Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 07-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 07-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 07-05-2012

Vertonghen: Set to leave Ajax this summer

VERTONGHEN: SPURS JUST AN OPTION

Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen admits he is far from certain to be joining Tottenham this summer.
    Spurs revealed they had spoken to the Belgian's agent last week over a 7m move to White Hart Lane and Rafael van der Vaart talked up his chances of joining the club.

Vertonghen has been linked with a move to England for some time, previously indicating his interest in joining a 'magnificent club' like Arsenal.
    But Vertonghen said: "I have a choice. There's something happening with Tottenham, but there are other clubs interested,"
    "For me, it is important to get regular playing time. I also need a stable club."

He has also been linked with Barcelona, but admits playing in the Premier League appeals to him more.
    "In England, there is a growing realisation that you can go far with good football. Arsenal started it and now you also see clubs like Newcastle United, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur playing good football," he added.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 07-05-2012

Cuellar: Joined Villa from Rangers in 2008

CUELLAR TWEETS VILLA FAREWELL

Carlos Cuellar is on his way out of Aston Villa after tweeting his farewells to fans on Sunday afternoon.
    The Spanish defender has been a consistent performer for Villa since his arrival from Rangers in 2008 but he will be out of contract at the end of the season.
    Villa sealed their Premier League future with a 1-1 draw against Spurs on Sunday, after which Cuellar took to Twitter to wish them all the best for the future.
    He wrote: "Very happy because, after my last match at Villa Park, the team will stay one more year where it has to be.

"Thank you all for your support both in the good and the bad moments through all these years.
    "Thank you very much for these fantastic four years. It has been an honour to be part of one of the biggest clubs.
    "I will miss you forever in my heart. This is one of the saddest days but thank you for supporting me everyday. I wish you all the best."

Uploads

Clark's strike fired Villa in front against Spurs

McLEISH EXPECTS TO STAY AT VILLA

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish insists he expects to remain in charge of the club for next season despite the negative reaction of some supporters.
    Chants of 'Sack McLeish' greeted the Scot from some fans on the final whistle after Villa's 1-1 draw with Tottenham.
    Emmanuel Adebayor's penalty had cancelled out Villa midfielder Ciaran Clark's deflected opener in a game that Spurs dominated but met a stoic Villa defense marshalled by Richard Dunne.

Spurs also had defender Danny Rose sent off early in the second period for a challenge on Villa defender Alan Hutton.
    McLeish admits it is has been a difficult season but is adamant he retains the support of club owner Randy Lerner.
    He said: "It is as tough a season as I've had. I knew it was going to be a challenge but I've always stood up in the face of adversity.
    "I assessed the squad at the start of the season and knew there was a possibility of being in the lower half of the table if we got injuries.
    "Randy Lerner has been very supportive, he's sent positive texts in the last few days and there is no indication of an urgent meeting being required.

"I expect to be here next season and hope to win the fans over. In general, the fans have been excellent.
    "I bought into the project here with Randy and the board and the need to reduce the wage bill.
    "There has been some pain along the way but I have shown leadership and stood up in times of adversity."
    McLeish opted to select midfielder Chris Herd despite fining him for his part in a nightclub incident.
    He said: "I contemplated leaving Herd out after the incident. That was a big dilemma for me over the last 48 hours and did not sit comfortably with me.

"I did not want to cut off my nose to spite my face, he put in a good performance and hopefully will not behave like that again."
    McLeish confirmed striker Andreas Weimann will be out of action for six weeks with a medial ligament injury.

Uploads

Goian: Happy to stay at Rangers

GOIAN HOPING FOR IBROX STAY

Dorin Goian insists he is not looking for a way out of Rangers this summer despite the club's ongoing financial uncertainty.
    The Romania defender is adamant that he does not want to leave Ibrox and feels he has enjoyed a decent debut season, on the pitch at least.
    Goian and the rest of Ally McCoist's squad have clauses in their contracts which allow them to leave at the end of the season for cut-price fees.

"It has been a difficult year for everyone connected with Rangers. But despite those problems, it was also nice for me," Goian said.
    "I want to stay. I have a contract for another two years and want to play for Rangers."

Uploads

Claudio Pizarro: Contract expires in June

PIZARRO URGED TO DECIDE ON FUTURE

Werder Bremen's director of sport Klaus Allofs has told striker Claudio Pizarro to make up his mind over his future at the club.
    The Peruvian's contract expires at the end of June, after he activated an option to terminate his current deal a year early.
    Bayern Munich were thought to be interested in their former player, whose delaying tactics must end, according to Allofs.

"I believe him when he says he has not yet made up his mind, but he has got to reach a decision now," Allofs told reporters in Bremen.
    "We are not playing in the Europa League so he must be able to make up his mind in the very near future.

"It should not drag on for three or four weeks."
    Pizarro ended the season on a high with two goals in their 3-2 defeat to Schalke at the weekend, but few others were celebrating inside the Weser Stadion.

"After this second half of the season, all you can say is 'thank God that's over'," said captain Clemens Fritz, who recently extended his contract.
    And after the worst second half of a season in the club's history, with just 13 points in 17 games, changes can be expected in Bremen this summer.

Uploads

Steve Kean: Under pressure

KEAN: I WON'T QUIT BLACKBURN

Blackburn manager Steve Kean is adamant he will not walk away from the club even if they suffer relegation to the Championship this season.
    Rovers are second-bottom of the Premier League with two games remaining and must beat Wigan at Ewood Park on Monday night to keep any realistic hopes of survival alive, with a trip to Chelsea looming next weekend.

However, defiant boss Kean feels the club are in a much better financial position than they were when he took charge 18 months ago.
    The manager has regularly come under fire from unhappy Rovers fans this season but insists he sees his future at the club.
    He told The Sun: "I don't expect to go down but if we do I definitely want to be here and I expect to be here.
    "The target for us is to make sure we're in the division we want to be in which is the top division.

"Financially, we've got a lot of income from transfers and I'd suggest the capital inside the squad is a lot healthier than a couple of years ago.
    "Think about the value of Martin Olsson, Grant Hanley, Jason Lowe and Marcus Olsson. We got them for nothing.
    "Young players have come in and played so well. If someone comes in for them we will be demanding very high fees.
    "We have an up-and-coming group, the youngest in the Premier League. They are exciting players and coming through this experience will help them.
    "I'm confident we can beat Wigan and take it to the final game at Chelsea."

Uploads

Di Matteo: No decision on his future

GOURLAY KEEPS QUIET ON DI MATTEO

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay gave nothing away about Roberto Di Matteo's future after watching the caretaker manager lead the club to FA Cup glory.
    But he revealed the Blues had still not given up hope of persuading Wembley hero Didier Drogba to sign a new contract at Stamford Bridge.
    Chelsea captain John Terry said on Friday he hoped beating Liverpool would help Di Matteo land the manager's job full-time.
    Gourlay has been adamant no decision would be taken until after the Champions League final on May 19 and he said after the 2-1 triumph: "I'm not going to change my mind on what I've said.

"We've just got to take - the cliched - one game at a time. That's honestly the way that we've treated things.
    "We've got three games left, we'll see how we finish.
    "Hopefully, we can take this forward now to Munich and make us all proud and then we'll take things from there."
    Gourlay hailed the extraordinary turnaround Di Matteo had masterminded since replacing the sacked Andre Villas-Boas two months earlier.
    "He's done very well since we brought him in as the interim manager and I think the players have responded particularly well as well, so there's been a good team effort," Gourlay said.

"When you look back and where we've got to, I think we've come a long way."
    Drogba made history by becoming the first man to score in four FA Cup finals.
    The striker appeared certain to leave Chelsea when his contract expires this summer after rejecting a one-year extension.
    Gourlay said: "We're always talking to Didier.

"Didier loves Chelsea and we love Didier and we'll continue to have the conversations and we'll see where that goes."
    Drogba, 34, had been demanding a two-year deal and asked if there was any wriggle room on either side, Gourlay added: "I don't want to go into contractual things. It's not right for me to do that."

Uploads

Ross Perry: Fully expects to stay at Rangers

PERRY PLANNING RANGERS STAY

Ross Perry has indicated he fully intends to see out his Rangers contract, whether players are free to walk away from Ibrox this summer or not.
    Preferred bidder Bill Miller's plan if he gains control of Rangers is to create an incubator company while Duff and Phelps aim to take the club out of administration via a CVA.
    PFA Scotland chief executive Fraser Wishart said last month he believed players may be able to quit for nothing under a 'newco' scenario.
    It is a situation boss Ally McCoist is seeking urgent clarification on and Perry is also unsure of players' rights under such circumstances.
    Speaking after Saturday's goalless draw against Motherwell in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League, the defender said: "I've heard a few things and people seem to be contradicting each other.

"But I've got three years left on my contract and fully expect to be here."
    Sasa Papac revealed on Friday he will leave after six years when his contract expires at the end of the season.
    And it was put to Perry that some others may now have played their last game at Ibrox, amid ongoing uncertainty over the club's future.
    He said: "I'm not sure. Everyone is in their own position and some of the boys are out of contract and would be leaving anyway.
    "I personally just need to concentrate on myself and I'm looking forward to coming back and enjoying next season at Rangers."
    He added: "Sasa will be a huge miss to the squad.
    "He has been a real presence over the last five or six years and he will be sadly missed.
    "A couple of others might have to go elsewhere but that's just part and parcel of football."
    Perry hopes Rangers have taken a step in the right direction on their road to recovery after administrators named American trucking tycoon Miller preferred bidder on Thursday.

The 22-year-old said: "It's been a testing time of late but thankfully we can see a light at the end of the tunnel.
    "Hopefully things can get resolved and we will be able to come back next season and everything will be normal again.
    "It's been unsettling but we just need to concentrate on our football and things will hopefully work out for the best."
    Rangers were forced to settle for a point from their final home game of the season.
    Perry said: "It was tough. The schedule has been a bit hectic over the last week or so.

"The boys also had a game on Wednesday night and maybe struggled to get going a little bit.
    "Motherwell have got their third place secured so there wasn't a great deal to play for.
    "We need to fulfil our fixtures but as a spectacle it wasn't great."
    Well boss Stuart McCall was satisfied with the result having suffered heavy defeats in their last two visits to Ibrox.
    He said: "We wanted to give a better account of ourselves than we did when we lost 6-0 and 3-0.
    "I thought we were decent enough and had two or three good opportunities."

Uploads

Dempsey scored what would be Fulham's winner

JOL QUIET ON POSSIBLE PLAYER EXITS

Fulham manager Martin Jol preferred to praise his improving side rather than speculate about his players' future after Saturday's defeat of Sunderland.
    The west Londoners secured their fifth win in seven games as goals from Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele helped the hosts to a 2-1 victory at Craven Cottage.
    Both players have been heavily linked with summer moves away from the Whites, while the likes of Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson have yet to extend their deals past the summer.

Jol was keen not to speculate about any departures, though, preferring instead to focus on what he believes is an exciting future.
    "If you don't mind, I don't want to think about that kind of negativity," the Dutchman said when asked if players would be leaving this summer.
    "I want to enjoy today and I enjoyed it before the match, which is probably the first time this season because there was not a lot to lose.
    "But, on the other hand, we thought if we would get a win under our belt, we could end up above Liverpool.
    "If we had ended up with one point, we were certain of ending above Stoke, Swansea and all the other teams so it is great to have a win and we will be in top 10, which was our main target.
    "I was very pleased with the way we played and the only thing is that excitement [of having to hold on] until the last second is not what you want.

"If you played the way we played, you should have scored three or four goals and put it to bed and finish it off.
    "That is not what we did but we are improving, we are getting better, we try to play our football and especially in the first half you saw we were the better team because of our style.
    "If all the players will be here, we will only get better."
    Saturday's result means Jol will return to former club Tottenham next weekend knowing the Cottagers lie one point shy of their previous record, secured under Roy Hodgson in the 2008/09 season.
    A record-equalling seventh-place finish is also within grasp but Jol will be happy even if they fall short.
    "It will be my first game back at White Hart Lane and it will be nice [to get the record]," he said.
    "There is not a lot of pressure on us and it would be nice to get three points.

"I would like Spurs to play in the Champions League, of course, but, on the other hand, if we can get three points that would be good.
    "I am satisfied with what we have achieved and this is probably our best season ever when combining with European football.
    "Of course, they were higher in the league before but then they didn't have to play all these games in Europe.
    "We played almost 40 games before Christmas and to still be on 52 points is a good achievement."
    Sunderland counterpart Martin O'Neill struck a frustrated figure in the post-match press conference.
    The Black Cats are without a win in seven league matches after Saturday's loss, which was made especially irritating after Dembele scored Fulham's winner straight after Phil Bardsley had pulled them level.

"I think that obviously we missed some gilt-edged chances and eventually that proved the difference in the game," O'Neill said.
    "Overall it was an encouraging performance by us and in possession I thought we passed the ball pretty well today so to concede just after we scored a great equaliser was particularly galling.
    "We went to sleep after the equaliser and maybe we were distracted by the fact that [Stephane] Sessegnon had to change his footwear at that time.

"I would say within 10 seconds of kick-off they have made it 2-1 so it just nullifies our goal immediately and sets you on the back foot.
    "We should have done better. We should have dealt with it better, but overall we are learning.
    "It was Ji Dong-won's first start under me. I knew he would get pretty tired in the last half an hour but I thought there were some very encouraging signs."

Uploads

Dimitar Berbatov: Linked with Man United exit

BERBATOV WON'T GO ON THE CHEAP

Sir Alex Ferguson insists Dimitar Berbatov will not be allowed to leave Old Trafford on the cheap and says his golden oldies will be at the club next year.
    Paul Scholes, 37, came out of retirement in January, while Ryan Giggs at a year older is still displaying enthusiasm for the game 17 years after making his league debut.
    Midfield has been mentioned as a possible area that might be reinforced during the close season, but the United chief will not be investing at the expense of his veterans.

In Berbatov's case, he has found his first-team appearances limited due to the emergence of Danny Welbeck this season.
    And despite the fact his contract is running down, Ferguson will not allow his talents to be secured cheaply by any of their potential suitors.
    "We won't be letting him go for nothing," Ferguson told The People.
    "Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs will be here next year and, unless someone makes an offer we want for Berbatov, he will, too."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast