Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-04-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-04-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 03-04-2012

Mario Balotelli: Backed by Mancini

MANCINI WILL STAND BY BALOTELLI

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini will not give up on maverick striker Mario Balotelli.
    The mercurial forward remains a source of recurring frustration for Mancini but the City boss still wants to coax the best out of him.
    Mancini was highly critical of the 21-year-old's overall display in Saturday's clash with Sunderland despite his two goals in the 3-3 draw at the Etihad Stadium.
    Since then there have also been unconfirmed reports of a dressing-room argument with team-mate Yaya Toure and speculation City would be willing to consider offers for him in the summer.

But when asked if he was prepared to give up on the former Inter Milan youngster, Mancini said: "No.
    "I am frustrated because sometimes I think it is not possible that a player with his class and his technique can play a game like this.
    "I think he is young and I hope for him he can improve very quickly for his future.
    "A player like Mario in the Premier League should score one or two goals every game."
    Last week was another eventful one in the colourful career of Balotelli.

It began with an unexpected appearance at an Inter Milan press conference, which was followed by a training-ground spat with Mancini.
    Mancini then said he could not trust the player, whose afternoon against Sunderland was also noted for a row with Aleksandar Kolarov over who should take a free-kick.
    "This was a bad moment," Mancini said.
    "I think a professional player can't do what they did in that moment, when we were losing 3-1."
    Although City recovered from that deficit to claim a draw, the two dropped points could ultimately prove costly in the Barclays Premier League title race.

Yet Mancini insists he will not be giving up the fight.
    He said: "We should be strong, I believe always.
    "The message is always the same - we will do everything to win this title."
    When asked what he said to the players after Saturday's game, Mancini said: "Nothing because they were so tired.
    "I said only, 'believe in yourselves' because we have seven games - 21 points. I think with 92 points we will win the title."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-04-2012

Kenny Dalglish: Alarming slump in league form

BARNES BACKS DALGLISH TO RIDE STORM

Liverpool legend John Barnes does not believe manager Kenny Dalglish is immune from criticism - but expects him to ride through it.
    Dalglish is coming under increasing pressure to arrest an alarming slump in form which has seen the Reds lose six of their last seven Barclays Premier League matches.
    Most supporters have given Anfield legend Dalglish wholehearted backing since he returned to the job for a second spell last year and have been reluctant to criticise the Scot.

But the current poor run - just eight points have been collected in 12 games in 2012 - is testing patience and Barnes is not surprised disquiet is growing.
    Barnes, one of the star signings of Dalglish's first stint in charge, told BBC Sport: "We're in the results business and Kenny is no different to anyone else.
    "If Sir Alex Ferguson goes through a run of losing games, he's going to be in trouble. No matter who you are, it's a results-driven business.
    "No-one is immune. There are people talking about it - we have seen it, we have heard it.
    "It does happen, but you also have to be realistic in terms of the effect it will have on what you are trying to achieve.
    "And the people in the know - how much are they going to support you? Kenny is well supported, so he won't take any notice of that."
    Amid the bad results, Liverpool have kept their season alive with their cup performances.
    They won the Carling Cup in February and face Everton in the FA Cup semi-finals later this month.
    Barnes, 48, said: "In the league they have not been consistent enough - and that is what doing well in the league is all about, being consistent week in, week out.

"Liverpool over the years have been a good cup side but it is disappointing in the league."
    The former England winger believes everyone needs to get behind Dalglish to propel the club out of their current turmoil.
    He said: "You have to know how to get the results and the people who are going to get the results are the team who shows more support for its manager and its players."

Uploads

Adebayor: Scored twice against Swansea

VDV WANTS ADEBAYOR TO STAY

Rafael van der Vaart has urged Tottenham to sign Emmanuel Adebayor on a permanent basis.
    Adebayor, who is on a season-long loan from Manchester City, scored twice on Sunday to inspire Tottenham to a battling 3-1 win over Swansea, their first Barclays Premier League victory in six attempts.
    Adebayor arrived at White Hart Lane with concerns about his temperament, attitude and ability, but he has defied his critics to score 14 goals and give the Londoners a very good chance of qualifying for next year's Champions League.

The striker is reported to earn around 170,000 a week at the Etihad Stadium, a figure way beyond what the maximum earners take home at Tottenham, but Van der Vaart rates his team-mate as one of the best strikers around and wants him to stay.
    "He is one of the best, a top striker," Van der Vaart said.
    "He played for Real Madrid, for Arsenal, Manchester City. I was surprised that he came and I hope that he stays.
    "He works his socks off, he's unbelievable. He's so positive. We love him here.
    "I played with (Ruud) Van Nistelrooy (at Real Madrid) and he was fantastic and with Ade (Adebayor) as well.
    "Normally strikers wait for the chance and they score, but he works hard as well and even when he doesn't score, he's still important for the team. He's a big man for us."

Van der Vaart has been one of the main beneficiaries of Adebayor's arrival.
    The Dutchman has formed a strong bond with the 6ft 3in striker, who powered home two headers in the final 17 minutes to kill off Sunday's game after Gylfi Sigurdsson had equalised Van der Vaart's opener.
    Van der Vaart, himself one of the club's top earners, acknowledges Adebayor's wages could quash any hopes of his strike partner staying beyond the end of the season.
    "I think the problem is the wages," Van der Vaart added.
    "Yes, I have tried to persuade him to stay.
    "Last season I had a good understanding with Peter Crouch, but with him it's even better. He's tall and strong. He's not selfish and his attitude is one of the best."

Spurs looked back to their best yesterday, with Van der Vaart, Adebayor and Gareth Bale all excelling in a confident display at White Hart Lane.
    Harry Redknapp's team had squandered a 10-point advantage over Arsenal in the race for third, but the win over Swansea means the Gunners only lead their rivals on goal difference with seven games remaining.
    Arsenal's defeat at QPR on Saturday saw their seven-match winning streak come to an end and Van der Vaart hopes Arsene Wenger's team will buckle in their run-in.
    "I hope they (Arsenal) are getting nervous," Van der Vaart said.
    "It was an important match for them away at QPR. That result helped us.
    "It's not going to be easy (to finish third), but if we play like we did against Swansea we have a good chance."
    On paper Tottenham stand a good chance of pipping their north London rivals to third.
    Arsenal play Manchester City on Sunday and also have to host Chelsea, while the highest-placed team Spurs face in their run-in is Sunderland, who currently sit in ninth.

Van der Vaart wants to finish in third not just to give Spurs fans bragging rights - they have not finished above Arsenal since 1995 - but also because it will mean the club avoid playing a qualifier to get in to the Champions League.
    "It's important for the whole club to finish third because you never know, in qualifying there are also some big teams, some good teams," he added.
    Meanwhile, Press Association Sport understands Tottenham have taken 17-year-old left-back Cristian Ramirez on a 10-day trial from Ecuadorian club Independiente del Valle.
    The defender represented Ecuador at the Under-17 World Cup last year and will train with Spurs in the hope of sealing a permanent deal.

Uploads

Connor: Backed by Moxey

MOXEY STANDS BY CONNOR APPOINTMENT

Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey has defiantly stood by the club's decision to appoint Terry Connor as manager.
    Connor has so far presided over six games following the sacking of Mick McCarthy, and after a draw in the first of those, Wolves have since lost five in a row.
    The Molineux club now stand on the brink of relegation as they are six points adrift of safety with just 21 available.
    Asked if handing Connor the reins was the correct move, Moxey said: "Yes, and we still support him.
    "We were losing games, and we're continuing to lose, but we made our decision and we're sticking to it.
    "I believe, in the last two games against Norwich and Bolton, the team is performing better than before."

Despite Wolves' dire position - they have also lost a club record seven successive league games at home - there is a bigger picture that cannot be overlooked.
    Even with relegation looming, Moxey is adamant there are building blocks being put in place to guarantee the club's future.
    "We don't want to be giving post mortems out yet," Moxey told the Express & Star.
    "We're confident that regardless of what happens this season, this club will prosper.
    "We have the foundations in place for success and the huge disappointment of this season will not create a situation where we are knocked off course from the medium to long-term objectives of the club.
    "Those objectives are to establish this club in the Premier League by continuing to invest money in new players by being a club that develops its own players through the academy to the first team.
    "We also want to provide supporters with better facilities in a stadium with stands close to the pitch that gives us a competitive edge, while ensuring we comply with UEFA financial fair play rules and run the club on a sound footing.

"This is a long-term project and we will not be thwarted from our aims.
    "We have the desire to win every game on a week-to-week basis, but nothing will knock us off our belief to deliver success in the medium to long-term.
    "And if we look back at the last five to six years, this club has progressed enormously.
    "We have the determination to give fans what they want on and off the field."

Uploads

Sam Allardyce: Job is safe

SAM ALLARDYCE WILL STAY - BRADY

West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady insists manager Sam Allardyce will remain in charge even if the club fails to secure promotion this season.
    The Hammers are winless in six home matches after Saturday's 4-2 defeat against Reading, which left them four points adrift of the second-placed Royals with six games to go.
    The Upton Park club were among the pre-season favourites to secure an instant return to the Barclays Premier League but Brady insisted Allardyce's future does not hinge on achieving that goal.

She told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Yes he will still be in charge next season - definitely.
    "[Chairman] David Sullivan wanted Sam - they have a very good relationship."
    The former Bolton boss has come under fire following a run of just two wins in eight matches in March, while his style of play has done little to endear him to a fan base that prefers passing football.

Brady admitted the defeat to the Royals was difficult for everybody but was hopeful they could recover.
    "We were hoping to win but we certainly haven't given up the prospect of automatic promotion or promotion, if we have to, through the play-offs," she said.
    "That is still our number one target for this season."

Uploads

Yann M'Vila: Summer transfer talk

M'VILA DROPS ARSENAL MOVE HINT

Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila has admitted he would be interested in a move to either Arsenal or Real Madrid.
    The France international is thought to be among Gunners manager Arsene Wenger's top transfer targets this summer, while Real have also been credited with an interest in M'Vila.
    The 21-year-old has admitted he would welcome the chance to work alongside fellow Frenchman Wenger at Arsenal.
    "Inter, Arsenal, Real...I will take the fun everywhere!," M'Vila told Canal +.

"These are great clubs. If the coach calls you and tells you he wants you to make you play, especially a French coach, it changes everything.
    "The important thing for me is getting playing time for the France team."
    M'Vila also played down talk he has been sounded out by Jose Mourinho about a move to Real Madrid, but hinted he would be keen on a switch to the Bernabeu.
    "Mourinho calling me? He does not even have my number," joked M'Vila
    "But play at Real? Yeah, it would be an absolute blast! It would be great to play with Kaka and [Karim] Benzema."

Uploads

Arjen Robben: Key player

HEYNCKES HOPEFUL OVER ROBBEN DEAL

Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes expects Arjen Robben to sign a contract extension before the end of the season.
    The Holland winger has been in impressive form of late, helping keep the club in the Bundesliga title race and on course for the semi-finals of the Champions League.

"I personally assume Arjen will put pen to paper sometime over the coming rounds (of games)," Heynckes said at a press conference ahead of Bayern's Champions League quarter-final second leg against Marseille in Munich on Tuesday.
    "I think that he has shown again how important he is for Bayern."

The 28-year-old's current deal runs until 2013.
    The Bild newspaper speculated today he will sign a new deal until 2015.

Uploads

Boyd: Set to leave Posh

BOYD REJECTS NEW POSH DEAL

George Boyd has rejected a new contract with Peterborough and will be transfer listed in the summer as a result.
    The 25-year-old winger has only one year to run on his current deal but has decided to turn down an offer to extend his stay at London Road.
    Director of football Barry Fry told the club's official website: "We have said before that any player who rejects a contract when they have just 12 months to run on their existing deal would be sold.

"It is good business sense to do that. To be fair to George, he has been a fantastic servant to this football club and we obviously wouldn't begrudge him a move because of that.
    "However, as with other players, it has to be the right price for this football club."
    Boyd, who has scored eight goals this season, joins talismanic striker Paul Taylor in failing to commit his future to the Posh in recent days.

Uploads

Paul Murray: Wants to avoid liquidation

PAUL MURRAY: I CAN SAVE RANGERS

Blue Knights figurehead Paul Murray insists he remains the man to save Rangers from liquidation.
    Murray was responding after Paul Clark, of administrators Duff and Phelps, warned over the weekend that "it is certainly possible Rangers would be liquidated" when new owners take charge.
    The Blue Knights, American investors Club 9 Sports and a Singapore-based group are all expected to make formal bids for the Ibrox club by Wednesday, the deadline set by the administrators before they choose a preferred bidder.

Murray, a former Rangers director, claims he is closer to an agreement to include in his consortium Ticketus, the investment firm whose controversial 24.4million season ticket deal allowed Craig Whyte to complete his takeover of the club in May last year.
    And if Ticketus, who own the rights to a tranche of future season tickets at Ibrox, can be brought on board then Murray is hopeful Rangers can come out of administration with a company voluntary arrangement (CVA).

"It seems the other groups are pushing to put the club into liquidation," Murray told the Scottish Daily Mail.
    "That is not what I want to do. They have their own reasons for wanting that - but it's not part of my plan.
    "Paul Clark was misquoting me if he said I was considering that. I didn't say that.
    "I'm a little bit surprised and concerned, in fact, that the administrators seem to be almost moving things towards liquidation in the last couple of days.

"From my point of view, first and foremost, we want to reach agreement with creditors - a CVA.
    "That's the whole reason I'm talking to Ticketus. Those talks are ongoing and we're getting closer, although it's not done yet.
    "I'm trying to put in place a restructuring deal that involves a CVA. I think the football and financial benefits of that outweigh the liquidation option.
    "So I don't know why Paul Clark seems to be briefing in that direction. It is certainly not my intention to put the club into liquidation."

Uploads

Radamel Falcao: Played down speculation

FALCAO COOLS PREMIER LINKS

Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao has played down talk linking him with moves to Manchester City and Chelsea.
    Reports have suggested the Premier League duo were eyeing moves for the prolific forward this summer.
    Falcao has netted 26 goals in 37 games for Atletico since his arrival from Porto and he could find himself the subject of interest at the end of the season.
    However, the Colombian is calm over the transfer speculation and insists he is happy to stay at the Vicente Calderon.
    "The press said that Manchester City and Chelsea want me, but I am calm about this.

"I know La Liga is watched all across the world and it is normal that if I do good work many clubs watch me.
    "But I insist now I am only focused on obtaining success with Atletico."
    Falcao admits he is happy with his decision to join Atletico after being chased by a host of clubs.
    He said: "My move to Atletico was a personal choice and I am satisfied because Liga is the best in the world."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast