Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-04-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 28-04-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 28-04-2012

Gareth Bale: Enjoyed being in Champions League

Gareth Bale says he'll have to "see what's best for myself" if Spurs don't reach the Champions League.
    A run of one win in nine Barclays Premier League outings has seen Spurs slip from title challengers to fifth place, outside the Champions League berths and facing the prospect of a second season of Europa League football next term.

Bale hopes Tottenham can produce a strong finish to the campaign and claim a top-four berth that would bring qualification to European football's top table, providing London rivals Chelsea do not win their Champions League final against Bayern Munich on May 19.
    Yet should Spurs fall short, the 22-year-old Wales winger has warned that his ambition to play at the highest level could see him reassess his future.

"I had a taste of it last season and I enjoyed it thoroughly," said Bale of the Champions League in an interview with the BBC's Football Focus.
    "I think everybody always wants to test themselves against the best players in the world.
    "We have to wait and see what happens. Obviously if we don't [qualify for Champions League], we'll have to sit down and discuss and see what's best for myself."

Bale, who is under contract at White Hart Lane until 2015, played down reports linking him with Barcelona, however.
    "Obviously it's flattering but at the end of the day I'm still a Tottenham player and I need to keep performing week in week out for not just myself but for the team," he said.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-04-2012

Nacer Chadli: Looks set for Fulham move

Nacer Chadli is set to join Fulham this summer, according to the in-demand C Twente winger's agent.
    The 2.5million-ated Belgium international has been linked with several Premier League clubs including Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham.
    However, the 22-year-old's agent Daniel Evrad has claimed his player will almost certainly be signing for Fulham.
    "He has a 99 per cent chance of leaving with Fulham his destination," Evrad said.

Marko Marin: Joining Chelsea in the summer

Chelsea have agreed a deal to sign Werder Bremen midfielder Marko Marin.
    The Blues announced on their official website that they have had an undisclosed offer accepted and the Germany international has agreed personal terms to move in the summer.
    The 23-year-old, who joined Bremen from Borussia Monchengladbach in 2009 and was contracted to the club until June 2013, has already passed a medical in London and will sign a contract with the Blues in the next few weeks, according to his current club.

Speaking ahead of Bremen's Bundesliga match with Wolfsburg on Saturday, Marin said he cannot wait to play in the Barclays Premier League.
    "I had a really good time with Werder together with many great guys here, and I have lots of nice memories, but of course I am looking forward to the challenge of playing in the Premier League with such an established club," he said.
    Marin made his Germany debut in 2008 and was part of their 2010 World Cup squad. However, he has spent much of this season on the sidelines due to injury and is not assured of a place in Joachim Low's squad for Euro 2012.

Bremen's director of sport Klaus Allofs said in a statement: "We have always said that we would be open to talk if any of our players receives a good offer which was also interesting for Werder and we had good talks with the management at Chelsea, so that we were able to reach an agreement quickly.
    "In the coming weeks, we will then deal with the last formalities.
    "We wish Marko all the best for this new challenge."

Tevez: Spurs move 'wasn't possible'

Tottenham failed in an audacious bid to sign Manchester City maverick Carlos Tevez in January, according to Harry Redknapp.
    Having fallen out with Roberto Mancini after apparently refusing to come off the bench at Bayern Munich, Tevez went AWOL for three months towards the end of last year and the City boss said the Argentina striker would not play for the club again.
    It is not known whether Tevez would have been keen on a move to Spurs, who were then keeping pace with City in the title race, but a potential deal would not have happened anyway due to the forward's wage demands.
    "I said to the chairman 'can you get me Carlos Tevez?'," Redknapp said.
    "Daniel made some enquiries, but it wasn't doable. If he could have done it, he would have.

"He (Levy) would have loved Tevez, but it wasn't possible because his wages are 200,000 a week. It's not possible at Tottenham to buy him.
    "He is a fantastic player. When he puts a shirt on he doesn't stop running, working, he's enthusiastic, he can play and he can score goals."
    Soon after the transfer window shut in January, Tottenham's season began to unravel.
    After being in a position to move top at the turn of the year, Redknapp's team now find themselves fifth in the Barclays Premier League after a run of one win in nine.
    Tottenham defender Vedran Corluka, who is on loan at Bayer Leverkusen, risked his manager's ire on Thursday when he claimed Spurs could finish as low as sixth because of his failure to rotate.
    Redknapp changed his team less than any other top-flight manager over the festive period, but he robustly denied Corluka's claims that his players are worn out after not being rested.
    "No players have ever come to me and said they felt tired," said Redknapp, whose side host Blackburn on Sunday.
    "Some of their stats have gone down because they have not wanted to run about enough - it's not because they are knackered.
    "The players have probably played on average 30 games this year and I don't think it is a lot.
    "I don't ever remember Bobby Moore getting rotated, nor Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Dave Mackay or Alan Mullery. They played ankle deep in mud every week.
    "It's a load of nonsense. It's an excuse."

Redknapp was angered by the suggestion that his team have collapsed due to his management style and was also irritated by the claim that he had a bust-up with striker Emmanuel Adebayor this week.
    "Whoever said that is telling lies. It is an absolute lie," he said.
    "I have not had one cross word with Adebayor since he came here.
    "He has never been a minute's problem to me. When we took him here from Manchester City people said he's aggro or whatever.. but he is not a problem.
    "The whole thing is fabricated. I am sure we would love to keep him here next year. He is a top player."

Mark Hughes: Impressed by Di Matteo

QPR manager Mark Hughes believes former Chelsea team-mate Roberto Di Matteo has done enough to become the Blues' permanent boss following his success since taking over on an interim basis.
    Di Matteo has guided Chelsea to the FA Cup final and also masterminded a semi-final win over Barcelona in the Champions League, results which have seen his odds to take the job full-time dramatically shorten.
    Hughes leads his relegation-threatened side into Stamford Bridge on Sunday and reckons the success of Barcelona proves that Di Matteo could be the man to lead Chelsea into next season and beyond.

"I think it (the result) was fantastic for Chelsea, it was a huge performance by them and they deserve every credit," he said.
    "He has done great and I think Robbie would obviously be delighted he has the opportunity that has been presented to him - he had to grab it with both hands and that is what he has done.
    "I think the fact he was in and around the group with the previous manager meant he understood the issues the group had with the previous manager and he has been able to go in and, from the outside looking in it, it looks like he has been able to address issues.
    "Who knows (if he will get the job). He has done his prospects no harm whatsoever. I think he has done everything that could be asked of him and that is credit to him because it was difficult circumstances as he was involved with the previous management team but he has come through."

The club's fortunes have turned around since the departure of Andre Villas-Boas but Hughes believes only Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich knows if Di Matteo will get the job.
    "He has given himself a shot at it certainly - it is not up to me, there is only one guy who makes the decisions at Chelsea, I think we all know that," he said.
    Tomorrow's match will be Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand's first trip to the home of his side's arch-rivals since October's reverse fixture, after which allegations emerged he had been racially abused by Terry, something Terry categorically denies.
    The Premier League have cancelled the pre-match handshake ritual, something that did not exist during Hughes' playing career and a part of the game that seems to only be mentioned in a bad way.
    "When I was playing we just used to run around, we didn't even have warm ups to be honest. We would come out two minutes before the referee blew the whistle and got on with it," he said.

"Sometimes it is easier to accentuate the negatives rather than the positives of what is a fantastic sport that we are involved in."
    Following Chelsea's midweek exertions several changes are expected to the hosts' starting line-up going into the West London derby but Hughes feels that could put his side at a disadvantage.
    "I'm sure they will make changes and freshen the group. You could argue that the guys who have been on the edge of the team in recent weeks," he said.
    "It is their opportunity to push for a cup final place so whoever gets the opportunity to play against us is going to give it a go. Maybe you'd think that it would be an easier time to play them but given the circumstances in a game like this it is going to be difficult for us."
    QPR have beaten the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham during a difficult season and Hughes admitted his team seem to prefer playing when the pressure is off.

"Our best performances have been against the better teams in the Premier League," he said.
    "I don't know why that is, maybe the pressure is off and the expectations in terms of what people expect us to do is possibly different than when we go up against team where we are expected to win.
    "The expectations from people outside the club is probably quite low in terms of what we can achieve against Chelsea - but internally I would suggest that we feel we can have a real go."

Roberto Di Matteo: Happy as an assistant

Roberto Di Matteo has refused to rule out his next job being as an assistant manager, despite his spectacular success as Chelsea caretaker boss.
    Di Matteo has gone from no-hoper to serious contender to succeed Andre Villas-Boas on a permanent basis after an astonishing eight weeks in the Stamford Bridge hotseat.
    Despite having led Chelsea to the Champions League and FA Cup finals, the Italian was none the wiser yesterday as to his long-term future.
    Reports suggest owner Roman Abramovich will pull out all the stops to land Pep Guardiola, who yesterday confirmed he was quitting Barcelona at the end of the season.

Guardiola plans to take a sabbatical from the game but if he could be convinced to change his mind, that could leave Di Matteo looking for a new job.
    There would be no shortage of suitors for the 41-year-old but there might also be the option of returning to the assistant role he held under Villas-Boas.
    The former MK Dons and West Brom boss said: "When I decided to become a number two, I didn't look at it as a step backwards.
    "I thought it was an exciting journey for myself, to be able to work with one of the best coaches in European football and for this club, which is in my heart.
    "Sometimes in life you take a step back and two forwards.
    "Whatever happens in the future, I'll think about it and see what is the right choice."
    Di Matteo's number one priority upon his appointment was ensuring Chelsea qualified for next season's Champions League.
    And despite their cup success, they remain in real danger of failing to do so after slipping to sixth in the Barclays Premier League, four points behind fourth-placed Newcastle.

If they are not to leave themselves having to win the Champions League to reach next season's competition, it would appear imperative they win tomorrow's west London derby against QPR and Wednesday's head-to-head clash with Newcastle.
    Di Matteo said: "We have to win our games and then see what the other results are.
    "We are under pressure to win our games. That's our position."
    The Italian also refused to panic about Chelsea's defensive crisis going into tomorrow's clash.
    John Terry will be the Blues' only fit regular centre-back, with Gary Cahill and David Luiz both injured and Branislav Ivanovic serving the final instalment of a three-match ban.
    Di Matteo will almost certainly be forced to play someone out of position alongside captain Terry.
    Jose Bosingwa would appear the favourite after his heroic performance in Tuesday's Champions League semi-final second leg, which saw him press-ganged into playing centre-half when Terry was sent off.

Di Matteo said: "All the players that played on Tuesday were heroic. But, you know, we'll have a strong team on Sunday."
    The other options are Bosingwa's fellow right-back Paulo Ferreira, who made his first appearance of 2012 in the Champions League quarter-final first leg at Benfica, or midfielders John Obi Mikel and Michael Essien.
    There is also the remote possibility of Sam Hutchinson being thrown in at the deep end as he continues his comeback from what had been a career-ending injury.
    Whatever Di Matteo decides, he should take note of the last time Chelsea went into a game at Stamford Bridge with such a makeshift defence.
    That was their shock 3-0 home defeat to Sunderland in November 2010, the game that proved the beginning of the end of Carlo Ancelotti's reign as Blues boss.
    Di Matteo said: "I have to select a team on Sunday to beat QPR with the injuries and suspension that we have.

"It'll be a tough game because they're fighting against relegation, and we know how hard it is to play a team fighting against the drop. We experienced that against Wigan recently.
    "I expect an aggressive team, a defensive team. The majority of teams that come to Stamford Bridge play very defensively.
    "That's what I expect from QPR."
    Di Matteo refused to expand on the extent of Cahill's hamstring injury, amid fears he was a doubt for the Champions League final in three weeks' time.
    An optimistic Cahill last night described the problem as "not too bad" and vowed to be back "as quickly as possible".

Lambert's signings have impressed Dalglish

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish believes Norwich should not hesitate in agreeing to counterpart Paul Lambert's requests in the transfer market this summer.
    The Canaries have impressed in their first season back in the Barclays Premier League and victory on Saturday evening would take them level on points with the Reds, who are currently eighth.
    Dalglish is full of admiration for Lambert, who was a player under him at Celtic, and reckons the Norwich board should back him with whatever finances they can muster.

"In the summer they spent money really well on players so I think Paul will be looking to progress again next year," the Liverpool boss said.
    "I am sure he will be rapping on the [chairman's] door saying any money they've made should be spent on players to enhance what the players there have already done.

"The record he has got, there shouldn't be much time wasted from the Norwich people in saying yes."
    While Dalglish has had a net spend of around 70million since taking over in January last year, Lambert's dealings have been considerably less.
    One of the club's best deals, however, was just before Lambert arrived when predecessor Bryan Gunn captured striker Grant Holt for about 400,000.
    The 31-year-old has 13 league goals this season, making him the second highest English goalscorer behind Wayne Rooney, and headed the equaliser in the draw at Anfield earlier in the season.

"No-one gets anywhere without working hard but it is nice to see the likes of Holt with his hard work getting rewarded," Dalglish added.
    "For anyone to do well for their honest endeavour is always pleasing. But I hope he has a bad day Saturday."
    Norwich and another of last season's promoted teams Swansea have secured their top-flight futures for another year and Dalglish believes that shows the growing strength of the npower Championship.

"I think those teams have been exceptional this season," he said.
    "Swansea have been excellent and thoroughly deserve the great credit they have received for their performances and Norwich come into that category.
    "The teams that have come up this season have probably been the most successful of any which have done so."

Jefferson Farfan: Has signed new four-year deal

Schalke have confirmed Jefferson Farfan has signed a contract extension until 2016, ending months of speculation about the Peruvian's future.
    The club announced on their official website after Saturday's 4-0 Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin that Farfan had put pen to paper on a new four-year deal.
    Farfan turned down Schalke's initial approach late last year, but Royal Blues director of sport Horst Heldt revealed he had a change of heart a few weeks ago.
    "We had always said that we were open to talks and about a fortnight ago there were the first signs of him coming back to the negotiating table, and we took advantage of that," Heldt told Sky television.

"We are very, very pleased that it has worked out because we always wanted to extend Jefferson's contract.
    "In recent weeks, we have managed to get there with the support of the fans, who have always supported him, and this is important for the coming years."
    Schalke's win today secured their place in the Champions League group stage next season.

Lewis Toshney: Made eight appearances for Killie

Scotland Under-21 full-back Lewis Toshney would welcome a return to Kilmarnock next season - but only if he cannot force his way into the Celtic team.
    The right-back, who turned 20 this week, has made eight appearances for Killie since joining them on loan in January.
    His sole Celtic appearance came off the bench in a 3-0 victory over Aberdeen in February last year but he is hoping his recent first-team experience can help him when he returns to Parkhead.
    Toshney, whose team face Inverness in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League on Saturday, said: "I will go back to Celtic and have pre-season at Celtic and just see what happens there.
    "If I'm in favour at Celtic I will be looking to push on and hopefully get a first-team place.
    "If not, if I'm really in trouble and not playing, and playing reserve games once a month again, I will be looking to go out on loan and play in the SPL.

"I'm really looking forward to going back to Celtic but if it comes to it I would definitely pick Kilmarnock to come back to."
    Toshney has had some positive feedback from Celtic manager Neil Lennon with coaching and scouting staff John Park and Stevie Frail also watching him in action.
    "I went back to Celtic to train the week before the League Cup final and the gaffer took me in and had a word," Toshney said.
    "He said I was doing well and just told me to keep on doing what I was doing and everything they had taught me at Celtic.
    "The gaffer has been brilliant and has kept in touch."
    Toshney has also been heartened by Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels' faith in his ability.
    "It's been a great experience for me," he said. "I made my debut for Celtic last season but playing week in week out in the SPL, you don't get much better.

"I was thinking I might have to drop a level to get games but the gaffer has shown faith in me and he has been exceptional.
    "The manager wants to bring young players through here and he has shown great faith in me.
    "A big part of my career was playing in the NextGen games at Barcelona, Marseille and Man City and coming here I have taken that into it.
    "Playing in the top league in Scotland has been brilliant for a 19-year-old kid coming through."
    Toshney also made his Scotland Under-21 debut this week in the 4-1 friendly defeat by Italy.
    "It was only 10 minutes but it was good experience," he said.
    "I was in squads before but I was getting injured quite a lot and wasn't really going a lot.
    "But I'm playing week in week out for Kilmarnock so I'm getting noticed a lot more."