Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-05-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 03-05-2012

Delio Rossi attacks Adem Ljajic

Fiorentina sacked coach Delio Rossi after he physically attacked midfielder Adem Ljajic during Wednesday night's 2-2 draw with Novara.
    The attack came after the player's apparent dissent at being substituted just 32 minutes into the match.
    Fiorentina president Andrea Della Valle said in a statement released after the match and posted on the club's official website: "In a few seconds months of stress came out. I am sorry because the coach has never committed acts of this kind.
    "For his own good to make him understand he has made a mistake I had to take this decision. No provocation justifies this reaction."
    Della Valle confirmed Ljajic would also face action for his part in the incident.

But he said he would wait to announce who would take charge of the side for the rest of the season.
    "Also for respect of the person with whom I believed in to reconstruct Fiorentina I will say nothing official until Thursday," he added.
    "Then you will know who will be given the reins of the team.
    "We will also take proportionate measures against Ljajic.
    "Rossi has not justified it to me but he is someone who has never done anything like this. I am sorry also that in the 10th year of my reign and with what he has brought - we have won at Milan and Roma and I believed here we would have achieved safety, certainly not that I would have to take a decision like this."

The dramatic events unfolded as the Viola fought to confirm their the Serie A status.
    The point was enough to put them six points clear of the drop zone with two games remaining.
    Fiorentina are all but certain to be in the top flight next season, but it does not mask what has been a difficult campaign.
    And it seems the pressure got to Rossi, who replaced Sinisa Mihajlovic at the helm in November.
    Television pictures clearly show the coach attacking Ljajic as he took his place on the bench.
    The player appeared to sarcastically clap his coach's decision to substitute him, and Rossi responded by throwing punches as others on the bench attempted to restrain him.

Fiorentina were 2-0 down at the time, but battled back to claim an important point.
    And Della Valle wants to see more of that kind of spirit as they look to recover from the shock of Rossi's departure.
    "This team needs unity to get away from the relegation situation," he said. I know now that Delio Rossi is suffering more than anyone.
    "But I want to respect the work he has done until now."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-05-2012

Jan Vertonghen: Interested in move to England

Jan Vertonghen's agent has reiterated that the defender would love to play in the Premier League and says Tottenham have already made an approach.
    Vertonghen's performances for Ajax this season have seem him emerge as one of the most coveted players in European football, with a number of clubs keeping tabs on his progress.

He recently admitted that he had a 'dozen' options and has made no secret of his admiration for Arsenal, where Belgian compatriot Thomas Vermaelen is firmly established as a key man at centre-back.
    Newcastle, Manchester City and Liverpool have also been linked with a move for Vertonghen and the 25-year-old's representative, Mustapha Nakhli, says playing in England would be a dream come true.
    But it appears Tottenham are among the frontrunners after Nakhli claimed that talks had taken place with the White Hart Lane outfit.
    "There is enormous interest. A number of clubs have made concrete approaches, with Tottenham among them," Nakhli said.
    "Jan has a few dream clubs. Playing at the top of the Premier League is something he has worked really hard for."
    Vertonghen has a year left to run on his Ajax contract and boss Frank de Boer has admitted he is now ready for a move elsewhere after taking his game to a higher level this season.

"Jan has seen the light," said De Boer. "Not only on the pitch, but away from it. I have been very critical of him and, at some point, he must have become fond of me.
    "His development is wonderful to see. If he leaves, I think it is right. Earlier, I thought it would have been unwise.
    "It will not be easy to replace him."

Jermaine Pennant: Could face QPR on Sunday

Stoke manager Tony Pulis has insisted he would like Jermaine Pennant to stay at the Britannia Stadium for the remainder of his contract.
    Pennant was bailed pending further inquiries on Wednesday after being arrested for an alleged assault on a woman in a Manchester nightclub at the weekend.
    The 29-year-old was was involved in a car crash two hours after the alleged assault and charged with drink-driving, driving while disqualified and having no insurance.
    He will appear at Trafford Magistrates' Court next Wednesday to answer the driving charges, but Pulis says he could play in Stoke's game against QPR on Sunday.

Pulis will handle any disciplinary matters internally but has made it clear that he stands by Pennant and is keen to keep him at the club.
    He was left out of Tuesday's 1-1 draw with Everton, but Pulis said: "The reason he wasn't involved was because of his hamstring. Hopefully come Sunday he will be involved.
    "We've taken the approach that we will look after him. Once we know what he has or hasn't done, and what the court decide, we will deal with it.

"Do I want to keep him here? Yes, of course. He has another year on his contract. It's unfortunate it has happened and we have to deal with it.
    "He has his court case on May 9. I've not spoken to anyone on the police force about it, so I can't comment. I'm certainly not going to hang the kiddie before we know what this is all about."

Roy Hodgson: Quickly into the Euros

New England boss Roy Hodgson will not be given the benefit of a honeymoon period, former international defender Sol Campbell has warned.
    Campbell says the fact that Hodgson will be plunged straight into Euro 2012 means he will not have the settling-in period that other England managers have enjoyed.
    The former Tottenham and Arsenal defender told CNN: "In the beginning, there's always a honeymoon period. They [the media] usually give you a little bit of a grace of a couple of months.

"But because the tournament is upon us, really, there's no honeymoon period."
    Campbell added that the controversial front-page headline which made fun of Hodgson's manner of speech on Wednesday was "in bad taste". The Sun's headline 'Bwing on the Euwos' led to more than 100 complaints to the Press Complaints Commission and to criticism from the FA.
    An FA statement said: "On this occasion, we will not be making an official complaint to the PCC but we have raised it with the newspaper and made it clear that their front page is unacceptable to us."
    FA chairman David Bernstein added: "We are delighted at the media response to Roy's appointment but are disappointed with the headline in The Sun, which we consider is in poor taste and disrespectful."
    In its story the Sun said Hodgson was "affectionately known as Woy due to his speech impediment".

Hodgson will pass up the chance to watch a number of England hopefuls in the FA Cup final on Saturday because he is committed to preparing West Brom for his penultimate game in charge of the Baggies.
    The 64-year-old will see out the end of the season with West Brom, and that means he will be on their training pitch on Saturday instead of at Wembley to watch Chelsea play Liverpool.
    Hodgson, unlike previous England managers Fabio Capello and Sven-Goran Eriksson ahead of their first games in charge of the national team, already has detailed knowledge of all the English players in the Premier League.
    "The players are pretty well known to me, even if I haven't worked with many of them," said Hodgson, who has postponed the naming of his squad until after the last game of the season.
    He has already confirmed that he will take Wayne Rooney to Euro 2012 despite the Manchester United player being suspended for the first two games of the European Championships.

Meanwhile, Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard, who played under Hodgson at Anfield, has given the new England manager his full backing.
    Hodgson endured a difficult 191-day reign at Liverpool during which time the club was in midst of a takeover.
    Gerrard said: "Roy is a good manager. I've worked with him before but I think he took the Liverpool job at the wrong time.
    "My opinion of him has not changed before he got the (Liverpool) job, while he had the job and after it.
    "He was very good technically, very thorough, a great guy and very loyal among the players."

Jamie Langfield: New deal done

Aberdeen goalkeeper Jamie Langfield was delighted to sign a new two-year deal at Pittodrie.
    On Wednesday night the Dons stopper made his third appearance in a row - in a 2-1 defeat by Hibernian - as he continued his comeback after suffering a brain haemorrhage last summer.
    The end of the season may be coming at the wrong time for the fit-again goalkeeper but Langfield says his decision to remain at Pittodrie was made for footballing reasons.
    He said: "It was a big decision and I'm delighted. I knew a month ago the club had offered me a new deal.
    "It was all about playing football again as I have come through a lot this year. I have worked my backside off to get back fit and get over my illness.

"It was great to get the offer and, as I said to the manager, it was just down to footballing reasons.
    "Things obviously haven't went right the past two games but I feel like I'm finding my feet again and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
    "I could have gambled and tried my luck elsewhere. There was interest but my main focus was on getting back playing.
    "I said that to the manager and to get offered a two-year contract was great. That will take my up to my ninth year at the club so I'm really happy and hopefully I can give a lot more than I gave this season."
    Langfield admitted the Dons have to cut out their defensive mistakes after they slumped to a home defeat at the hands of Hibs and a sixth loss in eight matches.

He added: "If you start a match the way we started then it is always going to be an uphill task - especially at home. We didn't get going at all in the first half and lost two silly goals. We did play better in the second half but it was too late by then."
    The win for Hibernian moves them five points above bottom of the league Dunfermline with two games remaining and manager Pat Fenlon is confident his side can confirm their Clydesdale Bank Premier League safety when they meet the Pars at Easter Road on Monday.
    He added: "I said the other day that I expected us to see it out. We are under no illusions. We know Dunfermline are going to come at us on Monday and have a right go.

"We have to stand up to that. We will be at home and I'm expecting a big crowd.
    "We will go out to win the match. We haven't gone into any game playing for a point.
    "There are a few where we would have taken a point but we will go and try to win the game like we always do."

Andrey Arshavin: Zenit loan move

Arsenal forward Andrey Arshavin will wait until after Euro 2012 before deciding where his future lies.
    Arshavin joined Zenit St Petersburg on a five-month loan deal in February and has made a big impact at his hometown club, helping them to win their second consecutive Russian title at the weekend.
    The 30-year-old forward is unsure whether he will return to the Gunners next season, and will instead delay discussions on his future.
    "I haven't yet thought about (my future). Everything will be decided after the European Championship," Arshavin told Russian newspaper Sport Express.
    "Of course, the result and quality of play there could affect my destiny."

Arshavin enjoyed two relatively successful years at Arsenal but he fell down the pecking order at the Emirates Stadium this term and was even booed while entering the pitch for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain during January's 2-1 home defeat to Manchester United.
    The Russian, who cost 15million when he signed for the club in February 2009, made only eight league starts for the Gunners this season and is sure that the temporary move to his homeland was worthwhile.

"Without a doubt it was the right decision," he added.
    "There are many reasons why. First of all, I am now playing, and that is paramount for any player as training is no substitute for matches. Second, I have returned to my hometown. Third, Zenit have done everything to make me feel comfortable and my thoughts are now only focused on football."

Ally McCoist: Calling for fan support

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has urged fans to give whoever is named preferred bidder to take over the club a fair chance.
    Supporters have made it clear they have reservations over American tycoon Bill Miller, whose plans for the club are likely to involve a 'newco' scenario.
    Sale Sharks owner Brian Kennedy and former Ibrox director Paul Murray's Blue Knights consortium have also submitted an offer with administrators Duff and Phelps.
    Speaking after Wednesday's emphatic 5-0 win over Dundee United in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League, McCoist said: "I think everybody has got to be given a chance, whether it's Bill Miller or whoever it may be.

"We would all be wrong to sit and be judge and jury immediately before anything could happen.
    "I don't think we are in a position other than we have to be supportive of somebody that will hopefully come in and take the club forward.
    "We've got to be supportive of that person or persons.
    "People will have their own opinions on things and ideas of who they want.
    "But, from within the club, we just want somebody who will come in and give us a little bit of stability again and hopefully take the club forward.
    "If we have to go a couple of steps back but can take the club forward then so be it. That's certainly a better proposition than what could be."
    McCoist has had a number of conversations with Miller by telephone and was asked whether he believes the tycoon has the best interests of Rangers at heart.

He said: "I've spoken to him and it's not ideal because I know Bill would rather I was next to him and looking across the table and so would I.
    "But he is obviously across in America and that's not possible.
    "But every conversation I've had with Bill - and indeed I've met his representatives - have all been absolutely positive.
    "They have asked the right questions and I would like to think I've asked the right questions back."
    However, McCoist admits he can also see where the fans are coming from with their concerns over a potential new owner in the midst of a turbulent period in the club's history.
    He added: "I can understand the fans' concerns about everything. Of course I do.
    "The fans are well within their rights to have concerns about anybody who is going to come in and take over the club.
    "But all I would ask for is for the fans to give whoever gets preferred bidder status a chance.
    "The fans have been wonderful and they have shown tremendous unity and they will hopefully give whoever gets preferred bidder status a chance. I believe they deserve that."

McCoist said he believed both bids involved a newco situation but not liquidation.
    Kennedy and Murray - who were both at Wednesday's game - subsequently released a statement stressing their offer was conditional on a Company Voluntary Arrangement being agreed.
    McCoist said: "Just to put the record straight on that, what I said yesterday I would have to stand by because I was told that was the case.
    "I wasn't giving anybody any other information other than what I was told. If they have come out and denied that, that's absolutely fine.
    "Certainly, I wasn't misleading anybody, I was only passing on information I was told."
    On the naming of a preferred bidder, McCoist added: "I don't have any other update. I'm hopeful something can happen in the foreseeable future.
    "I know the administrators have been talking to Brian Kennedy and they have had continued conversations with Bill Miller.
    "I remain hopeful but don't have any other information for you."

A double from Sone Aluko and goals from Steven Whittaker, Jamie Ness and Alejandro Bedoya allowed Rangers to seal second spot in the SPL and bounce back from Sunday's Old Firm derby defeat.
    McCoist said: "To a man, they gave everybody a real tonic after the disappointment of the weekend. It was fantastic."
    United boss Peter Houston said: "It wasn't a frustrating night, it was an embarrassing night with the first-half performance.
    "That wasn't Dundee United that was playing out there tonight. I don't know what happened with regards to the start. After 17 minutes, the game is over."

These were the plans for Liverpool's new stadium

Liverpool have reported a loss of almost 50million for the last financial year as a result of failed new stadium costs and pay-offs to former manager Roy Hodgson and other staff.
    Despite owners Fenway Sports Group wiping out debts of 200m with their October 2010 purchase of the club, they had to write off a further 35m associated with the doomed HKS-designed Stanley Park project of predecessors Tom Hicks and George Gillett.
    And Hodgson's exit in January 2011, after just 191 days in charge, and the departure of former managing director Christian Purslow, contributed to a further 8.4m relating to contract terminations, accounts filed to Companies House show.

Current managing director Ian Ayre insists the accounts, without that "extraordinary" expenditure, are in good shape.
    "I guess people will focus on the loss of 49.4m and there's no business - or people running any business - who are going to be pleased with any loss," he told the Liverpool Echo.
    "But I think the important indicator here is this 59m charge for exceptional items and as a business that's been in a transition, it's about moving from where we were to where we want to be.
    "We have written off a huge amount on the stadium project. A big chunk of that 50m loss relates to the HKS project - which is now defunct - and associated costs around that."

Following their takeover in 2007, Hicks decided to abandon established plans for a new ground in Stanley Park and engaged Dallas-based architects HKS, who came up with an ambitious glass and steel design.
    Soon after taking over, FSG scrapped that project but there were still residual costs associated with legal, planning and design fees, which needed to be settled and resulted in a huge deficit.
    "With new ownership that was kind of milling around within the club's accounts and there was a very definite need to move that out," said Ayre.
    "It is a huge loss but that goes with a lot of other things that nobody was really happy with in that period.
    "So rather than dwell on it, we've very smartly made the decision to remove it from the club's accounts.

"It is a big write-off but it means that it's gone forever now and we can move forward now without that around our neck.
    "And it also means that we are in pretty good shape in being a sustainable business. It's a positive step forward."
    Ayre insisted the amount of money spent on contract terminations was less unusual, although dispensing with Hodgson after six months in charge was out of the ordinary for Liverpool, who have a history of sticking with managers for much longer.
    "It's nothing untypical of anything in football. Contracts are typically fixed term," said Ayre of the pay-offs.
    "When you make a decision to terminate somebody, the right and proper thing to do is honour the pay-out of that contract.
    "This relates to Roy and to some of his backroom staff and also to Christian Purslow leaving. It's standard across football.
    "It's unfortunate to have to have them - nobody wants to see anybody go - but in certain circumstances it's right to make a change and that's what that relates to."

On the accounts as a whole Ayre said they were in better shape long-term as a result of the action taken by the owners.
    The figures do not include the kit deal signed with American company Warrior Sports, which is worth at least 25million a year.
    "If we had not written off these extraordinary costs, we would have been looking at breaking even," Ayre said.

"We have reduced interest charges from 18m to about 3m. That puts us in a much stronger position to utilise our revenues more effectively on the team.
    "These figures in many ways represent the commitment of the owners, in paying down the acquisition debts and in other areas.
    "What is reflected in these accounts was going on around the time they actually came into the club.
    "It's not where we are today. It's a year on, so it was a big commitment at an early stage
    "The owners have continued to make changes and commitments.
    "They have made some great investment at the start; they cleaned up a lot of what was a problem at Liverpool and they have invested in both the team on and off the pitch.
    "They continue to do that and look at what's right - and what works and what doesn't work."

Rangers are in administration

Bill Miller is nearing a takeover of Rangers after an unconditional bid saw the American businessman granted preferred bidder status by administrators Duff and Phelps.
    The tow truck tycoon was vying for control with the Blue Knights consortium led by former Rangers director Paul Murray and backed by Sale Sharks owner Brian Kennedy and now appears to have won the race to succeed Craig Whyte as owner.
    Miller last month unveiled plans for an 11.2million bid for Rangers which would create what he described as an "incubator" company while Duff and Phelps bid to take the club out of administration through a Creditors Voluntary Arrangement.

Joint administrator Paul Clark informed staff of the news at a meeting at Ibrox on Thursday morning.
    Clark was quoted on the club's official website saying: "We would like to thank all parties for their efforts in seeking to submit bids which preserve the long history and success of the club.
    "We are delighted to announce that we have received an unconditional bid for the business and assets of Rangers Football Club plc from Mr Bill Miller which has been accepted in principle and he is now the preferred bidder.
    "Mr Miller now proposes to complete his transaction by the end of the season."

Arjen Robben: Extends stay with the German giants

Arjen Robben has signed a two-year contract extension to keep him at Bayern Munich until 2015.
    The Holland winger had been linked with a move away from the Allianz Arena this summer following reports of a dressing-room bust-up with team-mate Franck Ribery during the Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid.
    Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge was always adamant he would stay, though, and Bayern confirmed the 28-year-old has put pen to paper on a new deal on Thursday.

Robben scored in Bayern's last-four win over former club Madrid and takes on another one of his old employers in Chelsea in the final.
    "I've always emphasised that I feel very, very settled in Munich and at FC Bayern," Robben told the club's official website.
    "This is the reason I'm glad to extend my contract ahead of its expiry. FC Bayern is like a family to me. Two of my three children were born in Munich, and my family and I feel at home here.
    "This contract extension is also the right decision for me from a sporting perspective. We have a magnificent team, and I'm certain we'll enjoy the maximum possible footballing success in the years to come."

Rummenigge added: "We're extremely pleased that we've extended Arjen's contract a year before its expiry by two further years until 2015.
    "Arjen is a very important player for FC Bayern, and also a guarantee of the club's continuing success in the future."
    Robben, who won two Premier League titles and an FA Cup in three years at Chelsea between 2004 and 2007, has enjoyed an impressive season, with 17 goals in all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast