Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 26-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 26-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 26-03-2012

Tobias Schweinsteiger: Joins his brother at Bayern

DOUBLE TROUBLE FOR BAYERN

Bayern Munich are to unite the Schweinsteiger brothers after signing Bastian's older brother Tobias from next season.
    However, the brothers are not likely to be seen on the same pitch together since Tobias, who arrives from third-division side Jahn Regensburg, has been signed to play in Bayern's reserve team.
    "I am delighted that it has worked out and I hope that I can bring my experience to help the young players starting out their careers in professional football," said Tobias Schweinsteiger on the Bavarian club's website.

"Of course I am also looking forward to being able to play at the same club as my brother Bastian."
    Although Tobias has been signed for the reserve team, he will also be eligible to play for Bayern's senior side if required.
    The forward is the record goalscorer in the third division and has found the back of the net 12 times this season for Regensburg having previously played for Unterhaching, Lubeck and Eintracht Braunschweig.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 26-03-2012

Rio Ferdinand: Support from Sir Alex Ferguson

FERGIE LAUDS FERDINAND INFLUENCE

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Rio Ferdinand is still very much part of his long-term plans at Old Trafford.
    The England international is out of contract next year, but his Manchester United career does not like coming to an end any time soon.
    Having overcome an injury-plagued couple of seasons, Ferdinand has already played more games this term than he has since 2009.
    His injury record was one reason why Ferguson switched the captain's armband away from Ferdinand but he insists he is very much part of his plans.
    On a new deal, Ferguson said: "It is down to how he feels physically himself.

"He is still young for a centre-back, in normal terms you would expect a centre-back with his athleticism to play well into their thirties anyway.
    "We all know about his back problem, so we've had to manage that.
    "He has adapted really well to the challenge of making sure he is fit and fresh to play in the games when we need him.
    "How long he goes on for is all down to how he feels physically, other than
    that he has no issues at all."

Ferguson remains a confirmed fan of Ferdinand, who he signed from Leeds United in 2002.
    "I keep thinking I signed Rio three or four years ago, I forget he's been here for almost 10 years now," he said.
    "He has taken on that role of the influential person in the dressing room. He is great with the players.
    "If you can keep players long enough for their influence to spread - and in the modern game it's difficult to keep players for five or six years - they can take over from the older players as they disappear."

Uploads

Glenn Hoddle: Former England manager

HODDLE INTEREST IN CARETAKER ROLE

Former manager Glenn Hoddle has suggested he would be interested in leading England on a caretaker basis at this summer's European Championships.
    The 54-year-old last managed his country in 1998 - losing his job after comments made in a newspaper interview - and has not coached a side since leaving Wolves in 2006.
    But, with no-one installed as England boss for the summer tournament following Fabio Capello's departure, a number of names and options, in particular Harry Redknapp, Roy Hodgson and current caretaker Stuart Pearce, have been mentioned.

Hoddle, though, has added his name to that list by telling the Independent that he feels he has unfinished business with the national job.
    "If I were to die tomorrow, my life would be incomplete," he said, referring to his previous stint in charge.
    "Would I get that opportunity (to manage England again)? Probably not. But I don't dwell on the past and, if we fast-forward to the present, I think we have a batch of players capable of going to the Euros and doing well. I find it a very interesting moment.
    "Because Stuart Pearce, Harry Redknapp, Roy Hodgson, myself - anyone - who went to the tournament with the status of a caretaker would have the pressure off him and the players would be liberated too, not least those who have been on the fringes and are accustomed to thinking that the manager doesn't fancy them."

Hoddle, who won 53 caps for England as a player, does not think that using a caretaker coach is too bad an idea, should Redknapp not take the job on a permanent basis, citing the example of England's rugby union side and their temporary boss, Stuart Lancaster.
    "Look at how a caretaker has worked for the England rugby team in the 6 Nations - they've done fantastically," he added.
    "Everyone's got an edge. No-one's sure of a place and everyone has an incentive. So I'd back the FA if they decided not to go for a full-time manager yet. If Harry goes and does well, fine."

Uploads

Scott Sinclair: Impressive season for Swansea

SINCLAIR READY FOR NEW SWANSEA DEAL

Scott Sinclair has confirmed that is ready to sign a new deal at Swansea.
    Brendan Rodgers has already confirmed his desire to get Sinclair, amongst others, tied down to fresh terms.
    And now the 23-year-old winger admits that he is ready to talk terms about extending his time at the Liberty Stadium at the end of the season.
    "We are going to wait until the end of the season and discuss it (new contract) then," he said.
    "There are eight games to go and when we have played them we will talk then.
    "I'm happy to be playing every week for a manager who believes in me, and we will talk at the end of the season."

Along with the likes of Joe Allen and Nathan Dyer, Sinclair is one of a clutch of young Swansea stars who are said to have alerted a number of the Premier League's heavyweights with their sparkling performances this season.
    Sinclair, who has been touted for an England call-up due to his form in the top flight this season, insists that he is dedicated to the club under Rodgers.
    When asked he if he would be staying, he replied: "Definitely, the manager has brought me in, given me a chance and that is all I can ask for."

Uploads

Martin Jol: Prepares for transfer window

MARTIN JOL COULD SELL STARS

Fulham boss Martin Jol is prepared to cash in on his most saleable assets if the money generated allows him to bring in promising replacements.
    The Cottagers are bracing themselves for a flurry of summer transfer activity, with the likes of Brede Hangeland, Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey attracting plenty of interest.
    Big-money bids are expected and Jol insists he will not block any moves if they allow the player in question to better themselves at a higher level.
    He is also keen to continue building for the future and appreciates that players will have to be offloaded if he is to snap up the stars of tomorrow.
    "We have now got two or three players with a very good value and we will have to wait and see," said Jol.

"There is a lot of interest from other clubs in my players and that is why I have to try to use my background and experience to find younger players.
    "For me, it is not a problem because I feel we have that philosophy, not like in Germany and Holland.
    "They have a big party if they sell someone for 20million, but here it is different. If you sell a player here, everybody says you are a selling club, but I am used to that.
    "I will always shake hands with them if they can go to the Chelseas, the Manchester Citys or the Manchester Uniteds or Arsenals of this world.
    "It is not a problem for me. The only thing I don't like is if they say before the season starts that they want to play Champions League football, but that is another issue."

Uploads

Sam Vokes: On loan from Wolves

VOKES ENJOYING LIFE AT BRIGHTON

Sam Vokes is enjoying his time on loan at Brighton from Wolves and admits his long-term future is on his mind.
    The Wales international has largely been restricted to substitute appearances since joining Wolves in 2008 and has previously been out on loan at five different clubs.
    He is now taking in a sixth loan spell away from Molineux with Brighton and has scored three goals in 11 Championship appearances.
    The 22-year-old is keen to help the Seagulls push for promotion to the Premier League and appears to be keeping an open mind regarding a possible permanent deal at the AMEX Stadium.

"To play games and score goals is so important for me," Vokes told the club's official website. "If I can do that for the remainder of the season and hopefully help this club get promoted and I'll be happy and we'll have to see what happens.
    "I've been about at a few clubs throughout the last few seasons but I like it down here. There is a good feeling about the club and I've settled in well with all of the lads.

"It's a great club to be at and, of course, my future is on my mind, but I can't say too much, so I'll have to see what happens.
    "I've not had much contact with Wolves recently but I keep an eye on what they are doing and I like to think they are looking out at how I'm getting on.
    "You get frustrated living out of a suitcase but Brighton is a great club to be at and is heading in the right direction."

Uploads

David Button: On loan at Barnsley

BUTTON HOPES FOR SPURS FUTURE

David Button admits he is facing a "big summer", but the goalkeeper remains hopeful that he has a long-term future at Tottenham.
    The 23-year-old has made just one substitute's appearance during his Tottenham career and has taken in numerous loan spells to gain experience.
    He is currently on loan at Championship side Barnsley and believes he is steadily getting closer to being in a position to challenge for a first-team spot at White Hart Lane.
    "It's a big summer for me," said Button. "With a year left on my contract, I need to make some decisions.
    "If Spurs still have plans for me, I'll be delighted to stay, but if not, I'll have to look elsewhere.

"I've known myself over the last couple of years that I haven't been ready to play in the Tottenham first team, but I feel I'm gradually getting there.
    "Brad (Friedel) and Carlo (Cudicini) have next year on their contract, but they are getting older, so there will be an opportunity there for somebody in the next year or so."
    Button has made two appearances since arriving at Barnsley and is enjoying the chance to work with Keith Hill again after a previous loan spell under the Tykes boss at Rochdale.
    He added: "I've worked with all the staff here before. They're probably the best I've worked with.

"Keith Hill is great. He knows how to man-manage the players. He's a great motivator.
    "He loves football and can talk tactics all day long. I'm not lying when I say he's one of the best managers I've worked under."

Uploads

Gary Mackay-Steven: Happy at Dundee United

MACKAY-STEVEN HAPPY AT TANNADICE

Dundee United winger Gary Mackay-Steven insists he is enjoying his football at Tannadice and is not looking to leave the club in the summer.
    Mackay-Steven has impressed during his debut season with United and was rewarded with a new three-and-a-half year contract in January.
    The 21-year-old enhanced his stock further with a goal in Saturday's 2-0 win at Hibernian and has been linked with moves to bigger clubs.
    However, Mackay-Steven is in no hurry to head elsewhere and is confident his career will continue to benefit from playing regularly with United.

"I see my future at Tannadice just now," said Mackay-Steven in the Daily Record. "They gave me my big chance and I'm enjoying my football here.
    "We can go places with the team we've put together so my future is here. I'm playing every week and I need that.
    "We believe we can do good things if we all stick together. We're a close-knit and talented bunch."

Uploads

Klaas Jan Huntelaar: Delays contract talks

HUNTELAAR PUTS OFF CONTRACT TALKS

Schalke striker Klaas Jan Huntelaar has postponed contract negotiations with his club until after Euro 2012, which could prove to be a costly decision for the Royal Blues.
    The Dutchman's current contract still has over a year to run on it, but his prolific goalscoring record with 40 goals in 38 matches in all competitions this season has attracted plenty of interest from other clubs and convinced Schalke to offer him a new deal in a bid to warn off the competition.
    They want him to sign a new two-year extension and are prepared to go to the upper limit of their wage structure to convince him to stay.
    However, he told the Bild newspaper that he does not want to consider his future until after the Euros.
    "There will be time to gather my thoughts after the season," he said. "Before then, I want to focus on scoring goals and not let myself be distracted at the European Championships."

Every goal that Huntelaar scores is making him more and more expensive to Schalke, though, as not only does his market value increase, but also his expectations in terms of wages.
    With top clubs around Europe able to offer him a better package than Schalke, a positive Euro 2012 may mean the Bundesliga club simply cannot fend off the competition, although Schalke's president Clemens Tonnies believes Huntelaar's decision will not be purely based on money.
    "We are making Klaas a top offer" he told Sport1 television. "I believe that the well-being factor will play a role in his decision and he is very close to his Dutch home here with Schalke."

Uploads

Troy Deeney: Staying at Watford

DEENEY EXTENDS WATFORD DEAL

Watford have extended Troy Deeney's contract at Vicarage Road by another year.
    The striker was due to see his two-year deal with the Hornets expire this summer but the Championship club have exercised the option of a further 12 months and he will now remain until at least 2013.

Deeney, who arrived from Walsall, has flourished since fellow forward Marvin Sordell left for Bolton in the January transfer window, scoring five goals in 10 games - the latest of which in Saturday's 2-1 win over Ipswich - to take his tally to eight for the season.
    The 23-year-old hit the net just three times in 40 appearances for Watford last term - his first with the Hertfordshire club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast