Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 30-03-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 30-03-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 30-03-2012

Gomez: New deal

NEW DEAL FOR JORDI GOMEZ

Wigan midfielder Jordi Gomez has signed a new two-year contract at the DW Stadium.
    The 26-year-old playmaker's previous deal had been due to expire in the summer but he has now committed to the Barclays Premier League club until 2014 despite the danger of relegation.
    The former Barcelona youth team player, who joined Latics from Espanyol in 2009, has scored four goals this season.
    Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is pleased to have beaten off interest from other clubs for his fellow Spaniard's services.
    Martinez said: "We are delighted that Jordi is committing himself to our football club.

"He is our top goalscorer this season and his vision has provided us with a real playmaking role in the side.
    "He has accumulated a fantastic experience in the Barclays Premier League and with potential offers waiting for him in the summer, it is a fantastic gesture towards the football club that he has chosen to commit to Wigan Athletic at this crucial moment of the season."
    Gomez, who has scored six times in 42 league starts for Wigan and first worked with Martinez during a loan spell at Swansea, feels settled at the club.

He said: "I would like to thank everyone at the club for making me feel welcome.
    "I feel I can keep improving here and now I want to keep focusing on my game and do all I can to finish the season strongly and keep our Premier League status."
    Wigan are in the bottom three but just a point off the safety of 17th place with eight games of their campaign remaining.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 30-03-2012

Chiellini: Hasn't spoken to Man City

CHIELLINI DENIES MAN CITY OFFER

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini has confirmed that he has not spoken to Manchester City over a move to the Premier League.
    The 27-year-old Italy international has also revealed that he has not had talks with Real Madrid, who are also said to be interested in the left-back.
    Chiellini has been a reported target for Roberto Mancini since 2009 but has stayed with the Turin club, having made almost 200 appearances.
    He has also won 50 caps for Italy and has become one of the most sought-after European defenders in the world.

The player told Il Giornale that he is happy with the Serie A title-challengers, but insists he is keen to win silverware.
    He said: "Would I prefer to win Serie A with Juventus or the European Championships with the national team?
    "I have not won anything for too long a time, so I'm not in a position to choose. Whatever comes, it is welcomed; even winning the Coppa Italia would be fine.

"My name is often being linked to Real Madrid and Manchester City. If you are a player, there are market rumours every six months. But I have never received a concrete offer."

Uploads

Derek Riordan: Joins St Johnstone

DEREK RIORDAN AGREES SAINTS MOVE

Scotland international forward Derek Riordan has joined St Johnstone on a short-term deal until the end of the season,.
    The 29-year-old former Hibernian and Celtic striker, the third highest scorer in Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League history, was a free agent after leaving Chinese Super League side Shaanxi Chanba in November.
    A statement from the Perth club read: "St Johnstone have completed the signing of striker Derek Riordan until the end of the season and international clearance has been received.

"With the player without a club at the moment and the club limited for choice in the forward area (Marcus Haber is currently away with the Canadian international side at the Olympic qualifying tournament) this short-term deal is seen as a help to both parties."
    Riordan has three caps for Scotland, but none since 2009.

Uploads

Andy Carroll: Backed by his manager

DALGLISH STILL BACKING CARROLL

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish remains convinced that Andy Carroll will prove his worth after so far failing to justify his 35million price tag.
    Carroll has scored just five Premier League goals for the Anfield outfit after arriving from Newcastle back in January 2011 and looks a shadow of the player who terrorised defences for the Magpies.
    But ahead of his return to St James' Park for Sunday's Premier League encounter, Reds boss Dalglish has again defended the powerful forward.
    The Scot said: "There are always going to be people saying it was good or bad. But that doesn't make any difference really. For me, we were delighted to get him and we're still very pleased to have him.

"We have said all along about the boys who have come in that some settle in quicker than others - and in the environment away from football, too.
    "The quicker you settle in, the better chance you're going to give yourself. I think Andy's settled in the area, and he's worked really hard to progress his career."
    Former Magpies manager Dalglish would not be drawn into a debate over Carroll's statistics, which show a return of only six goals from 39 appearances in all competitions this season.
    He added: "Stats are there for everyone to twist and turn whatever way they want to. I won't sit and analyse everyone's stats to see where they come out at the end.
    "If you're looking for someone with good stats, the most impressive is Maxi, when he's started the games.
    "For me, it's not about any one individual, it's about ourselves as a squad and what the squad has done to get results."
    Many Newcastle fans were angered by Carroll's exit last year, but Dalglish is unsure as to what kind of reception the former favourite of the Toon Army can expect when he returns to the North East for the first time.

"I'm not sure he will get abuse, because what happened was outside his control," Dalglish said. "It's up to them what they want to do. They pay their entrance money and if they want to give him stick, they will give him stick.
    "But I don't think he ever did anything other than give of his best for Newcastle, and then they got 35m into the bargain. That's not bad, is it?
    "How did it affect me when I went back to Celtic? I scored two. Maybe they should have booed me more often. If you get booed, you take it as a compliment."

Uploads

Ricardo Fuller: Set to be offered a new deal

FULLER SET FOR A NEW STOKE DEAL

Stoke are set to offer striker Ricardo Fuller a new deal, with his current contract due to end this summer.
    The 32-year-old was sent off in his only Premier League start this season, as the Potters lost to Chelsea on 10th March and he has not featured since.
    His suspension has now come to an end meaning he is available to play against Wigan on Saturday.

And with Stoke aiming for a top half finish, Fuller may play a significant part in their final eight games of the season.
    But Pulis is keen to retain the striker's services beyond the summer and admits the ball is in the player's court.
    He said: "It will be determined really by Ricardo as much as anything else.
    "Ricardo and his agent have to decide what they want to do, but Ric doesn't have anything to prove to anybody at this club.
    "He's a top player and a fantastic lad. He can be a little bit of the wall at times but that's Ricardo."
    Fuller has scored just once this season, as Stoke lost 3-1 to Besiktas in the Europa League in December and scored just four times last season.

His most prolific campaign for Stoke was in the 2007/08 season as he scored 15 goals in the Championship.
    The dismissal against Chelsea was his first sending off for three and a half years after he stamped on Branislav Ivanovic.
    But Pulis has forgiven him for the error at Stamford Bridge.
    He added: "He apologised straight away to everyone.
    "He knew what he did was wrong and his reaction was poor. But it's water under the bridge now."

Uploads

Emile Heskey: Out of contract in the summer

HESKEY DESERVES NEW DEAL - GABBY

Gabriel Agbonlahor hopes Aston Villa will offer fellow striker Emile Heskey a new deal when his current contract runs out this summer.
    Heskey has been at Villa for the past three and a half seasons and has been linked with a return to his first professional club Leicester.
    Villa assistant boss Peter Grant has intimated talks with Heskey and any other out-of-contract player have been put on hold until the summer but Agbonlahor hopes the former England player can remain.

He said: "I would like Emile to stay. I think everyone would. He has great experience and still has great qualities.
    "It's not my decision but I would definitely like Emile to stay. He has done a great job when he has come in.
    "Emile is really dedicated with the way he trains and is respected for what he has done in the game and we are still learning off him.
    "Do I think he will stay? It's hard to say. We'll just have to wait and see."

Heskey was restored to the Villa starting line-up for last weekend's Barclays Premier League clash at Arsenal.
    With Darren Bent sidelined for the rest of the season, he is likely to have an important role to play.
    But Villa boss Alex McLeish has admitted he still has to bring down the wage bill and Heskey is believed to be one of Villa's highest earners.

Uploads

Jim Jefferies: Set to snap up Fernandez

PARS TO SIGN NEW GOALKEEPER

Jim Jefferies' bid to secure Dunfermline's Clydesdale Bank Premier League survival is poised to be reinforced by the arrival of Bernardo Dominguez Fernandez.
    The 32-year-old Spanish goalkeeper is set for a move to East End Park, subject to international clearance, providing competition and back up to Chris Smith.
    "It will give cover for Chris and a bit of competition," said Pars boss.
    "Bernardo is experienced. He's played most of his time in the second division in Spain. There's not a lot of options for us at this point and he'll help us.

"We're trying to make sure the paperwork is done and we will require international clearance."
    Former Hearts and Kilmarnock boss Jefferies succeeded Jim McIntyre at Dunfermline last week and recognised the need for a goalkeeper, with first-choice Paul Gallacher out for the season with a shoulder injury and Iain Turner returning to parent club Preston after injury brought a premature end to his loan deal.
    A statement on Dunfermline's official website, www.dafc.co.uk, read: "DAFC have agreed to sign Bernardo Dominguez Fernandez subject to international clearance.

"Bernardo is a 32-year-old Spanish goalkeeper from Zafra, Badajoz. His previous club SD Huesca play in Segunda Division.
    "Bernardo left Huesca in January 2012 after his second spell at the club, making a total of 43 appearances. Bernardo has also played for Siero, Amurrio, Orihuela, Alaves, Tenerife (loan) and Recreativo."
    Jefferies, who was encouraged by the performance in the 1-1 draw with St Mirren last week, takes the Pars to Tannadice tomorrow for his second game in charge against in-form Dundee United.

"We took a step forward last week, although a small one, gaining a point on the team above us and hopefully we can close that gap," said Jefferies, whose side moved three points behind 11th-placed Hibernian with the draw.
    "Seven games to go and the idea with these two games before the split is to make sure it's not too big a gap when we go into the split. It could be very, very interesting."

Uploads

Jose Mourinho: Real Madrid manager

ROBSON: MOURINHO HAS WHAT IT TAKES

Manchester United legend Bryan Robson believes Jose Mourinho has the right credentials for the "near impossible" task of one day succeeding manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
    Ferguson has celebrated his 70th birthday and the 25th anniversary of his appointment at Old Trafford this season and is showing little sign of slowing down.
    Because of that, Robson, Ferguson's former captain, does not think the club have even thought about the identity of their next manager.
    But Robson knows the time will come when the issue has to be dealt with and he feels Real Madrid's former Chelsea boss would be a good fit.
    The former England captain, speaking at the Soccerex forum in Manchester, said: "As far as I am concerned, and from what I know about Manchester United, they are not considering that at the moment.

"How do you replace Sir Alex Ferguson? It is near enough impossible.
    "But they are going to have to do that and Mourinho is definitely one who would be up at the top of the list. His record speaks for itself."
    Aside from the suitability of Mourinho, who has won the Champions League with Porto and Inter Milan, Robson feels United might have other candidates closer to home.
    Robson has been impressed with the work of Ferguson's assistants Mike Phelan and Rene Meulensteen and would consider them as good options.
    Robson said: "Whoever goes in there they will have their opinions and ideas, but because of the success United have had over the last 20 years, you can't go in and rip everything apart and try to rebuild the way you think it should be.
    "How can you do that after so much success?

"Why not Mike Phelan and Rene take over from Sir Alex Ferguson when he does decide to pack in.
    "That never gets mentioned but they know how it works. It has always has to be someone who is really well known with a track record."

Uploads

Jose Mourinho: No Man City agreement

JOSE MOURINHO DENIES MAN CITY LINK

Jose Mourinho has strongly denied he has reached an agreement to take over as manager of Manchester City at the end of the season.
    A report in Spain on Friday claimed the Real Madrid boss had agreed to take over from Roberto Mancini at Eastlands this summer.
    But the Portuguese, who is under contract at the Bernabeu until 2014, firmly insisted at a press conference ahead of his side's Primera Division match with Osasuna that was not the case.

"I deny that I or anyone on my behalf has reached an agreement with City," the former Chelsea boss said.
    "I have a contract and do not have to answer questions that have no foundation."
    Mourinho has consistently been linked with a move back to the Premier League, even though his side have a healthy lead at the top of the Primera Division and are on the brink of a place in the semi-finals of the Champions League.
    He has courted controversy during his time in Spain, though, and has often had a difficult relationship with the press.
    Neither Mourinho, nor any of his coaching staff or players spoke to journalists after their recent 1-1 draw with Villarreal in which the manager was sent to the stands and Madrid had both Sergio Ramos and Mesut Ozil sent off.

But the Portuguese defended the decision, claiming the club were simply trying to keep their unhappiness to themselves after previously being criticised for voicing their complaints.
    "Last season, after the Champions League semi-finals, we said what we thought with open hearts and you lot (the media) killed us," he said.
    "You criticised us again after we criticised the referee when we were eliminated from the Copa del Rey this year.
    "We wanted to avoid controversy and suspensions after facing Villarreal and that is why we didn't make any comments.
    "We thought we were doing what was best, but we've been criticised again. We don't have any problems, you cause them and have to decide which of the two attitudes is better.
    "You cannot accuse us of looking for controversy this time because we kept quiet. I don't know if you're fixated on me or on Real Madrid, but we're always criticised. We nevertheless believe we did the right thing and neither I nor my players said anything against the referee."

Mourinho also denied he had a rift with goalkeeper Iker Casillas amid reports their relationship had broken down.
    "What people say about my relationship with Casillas is not true," he said. "I have no problems with him nor with the rest of my players."

Uploads

Rangers: Deadline set for final offers

RANGERS ADMINISTRATORS SET DEADLINE

Rangers' administrators have asked three bidders to submit "best and final offers" for the club by Wednesday, April 4.
    Five parties notified Duff and Phelps of their interest in a takeover of the Scottish champions, although Sale Sharks owner Brian Kennedy has since dropped out of the running after being told his bid was too low.
    The administrators indicated they have yet to identify a preferred bidder from the short-list at this stage in the process.
    Press Association Sport understands the three parties who remain in contention are former Ibrox director Paul Murray's Blue Knights consortium, United States-based Club 9 Sports and a Singapore-based consortium.

David Whitehouse, joint administrator, said: "It would be inappropriate for us to comment on the merits of individual bids but, in general, several parties have pursued their declared interest in the club and five bids submitted have been subject to greater scrutiny.
    "We fully understand the desire of supporters to see the bidding process concluded as soon as possible and have asked three bidders to submit best and final offers by Wednesday April 4.
    "It is likely that a successful bidder will require a period of exclusivity to commit to final due diligence thereafter.
    "Bids have inevitably been the subject of widespread comment and speculation but at this stage it would be unwise to perceive any particular party to be a preferred bidder, and the bidding process remains open for all parties until April 4."

Rangers' administrators and Ticketus both welcomed a ruling on the status of their contract last week following a court case that revealed the Ibrox club received two payments totalling more than 30million during Craig Whyte's stewardship.
    A judge at the Court of Session in Edinburgh would not give directions on the administrators' request to tear up the contract because Duff and Phelps held back information on bids so as not to undermine the process.

Administrators welcomed indications they would have the right to refuse to honour the deal if it was in the best interest of creditors.
    The judge's written ruling clarified the exact nature of the deals between Ticketus and Rangers chairman Whyte.
    In his statement on Friday, Whitehouse added: "The direction from Lord Hodge in the Court of Session in Edinburgh last Friday clarified important issues relating to the status of the arrangement between Ticketus and Rangers Football Club and our powers as administrators in relation to contractual rights.

"This has allowed the bidding process for the club to move away from the previous uncertainty the issue caused.
    "The direction has also enabled us to have intensive and constructive discussions throughout this week to confirm the levels of interest and the structure of any offers."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast