Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 08-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 08-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 08-05-2012

Heskey: Looking for a new club

HESKEY, CUELLAR SET FOR VILLA EXIT

Striker Emile Heskey is resigned to leaving Aston Villa this summer after not being offered a new contract - and defender Carlos Cuellar's days at the midlands club could also be numbered.
    Former England international Heskey is set to play his final game for Villa at Norwich on Sunday as his three-and-a-half-year deal is completed.

Cuellar also appeared to say farewell via Twitter - with his four-year contract also running out this summer.
    Heskey said: "I've enjoyed my spell at Villa. We got to the Carling Cup final, and an FA Cup semi-final. It gave me the chance at Wembley again so I can't complain.
    "But there are no contract talks with Villa so I will be looking elsewhere.

"I haven't got a club (lined up) to be honest. Obviously my contract is up so I just take it day by day and see what crops up.
    "But I want to carry on playing. I'm 34. I still feel I can play so I don't see why I need to retire just now.
    "I still want to play at Premier League level. From when I started, I always said I wanted to play at the highest level wherever that might be. You always strive for that."

Cuellar tweeted: "(I'm) very happy because after my last match at Villa Park (against Tottenham) the team will stay one more year where it has to be.
    "Thank you all for your support in good and the bad moments all these years!"
    The 30-year-old Spaniard moved from Rangers to Villa Park for 7.8million in August 2008.
    Despite talks between the club and his representatives, he has yet to be offered a new deal.
    There is continuing speculation over Villa manager Alex McLeish's future despite Villa having virtually secured their Barclays Premier League status thanks to Sunday's 1-1 home draw against Tottenham.

But Heskey believes whoever is in charge needs to be in a position to strengthen the squad this summer.
    He said: "Will McLeish still be manager? Best to ask the powers that be. I don't see why not. We are more or less safe now so he will be looking forward to next year.
    "But I think a few more players are needed. I think we needed a few more players this season but we battled on with what we had.
    "I'm sure Alex will have people he wants on his radar and hopefully he gets them in."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 08-05-2012

Steve Kean: Ready to lead Rovers' promotion push

STEVE KEAN VOWS TO FIGHT ON

Blackburn boss Steve Kean went down fighting, vowing to bounce back as his team were relegated from the Premier League.
    Kean was barracked mercilessly by the home support as Rovers crashed to a late 1-0 defeat against Wigan at Ewood Park to suffer the drop into the npower Championship.
    The Scot, who has withstood protests throughout Rovers' miserable season, wants to stay on despite the vitriol and is convinced controversial owners Venky's will continue to back him.

Kean said: "It is difficult to put into words what the atmosphere is like in the dressing room.
    "A few things were thrown our way in the media last week, questioning our attitude, but I felt tonight we gave it a real good go.
    "The disappointing thing is we couldn't take it to the last game.
    "I am not going to walk away. We're devastated but we'll live to fight another day.
    "I will sit down with the owners and discuss a plan on how to assemble a squad to help us bounce back up straight away.
    "We need to try to keep the majority of the squad together and add one or two experienced players that can help us, so from the first game of the season we are ready to bounce back and make sure we are in the division we should be in.
    "I have spoken with the owners, like I do every day. We haven't mentioned what has happened tonight, but I am confident we will have a sit down and have a plan in place as quickly as possible."

Rovers went into the game knowing they had to win to retain any hope - already slim - of survival.
    Yet at times it seemed fans had already resigned themselves to that fate as they spent most of the game directing their ire at Kean and Indian poultry giants Venky's.
    A live chicken was released early in the game while by the end some fans were throwing away their shirts and others invaded the pitch. A small section protested after the match and had still not left the ground more than an hour after the full-time whistle.
    When asked why he wanted to continue working in such an atmosphere, Kean said: "I am a big believer in my own ability and a big believer in the guys I have got in the dressing room.
    "I have spoken to each and every one of them and they are devastated but I can't fault their commitment.

"I am convinced we can go on and build a side that can move us forward again, but this is a massive setback."
    Kean allayed fears defender Gael Givet, who has a known heart condition, had suffered a further scare before he was substituted at half-time.
    Kean said: "I was informed by the medical team at half-time he was struggling. He had a couple of injuries - groin and hamstring. He was struggling and we will get the full extent of that tomorrow."
    When told there had been reports of a heart scare, Kean said: "I'm not aware of that."

Givet himself took up a seat in the stand to watch the second half.
    Wigan manager Roberto Martinez hailed his players after securing three points that guarantee their survival.
    "It doesn't seem real yet," Martinez told Sky Sports 1.
    "Its a great feeling because you could feel the tension and it was a cagey affair. To do that and to keep a clean sheet - to have that and what it means is incredible. Eight years in the Premier League
    "It's been a great run but football is about the players. It's very easy to say the right things but what matters is when you cross the white line to be brave and arrogant.
    "All I do is allow them to enjoy their football and the credit goes to the players.
    "You get really high pressure. We've been in the bottom three for a long time. They made the football club proud and the chairman proud."

Uploads

Mauricio Pellegrino: Two-year deal

VALENCIA TURN TO PELLEGRINO

Mauricio Pellegrino has been appointed Valencia coach on a two-year contract starting next season.
    The 40-year-old former Los Che defender will succeed Unai Emery, who is leaving when his contract expires at the end of the campaign after four years in charge.
    Club president Manuel Llorente told the club's official website: "The board have signed and ratified the agreement reached this past Friday with Mauricio Pellegrino, who will be the first-team manager for the next two seasons."

Emery's side secured third place in the Primera Division - for the third straight term - and an automatic Champions League spot on Saturday with a 1-0 home win over Villarreal. They reached the semi-finals of the Copa del Rey and Europa League this season but were dumped out by Barcelona and Atletico Madrid respectively.
    Argentinian Pellegrino, who won two La Liga titles in his six years with Valencia as a player from 1999 to 2005, has previously held the role of assistant coach under Rafael Benitez at Liverpool, where he was also a player, and Inter Milan.

Uploads

Mike Buskens: 'Not available' for Cologne

BUSKENS OUT OF COLOGNE RUNNING

Mike Buskens has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant coaching job at Cologne.
    Buskens led Greuther Furth to their first promotion to the top flight this season, but was linked with a move back to his native North-Rhine Westphalia, where his family lives.
    He was back in the area this weekend, prompting speculation he was negotiating with Cologne following their relegation to the second division, but he told the Bild newspaper he is not interested.
    "I am not available for the Cologne job," he stated.

Buskens' future at Furth is nevertheless unclear, given his desire to move closer to his family in the west of Germany.
    He still has a year left to run on his contract with the Bavarian club who, over more than a decade of finishing just one or two positions behind the top teams were always just missing out, but he has yet to make up his mind whether he will join them in the top flight.

"It is something quite special for us to win the second division with Furth," he said at the weekend.
    "I need a few days to gather my thoughts on what I will do and what will happen. I will make up my mind very soon."
    Bayer Leverkusen are also understood to be monitoring the situation of the former Schalke caretaker-coach.

Uploads

Andrea Stramaccioni: Could stay on at Inter

INTER CONSIDER NEW STRAMACCIONI DEAL

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has admitted coach Andrea Stramaccioni could end up remaining in charge for next season.
    The 36-year-old, who was promoted from youth team coach to guide the first team following the sacking of Claudio Ranieri in March, led Inter to a 4-2 triumph over AC Milan in Sunday's derby.

That result lifted Inter level on 58 points with fifth-place Napoli, who hold the last Europa League qualifying spot, with one game left to play.
    When asked if Stramaccioni deserved to remain in charge of the team in the future, Moratti told Inter's website: "Yes I believe so.
    "In any case when we signed him in a gesture which he (Stramaccioni) considered to be mad, in reality, in my opinion, it was an intelligent solution and hence, I believe we can continue like this.

"He is a young guy that nevertheless seems to have an experience that allows him to do things well."
    Inter have lost just one of their eight games under Stramaccioni, a 3-1 defeat at Parma on May 2.
    The Nerazzurri end the campaign at Lazio on Sunday.

Uploads

Bill Miller is out of the running for Rangers

THREE NEW GERS BIDDERS, MILLER OUT

Rangers administrators have confirmed three other bidders have expressed an interest in buying the club after Bill Miller withdrew his offer.
    American tycoon Miller - who was named preferred bidder on Thursday - informed Duff and Phelps on Tuesday of his plans to withdraw from the process.
    David Whitehouse, joint administrator, said: "As a consequence of Mr Miller's bid being accepted, three other bidders have come forward to express their interest in buying the club and these offers are being evaluated with the utmost urgency."

Administrators opted for Miller's 11.2million bid over a rival offer from Sale Sharks owner Brian Kennedy and the Blue Knights consortium.
    The American had been hopeful of completing his takeover by the end of the season, albeit he was seeking clarification over sanctions imposed on Rangers by the football authorities.
    Duff and Phelps revealed that Miller ended his interest in the club because he was "uncomfortable" with a number of issues.
    Whitehouse said: "We can confirm that Mr Bill Miller has decided not to complete his purchase of Rangers Football Club.
    "Since Mr Miller was announced as preferred bidder on Thursday of last week, it is regrettable that more progress could not be made to further the sale of the club.

"We have been informed by his advisors that there were a number of issues with which he felt uncomfortable including legacy contracts, the limitation of potential revenue streams and the expectation of required investment.
    "As in any company takeover, the selection of a preferred bidder does not guarantee the completion of the sale.
    "In this case, with time and money for Rangers running out quickly, it was essential to move the process forward with urgency.
    "Mr Miller's bid was deliverable to creditors and was the only deliverable bid on the table at that time. We had no other unconditional bid.

"Given the fact that Mr Miller did not enter into an exclusivity agreement, we informed all other known potential bidders at the time the door was not closed.
    "As a consequence of Mr Miller's bid being accepted, three other bidders have come forward to express their interest in buying the club and these offers are being evaluated with the utmost urgency.
    "There is every opportunity for these bidders to now complete the purchase of the club prior to the end of the season."

Uploads

Nick Barmby: Had criticised spending policy at Hull

NICK BARMBY SACKED BY HULL

Hull have sacked manager Nick Barmby, accusing him of "casting public doubt on the integrity" of the club's board.
    The 38-year-old, who has only been in the job for six months after taking over from Nigel Pearson in November, was widely reported to have been suspended last week in the wake of an interview he gave questioning the lack of money made available to him in the January transfer window.
    Hull's owners Assem and Ehab Allam took exception to the comments and have confirmed Barmby's dismissal on Tuesday, claiming the former England international has misled fans with his comments.

"Following recent speculation in the media Hull City can now confirm that following a brief period of suspension Nick Barmby has today been dismissed from his role as first-team manager with immediate effect," a statement read.
    "The reason for the dismissal relates to certain comments made by Nick in recent interviews.
    "The comments concerned were wholly misleading and implied that the board had not made funds available to Nick to strengthen the first-team squad during the January transfer window.
    "Such is not only completely untrue, the comments made by Nick contradicted the board's publicly stated position that funds would be made available to Nick during the January transfer window.
    "As stated in previous interviews, the board accepted every transfer request from Nick and in fact actively encouraged him to strengthen the squad should he feel it was necessary.

"The board consider the comments made by Nick unjustifiably cast public doubt on the honesty and integrity of the board and its members.
    "The relationship between the manager and the board is of prime importance to the success of any football club. In making the comments Nick made, he completely undermined the trust and confidence that needs to exist between the team and board."
    Barmby, who won 23 England caps and represented both Liverpool and Everton, joined his home town club as a player in 2004 and played a key role in the Tigers' rise to the Premier League in 2008.

The former Tottenham, Middlesbrough, Everton and Liverpool midfielder remained loyal to Hull following relegation at the end of the 2009-10 campaign and was made player-coach under manager Pearson the following season.
    Pearson quit Hull to return to former club Leicester in November last year and local hero Barmby was installed as a popular caretaker-manager, steering the Tigers to an eighth-placed finish, seven points adrift of the top six.
    Hull appeared on course for a top-six finish this time around, but a run of five straight defeats in March derailed their challenge and they finished seven points adrift of the top six after winning just one of their last 13 matches.
    The Tigers admit that it has been a difficult decision to part with Barmby.
    "The club sincerely hopes that its fans will recognise that the decision to dismiss Nick was not taken lightly," the club statement continued.
    "The decision was taken following meetings with Nick where he had every opportunity to state his case and make representations.
    "The club feels that it has treated Nick entirely fairly and in the same way that it would have treated any other employee in the same situation.

"Having been prepared to give Nick his first opportunity in football management, and for it to end like this, has been a particular disappointment to the board.
    "Notwithstanding the circumstances of this "parting of the ways" the board wish Nick every success in his future career and thank him for the service he has provided to the club since his return to his home town in 2004.
    "The club can confirm that the search for a new manager will begin immediately."
    Barmby, who won 23 England caps and represented both Liverpool and Everton, joined his home town club as a player in 2004 and played a key role in the Tigers' rise to the Premier League in 2008.
    The former Tottenham, Middlesbrough, Everton and Liverpool midfielder remained loyal to Hull following relegation at the end of the 2009-10 campaign and was made player-coach under manager Pearson the following season.

Pearson quit Hull to return to former club Leicester in November last year and local hero Barmby was installed as a popular caretaker-manager, steering the Tigers to an eighth-placed finish, seven points adrift of the top six.
    Hull appeared on course for a top-six finish this time around, but a run of five straight defeats in March derailed their challenge and they finished seven points adrift of the top six after winning just one of their last 13 matches.
    The Tigers admit that it has been a difficult decision to part with Barmby.
    "The club sincerely hopes that its fans will recognise that the decision to dismiss Nick was not taken lightly," the club statement continued.
    "The decision was taken following meetings with Nick where he had every opportunity to state his case and make representations.
    "The club feels that it has treated Nick entirely fairly and in the same way that it would have treated any other employee in the same situation.

"Having been prepared to give Nick his first opportunity in football management, and for it to end like this, has been a particular disappointment to the board.
    "Notwithstanding the circumstances of this "parting of the ways" the board wish Nick every success in his future career and thank him for the service he has provided to the club since his return to his home town in 2004.
    "The club can confirm that the search for a new manager will begin immediately."
    Barmby is appealing against his sacking and hit out at the club for making public their reasons for his dismissal.
    In a statement issued via the League Managers' Association, Barmby said: "I am obviously hugely disappointed to have been dismissed.

"I maintain that my sacking was entirely without justification. In everything I have done for the club I have always acted in the best interests of Hull City.
    "I was told today that I had seven days within which to submit an appeal against my dismissal, and yet the club has now made an official statement, on behalf of the board, stating publicly the alleged reasons for my dismissal and indicating that the search for a new manager will begin immediately.
    "I nevertheless intend to appeal. As the matter is subject to an appeal and, if necessary, legal proceedings, it would not be appropriate for me to make any further comment at this stage, despite the fact that the club has seen fit to go public with its version of events."
    He added: "I would like to pay tribute to the supporters, players and staff of Hull City Football Club for the huge support they have given me throughout my time at the club, and if my appeal should not be successful I would like to wish the club all the best for the future."

Uploads

Assou-Ekotto: Considering his options

ASSOU-EKOTTO CONSIDERS SPURS EXIT

Benoit Assou-Ekotto has stunned Tottenham by admitting he could leave White Hart Lane this summer as part of a gentleman's agreement with chairman Daniel Levy.
    Assou-Ekotto has been one of Spurs' most consistent performers this season, helping the Londoners climb to fourth in the Barclays Premier League table with one match of the season remaining.
    The Cameroon international, who joined the club in 2006, played in every one of the club's league games until he dislocated his shoulder against QPR last month.
    Manager Harry Redknapp has constantly sang the full-back's praises, but it seems the 28-year-old could leave the club at the end of the season.
    "Everything is possible," Assou-Ekotto told France Football.
    "When I met my chairman last January, he told me that if a club bigger than Tottenham came for me, it (the club) would not necessarily be against a departure.

"With my chairman, there was a gentleman's agreement. As he is a man of his word, I hope it will make things easier if a great club comes in.
    "If there is a change at Tottenham - some more money is made available maybe - I wouldn't be against the idea of staying, but otherwise I'll try to move forward, as I did when I left Lens."
    In ordinary circumstances, Tottenham would be guaranteed a place in the Champions League if they ended the season in the fourth position they currently occupy.
    But Chelsea's passage through to the Champions League final means Redknapp's team will only qualify for the Europa League if the Blues beat Bayern Munich on May 19 and Spurs fail to move ahead of Arsenal into third this weekend.
    Assou-Ekotto, it appears, would not be content at a club who are not playing in Europe's premier competition next term.
    "All players want to play this competition," he said.

"A few months ago, I said I never wanted to participate in the Europa League, because this competition is useless.
    "If I have to leave Tottenham, it will be to join a club that makes the Champions League.
    "Spain, Italy, Germany, wherever. The grass is green everywhere!"
    Meanwhile, Redknapp has told Spurs he wants them to act "boldly" in the transfer market this summer.
    The 65-year-old looks set to remain at White Hart Lane after missing out on the England job and hopes to sign up to three top-class players as well as hold on to the likes of Gareth Bale and Luka Modric, who have been attracting interest from Europe's top clubs.
    Redknapp has been linked with highly-rated Lille midfielder Eden Hazard and Ajax's talented centre-half Jan Vertonghen.
    Vertonghen has just one year left on his current deal and appears keen on a switch to the north London club.
    The 25-year-old told De Telegraaf newspaper: "The board is asking for a large amount for a player who is only contracted for another year.
    "I trust that Ajax and Spurs can turn water into wine and sort it out soon.

"I owe a lot to Ajax but I have always given my heart and soul.
    "My appreciation for the club and fans is great and it would be terrible if my farewell was marred by Ajax sticking to a great price.
    "Of course I want Ajax to gain financially but the amount Tottenham are willing to pay - perhaps with a little extra - is very reasonable."
    Vertonghen believes he would fit in nicely at Spurs, adding: "Tottenham is a fantastic football club.
    "Ajax was the perfect club for me, but Spurs will be very close in nearing that already. They buy young, eager and offensive-minded players."

Uploads

Andy Hessenthaler: Offered place on board

HESSENTHALER STEPS DOWN AS GILLS BOSS

Andy Hessenthaler has stepped down as manager of Gillingham after failing to guide them into the npower League Two play-offs.
    The 46-year-old, in his second spell in charge at the Priestfield Stadium, had his contract terminated on Tuesday afternoon following a meeting with chairman Paul Scally.

He has, however, been offered a place on the board and a football development role at the club where he also spent 10 years as a player.
    A club statement read: "The chairman would like to thank Andy for all his hard work and effort over the past two years and both he and Andy, while disappointed the club has not achieved its aims this season or last, want nothing but success for the club going forward.
    "Given the huge and invaluable contribution Andy has made to the club, the chairman has asked him to consider joining the board as a full company director in a role that would assume responsibility and oversee all club football development, scouting, recruitment and all other football related matters.

"Andy has agreed to consider this offer over the next few days.
    "In light of the above, (coach) Nicky Southall will be leaving the club forthwith. We wish him every success in the future."
    Gillingham finished in eighth place this season, two points outside the play-off spots.

Uploads

Eden Hazard: Linked with both Manchester clubs

EDEN HAZARD COY ON FUTURE

Eden Hazard is refusing to confirm which club he would like to play for next season after indicating he could wear either red or blue.
    The 21-year-old Lille midfielder had already openly stated his intention to move to the Premier League amid speculation linking him with Europe's top clubs.
    And that has led to reports of a bidding war between Manchester City and Manchester United.
    Both clubs were represented when Lille played Paris St Germain last month with United scout Martin Ferguson, brother of manager Sir Alex, watching alongside Patrick Vieira, City's football development executive.

And when Canal+ mischievously asked whether Hazard prefers red or blue, the question drew a non-committal response from the Belgium international.
    "I like both," he replied. "They're both nice colours. I think they both suit me."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast