Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-05-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 01-05-2012

Roy Hodgson arrives at Wembley for talks

Roy Hodgson is expected to be confirmed as England manager today after spending four hours at Wembley engaged in "positive" discussions with the Football Association.
    Hodgson arrived at just before 1500 BST yesterday for a meeting with FA chairman David Bernstein, chief executive Alex Horne, director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking and Club England managing director Adrian Bevington that was described as friendly, although there was no official comment.

It is conceivable that talks may have continued well into the evening.
    However, with the FA mindful that the eyes of the football world were on events at the Etihad Stadium, they have instead opted to update further at some point today, with the update seemingly certain to be that Hodgson has got the job.
    Certainly, FA insiders were at pains to stress Hodgson was attending a "meeting" rather than an interview, offering further proof that he remains the only man on their radar.

It is anticipated Hodgson will complete the Premier League season with West Brom before taking charge for England's two Euro 2012 warm-up games against Norway in Oslo on May 26 and Belgium, for his first game at Wembley, seven days later.
    Then it is on to Poland and Ukraine, where World Cup legend Sir Geoff Hurst believes England are capable of reaching the semi-finals.
    There is still a sense of disbelief that Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has been overlooked.
    Hurst is among those who felt Redknapp was the ideal candidate.
    However, he does not believe Hodgson's likely appointment will have a negative impact on the overall aims this summer.
    "Whether we had a manager or not, I still think we are capable of getting at least to the semi-finals," said Hurst.
    "I don't see any reason why we can't get to that level and if we can, you never know what could happen.
    "Roy has not been involved in the preparations to date and that's not ideal.

"When you have a manager in place quite a while before, the preparation is going to be very natural, as it was with us in 1966.
    "But, in some respects, I see that as a positive.
    "It might take the pressure off, certainly from the media and the fans, to be successful this year.
    "That could be a good thing because expectation is huge on the manager and the players."
    It is a sentiment echoed by England fans' spokesman Mark Perryman, although he does not believe the Three Lions have any chance of reaching the last four, as Hurst has predicted.
    That does not mean Perryman is against a Hodgson appointment.
    Indeed, he thinks it is a good thing because the legend that has grown around Redknapp, including comparisons with the late Brian Clough, have irritated him somewhat.

"It is a ridiculous comparison," said Perryman.
    "Harry Redknapp has been a manager for 30 years and won one FA Cup.
    "Brian Clough won two European Cups and lots of other trophies besides.
    "To link the two doesn't stand up at all. Clough was the greatest manager never to manage England. Harry is the populist choice, but so was Kevin Keegan and what an unmitigated disaster that turned out to be."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-05-2012

Ashworth is planning for life after Hodgson

Sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth has revealed that West Brom have contingency plans in place should they need to find a replacement for head coach Roy Hodgson.
    Ashworth claimed the club were prepared for the departure of any key staff member as part of an already-existing policy to ensure they are not plunged into a crisis by the departure of any individual.
    Hodgson is expected to be named as England's new head coach after holding "positive" talks with the Football Association.
    "Where we are strong as a club is in terms of our long-term planning," Ashworth said.
    "After Roberto Di Matteo joined us as manager, I said we were looking at other managers and studying them so, in the event of him leaving, we would have a number of candidates in mind.

"I took a lot of stick for that with people saying it undermined the head coach. Well he was so undermined that he got us promoted.
    "Looking at what might happen next is not disrespecting or undermining anyone. We were simply looking at who might be a good fit here should a change be needed.
    "You don't want a decision to suddenly drop out of the sky and you sit there twiddling your thumbs thinking 'what do I do now'.
    "You need to have some form of succession planning and that's the same with coaches, scouts, doctors, sporting and technical directors etc."
    Birmingham boss Chris Hughton is believed to be high on the Baggies' list of potential targets should Hodgson link up with England, it is understood.
    Hughton came close to replacing Di Matteo at the Hawthorns 15 months ago after being sacked by Newcastle and was interviewed for the post before Hodgson was chosen.

But he has further enhanced his reputation since taking charge of Birmingham last summer.
    Despite losing most of last season's relegated squad, and financial restraints, Hughton has guided Blues into the npower Championship play-offs.
    Compensation would be an issue and Birmingham will be keen to hold onto Hughton after Alex McLeish quit last summer to join Aston Villa.
    It is understood Hughton wanted to bring in his his own backroom team while the Baggies hierarchy preferred him to work with coach Michael Appleton - now Portsmouth manager - and goalkeeping coach Dean Kiely.
    But West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace was impressed with Hughton when interviews were conducted.
    It is believed Appleton and current Bristol City boss and former Albion skipper boss Derek McInnes will be discussed although the pair have only limited managerial experience.
    Alan Curbishley - who rejected the chance to take the Wolves job in February - former Birmingham boss Steve Bruce, Malky Mackay (Cardiff) and Chris Powell (Charlton) are also potential candidates.

Sasa Papac: Out of contract in the summer

Long-serving full-back Sasa Papac may have played his last game for Rangers after revealing he will require surgery on a groin injury.
    The 32-year-old defender has been on the books at Ibrox since 2006, but will see his current contract expire in the summer.
    With financial uncertainty having taking hold at Rangers, he will not be penning a new deal. That means he may miss out on the opportunity to bid farewell to the Gers supporters on the field.

Papac will explore all possible options before going under the knife, but concedes an operation will have to be carried out at some stage in the near future.
    "I need an operation," he told the Daily Record.

"The club doctor has recommended it but I'm trying to see if there is any way I can keep going without having it."
    Papac is reported to have attracted interest from England ahead of the transfer window and admits he will weigh up his options over the summer.
    He will be leaving Ibrox with a heavy heart, with it difficult to walk away from the club in their hour of need.

The Bosnian added: "My team is in its greatest crisis in its history. Every day some new piece of bad news comes out that puts a strain on everyone at the club. As a player and as a fan of Rangers I hope this crisis is overcome soon.
    "I have a contract until May 31. It has been a difficult season and I will go home to Bosnia and decide my future this summer."

Jonny Hayes: Interests Aberdeen

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown has confirmed he plans to speak to Inverness winger Jonny Hayes and also wants Jamie Langfield to make a decision on a new contract.
    Hayes is out of contract at the end of the season at Inverness and has also been linked with a move to SPL rivals Hibernian and St Johnstone.
    Brown has informed his Thistle counterpart Terry Butcher of his interest in Hayes as he steps up his plans to strengthen his Dons squad in the summer.
    "I have told Terry Butcher I plan to speak to Hayes," said Brown in the Daily Record. "I didn't have to do that but believe it is only good manners.
    "We will be speaking to other targets as well. I will do that because it is vital that the manager is the first to make contact.

"We need to know what the expectations of players are as far as contracts go. They will then be given a few days to think things over."
    Goalkeeper Langfield, who has recovered from a blood clot on the brain, has been asked to decide on whether he wants to stay at Pittodrie by Tuesday.
    Brown added: "We need Jamie to inform us of his plans. If he is leaving we need as much time as possible to find a replacement."

Nigel Hasselbaink: In talks over new deal

St Mirren manager Danny Lennon is hoping the club can agree new contracts to keep Dutch duo Nigel Hasselbaink and Jeroen Tesselaar.
    Striker Hasselbaink has scored six goals in 31 SPL appearances for St Mirren since joining on a one-year contract from Hamilton last summer.
    Full-back Tesselaar also arrived at the club on a 12-month deal and Lennon is optimistic that both players will be staying at St Mirren next season.

"Nigel's agent is in the country at the moment and we'll have talks with him," said Lennon in the Daily Record.
    "Everyone sees the ability that Nigel has, he's shown that at the beginning of the season and certainly in the latter part of the season.
    "Nigel's exciting to watch, he's got a burst of pace but there's still a lot of development in him.
    "We're close with Jeroen and we've had a few rounds of talks with him. It would be good to get Nigel and Jeroen tied up."

Marko Marin: Joining Chelsea

Chelsea new-boy Marko Marin believes the London club is "the perfect fit" for him and hopes the man who recruited him, Roberto Di Matteo, is still the man in charge when he arrives.
    The 23-year-old Germany international has agreed to move to the Champions League finalists this summer from Werder Bremen, although there remains uncertainty over who his boss will be, with Di Matteo currently working as manager on an interim basis until the end of the season.
    Marin told German football magazine Kicker: "It fits perfectly for me, otherwise I would not have sought this move. Above all, Chelsea's play is based a lot on wide men.

"I had good talks with Di Matteo and I hope he stays."
    Marin discussed moving to Chelsea with Bremen team-mate Claudio Pizarro, but does not believe the Peruvian's failure to fully adapt to the Premier League should have any bearing on how he fares at Stamford Bridge.
    "I have done my research (by speaking to Pizarro) but I'm not afraid, it's the perfect step for me," he added.
    Marin made his Germany debut in 2008 and was part of their 2010 World Cup squad. However, he has spent much of this season on the sidelines due to injury and is not assured of a place in Joachim Low's squad for Euro 2012.

Alex McLeish: Players still behind him

Shay Given insists under-fire Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish still retains the support of the dressing room.
    And the Republic of Ireland goalkeeper insists it is up to everyone to take responsibility for the club's current plight.
    Given told BBC Radio Five Live: "Every manager in the Premier League's job is on the line but obviously we're under a bit of pressure and Alex is under a bit of pressure.

"But we have got to take responsibility ourselves, players and staff alike.
    "Does McLeish still have dressing room support? Yes of course he does, he's a fantastic manager and we're all right behind him but we'd obviously like results to be better this season."

Dirk Kuyt: Linked with Liverpool exit

Hamburg coach Thorsten Fink has described Liverpool's Dutch forward Dirk Kuyt as a "class" player.
    Kuyt, 31, has a year to go on his current deal at Anfield but there is speculation he could leave the club in the summer after six years in England.
    Fink, who has steered Hamburg to Bundesliga safety after the club endured a dreadful start to the season, is a big admirer of the former Feyenoord man.

He told "He has class, and he is also a fighter. There is nothing more that needs to be said about the quality of this player. Whether this is something we feel we want to commit to, we will see."
    Fink's comments follow similar sentiments from the club's technical director Frank Arnesen a couple of weeks ago.
    "A player like Kuyt, who is still in good shape, can add something to any team," the Dane told Bild. "He is a real team player with an excellent attitude."

Tomasz Kuszczak: Wants regular football

Tomasz Kuszczak is ready to sever ties with Manchester United in the summer.
    The Poland international goalkeeper has found himself largely on back-up duties at Old Trafford since linking up with the Red Devils in 2006.
    Kuszczak has grown increasingly frustrated at his lack of opportunities and saw out the 2011/12 Championship season on loan at Watford.
    At 30, he admits the time has now come for him to make a fresh start and he will drop into the free agent pool when his United contract expires.

"Last year I had a good chance to go back to my former club West Brom, where I enjoyed an excellent spell, or to Aston Villa," Kuszczak told Sky Sports.

"I have spent so much time on the bench in Manchester. I accepted it at first because I know how big a club they are, but it is not enough for me.
    "I have decided to move and be a first-choice keeper. I do not want to be a replacement any longer."
    Kuszczak would prefer to remain in English football, having spent the last eight years on these shores, but admits he also has options to explore in Germany.
    "My family like England as much as me," he said.
    "I think that I know the style of play and I have made my name here. But I have serious options in Germany to consider as well. My agent is working on a possible move to the Bundesliga."

Roy Hodgson: Appointed new England manager

The Football Association have confirmed Roy Hodgson as the new England manager.
    The 64-year-old has signed a four-year deal, taking him to the end of Euro 2016.
    Hodgson will remain in charge of West Brom for the final two games of the Premier League season, although he will be released for England duties as required.
    There has already been much speculation as to why bookies' favourite Harry Redknapp was not approached, but Hodgson has called for supporters to back the national side.
    The Tottenham boss was widely perceived to be the popular choice for the position, but the Football Association have confirmed Hodgson was their first and only choice.
    "It is a very proud day for me, I'm a very happy man to be offered the chance to manage my country," he said.
    "I'm looking forward to the task ahead. Everyone knows it is not an easy one but I'm hoping that everyone, fans and supporters will get behind the team.
    "It's the team that counts, they go out and win football matches.
    "What I'll do is try to make sure the team is well prepared for the challenge ahead.
    "I'm really looking forward to it."
    Hodgson acknowledged he did not have much time to settle into the job before Euro 2012 but said: "It's going to be difficult of course but hopefully I've got time. Obviously I've been working here for the last five years so the players are pretty well known to me even though I haven't worked with them all.
    "I've done as much research and spoken to as many people as I can."

Hodgson preferred not to answer questions about picking John Terry and Rio Ferdinand in his squad, or the possibility of selecting Steven Gerrard as captain, but was forthcoming about the prospect of Wayne Rooney going to Ukraine and Poland.
    Rooney is suspended for England's opening two games, but Hodgson appeared to put to bed any debate about whether the Manchester United striker would be part of the final squad or not.
    "I'm looking forward to Wayne Rooney coming to the Euros with us and making a contribution even though he cannot play the first two games," he said.
    Asked about England's prospects at the Euros, Hodgson added: "England always have to go in tournaments to win them because we are a major football nation. I certainly think the players would be very disappointed if we expected anything less of them than to win the tournament."
    Hodgson also confirmed he is set to wait until after the end of the Barclays Premier League season on May 13 before naming his squad for the European Championships.
    He said: "It's going to be very important after this press conference to get straight down to the task, making certain that when the time comes to name the squad, which we are likely to put back as a matter of fact until after the last game of the season, that I've done as much research as I can and spoken to as many players as I can."

Hodgson also confronted his troubled spell at Liverpool head on.
    He was in charge at Anfield for just half a season before the fans got their wish to see Kenny Dalglish restored to the hot-seat.
    Some commentators have expressed concern over Hodgson's ability to deal with the level of scrutiny he endured on Merseyside, which is only likely to increase as soon as he takes the reins of the national side.
    "I'm prepared. The fact is I took it (pressure and criticism) at Liverpool and I'll take it here," he said.
    "But the Liverpool chapter is in the past and I'm concentrating on the future. There are lots of other chapters in my past I could concentrate on if I wanted to that would put a smile on my face.
    "(Former club) Inter, I would submit, wasn't exactly too easy when it comes to scrutiny and size of club.
    "The England manager's job is the pinnacle of success for every English manager and it certainly brings with it a lot of scrutiny and criticism and I have to be prepared for that."
    Redknapp has spoken magnanimously over the last couple of days about being overlooked for a job he has coveted for some time and Hodgson today returned the favour.

"I have great respect for Harry," he said. "He sent me a voicemail, which I will of course reply to.
    "He's been very gracious in everything he's done. I hope we remain friends, we have unwittingly become rivals."
    FA chairman David Bernstein was less forthcoming about the Spurs boss.
    "I'm not prepared to talk about other people or other candidates or other managers," he said when asked about Redknapp.
    "We are here to present the new manager, Roy Hodgson. It's a closed book as far as I'm concerned.
    "I'm not commenting or discounting him (Redknapp) or anyone else. It was not a two-man race. Other candidates were looked at very seriously, whose names I won't give out."
    Several prominent England internationals spoke out in support of Redknapp's claim in the aftermath of Capello's departure, in public and on Twitter, but Hodgson is not concerned about the prospect of winning their support.
    "Every coach has to win over players, it's part of your job," he said.

"It won't be the first time I'm meeting a group of players, many of whom I don't know, but given my CV and the work I've done over the years I don't have any problems with it.
    "My job is to make certain that players are united behind the cause. Our cause is a very big one: we're England, it interests a lot of people.
    "I'm expecting everyone in England to support their England football team and get behind the team and myself.
    "What we'll be trying to do is give England the type of successful football team we've been looking for since 1966."

Roy Hodgson Factfile:
    1947: Born on August 9 in Croydon.
    1965-75: Player with Crystal Palace, Gravesend and Northfleet, Maidstone and South African side Berea Park.
    1976: Starts managerial career with Halmstad in Sweden, winning two championships.
    1980: Joins Bristol City as assistant manager.
    1982: Appointed manager at Ashton Gate but dismissed within four months after poor run of results when club is taken over by new owners. Returns to Sweden, where he manages Orebro and then Malmo, who won five consecutive championships and two Swedish Cups under him.
    1990: Leaves Sweden for Switzerland, taking over at Neuchatel Xamax.
    1992: Becomes manager of Switzerland, whom he takes to the 1994 World Cup finals in the United States. Also in charge when they qualified for Euro 96.
    1995: Appointed manager of Inter Milan.
    1997: Agrees to become Blackburn manager in the summer. While still at Inter, his side lose to German club Schalke in the UEFA Cup final on penalties.
    1998: May: Takes Blackburn into European competition for the first time since 1995 but Rovers win only two of their final 11 Premier League matches to fail in chase for title.
    November: Sacked by Blackburn with the club bottom of the Premier League, having taken just nine points from 14 games.
    1999: Shortlisted for Austria job. Returns to Inter on April 27 as technical director until the end of the season.
    Joins Swiss side Grasshopper.2000: Appointed coach of Danish side FC Copenhagen. Linked with England job after resignation of Kevin Keegan.
    2001: May - Takes Copenhagen to the Superliga title.
    August: Takes over as coach of Serie A club Udinese.
    December 10 - Udinese and Hodgson part company.
    2002: April - Appointed manager of the United Arab Emirates.
    2004: January - Sacked after leading side to fifth place at the Gulf Cup.
    May - Joins Norwegian side Viking FK.
    2005: August - Agrees to take over as boss of Finland national team.
    2007: November 30 - Quits after failing to secure qualification for Euro 2008.
    December 30 - Appointed Fulham manager.
    2008: Fulham win four of their last five Premier League games of the season to stave off relegation.
    2009: Guides the Cottagers to their highest ever top-flight finish, seventh, and ensures Europa League qualification.
    2010: March 18 - Oversees a stunning second-leg comeback against Juventus in the Europa League quarter-final as a 4-1 win takes Fulham into the quarter-finals 5-4 on aggregate.
    May 12 - Hodgson's side go down 2-1 to Atletico Madrid in extra-time in the Europa League final in Hamburg.
    July 1 - Announced as new manager of Liverpool on a three-year contract.
    September 23 - Dumped out of the League Cup on penalties at Anfield by League Two side Northampton.
    October 3 - Poor form continues with a 2-1 defeat to newly-promoted Blackpool - again at Anfield.
    October 15 - US company New England Sports Ventures, owner of the Boston Red Sox, complete their takeover of Liverpool.
    December 29 - Criticises Reds fans after another home defeat - this time 1-0 to Wolves.
    2011: January 8 - Liverpool announce Hodgson has left the club.
    February 11 - Takes over as West Brom coach after the Baggies part company with Roberto Di Matteo.
    May - Takes West Brom to 11th in the table after a strong end-of-season run.
    April 22 - Leads his side to a 1-0 win over Liverpool on his first return to Anfield.
    April 29 - West Brom grant the Football Association permission to speak to Hodgson about the vacant manager's position.
    May 1 - The FA confirm Hodgson as the new England manager on a four-year contract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast