we made a mistake in letting him go.
    "He was always outstanding against us and I hope he will do that again soon.
    "Hopefully one day we will have the joy to see him on the football pitch again.

"It was obvious he was a fighter. Technically he was behind when he arrived here.
    "But when you looked at him, you would think 'oh, there is something to work on here' and that was his huge determination and desire.
    "I let him go for two reasons. The first one is that he had big players in front of him and it was very difficult to take them out and put Fabrice in at the time.
    "And the second reason is that he is so highly motivated that I felt he was ready to play and needed to play.
    "There always comes a moment in the career of a player that you play him now or you let him go.
    "I let him go for his benefit. He understood that very well."
    Arsenal are seeking their seventh successive Barclays Premier League win when they host Aston Villa on Saturday.
    They supplanted Tottenham in third place with their 1-0 victory over Everton on Wednesday night and Wenger believes the battle for Champions League football is intensifying.
    "Third is better than fourth, but if you have no choice, you take fourth and the opportunity. Let's see how it goes now," he said.
    "I believe Newcastle are still in the fight, as are Tottenham and Chelsea. Liverpool are maybe too far off, but you never know."

Uploads

Ally McCoist: Has met with two interested parties

CONFIRMED BIDDERS IMPRESS McCOIST

Rangers manager Ally McCoist would have no issues with either Brian Kennedy or former Ibrox director Paul Murray taking control of the club.
    Sale Sharks owner Kennedy and Murray's Blue Knights consortium are the only confirmed bidders for Rangers, with an American consortium also reported to be among the four interested parties.

Administrators Duff and Phelps have been keen to involve McCoist in the process as they seek a buyer for the stricken Scottish champions.
    McCoist said: "I had a couple of meetings this week. I met again with Brian Kennedy earlier in the week and I met again with Paul Murray.
    "Both of those gentlemen are very interested and have bids in to purchase the club and the meetings I had with both were extremely positive and very beneficial.
    "From a supporter's point of view - if I can put my supporter's hat on - I would have to say that I've been very impressed by both gentlemen. Certainly I would not have any problems at all with either of the gentlemen taking over."

Asked if he believed the situation was now reaching an end game, McCoist added: "I'm very, very hopeful that's the case. I don't have a crystal ball and I can't predict but I'm very hopeful it's going to come to a positive outcome."
    The Court of Session in Edinburgh are set to make a ruling on the validity of the Ticketus deal which saw owner Craig Whyte sell future season tickets to the firm for 24million last year.
    That decision is set to impact on the bidding process.

McCoist said: "It will have a big bearing I would imagine. We will have a better idea how we are all placed after this ruling. I imagine there will probably be a statement made after that ruling by the administrators."

Uploads

Lukas Podolski: Has not had a Gunners medical

WENGER DENIES LUKAS PODOLSKI DEAL

Arsene Wenger has denied the latest reports that Germany international Lukas Podolski has agreed to join Arsenal.
    The Cologne striker is widely expected to make the move to the North London club this summer, with claims on Friday that he had already undergone a medical with the Gunners.
    Wenger was quick to play down the current conjecture and claimed to be in the dark over any confirmation of the much-anticipated switch, with a fee of 10.9million having been mooted.
    The 26-year-old, who has won an impressive 95 caps for his country and played in two World Cups, has been similarly coy over his next move, with Wenger admitting that any transfer is dependent on the will of the former Bayern Munich striker.

"Nothing is done. No, he has not had a medical," Wenger told the club's official website.
    "I don't master the timing [of any announcement] because that does not just rely on us. It could happen soon, it could happen later, I don't know.
    "It is always a concern [that someone else could come in for him]. The speed in which you do things is important, but at the end of the day it is always the player who makes the decision.
    "It is about how much they want to join you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast