Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 19-04-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 19-04-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 19-04-2012

Raul: On his way in the summer

RAUL TO LEAVE SCHALKE
    Veteran Spanish striker Raul will play his club football outside Europe for the first time next season after confirming he will leave Schalke in the summer.
    The 34-year-old says the time is right to move to "a less competitive league" and has turned down a new deal from the Gelsenkirchen club.
    Raul, who holds Real Madrid's club records for appearances (741) and goals (323), has become a fans' favourite at Schalke after signing from the Spanish giants in 2010.
    He scored 13 times in his debut season, including two hat-tricks, and has added a further 14 goals this term to help take the Royal Blues to the brink of a place in the Champions League next season.

Yet after months of speculation, the three-time Champions League winner has elected to move on to pastures new.
    "I have made up my mind and will not be playing for Schalke in the future," Raul told reporters at a press conference.
    "It was anything but an easy decision for me. I would like to thank the club, the president, the manager - they were all very patient with me.
    "I would like to say that my future is going to be outside of Europe.
    "I will sit down with my agent once again and we will analyse the offers, but it will be a less competitive league."

Raul, who has been linked with a move to Qatar, became the top all-time scorer in the Champions League during his time at Schalke, moving onto 71 goals, but even the prospect of another year in the competition could not persuade him to stay.
    His last home game for the club will be against Hertha Berlin on April 28, and he expects it to be an emotional occasion.
    "I had two wonderful years here," he said. "I cannot fail to mention the fans, the very special fans who have shown me so much affection and respect.

"I can only imagine how difficult it is going to be in my final (home) game against Hertha.
    "I cannot find the right words to describe it. These fans will always have a place in my heart. This club is and remains a part of my life."
    Raul said that being able to spend more time with his family was the key factor in his decision, and that his eventual destination will depend more on them than on money.

"I definitely have the self-confidence to play in a tough league, but it is more about the family," he said.
    "I have not been able to spend much time with them lately. The Bundesliga is so demanding that you cannot spend so long with them.
    "We will now look at the offers and see what gives me the most time for family life.
    "Of course it would have been attractive to play in the Champions League once again, but on the other hand, this further reduces your family life and that is what I want now."

Raul's 27 goals in two seasons have earned him cult status in Gelsenkirchen and Schalke's director of sport Horst Heldt said he will be given a benefit game next year.
    "We are working on getting a Spanish club to come here for a testimonial," he said.
    "We are also not going to give the number seven shirt to anybody for a while - it would not be easy to step into his footsteps.
    "Raul will also become a member of our Hall of Fame, which shows how great we found his time with us."
    Club president Clemens Tonnies told Raul: "The doors to Schalke will remain open to you forever.
    "Whenever you need us, Schalke and all of our fans will be there for you."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 19-04-2012

Cisse: Newcastle must retain stars

CISSE: MAGPIES NEED TO KEEP STAR NAMES
    Scoring sensation Papiss Cisse has urged Newcastle to hang on to all their best players as they prepare for what they hope will be an exciting new challenge.
    The Magpies could secure European football for next season with a victory over Stoke on Saturday and, in the process, strengthen their claims on Champions League qualification.

But amid speculation that a series of Premier League rivals are ready to test their resolve to hang on to the likes of goalkeeper Tim Krul, midfielder Cheick Tiote and leading scorer Demba Ba, the club's fans will approach the latest transfer window with some trepidation.
    Cisse, whose 10 goals in nine games since his January arrival from Freiburg have lit up Tyneside, admits he would be particularly disappointed to lose either Tiote or strike-partner Ba.

He told the Northern Echo: "Yes, I would be worried if they left because they have helped me a lot.
    "It may effect me because of that but, at the end of the day, that's football and if a big opportunity came along for them to move, they can.
    "But I would love for them to stay and play here longer because we are doing very well together.
    "It's down to Newcastle, they will do the right thing. At the end of the day, I trust the club and they will do the right thing."
    Newcastle famously took the controversial decision to accept Liverpool's astronomical 35million offer for Andy Carroll in January last year, and while that was hugely unpopular at the time, they have gone from strength to strength.

Indeed, it would be a huge disappointment if the club did not now claim at least a Europa League place, and the prospect of bringing European football back to St James' Park is one Cisse is relishing.
    He said: "That's my objective, Europe. I like it. I sleep with it, I wake up with it every morning.
    "I know it's tight at the top of the table, but I'm trying to do my best and hopefully, we will get there."

Uploads

Steven Reid: In talks over new deal

BAGGIES DISCUSS NEW STEVEN REID DEAL
    West Brom have opened talks with Steven Reid over a new deal, head coach Roy Hodgson has confirmed.
    Reid - currently sidelined with a foot injury - is out of contract in the summer although Albion can take up a 12-month option.
    And the club's technical and sporting director Dan Ashworth has spoken with Reid's representatives.
    Hodgson said: "Dan is having discussions with Reid's agent. Steven has done a very good job in the time I've been here so I don't think his current injury will affect him.
    "It will be more a question of us being convinced he's a man that will still help us next year and he being convinced that he wants to be here and help us out.

"Dan will talk him through that one and, if he wants to stay, it won't be a difficult decision to keep him if they can reach an agreement."
    Hodgson insists any decision on whether to offer striker Marc-Antoine Fortune a new deal will be based on his performances during his entire 18 months in charge.
    Fortune struggled to make an impact, and was loaned out to Doncaster earlier in the season, but has been a key figure in the New Year since returning to the Hawthorns.

Hodgson said: "Our decision on Fortune will be based on 18 months' work and not just two months but it's been good for him that he has suddenly started to play well.
    "It has made us realise the potential we saw in him is now likely to be realised."
    Fortune is also out of contract in the summer but again Albion can take up a 12-month option if they desire.

Uploads

Caulker: Looking to emulate Walker

CAULKER EAGER TO EARN HIS SPURS
    Steven Caulker hopes to follow in the footsteps of Kyle Walker and force his way into the first team at Tottenham.
    Full-back Walker has been nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year after a superb campaign for Spurs having spent last season on loan at Aston Villa.
    And Caulker, who has impressed in 22 appearances at centre-half for Swansea this term, has targeted pre-season as a chance to prove he is good enough when he returns to Spurs.
    The England U21 international told the Tottenham club website: "For me, going out on loan has been all about progression, trying to put myself in a position where I am ready to compete for a place at Spurs.
    "Kyle has done brilliantly and has definitely shown the plus side of going out and learning your trade. I would love to follow in his footsteps and be alongside him at Spurs next season.
    "Pre-season is going to be a crucial time for me, a time where I need to be at my best and show that I am worth a place in the squad."
    Caulker had words of praise for Swansea and manager Brendan Rodgers, adding: "It has been an amazing experience. First and foremost playing under a fantastic manager.
    "My confidence has grown throughout the season and my composure has increased so much. Now I want to take the ball from the goalkeeper and I know I've got options in front of me. It is a style I enjoy playing in."

Uploads

Martin O'Neill: Planning Sunderland future

O'NEILL VOWS TO KEEP STAR MEN
    Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill is determined to hang on to his key players as he plans a bright future on Wearside.
    O'Neill is yet to sit down with owner and chairman Ellis Short to discuss his summer rebuilding plans, and expects to do so as the current season draws to a close.
    However, while he knows in which areas he would like to strengthen, he wants to retain the key men who have driven the recovery he has prompted since his arrival at the Stadium of Light in December.
    O'Neill told the Sunderland Echo: "I really don't want to go down the road of telling people that this is set in stone or that is set in stone and then find myself being put on the spot a few months later when this happens or that happens.

"The modern game moves so quickly that just about anything can happen.
    "But I'm happy to say the owner agrees with me that we want to keep our very best players at the club because we are looking to build something here and move forward.
    "You don't tend to do that if you are selling your best players.
    "We have a squad in a process of development. We have a lot of work to do, and I think it is clear that we need to strengthen.
    "We remain very much a club that is looking to go forward."

The retention of star man Stephane Sessegnon in particular will be a priority for the Black Cats after recent speculation linking him with former club Paris St Germain and Arsenal.
    Sessegnon has been touted as a potential target amid rumours that he has not settled in the north-east, although O'Neill insisted only last week that the Benin international could not be happier.

Uploads

Ward: Committed future to Derby

WARD EXTENDS RAMS CONTRACT
    Derby forward Jamie Ward has signed a new two-year deal with the club, with the option of a further year.
    Ward's contract ran until June next year but the 25-year-old is now committed to the Rams until at least June 2014.
    "It wasn't really desperate to get it done because Jamie had time left on his contract but I think it is fitting to reward him," said Derby boss Nigel Clough.

"He gives us options in his play. He can play wide and he can play up front as well. He is also a niggly so-and-so, one of those players you don't like playing against. We need a little bit of that and maybe some more feistiness."
    Ward has made 38 appearances for the Rams this season and scored four goals. He has recently returned to the team after missing eight matches with a thigh injury sustained while on international duty with Northern Ireland.
    Gareth Roberts, Jake Buxton and Ward have all signed new deals in the past week and there is a contract offer on the table for Paul Green, whose contract expires this summer.

Uploads

Eddie Howe: Looking to get his summer work done early

EDDIE HOWE KEEN TO GET CRACKING
    Burnley boss Eddie Howe wants to get business done early this summer, but insists he remains in the dark with regards to his transfer budget.
    Danny Ings, Junior Stanislas and Zavon Hines all arrived at Turf Moor after the current campaign began, and Howe is aiming to avoid a repeat as he looks to build a squad capable of challenging for npower Championship promotion.
    However, a budget is not yet in place as a number of factors remain up in the air, including the future of sought-after top scorer Jay Rodriguez.
    "We know the areas we want to strengthen," Howe told the Lancashire Evening Telegraph. "We do believe we need to add numbers to the squad because we are too light on the ground. But everything will be decided by finances. It's going to be tight.

"I think it's dependent on a lot of factors, and I don't think, in fairness to the board, that they know at the moment because there are other factors that will decide that."
    He added: "It's very much a case of play it by ear, which isn't a great situation to be in, but we're confident we can bring in the right players to improve the squad and hopefully we can do that."

Uploads

Willian: Midfielder is Chelsea's, for the right price

CHELSEA ENCOURAGED IN WILLIAN PURSUIT

Shakhtar Donetsk manager Mircea Lucescu has told Chelsea that Willian is theirs for the right price.
    The Brazil international has shone for the Ukrainian giants since joining from Corinthians in 2007, picking up three Premier League winners' medals and the 2009 UEFA Cup during his time at the club.
    Such form has attracted the interest of European giants such as Chelsea, who Shakhtar chief executive officer Sergei Palkin revealed in January had seen a 16.7million bid for the attacking midfielder rejected.

The club insisted Willian was not for sale at the time, but boss Lucescu has changed tack.
    "They have to pay the price," he said at the club's training centre on the outskirts of Donetsk.
    "They have to pay the price because we bring the players here at 17 or 18 years old.
    "We pay a lot of money because they are talented players and we bring them up. I have 23 or 24 [players like that], not only Willian.
    "Luiz Adriano, Douglas Costa, Alex Teixeira, Dentinho, Alan Patrick - they are very young and they are already prepared to win the championship with a good mentality.

"They have played a lot of matches in Europe and they have a very, very good value.
    "If Chelsea pay his [asking price], I am not against letting my players play for the big clubs.
    "If they pay the price, he can go. If not, he will remain here because he has another two-and-a-half years on his contract."
    Lucescu is unsure whether Chelsea will make a renewed bid for Willian in the summer, but believes his departure would not have a massive negative impact on the squad.

"It is not my problem," the Romanian said of the transfer fee. "It is the problem of our club and Chelsea.
    "But if Chelsea want to take good players that are very well educated then at Shakhtar we have a lot of Brazilians.
    "It is not only the performances they have done here but their education, which is very, very important.
    "For us, every transfer is very difficult because we taken a player of 18 years without a European education."
    Chelsea are in the headlines across the world on Thursday after defeating Barcelona in their Champions League semi-final first leg at Stamford Bridge.

Shakhtar defender Tomas Hubschman watched the match and was impressed by Czech Republic team-mate Petr Cech.
    "He played the best and is the reason Chelsea won yesterday," he said of the Blues goalkeeper.
    "I am not a supporter of Chelsea but their goalkeeper is a friend of mine so that is why I watched.
    "As for me, I like Barcelona. I prefer them more because they play very good and beautiful football. Chelsea play for the result, to win."

Uploads

Gill: Expecting plenty of transfer activity

MAN UNITED CHIEF SET FOR BUSY SUMMER

Manchester United chief executive David Gill is bracing himself for an "interesting" summer.
    As usual, Gill will play a lead role in negotiating United's transfer business and there are also other significant issues, not least a new contract for Paul Scholes, that need to be sorted out.
    It means Gill will be busy when Sir Alex Ferguson is beginning his annual summer vacation - possibly after guiding United to a record 20th league title.

"The work goes on all year round but obviously intensifies as we come to the end of the season in terms of players," Gill told United Review.
    "There's various contracts we've got to do, we'll look at some acquisitions and there will be some players who will leave. It's an interesting time."
    The most notable players likely to be heading for the exit door are record signing Dimitar Berbatov, who has already been told by Ferguson that United would listen to suitable offers, Michael Owen, whose contract runs out anyway, and Bebe, who is due to return from a loan spell with Turkish outfit Besiktas, with whom he is currently suspended after breaking a club curfew.
    Normal rumours about player purchases are starting to intensify and though Ferguson solved what appeared to be a significant weakness in central midfield by calling Scholes out of retirement mid-season, it would be a disappointment to many United fans if the club did not try and secure at least one reinforcement, especially as doubts remain over the future of Anderson, to ensure there is no repeat of this term's awful European performances.

Efforts will be made to try and persuade French youngster Paul Pogba to sign a long-term deal and with Fabio due to leave on loan, a deputy at left-back for Patrice Evra is also required.
    The task is made easier by United's continued presence in the Champions League and winning yet another league title would also provide further proof the Old Trafford outfit are able to compete for the major honours.
    For long periods this term, it did look as though United would end up playing second fiddle to big-spending neighbours Manchester City.

However, a run of 11 wins from 12 games swept Ferguson's team into top spot and though defeat at Wigan nine days ago was a surprise setback, Gill accepts he would have taken United's present lead of five points with four games left had it been offered at the turn of the year.
    "I think we all would," he said.

"It's been an amazing run and it's going to be a tense end to the season. If we do it, it will be fantastic.
    "This time of year's not good [for the nerves]. You do get tense but we've done very well and are in good shape now - five points ahead with four games to go. It's going to be tight but it's been wonderful."

Uploads

Fraser Wishart: Warning to prospective bidders

PLAYERS COULD LEAVE 'NEWCO' - PFA

Rangers players could walk away from Ibrox for free if a new company is formed to take over the club's assets, according to PFA Scotland chief executive Fraser Wishart.
    Wishart has warned administrators that any bidder looking to transfer the club's assets to a 'newco' could find himself losing players.
    Wishart has also urged Duff and Phelps to speed up the process of appointing a preferred bidder amid frustration among his members, who took wage cuts of up to 75% last month.
    Duff and Phelps had been expected to award exclusivity to one bidder last week but there have been several twists and turns since then with Brian Kennedy re-entering the race and the Blue Knights stepping back from the process before having second thoughts.
    US businessman Bill Miller, who remains in the frame along with a Singapore-based group, is believed to favour liquidating the club, whose debts could reach 135million, and any newco could start the season with a 10-point penalty and lose 75% of their income under Scottish Premier League proposals.

Wishart said: "There has been a lot of chat about possible transfer from old Rangers to a newco and discussions about the implications in terms of creditors and football regulations, points penalties and financial penalties.
    "One of the things that has been forgotten about is our members.
    "It's not necessarily the case, in our opinion having taken legal advice, that the players have to go across to a newco.
    "Should a newco be formed the players do not have to go across."

Wishart pointed to employment laws, namely paragraph 4.7 of the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006, which protect employees if a company's assets are transferred to a new firm.
    "They have the right to object to that transfer," said Wishart, who has not yet discussed the issue with the Scottish Football Association.
    "There may well be complications in terms of FIFA regulations and football regulations.
    "I don't think the football authorities have any right to force someone to go and work for a new company should they not wish to.
    "And it will be a new company, whatever it is dressed up as.
    "Our position I think will be supported by the football authorities."

Wishart added: "If players do go across their contracts are protected. The newco would have to take their whole contract, wages, terms and conditions. They may all wish to go across.
    "The players are aware of their individual rights but none of them have come back to me. I don't think anyone is actively searching for a way out.
    "But we are hitting real tight time deadlines. In three weeks' time the season finishes, players go on holiday.
    "They don't know whether they are coming back, some of them who are out of contract. They don't know what state Rangers are going to be in.
    "There is a lot of talking to be done and the players are getting frustrated.
    "I think it's so important, given the size of the debts Rangers have, that someone is given exclusivity as soon as possible."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast