Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 16-04-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 16-04-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 16-04-2012

Fabio: Will spend spell out on loan

FABIO SET FOR LOAN SPELL

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Brazilian defender Fabio will go out on loan next season and hailed Jonny Evans as possibly the best defender in England.
    Although he featured in the Red Devils' Champions League final defeat to Barcelona last season, Fabio has failed to progress as expected.
    A succession of niggling injuries have not helped and, ahead of this afternoon's Barclays Premier League encounter with Aston Villa, Fabio had made just 15 appearances in all competitions this term and started only twice in league combat.
    And, while it will mean splitting him from twin Rafael, who could return at right-back this afternoon, Ferguson believes the best thing for Fabio's development is a spell away from Old Trafford.

"Fabio will go on loan next season to give him concentrated first-team experience," Ferguson told United Review.
    "I have already talked to him and he understands the value of playing regularly at a higher level than we can give him at the moment."
    Evans is among a number of United players who have benefitted from the loan system, spending time at both Royal Antwerp and Sunderland.
    And that experience has come to the fore this season as Evans has proved to be an able deputy for injured skipper Nemanja Vidic - so good indeed that Ferguson believes the Northern Ireland international stands comparison with the very best.
    "I must admit my heart sank a little when I learned just how long Nemanja Vidic was going to be out," the Scot said.

"He and Rio Ferdinand had become the cornerstone of our defence but Rio responded brilliantly, despite his back problem, and has now struck up a fine partnership with Jonny Evans.
    "Jonny came to us from Belfast when he was 12 or 13, always exceptionally talented but gangly with physical issues growing up.
    "We had him out on loan with Antwerp and Sunderland and now we are seeing the value of nurturing him.
    "There is no doubt he has been helped playing alongside the experience of Rio and he is now arguably the best defender in the country."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 16-04-2012

Szczesny: Determined to win a trophy

SZCZESNY IS STAYING PUT

Wojciech Szczesny has vowed to stick with Arsenal until the club have ended their long wait for major silverware.
    With the Gunners destined to end the 2011/12 campaign empty-handed, seven years have now passed since they lasted lifted a trophy.
    Those inside the Emirates Stadium camp are doing their utmost to end the barren spell, though, and it is hoped that a brighter future awaits them.
    Szczesny is determined to bring success back to the north London outfit, with the 21-year-old desperate to return Arsenal to the top of English football.
    He admits that competing for a top-four finish year after year will not satisfy his desire to be the very best, but he has made it clear that he will not walk away from the Gunners until he has won something.

"I can't imagine myself in the next few years' time playing anywhere other than here. In fact, I won't move until we win something," Szczesny said ahead of Arsenal's home date with Wigan on Monday.
    "Recently, one of the journalists asked me whether I have bigger ambitions than playing for the third place in the Premier League with Arsenal. God, sure I have! I look at the table and realise that is our maximum this year.

"It is seven years since Arsenal won something and it won't change this season. But the next one? Who knows?
    "I stand in front of a mirror and say to myself: 'Damn, I'm interested in winning trophies only with Arsenal.'
    "I want to be part of the team that show fans the bad times are over. I won't leave until we achieve this."

Uploads

Harry Redknapp: Remains favourite for the job

FA: APPOINTMENT ON THE HORIZON

Football Association chief executive Alex Horne has confirmed it will not be long before the organisation makes its move to appoint a new England manager.
    The four-man panel charged with naming Fabio Capello's replacement have refused to go too early for fear of upsetting one of England's leading clubs.
    However, with the opening Euro 2012 group clash with France now less than two months away, the point is being reached where the FA need to act.

There have even been suggestions that the first approaches will come this week, although they may be to more than one candidate.
    "We're waiting until the tail end of the season," Horne told BBC Sport.
    "We are not far away."
    It had been assumed that overwhelming favourite Harry Redknapp would be appointed and the FA were just waiting for Spurs' fate in domestic combat to be sealed before making an announcement.
    However, almost since Capello's dramatic exit in February, Tottenham's season has spiralled downwards, culminating in today's 5-1 FA Cup semi-final defeat to Chelsea at Wembley.

Spurs are facing a renewed threat to their top four place from Chelsea and Newcastle and should the north London outfit fail to secure a Champions League berth, Redknapp's reputation would undoubtedly take a knock.
    West Brom boss Roy Hodgson has been suggested as another potential candidate, although the obvious drawback would be the difficulties he endured at Liverpool and the fact that, unlike Redknapp, he has never won a trophy in England at club level.

However, there is no sense of panic from the FA, who believe the plans Capello initially put in place for Euro 2012, that were subsequently "tweaked" by Stuart Pearce, will allow for a smooth integration for whoever is appointed.

"What we've done as an FA is clearly set up all our plans," said Horne.
    "We know exactly what we're doing between now and our first game and we just need to slot a manager in, giving that individual enough time to get used to the set-up."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez (r): Hat-trick at Norwich on Saturday

MANCINI UNSURE ON TEVEZ FUTURE

Roberto Mancini is unsure whether Carlos Tevez will be at Manchester City next season despite the controversial striker's recent excellent form.
    Tevez went AWOL for three months after a spat with Mancini but the pair have now made up and Tevez has returned to the City side with a bang, starring in the club's 6-1 hammering of Norwich on Saturday.
    The 28-year-old scored three goals and set Sergio Aguero up for another as City turned the heat on title rivals Manchester United with a ruthless display at Carrow Road.
    The Argentine smacked home a 20-yard swirling shot in the first half before adding a header and a cool finish after seizing on a mix-up in the Norwich defence.

The former West Ham striker offered Mancini an olive branch today when he thanked the City boss, and his team-mates, for welcoming him back after an apology, but the Italian is not 100% sure whether Tevez will stay at the Etihad Stadium beyond the summer.
    "I don't know. I don't know this," Mancini said when asked whether Tevez would be a City player next year.
    "It depends. Now I think it is important that we think about the next four games. After that, at the end of the season, we will see what can happen with all the players."

Tevez was mobbed by his team-mates after each of his three goals on Saturday in a clear show of unity from the City squad.
    The fans were equally behind their former captain, singing his name throughout the vital win.
    Mancini insists that he and his players now have no issue with Tevez playing for the club despite his antics in Munich last September, where he reportedly refused to come off the bench.
    "There is no problem," Mancini said. "It is in the past."

Uploads

Abel Hernandez: New deal

HERNANDEZ COMMITS TO PALERMO

Palermo striker Abel Hernandez has signed a new four-year contract that will keep the Uruguay international at the club until 2016.
    The 21-year-old joined the Sicilian outfit in 2009 from Penarol and his previous deal would have expired this summer.
    "I am delighted," Hernandez said to www.ilpalermocalcio.it. "I'm very happy in Palermo.
    "My only thoughts have been on this jersey and my only desire was to remain here.

"I am certain that with our fans' support we can achieve many joys in the future."
    Hernandez has scored five goals in 15 league appearances for Palermo this season.

Uploads

Paul Pogba: Decision to make

AGENT: POGBA HAS TWO CHOICES

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has two choices - stay at Old Trafford or move to Juventus, according to his agent.
    Reports surfaced last month that the 19-year-old had finally agreed a deal to stay in Manchester following weeks of uncertainty over his future amid heavy speculation linking him to Juve.
    However his agent, Mino Raiola, says the Frenchman is still weighing up United's contract offer against a potential move to Italy.
    Raiola claims Pogba, who has made seven appearances as a substitute for the Red Devils this season, is yet to make up his mind.

He told Sky Sport Italia: "He can remain at Manchester United or go to Juventus.
    "It's a tough decision to be taken by the boy, thinking of his career. Both possibilities present some chances.
    "It's a choice that should be made quietly.
    "United count on him and want to extend his contract. His future will depend very much on the will of the boy."

Uploads

Nicolas Anelka: Now Shanghai's player-manager

NEW ROLE FOR NICOLAS ANELKA

Former Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka has become Shanghai Shenhua's player-manager.
    The 33-year-old former France international confirmed the news on Twitter on Thursday afternoon, having joined the big-spending Chinese Super League club on a two-year contract in December.

The much-travelled striker, who also counts Arsenal, Paris St Germain, Bolton and Real Madrid among his former clubs, wrote on his official Twitter feed @anelkaofficiel: "It's official I just become (sic) the new player-manager of Shanghai Shenhua."
    Shanghai have so far won just one of their opening five CSL matches to sit in 11th in the 16-team top flight. Anelka has started four games, scoring twice.

Uploads

Jason Scotland: Hoping to stay at Ipswich

JASON SCOTLAND WANTS NEW DEAL

Jason Scotland is hoping he has done enough to persuade Paul Jewell to extend his deal at Ipswich.
    Scotland scored the equaliser with a long-range strike in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace, taking his tally to eight for the season.

Having waived a clause in his contract earning him a pay rise for starting 19 games, the striker is hoping his commitment to the club and his performances will earn him a new deal.
    "I want to stay. I've been talking to the gaffer and the chairman, so we will have to wait and see," he told the Daily Star.

Uploads

Maik Taylor: Happy to stay at Millwall

MAIK TAYLOR HAPPY AT MILLWALL

Veteran goalkeeper Maik Taylor is keen to remain at Millwall next season following his successful spell on loan at the south London club.
    The 40-year-old, who is yet to play for parent club Leeds, joined the Lions in mid-March and has since gone on to play seven times in the Championship.
    His loan spell ends in May and the former Northern Ireland international has enjoyed his time at the New Den.

Taylor told the Daily Star: "If staying is an option for me, then I will speak with the manager and see what is open for me.
    "I'm just grateful for the opportunity and if it goes beyond the season, then it's fantastic.
    "I thought I was coming in to put some pressure on the other keeper and the manager has given me an opportunity. Things have gone well, so hopefully that will continue."

Uploads

Jack Butland: Back from loan spell

BUTLAND BACK AT BIRMINGHAM

Birmingham have recalled Jack Butland from his loan spell at Cheltenham after first-choice goalkeeper Boaz Myhill suffered a thumb injury on Saturday.
    Myhill, on a season-long loan spell from West Brom, sustained the problem during an innocuous incident in the warm-up to Saturday's 2-2 draw against Bristol City.

The seriousness of the injury will be assessed over the coming days but Myhill will definitely miss Tuesday's trip to Ipswich and is highly likely to sit out of Saturday's clash at Brighton, with Colin Doyle taking his place between the posts.
    And that has forced manager Chris Hughton's hand in recalling England Under-21 stopper Butland as cover from npower League Two Cheltenham, where he was due to remain until the end of the season.

Speaking on Monday morning, Hughton said: "We'll assess Boaz over the next couple of days and the extent of his injury, with him being out it was an obvious one to bring Jack back.
    "It's not broken, in effect I think he's sprained it but we need to see whether it's more than that."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast