Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 29-04-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 29-04-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 29-04-2012

Frank Lampard: Wants to continue at Stamford Bridge

FRANK LAMPARD WANTS CHELSEA STAY

Frank Lampard insists that he wants to remain at Chelsea for a number of years, following the examples of Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.
    The 33-year-old has one-year left on his current deal at Stamford Bridge, and he has been linked with moves to Spain, USA and China.
    But Lampard has seen the likes of Scholes and Giggs playing well into their 30s and he wants to do the same.

"I love Chelsea and, ideally, I will be here longer than just one more season," he told the Sunday Mirror.
    "I look at people like Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs at Manchester United and see what they are still doing and I would love to do the same for Chelsea. I want to emulate them."

Lampard admits he did think about leaving to play abroad a number of years ago, but he was more than happy to commit to Chelsea.
    "I considered playing abroad three or four years ago, that's true. But I decided to be here at Chelsea for the long haul," he said.
    "You can see what can be achieved by players like John Terry and Steven Gerrard who have been one-club men. Talks are planned with the club in the summer and as long as they want me, I would be more than happy to continue.

"As you get that bit older, you can't play the same way as you did five or six years ago. But I still feel I can contribute. I still feel good and I feel fresh in training and I am enjoying my football as much as ever."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 29-04-2012

Tevez: Could stay at City

CARLOS TEVEZ PART OF MANCINI'S PLANS

Roberto Mancini believes Carlos Tevez will not hit top form until next season, suggesting he expects the Argentine to still be at Manchester City.
    Tevez has helped to reignite City's Premier League title bid since returning from a self-imposed exile in his homeland.
    The Argentina international spent more than three months back in South America after suffering an infamous falling out with Mancini during a UEFA Champions League clash with Bayern Munich.
    It appeared as though there would be no way back for him at the Etihad Stadium, with Mancini claiming he was 'finished' and Tevez reiterating his desire to secure a move elsewhere.

He has, however, been welcomed back into the fold over recent weeks and has fired City back into title contention with four goals in three games.
    Mancini believes there is still more to come from his fiery frontman and feels he will be an ever greater force to be reckoned with in 2012/13.
    He said: "It is difficult for him to play after six months.
    "For this reason he played only the last two or three games.
    "I think he can find his best form next season, after pre-season."
    When asked if that meant Mancini wanted to keep Tevez, who is widely expected to leave in the summer, the Italian - not for the first time - was coy.
    He said: "I think he has a contract with Manchester City, but I don't think in this moment it is important to talk about the future for everyone."
    It has been suggested that City would already have the Premier League title wrapped up had they been able to call on Tevez's services for the entire season, but Mancini is reluctant to buy into that belief.

He said: "No, I don't think (about) this.
    "It was a strange situation six months ago and I said to Carlo, a lot of times, apologise and it would be finished.
    "Carlos didn't want to do this, he wanted to leave the club in December.
    "But if we are here it is also because the other players were playing very well.
    "(Sergio) Aguero scored a lot of goals, (Edin) Dzeko the same, (Mario) Balotelli, all the team played well.
    "If not, it is impossible we would be here at this moment."

Uploads

Nani: Happy to stay at Old Trafford

NANI EYES NEW MAN UNITED DEAL

Manchester United winger Nani has confirmed that he is in talks over a new long-term deal and he cannot see any reason to leave Old Trafford.
    The 25-year-old has two years left on his current deal, but he is more than happy to commit to the club for the rest of his career.
    Nani has previously been linked with moves away from the club, with interest in Italy and Spain, but he says he has no intention of looking elsewhere.

"The manager has immense faith in me and that's all that matters," he said.
    "My agent is negotiating with the club on a new deal and things are going very well.
    "I hope at the end of the season an agreement will be reached. Manchester United is my home.
    "I left Portugal for a great personal challenge and to improve as a player.
    "There have been times when it's not been easy but they treat me well here and, step by step, I am fulfilling my dreams."
    Nani insists that he loves working under Sir Alex Ferguson.

"He is a great coach. For me, the best in the world. But I have trembled in his presence when he hasn't been happy," he said.
    "I remember some games when we had won by two or three goals and he still wasn't happy.
    "It seemed like we had lost. He's not someone you want to argue with."

Uploads

Roberto Martinez: Praised by his chairman

WHELAN: ROBERTO MARTINEZ CAN LEAVE

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan will not stand in Roberto Martinez's way if the manager is offered a bigger job this summer.
    Saturday's stunning 4-0 win over Newcastle has Wigan on course to pull off another great escape from relegation trouble, and Whelan believes recent performances will have big clubs from around Europe eyeing up his Spanish boss.
    And while he is not keen to see the 38-year-old leave, Whelan said he would accept Martinez's departure when it comes.
    "He's doing a magnificent job," Whelan told Radio Five Live's Sportsweek. "I've always said Roberto will go to one of the top clubs in Europe and when that time comes he will leave Wigan with my blessing.

"He's just a brilliant manager and he will get one of the top jobs in Europe.
    "I don't want to lose Roberto but it is inevitable he will climb the ladder."
    At one stage this season, Wigan lost eight matches in a row, and seemed near certainties for the drop.
    But Saturday's win put them three points clear of the drop zone going into their final two matches against fellow strugglers Blackburn and already-relegated Wolves.
    Whelan insisted that even during the toughest times this season, he never had any doubts that Martinez was the right man to save them, and that the fans were on board too.
    "(Managers) need support too," he said. "He got support from the chairman and he got support from the fans too. We've not had one fan crying for his dismissal and every fan in Wigan has been behind Roberto.
    "Hopefully now we can stay in the Premier League for another season."

Uploads

Luka Modric: Future uncertain

REDKNAPP NOT SURE MODRIC WILL STAY

Harry Redknapp has made a stunning admission that Luka Modric may quit Tottenham this summer.
    Tottenham fought a ferocious battle with Chelsea to keep hold of Modric last summer, with the Blues launching up to three bids for the playmaker - the biggest one thought to be 40million.
    The north London club managed to hold on to their star midfielder and he has rewarded them with a series of fine performances that have left Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini purring.
    Speculation about Modric's future, and that of Gareth Bale, will only intensify if Tottenham's downward spiral continues and the club fail to qualify for next season's Champions League.

Redknapp is confident Bale will stay at White Hart Lane this summer despite Barcelona's overtures, but he is less certain about the commitment of Modric, who is yet to pen a new deal despite being promised one last summer.
    "Last summer it was vital that we kept hold of Luka," Redknapp said.
    "I don't think we will have to do it with people like Gareth Bale this summer.
    "Luka, it's different with him. I don't know what he would do.
    "I would be lying if I said I was sure that he would stay. You don't know.
    "But certainly I wouldn't see Gareth Bale wanting to leave here.

"At the moment he is happy here, a big fish here. He is still learning the game, a young boy, and this is where he needs to be.
    "You would like to think Luka would still be here, but you never know."
    Tottenham dropped out of the top four last week after suffering yet another defeat at the hands of struggling QPR.
    Redknapp is confident his team can win all four of their remaining games and leapfrog Newcastle back into fourth, but that still may not be enough to earn a place in the Champions League.

UEFA rules state a maximum of four teams from one country can qualify for the Champions League and, as a result, the team who finish fourth in the table will not qualify for Europe's top club competition if Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in next month's final in Germany.
    Having seen his side battle hard for most of the season, Redknapp feels it would be unfair if Spurs were denied a place in the Champions League if they finished fourth.

"I think that (the rule) is unfair," he said.
    "You look at the teams that some other countries have in it and we have a team in this country that might finish fourth and are in the final. That shows you the strength of our league.
    "I think the rule should be whoever finishes in the top four should get a Champions League place.
    "I don't see any reason why there can't be five English teams in it.
    "I don't know whether they will change it, though. You know what it's like with people changing rules."

Uploads

Steven Pienaar: Has impressed back at Everton

MOYES: STILL NO PIENAAR TALKS

Everton manager David Moyes has reiterated that any discussions regarding Steven Pienaar's future at Goodison must wait until the end of the season.
    The South African midfielder returned to Goodison Park for a second spell in January after being frozen out of the first-team picture at Tottenham.
    A loan deal which will run through to the end of the season was put in place, allowing Pienaar to get some regular football under his belt.
    He has impressed since returning to Merseyside and has been a key figure for the Toffees during their recent run of fine form.

Moyes has been quick to praise Pienaar's impact and has hinted that he would like to make his stay permanent. But he is reluctant to discuss the ins and outs of a possible transfer until the season has come to a close.
    Speaking after Everton's 4-0 victory over Fulham, Moyes said: "You're probably going to ask me at every press conference and I'm going to give the same answer that I genuinely don't think anything will be even talked about until after the end of the season."

Uploads

Roy Hodgson: Can hold talks with FA

ROY HODGSON SET FOR ENGLAND TALKS

Roy Hodgson has been approached about the England manager's job, the Football Association have confirmed.
    West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace has granted permission for the FA to hold talks with their 64-year-old manager, and Hodgson has already had a conversation with FA chairman David Bernstein.
    No approach has been made to Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp, who had been viewed as the favourite to succeed Fabio Capello.
    Bernstein said: "I'm grateful to Jeremy and all at West Bromwich Albion for their co-operation in allowing us to approach Roy, who I have since spoken with.
    "Roy is the only manager we have approached and we remain on course to make an appointment within the timescale we set-out soon after Fabio Capello's departure.
    "Further conversations will now take place with Roy and my Club England colleagues before any further announcements can be made."