Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 26-04-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 26-04-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 26-04-2012

Roberto Di Matteo: Reached Champions League final

CHELSEA TO WAIT ON DI MATTEO

Roberto Di Matteo will have to wait until the end of the season to discover whether he has a long-term future as Chelsea manager.
    The Blues' form has picked up remarkably since Di Matteo replaced Andre Villas-Boas on an interim basis - culminating on Tuesday night when, despite the first-half dismissal of captain John Terry, they completed a 3-2 aggregate win over Barcelona to reach the Champions League final.
    His 15 games in charge have brought 10 wins, four draws and only one defeat, 2-1 at Manchester City last month.
    But chief executive Ron Gourlay has ruled out an early appointment as club owner Roman Abramovich and technical director Michael Emenalo continue to consider their options.

"We are going to wait until the end of the season," Gourlay told the Daily Express. "Robbie has done a fantastic job but we will stick to our view."
    He added on BBC Radio Five Live: "I don't want to add any pressure on anybody at the club. There is enough pressure on us as it is.
    "We said we'd review things at the end of the season and that's the position we're still in. We'll see how the next few games go and then we'll sit down as we agreed."
    Di Matteo certainly appears to have the support of the Chelsea players, and defender Branislav Ivanovic said: "He's changed everything. He gave us support, he gave us trust, and I think he's great.
    "We have a great relationship and the results are good for us."

Former Blues boss Jose Mourinho will be supporting his former club in the Champions League final against Bayern Munich, conquerors of Mourinho's Real Madrid, and was scathing of those who criticised his former club's defensive performance against Barca at the Nou Camp on Tuesday.
    "John Terry will be missing but Chelsea are there and that is the most important thing," he said. "Chelsea were heroes.
    "People who criticise them know nothing about character, effort and how a team with 10 men can resist physically, mentally and tactically. It reminded me of my own Inter Milan team two years ago.

"The Chelsea fans are fantastic - as are the German fans, so I hope they enjoy it and it is a great final, but I hope Chelsea win."
    But their former winger Arjen Robben, now with Bayern, has warned Chelsea he plans to end their hopes of lifting the trophy.
    "They're my former club, I had a fantastic time there," he told Five Live.
    "Well, I have to disappoint them because they're not going to win it! But no, big compliments to them."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 26-04-2012

Paul Scholes: Big impact on his return

RIO WANTS SCHOLES TO PLAY ON

Rio Ferdinand has urged Manchester United team-mate Paul Scholes to postpone any plans to hang up his boots for another season.
    The Red Devils legend retired last summer but made his return in January and has made a big impact since his return, with United dropping just four points in the 13 Premier League games in which he has featured.
    England defender Ferdinand is hoping the 37-year-old keeps going next season, but knows the decision will come down to his colleague alone.
    Questioned whether he will try to convince Scholes to continue, the centre back said: "Definitely. It would be nice if he could play another season.
    "With Scholesy, though, you know it doesn't make a difference what anybody else says. He's his own man and he'll make his own decision."
    Scholes, who made his United debut in 1993, could secure his 11th league title this season, with Ferguson's men currently top of the Premier League as they bid to hold off local rivals Manchester City in the last three games.

Ferdinand knows the midfielder has played a key role in keeping the Red Devils flying high since the turn of the year.
    He added: "He was out of the game for months and yet he's come straight back into top-level football and he's hardly looked out of place. At this stage of his career, that's phenomenal.
    "It's not just the quality of his football that impresses me but the way he's adapted physically.
    "Would we have been in the same position without him? It's impossible to say. It's great to have him back, though.
    "There are a number of reasons why we've done well since the turn of the year and there's no doubt that one of them is Paul Scholes."

Uploads

Craig Brown: Axes six

ABERDEEN RELEASE SIX PLAYERS

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown has wielded the axe after six players were told they do not have a future at the club beyond the end of the season.
    Rory McArdle, Darren Mackie, Youl Mawene, Mohamed Chalali, Yoann Folly and Danny Uchechi will not be offered new deals and will leave Pittodrie when the current campaign is finished.
    The Dons boss confirmed goalkeeper Jamie Langfield and Josh Magennis have been offered contract extensions to remain at the club, but admitted informing half a dozen players that their time is up was difficult.

Brown said: "It is never easy telling a player that his future lies elsewhere and it is one of the worst aspects of being a manager.
    "I'd like to thank all of the guys who are moving on for their contribution, in particular Darren, who has been a fantastic servant to this club, and wish them all the very best for the future."

Chief executive Duncan Fraser added: "I'd like to echo Craig's comments, in particular regarding Darren, who has been a tremendous ambassador for this club for such a long time, with a first class attitude, both on and off the park."
    Kari Arnason will also depart the Granite City after he rejected a new contract offer at the turn of the year, while Mark Reynolds, on loan from Sheffield Wednesday, will return to Hillsborough at the end of the season.

Uploads

Harte: Set for 12-month extension

IAN HARTE TO SIGN NEW READING DEAL

Ian Harte is set to sign a new contract at Reading after Brian McDermott told the veteran full-back he is wanted for the Premier League.
    Harte, 34, who was named in the PFA Championship Team of the Year recently, has played a crucial role in the Royals' promotion this season.

The former Leeds man has netted four times in 33 appearances for the Berkshire outfit and will be rewarded with a 12-month deal at the Madejski Stadium.
    Harte told the Reading Post: "I spoke to the gaffer last week and he wants me to stay, which I'm delighted about.
    "Hopefully it will be resolved in the next few days, there shouldn't be any issues."

Uploads

Simon Poulsen: In Ajax's sights

AJAX CONSIDER MOVE FOR POULSEN

Ajax manager Frank de Boer is weighing up a summer move for AZ Alkmaar defender Simon Poulsen.
    The Danish left-back is out of contract at the end of the season and has been linked with a move to England.
    But De Boer is looking to increase his options at full-back as he looks to avoid putting too much expectation on highly-rated 20-year-old Nicolai Boilesen.

"Daley Blind is now doing very well on the left and Dico Koppers has also played there but Nicolai Boilesen is probably not in contention to play 34 matches next season," he told www.eredivisie.nl.
    "It seems logical that we think of Poulsen."

Uploads

Murray: Returns as kitman

NEW ROBINS ROLE FOR MURRAY

Former Bristol City winger Scott Murray has rejoined the club - as their kitman.
    Murray, who made more than 400 appearances over two separate spells with the Championship outfit, became a fans' favourite during his time as a player with the Robins.
    And Derek McInnes expects him to inject his own brand of energy into the City dressing room.
    The Robins boss told the club's official website: "Scott was the first person I thought of when we were looking for a new kitman. I believe the role is a valuable member of the team; they're at the heart of everything, in the dressing room and on away trips.

"My last kitman (at St Johnstone) was someone I could really trust and did the job brilliantly, and that's why I'm delighted Scott decided to accept my offer.
    "He's certainly got the personality and charisma for the role, he's bubbly and outgoing, but he's also got the club at heart which is invaluable. I'm sure the supporters will join me in welcoming him to the role and I'm looking forward to working with him."

Uploads

Florent Malouda: Frustrated by role as substitute

MALOUDA READY TO FIGHT FOR PLACE

Out-of-favour Chelsea winger Florent Malouda expects to see out the final year of his contract at Stamford Bridge but will not be content to spend it on the bench.
    Malouda slipped down the pecking order under former Blues boss Andre Villas-Boas and has not managed to reclaim a regular first-team spot since interim manager Roberto Di Matteo took over.

The France international was an unused substitute against Barcelona on Tuesday night as Chelsea reached the Champions League final.
    The 31-year-old, who has a year to run on his contract, was frustrated watching from the sidelines and is eager to win back his place for the final in Munich next month.
    He told The Sun: "No, I don't accept being a sub. I would never accept it otherwise it would be time for me to retire.
    "It has been a hard season for me but things can change very quickly here.
    "Last year I was the club's top scorer and this year I started the season as a substitute and less playing time.
    "This year I experienced quarter-finals from the stands, a semi-final on the bench, which is the first time for me. I want to play in finals and win them.
    "I know I show up when I'm on the pitch. But I'm not someone who likes to complain.
    "Everything is possible here. I'll see what the coach wants to do. I am a competitor, of course I want to play.
    "I have one year left, I think I will go to the end of my contract."

Despite indicating he is likely to stay at Stamford Bridge, Malouda admits he is on the wishlist of former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti at Ligue 1 giants Paris St Germain.
    The Frenchman has spoken to his former manager but does not know if a return to his homeland would be feasible.
    He said: "I've already spoken to him about it but the answer must stay between us. He's someone I like a lot but I do not know if it's possible."

Uploads

Alex McLeish: Has come under fire

SACKING McLEISH 'FOOLISH' - DOUG ELLIS

Former Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis believes it would be "foolish" for the current owner Randy Lerner to sack manager Alex McLeish.
    Villa fans demanded the end of McLeish's reign after Tuesday's 2-1 home defeat by Bolton left them only three points above the Barclays Premier League relegation zone.

A section of supporters are intending to protest against McLeish during the final home game of the season against Tottenham on May 6.
    But Ellis, who sold his controlling stake to Lerner six years ago, has backed his decision to support McLeish.
    Ellis told the Birmingham Mail: "It would be foolish for McLeish to go. Despite the fact most of the fans are upset he came from Birmingham, McLeish is a good manager.

"The game is not about management, it is about players. Villa have three, four, five established first-team players who are injured and we have to bring in the kids.
    "But they will not go down. Villa have three more matches, a three-point gap above the bottom three, a better goal difference, and need three points to be certain."

Fans vented their anger against McLeish after the Bolton defeat which meant they had won just once in 13 games and intend to protest at the Spurs game.
    Protest organiser Chris Hearn said: "We want to increase the pressure on our board to act or for McLeish to do the honourable thing and walk away.
    "If supporters have had enough of the direction the club is taking under McLeish, now is the time to act."

Uploads

Dante: Joining Bayern Munich

DANTE HEADING TO BAYERN

Champions League finalists Bayern Munich are to sign Brazilian defender Dante from Bundesliga rivals Borussia Monchengladbach in the summer, the Borussia-Park club have confirmed.
    Borussia had hoped to keep Dante but he has informed the director of sport Max Eberl he will be moving to Bayern.
    Dante told the club website, www.borussia.de: "Bayern Munich are among the world's top three or four clubs. At Bayern I have the chance to play at the very highest level and win titles.

"I'm 28 now and this is a career step I'd like to take."
    Dante revealed Monchengladbach had tried to persuade him to stay with the offer of a new contract.
    "Borussia tried all they could to keep me and give me a new contract.
    "I've been here for three and a half years now and I've had a wonderful time.
    "For that I'd like to thank everyone at the club and the fantastic supporters.
    "It hurts to leave but decisions like this are a part of every player's career."

Eberl admitted the club had been disappointed by Dante's decision but that they understood his choice.
    He said: "Nevertheless we were hoping right to the end that Dante would opt to continue down the path he has taken here as a top player and crowd favourite and go on to write history in Monchengladbach.
    "We understand his decision but we're obviously a touch disappointed."
    Eberl was confident the club could find a replacement for Dante to link up with Martin Stranzl and Roel Brouwers.
    "The situation hasn't caught us entirely unawares," he said.
    "We want to have three excellent centre-backs again next season and I don't have any worries in that respect.
    "We found Dante and so we'll find someone who can replace him as well."

Uploads

Terry Butcher: Happy to loan out Morrison

INVERNESS LOAN OUT MORRISON

Inverness have allowed midfielder Gavin Morrison to join Icelandic top-flight club Grindavik.
    The new Icelandic season starts next month and Inverness are happy to loan out the 22-year-old.
    Morrison has found first-team opportunities hard to come by this season and he hopes his move to Iceland will boost his chances of establishing himself in Caley boss Terry Butcher's plans next season

"I only had four starts and one appearance as a sub this season for Caley Thistle before damaging my knee at the end of November," Morrison told Courier Sport.
    "I am looking forward to playing with Grindavik FC to get more match practice and hope that on my return I will be able to play more first-team football."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast