Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 30-04-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 30-04-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 30-04-2012

Van Persie: Expected to stay with Arsenal

BENAYOUN: VAN PERSIE WILL STAY

Yossi Benayoun expects Robin van Persie to stay at Arsenal "for a long time".
    The Dutch striker's 35 goals this season are sure to make him one of the most coveted players in this summer's transfer window, and he has already been linked with the likes of Manchester City, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus.
    Van Persie only has a year left on his contract with the Gunners and has delayed talks over a new deal until the end of the campaign.
    Having endured protracted speculation over the futures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri over the last couple of years, and then seen them leave the club, Arsenal will be determined to avoid the same scenario with Van Persie.

Midfielder Benayoun said: "I think everyone knows it's important (that he stays).
    "Each club wants to keep their best player and of course Robin is our best player and he's proved it this season.
    "I'm sure he will stay for a long time."

Benayoun joined Liverpool at the same time as Fernando Torres in the summer of 2007, and he believes the two strikers have a lot in common.
    "I've been lucky to play with some of the biggest strikers and Robin at the moment is one of the best in the world," said Benayoun.
    "When Fernando was on fire at Liverpool and scoring a lot of goals, for me they are on the same level.
    "With Fernando you knew every game for Liverpool he could score, especially with a player like Steven (Gerrard) behind him.
    "With Robin we know we must give him the right balls and he will score, and that's what he's done all season."

Van Persie made it 35 goals for the season with the equaliser in Arsenal's 1-1 draw at Stoke, which came in the same week he was named the PFA and Football Writers' Association Player of the Year.
    Benayoun added: "I think he was above any other player in the Premier League. He's scored lots of goals, created a lot of goals, he has been the main man this season."
    Benayoun was back in the side after missing the goalless draw with his parent club Chelsea last weekend under the terms of his loan agreement.
    The 31-year-old has only two games left of his season-long deal, and he insisted he does not yet know where his future lies.
    "I have two more games to give 100% for Arsenal and we'll see what will happen," said the Israeli.
    "When I had the chance to come to Arsenal, one of the main things was the football, moving the ball quickly, and that's what I enjoy most."
    Benayoun has been in and out of the team this season, scoring four goals in 26 appearances, but he looked a threat down the left and it was his good work that created the opening for Arsenal's goal.
    The point, coupled with Newcastle's thrashing at Wigan, gave the Gunners a bit of breathing space in third place in the Barclays Premier League table, keeping them on track for a Champions League spot.
    Benayoun said: "I think it's not a bad result because we know how difficult it can be to play against Stoke.
    "Of course we wanted to win but the point is a good point, especially after Newcastle lost. Now if we win the last two games we will be in third place, so it's important."
    However, Benayoun felt Arsenal should have been given the chance to win the game from the spot after he went down in the second half under pressure from Glenn Whelan.
    "It was 100% a penalty," said the midfielder. "I don't need to see a replay. I was pushed in the back.
    "But the referee said he didn't see it so you can't do anything."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 30-04-2012

Clint Dempsey: Has been linked with Everton

McKINLAY: WE MUST KEEP DEMPSEY

Fulham coach Billy McKinlay believes it is "vital" that the club hang on to Clint Dempsey and agree a new contract with the United States international.
    Dempsey has scored 22 goals in all competitions for the Cottagers this season and came fourth in the voting for the PFA Footballer of the Year award.
    However, he has just 12 months remaining on his contract at Craven Cottage and recently confirmed he does not intend to make a decision on his future until the summer.

He has been linked with a switch to Everton at the end of the season and was unable to make an impact at Goodison Park on Saturday as Fulham were beaten 4-0.
    The 29-year-old has been with Fulham since 2007 and McKinlay has outlined the importance of the attacker staying with the club.
    "I think it is vital to keep Clint," said McKinlay, who filled in for ill manager Martin Jol against Everton.
    "He has been outstanding this season and I am sure the club will be doing everything in its power to keep him. He has been a vital player for us and, hopefully, we shall get that one tidied up."

Uploads

Gylfi Sigurdsson: Happy in the Premier League

PREM STAY APPEALS TO SIGURDSSON

On-loan Swansea midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson has confirmed he wants to stay in the Premier League next season rather than return to Hoffenheim.
    Sigurdsson has scored seven goals in 16 league appearances for Swansea since his January move after enduring a frustrating first half of the season at Hoffenheim.
    Swans boss Brendan Rodgers has confirmed he would like to keep the 22-year-old, although his performances have reportedly attracted interest from Arsenal and Manchester United.

Hoffenheim have also previously suggested they want Sigurdsson back at the club next season, with the Iceland international having two years still to run on his contract.
    However, following Swansea's 4-4 draw at home with relegated Wolves on Saturday, the former Reading youngster has outlined his intentions for next term.
    "I'm not worried about my future, I'm just focused on the next game and the next game is a good one," said Sigurdsson, with Swansea heading to Manchester United on Sunday.

"My thoughts haven't changed. I've told them (Hoffenheim) what I want to do next season and that's play in the Premier League and hopefully things can get sorted in the summer.
    "I don't know what will happen. We'll have to wait and see. I'm really happy here, but not with the result on Saturday.
    "I'm playing every game and have scored a few goals as well so I'm very happy."

Uploads

Ian Black: Moving on in the summer

BLACK WANTS TO FINISH WITH A FLOURISH

Ian Black has vowed to end his Hearts career on a high after being told his contract will not be extended.
    On Sunday night Hearts announced they would not be taking up their option to retain the midfielder, whose three-year contract expires in the summer.

Black follows David Obua in being told he is being released as the club look to cut their wage bill after being late with monthly payments to players on several occasions this season.
    Obua has rarely featured recently and has endured numerous injuries but Black has been a regular starter, although his disciplinary record has often overshadowed his talent.

Black, who has been booked 13 times this season and sent off twice, told Hearts News: "I understand the club's position and while it is unfortunate they will not be extending my contract due to the fact they plan to operate with a smaller squad next season, I hope I can go on and further my career.
    "Coming to Tynecastle was a good move for me and it was a dream to sign for the club I have supported since childhood.
    "I have enjoyed my time here and believe I have been good for the club.
    "The fans have always been brilliant to me and I'd like to say a special thank-you to them for their support over the years."
    The former Inverness player will concentrate on Hearts' bid to guarantee a Europa League spot by finishing in the top five in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League, before ending his Tynecastle career in the William Hill Scottish Cup final against Hibernian.

The 27-year-old said: "There are some massive games for me to focus on between now and the end of the season and that is my priority.
    "I will be giving 100% over the next few weeks to try to ensure we finish this campaign as successfully as we possibly can."
    Hearts also revealed academy players Matthew Park, Chris Tobin, Ryan Stewart, Colin Hamilton and Aaron Murdoch will be leaving.

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Eyeing Man City stay

CARLOS TEVEZ WANTS MAN CITY STAY

Carlos Tevez has declared his intention to remain at Manchester City.
    Tevez looked destined for the Blues' exit door in January after effectively going on strike following his apparent refusal to warm-up prior to a Champions League tie in Munich last September.

However, the Argentina star returned to City when a hoped-for-move to AC Milan failed to materialise.
    Tevez has subsequently triggered a revival if City's title challenge, scoring against West Brom before grabbing a hat-trick in the six-goal hammering of Norwich.

He is expected to start Monday night's crucial Manchester derby at the Etihad Stadium, and he wants to be around a lot longer.
    "This club has been building something special for the last few years," he told the Manchester Evening News.
    "It was the project and the dream that made me come to City in the first place. I've been here since the start of that project and I share the same vision as Sheikh Mansour.

"He has always been brilliant with me and I want to repay his faith and stay here as long as it takes to make the project a success.
    "I am an ambitious person. I want to work hard and win things with City. That's all that matters to me, as a player and a person."

Uploads

Lukas Podolski: Moving to Arsenal

COLOGNE CONFIRM PODOLSKI TO ARSENAL

Germany striker Lukas Podolski will join Arsenal for the start of next season, his current club Cologne have confirmed.
    The 26-year-old, who has 95 caps for the national team, will move to the Emirates for an undisclosed fee after both clubs and the player reached agreement over the deal.
    Podolski told www.fc-koeln.de: "The move to Arsenal provides a great opportunity for me to gain experience in international competitions at a top European club."
    Podolski, who started his career at Cologne before rejoining them in 2009 after an unhappy three-year spell at Bayern Munich, added on the club's official website: "I have made this decision not against Cologne but for this great opportunity and the good of my own individual development.
    "This was not an easy decision for me at all, as Cologne, our fans and the city are something special for me. I will always carry Cologne in my heart. We need to pool our strengths now and have to be fully focused on our survival in the Bundesliga."
    The Poland-born forward, who had one year left on his contract with the Bundesliga strugglers, has scored 18 league goals for a side battling relegation so far this term, his best ever top-flight return.

Cologne chairman Claus Horstmann admitted the club were sad to see such a popular and influential figure at the club go.
    He said: "Lukas Podolski is a player of world class standing with a special relation to FC Cologne's fans and to the city.
    "We are proud of the development Lukas Podolski has taken at Cologne within the last years.
    "From his early days at our youth squads, via his first competitive match for our professional team, through to a highly renowned Germany international
    "That's why we deeply regret his step, which is not a decision against Cologne but for the good of his own career.
    "Cologne were prepared to extend Lukas Podolski's contract on the basis of a competitive offer. Nonetheless, this early transfer decision offers scope and planning security for the next season.

"We will jump at this opportunity to reinvest these transfer earnings back into our team's quality and into the promotion of our youth squads.
    "Lukas has helped the club in many difficult situations, Lukas has left a mark on Cologne's reputation and we feel the need to thank him for numerous great football experiences at Cologne."
    Podolski, who will link up with international team-mate Per Mertesacker in north London, played for Germany at the 2006 and 2010 World Cups and is set to be part of their squad at Euro 2012.
    He has a fantastic goalscoring record at international level with 43 goals in his 95 appearances - joint sixth in their all-time list - despite often playing in a left-sided role.

Things did not go so well at Bayern, though, as he managed just 15 league goals in his three seasons in Bavaria before going back to Cologne for a reported 10 million euros in an innovatively-funded transfer.
    Cologne set up a page on their website where fans could buy pixels in an image of Podolski with the money going toward the cost of the fee.
    Before heading to Arsenal, Podolski will look to save Cologne from the drop.
    The club are third bottom of the table with one game to go and are likely to face a relegation play-off.

Lukas Podolski factfile
    1985: Born June 4, Poland. Father was a former-professional footballer in Poland and mother was a member of the Polish national handball team.
    1987: Family emigrates to West Germany.
    1991: Starts playing football, aged six, for FC Bergheim youth team.
    1995: Joins FC Cologne.
    2003: November - Breaks into the Cologne first team, scoring 10 in his first 19 appearances. Despite wanting to represent Poland, national coach Pawel Janas rejects calls to pick him.
    2004: June - Decides to represent Germany, making his debut against Hungary.
    Becomes the youngest player called up for Germany's Euro 2004 campaign and appears as a substitute versus the Czech Republic.
    2005: Leads Cologne to Bundesliga promotion by scoring 24 goals.
    2006: May - Single-handed attempts to keep Cologne in the division prove futile as they are relegated.
    June 1 - Moves to Bayern Munich for around €10 million.
    July - Wins Best Young Player at the 2006 World Cup, scoring three goals as Germany finish third.
    October 14 - Scores first goal for Bayern in a 4-2 win over Hertha Berlin.
    September 6 - Scores four as Germany thrash San Marino 13-0.
    2008: April 14 - Marries long-term partner Monika Puchalski following the birth of their first child.
    May 4 - Bayern Munich secure the Bundesliga title with a 0-0 draw with Wolfsburg.
    June - Refuses to celebrate after scoring a brace against Poland at Euro 2008. Germany go on to finish runners up to Spain.
    2009: July 1 - Returns to Cologne after falling down pecking order at Bayern.
    2010: June 18 - Becomes only the second German to miss a penalty in normal time against Serbia at the 2010 World Cup. Germany finish third for the second World Cup running.
    2012: April 30 - Cologne confirm he would join Arsenal at the end of the season for an undisclosed fee.

Uploads

Asamoah Gyan: Has scored 22 goals in UAE

AL AIN SEEK PERMANENT GYAN DEAL

Asamoah Gyan's permanent departure from Sunderland looks more likely after Al Ain chief executive Carlo Nohra claimed he was "very confident" of signing the striker on a new deal.
    Gyan has helped the United Arab Emirates club to the Pro League title after joining on loan from the Black Cats for a fee of 6million in September last year.
    The Ghana striker has been a key part of that success after netting 22 goals in all competitions and is reportedly keen to remain in the Middle East.
    Nohra claimed in March that the club had first option to buy Gyan outright and despite outside interest believes a deal will be struck with Sunderland this summer.
    "I'm very confident that he will be staying," Nohra told Sport360. "He has indicated on a number of occasions that he would like to remain at the club.

"There is a loan agreement that we need to work out with Sunderland, but what is really important is that the player wants to be here and we would like to keep him. So now it's about working out the logistics of a transfer.
    "That doesn't mean it's going to happen, but the seeds are there for us to ensure that this becomes a long-term deal."
    After paying the initial 6million to acquire Gyan's services for the season, reports have suggested Al-Ain can pay a further 3million to complete a permanent deal.

The 26-year-old will have two years of the contract he signed when he joined the Black Cats from Rennes during the summer of 2010 remaining at the end the current season, and his future could have a major bearing on manager Martin O'Neill's transfer plans.
    Gyan arrived on Wearside on the back of a series of impressive displays for his country at the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa as then manager Steve Bruce invested a club record 13.1million on him.
    It took Gyan time to get used to the Barclays Premier League, but he announced his arrival in earnest with his first goal for the club at Wigan on September 11.

He managed 11 goals last season as he, Darren Bent and Danny Welbeck vied for places in the starting line-up before Bent's January departure for Aston Villa, and also scored for Ghana in a friendly against England.
    Gyan was linked with a summer move to Tottenham as Bruce renewed his interest in former target Peter Crouch and despite the manager's repeated insistence that the African was going nowhere, the noises coming out of the player's camp were not encouraging.
    It nevertheless came as something of a shock when, hours before the club's home clash with Chelsea on September 10, they announced that Gyan had joined Al Ain on loan.

Uploads

Jay Rodriguez: Wanted man

PREM EYES ON JAY RODRIGUEZ

Jay Rodriguez has attracted interest from a host of Premier League clubs after an impressive season for Burnley.
    The England Under-21 striker, who has netted 21 goals this campaign, has been linked with moves to Fulham, Newcastle, Bolton, Norwich and newly-promoted Southampton.

And former Burnley player Ade Akinbiyi, Rodriguez's mentor at Turf Moor, admits the 22-year-old is unlikely to stay with the Clarets.
    "It doesn't look like Burnley will be able to keep hold of him," Akinbiyi said.
    "A lot of clubs are interested and you can understand why. Jay is a decent player and can play at the top level.
    "He has a year left to go on his contract but I'm sure they will look at all the different offers and see where it goes from then."

Uploads

Harry Kane: Has impressed at Millwall

MILLWALL KEEN ON KANE RETURN

Millwall will attempt to bring Tottenham hot-shot Harry Kane back to The Den next season.
    Kane has made a huge impression since arriving in south London in January and scored the ninth goal of his loan spell in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Blackpool.

The 18-year-old's strike partnership with Andy Keogh played a major role in guiding the Lions clear of the relegation battle and boss Kenny Jackett will ask Spurs about his availability next term.
    "We'll put in the right calls to see if we can get Harry on loan again," Jackett.

Uploads

Steven Reid: New deal

STEVEN REID PENS NEW BAGGIES DEAL

West Brom defender Steven Reid has signed a new two-year contract which will keep him at the Hawthorns until the summer of 2014, the club have confirmed.
    Reid's current deal was due to run out this summer although the club could have exercised a 12-month option which was in their favour.
    But the new deal is a reward for the form Reid displayed before recently undergoing ankle surgery which has sidelined him for the remainder of the campaign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast