Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 02-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 02-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 02-05-2012

John Guidetti: Man City yet to make a decision

FEYENOORD WAIT OVER GUIDETTI
    Feyenoord technical director Martin van Geel has held talks with Manchester City about keeping John Guidetti at De Kuip.
    Guidetti has been a revelation for Feyenoord this season since arriving on loan from City and has netted 20 goals for the Dutch side.
    Feyenoord are keen to keep Guidetti on loan for another season if he does not figure in City's plans next term, but Van Geel says the Premier League club have yet to make a decision on the Sweden international.
    "I can't say more than I have done," said Van Geel. "Of course we want to keep John at Feyenoord for longer, but they haven't made a decision about his future yet."

Van Geel also met City officials this week to discuss other players possibly moving to Holland next season and he took in the reserves' clash with Belgian side KV Mechelen.
    Italian forward Luca Scapuzzi scored twice in the game, but Van Geel has ruled out a move for the player.
    "I have seen some quite interesting players," added Van Geel. "I didn't watch the game especially for him [Scapuzzi]. He is not on our list and won't play in De Kuip next season."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 02-05-2012

Roy Hodgson: New England boss

HODGSON EYES EURO QUARTER-FINALS

New England boss Roy Hodgson has set his team the minimum target of reaching the Euro 2012 quarter-finals this summer.
    Hodgson was confirmed as Fabio Capello's successor on Tuesday, signing a four-year contract that will take him to the European Championship in France.
    But events in Poland and Ukraine this summer are uppermost in his mind at present.
    And despite the obvious drawback of having no chance to assess potential squad members in any depth until he selects his 23-man travelling party after the Premier League season ends, a week after Stuart Pearce suggested last week, Hodgson is not going to use it as an excuse to lower expectations too far.
    "The European Championships are tough, with 16 teams who are among the best in the world, not only Europe, and our group is one of the hardest," he said.
    "But I'd be bitterly disappointed if we didn't get out the group.

"One is tempted to say, because it's England, that success is only reaching the latter stages, or even the only success is winning.
    "But I'd like people to cut us a bit of slack because the resignation of Fabio Capello has made the situation somewhat different."
    Hodgson was only offered the job on Sunday afternoon and was understandably reluctant to get into specifics about the likely make-up of his squad.
    He did confirm that there would be no expanded squad taken to a planned training camp in Spain, something he found easier to deal with during his successful stint with Switzerland.
    However, the potential for injuries in those last-day fixtures mean he will spend little time thinking about exactly who he will require for pre-tournament friendlies against Norway and Belgium.
    Hodgson did admit he would speak to both John Terry and Rio Ferdinand at the earliest opportunity, in order to work out whether the obvious differences between the pair can be worked around.

"I'll get in touch with John and Rio to speak with them, hopefully face to face, and find out where they are in this situation," said Hodgson.
    "Until I have done that, it would be wrong of me to comment."
    One thing is for certain though. Terry will not be getting the captain's armband back after the decision to strip him of it led directly to Capello's exit.
    "It's a decision that's made by the executive board of the FA," said Hodgson.
    "I have no reason to comment on it or discuss it. But it's one I am fully prepared to accept."

Uploads

Nemanja Vidic: Juventus links have resurfaced

VIDIC AGENT RUBBISHES JUVENTUS LINK

Nemanja Vidic's agent has sought to distance his client from the latest round of rumours linking him with an imminent move to Juventus.
    Speculation suggesting the Manchester United skipper could soon be on his way to Italy refuses to go away, with Juve reported to have held an interest in his services for a number of years.
    No approach has been made, and United would be reluctant to part with a key figure in their camp, but each passing transfer window brings fresh gossip.
    Vidic's representative claims there is no truth in the current stories, with the Serbia international focused on his rehabilitation from a serious knee injury.

It is his intention to regain full fitness and return to the heart of Manchester United's back four in 2012/13.
    "Vidic is still out with a cruciate ligament injury," Silvano Martina told tuttomercatoweb.com.
    "A future in Italy? You have to consider that he has a non-EU passport and that would make it difficult for him to arrive in Serie A.
    "I can assure you that I have never spoken with Juventus about Nemanja."

Uploads

Sol Campbell: Former England international

SOL CAMPBELL CONFIRMS RETIREMENT
    Former Arsenal, Tottenham and England defender Sol Campbell has announced his retirement from football.
    Campbell, 37, was released by Newcastle at the end of last season and has not been able to secure a new deal with another club, partly due to injury.
    He told Sky Sports News: "It was a very hard decision. It's hard to let go when you have been a top sportsman for a long, long time.
    "To say that I am not going to play professional football again is difficult because I've had a long time at the top and I've put in a lot of work and it's taken a lot of dedication.
    "I had a couple of offers to carry on - one from a Premier League team, and another from a team who have just been promoted to the Premier League, but I had a foot injury and by the time I'd recovered from that people had already moved on."
    Campbell rose through the ranks at Tottenham before making a controversial move to bitter rivals Arsenal in 2001.

The transfer led to a deluge of criticism from Spurs fans, who labelled him "Judas" for moving across the famous north London divide, but the decision proved to be a wise one as he went on to enjoy a hugely successful five-year spell with the Gunners.
    The centre-half was part of the 2003-04 'Invincibles' team, and lifted three Barclays Premier League trophies and two FA Cups during his time at the club.
    The Londoner also scored Arsenal's only goal in their 2006 Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.
    The big centre-back won 73 caps for England and represented his country at six consecutive major international tournaments.
    After leaving Arsenal Campbell joined Portsmouth, where he won the FA Cup in 2008.

He returned to the Gunners for a brief second spell two years ago and also played for npower League Two side Notts County before his final playing stint at Newcastle, where he made just eight appearances in the 2010-11 season.

Uploads

Rasmus Elm: Heavily linked with Liverpool

AZ HOPE TO KEEP RASMUS ELM

AZ Alkmaar are hoping to persuade Rasmus Elm to sign a new contract, but will not allow the midfielder to leave the club for nothing.
    Elm has a further season to run on his contract with the Dutch club and talks have been taking place regarding an extension.
    However, the Sweden international has been attracting interest from across Europe, with Premier League rivals Liverpool and Manchester United reported to be watching the 24-year-old.
    Reports claim Liverpool will scout Elm during AZ's Eredivisie game against NEC Nijmegen on Wednesday as Kenny Dalglish considers ways to improve his squad in the summer.

Elm is rated in the 8million bracket, but AZ technical director Earnie Stewart has not given up on retaining the player beyond this season.
    "We cannot afford to lose Rasmus on a free transfer," Stewart told Voetbal International. "It goes without saying that we want to keep him happy and to stay here longer.
    "We are even talking to each other, but with the birth of his daughter these discussions were postponed.
    "Despite all the interest for Rasmus, I really hope he stays at AZ."

Uploads

Luuk de Jong: Interests Liverpool

AGENT: LIVERPOOL FACE DE JONG FIGHT

Luuk de Jong's agent claims Liverpool remain interested in the FC Twente striker, but face stiff competition to sign the Holland international.
    The 21-year-old has been in impressive goalscoring form for Twente this season and is expected to be included in the Dutch squad for Euro 2012.
    He is under contract at Twente until 2014, but has previously admitted a desire to play in the Premier League, with Everton and Newcastle United among the other clubs to have been linked in the past.

Liverpool have long been mooted as admirers of De Jong, while German side Borussia Monchengladbach are reportedly the latest club to be considering a summer approach.
    De Jong's future at Twente could hinge on whether the club qualify for Europe next season and his representative Luis Laros is waiting for developments.
    "Liverpool are following Luuk closely. But so are 15 other clubs," Laros told Voetbal International.
    "Three big clubs that have qualified for the Champions League preliminaries have told us that they are ready to open talks with Twente.
    "We will keep our eyes and ears open in the next few weeks. Luuk is feeling very well at Twente, but if the club fails to qualify for Europe, staying put is a less attractive option."

Uploads

Brynjar Gunnarsson: In talks over a new deal

READING RING THE CHANGES

Reading have offered new deals to Ian Harte and Brynjar Gunnarsson and released 13 others, including Brian Howard, Tomasz Cywka and Andy Griffin.
    Harte and Icelandic veteran Gunnarsson are both out of contract this summer, but Royals boss Brian McDermott is keen to keep hold of the pair.
    Youngsters Nick Arnold, Michael Hector, Charlie Lossaso, Jonathan Henly, Josh Webb, Dean Santangelo, Matt Partridge and Gozie Ugwu are also in talks about extending their contracts at the Madejski Stadium.
    Polish midfielder Cywka, former Barnsley man Howard and veteran defender Griffin lead the list of names departing the club with Cederic Baseya, Cameron Edwards, Ethan Gage, John Goddard, Simon Locke, Carl McHugh, Jack Mills, David Murphy, Frankie Raymond and Jacob Walcott all told to look for pastures new.

Reading director of football Nick Hammond paid tribute to all the departing players for the roles they have played at the club.
    "On behalf of everyone I wanted to thank every single player for their contribution to the club," Hammond told the club's official website.
    "There are so many examples, right from Andy Griffin, who was Brian's first signing, up to Tomasz Cywka who made an impact this season both on the pitch and with his personality around the group, but it is not just those two, everyone goes with our very best wishes and gratitude."
    Benik Afobe, Hayden Mullins and Matthew Connolloy have returned to Arsenal, Portsmouth and QPR following their respective loan spells at the club.

Uploads

Maik Taylor: Joins Millwall

MILLWALL SWOOP FOR MAIK TAYLOR

Millwall have signed goalkeeper Maik Taylor from Leeds on a one-year contract.
    Taylor will take up his new deal at the Den when his contract with Leeds expires at the end of the month.
    The former Birmingham stopper had already joined the Lions on-loan till the end of the season and played 10 games.

Leeds boss Neil Warnock said: "He's been a great pro over the years and he's got a chance to go to Millwall and do some coaching.
    "He's 40 years of age and I didn't feel I could restrict him from that career.
    "He'll be leaving here on a free transfer at the end of of the season anyway."