Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 11-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 11-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 11-05-2012

Alessandro Nesta: Leaving AC Milan

NESTA TO LEAVE AC MILAN

AC Milan's World Cup-winning defender Alessandro Nesta has confirmed he will quit the Serie A side at the end of the season.
    The 36-year-old has been with the Rossoneri for 10 years but will leave after the final home against Novara on Sunday when his contract expires.
    Speculation is rife that the 78-times capped Italy centre-half intends to join MLS side New York Red Bulls but while Nesta said he would like to play in the United States, he refused to confirm a move.

Nesta, who has previously denied he will move to Juventus, said: "This is my last season at Milan.
    "I have taken stock, and the rhythm of Serie A, the Champions League and the Italian Cup meant I couldn't play all the time.
    "It doesn't suit me to sit on the bench and if I don't feel important I prefer to stay at home."
    As regards playing in the United States, he said: "I'd go gladly. It would be a wonderful experience. I'd gladly go across the Atlantic but as long as nothing has been signed I'm saying nothing.

"And there are other great and interesting opportunities like that one."
    Nesta started his playing career with Lazio and captained the Rome side to the Serie A title in 2000 before heading for Milan in 2002.
    With the Rossoneri he won the Serie A title in 2004 and 2011, two Champions League titles in 2003 and 2007, and the Club World Cup in 2007.
    He was also in the side that lost the Champions League final in 2005 to Liverpool despite Milan leading 3-0 at half-time.
    But his career has been plagued by injuries since Italy's triumphant 2006 World Cup campaign in Germany.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 11-05-2012

Dick Advocaat: Returning to PSV Eindhoven

ADVOCAAT CONFIRMED AS PSV COACH

Dick Advocaat has been appointed head coach of PSV Eindhoven on a one-year deal, the Eredivisie club have announced.
    The 64-year-old, who will step down as Russia coach after Euro 2012, will take up his post with PSV from July 1 onwards.
    Advocaat returns to the club he coached between 1995 and 1998, having led them to the league title during the 1996/97 season.
    "PSV wanted to attract an elite coach in Dick Advocaat and he was enthusiastic about joining PSV," the club's technical director Marcel Brands said on www.psv.nl.

"His decision to join PSV, despite very lucrative financial offers from Russia, strengthens our confidence in this cooperation.
    "He knows the club from a previous spell here and sees great potential in the squad of players.
    "Advocaat is also looking forward to working with a number of young assistants, who also had a successful past as a player under him at PSV."
    PSV have been without a full-time coach since sacking Fred Rutten in March.

Assistants Phillip Cocu and Ernst Faber were placed in charge until the end of the season and guided PSV to a third-placed finish in the league plus victory in the KNVB Beker final over Heracles Almelo.
    Reports in Holland suggest Advocaat's arrival will help pave the way for either Cocu or Faber to take over permanently once his contract has ended.

Uploads

Slaven Bilic: Last championship in charge

SLAVEN BILIC TO LEAVE CROATIA JOB

Slaven Bilic has announced he will step down as coach of Croatia's national team after Euro 2012.
    The 43-year-old confirmed the news at a press conference on Thursday to unveil a provisional 27-man squad for the tournament in Poland and Ukraine.
    Bilic took charge of Croatia in July 2006 and led the team to the quarter-finals at Euro 2008, although they failed to qualify for the World Cup two years later.

However, the former West Ham and Everton defender has now decided this summer's European Championship will be his swansong.
    "This will be my last championship in charge," he said. "I've given my best and I thank you all, but the hardest job is still ahead of me.
    "I wish my successor all the happiness in the world and hope to leave him some continuity."
    Bilic was unwilling to discuss reports linking him with the managerial post at Lokomotiv Moscow.
    "I'm sure you never comment on speculation or rumours so I will not comment on the story of Lokomotiv Moscow. When something happens, I will announce it."

Bilic's immediate concern is Euro 2012, where Croatia will face defending champions Spain, Italy and Republic of Ireland in the group stage.
    The most surprising absentees from his squad were Bolton striker Ivan Klasnic and Hamburg forward Mladen Petric, and Bilic admits it was not an easy decision to omit the pair.
    "It was difficult not to call up Petric and Klasnic, but it's part of the job," he said. "They are both quality players.
    "I called them both as they deserved to hear the decision directly from me.
    "Unfortunately for these two, the greatest competition for places is in attack and there was simply no room for them."
    Croatia's campaign begins against the Irish on June 10. The squad will be trimmed down to 23 players before May 28.

Provisional squad
    Goalkeepers: Stipe Pletikosa (Rostov), Danijel Subasic (Monaco), Ivan Kelava (Dinamo Zagreb), Goran Blazevic (Hajduk Split).
    Defenders: Domogoj Vida (Dinamo Zagreb), Vedran Corluka (Bayer Leverkusen), Josip Simunic (Dinamo Zagreb), Dejan Lovren (Lyon), Sime Vrsaljko (Dinamo Zagreb), Gordon Schildenfeld (Eintracht Frankfurt), Ivan Strinic (Dnipro), Danijel Pranjic (Bayern Munich), Jurica Buljat (Maccabi Haifa).
    Midfielders: Darijo Srna (Shakhtar Donetsk), Tomislav Dujmovic (Real Zaragoza), Ognjen Vukojevic (Dynamo Kiev), Ivan Rakitic (Sevilla), Luka Modric (Tottenham), Ivan Perisic (Borussia Dortmund), Niko Kranjcar (Tottenham), Milan Badelj (Dinamo Zagreb), Ivo Ilicevic (Hamburg).
    Forwards: Ivica Olic (Bayern Munich), Nikica Jelavic (Everton), Mario Mandzukic (Wolfsburg), Eduardo da Silva (Shakhtar Donetsk), Nikola Kalinic (Dnipro).

Uploads

Pat Fenlon: Focused on Scottish Cup final

FENLON PUTS OFF HIBS SQUAD TALKS

Manager Pat Fenlon is set to wait until after the William Hill Scottish Cup final to reform his Hibernian squad.
    Fenlon has been preoccupied with Hibs' fight for Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League survival, something which was confirmed only by Monday's 4-0 win over Dunfermline which relegated the Pars, and focus now turns to the May 19 Scottish Cup final with Hearts.
    It is the first all-Edinburgh final since 1896, with Hibs seeking to win the trophy for the first time in 110 years.
    Eight loan players have reinforced Hibs' squad and Fenlon is keen to sign some on a permanent deal, with James McPake of Coventry and Leigh Griffiths of Wolves among those who have impressed at Easter Road.

"In most cases I would think it would be after the cup final that we'll sit down and talk to people," Fenlon said.
    "There's a few in there that have come in and done really well and we'd love to tie down, but they're at clubs and most of them have contracts left.
    "It's a matter of getting down to the nitty gritty and talking to people."
    Talks over transfers and with those players out of contract were on hold while Hibs were seeking to preserve their top-flight status.
    "We had so much at stake that I just didn't get around to that," Fenlon added.
    "Over the next couple of weeks we're going to have to do that. People need to know where they stand.
    "We need to strengthen the squad. We've got some very, very good players here and if we can add more quality and experience, I think that will help everyone.

"We have a number that we think we require and that will mean people leaving the club.
    "We have a massive game coming up that we need to stay focused on so until that's out of the way we'll park all that."
    Fenlon declined to comment on the cup final while the possibility of relegation remained but was relaxed in discussing the Hampden clash ahead of Saturday's trip to Inverness.
    Asked about how challenging it has been to keep the players' minds off the final, Fenlon said: "It's been impossible since we won the semi-final, particularly when Hearts won the next day.
    "We knew Dunfermline was a big game and I honestly believe it was a bigger game than the cup final for us. I still think that.
    "We're delighted we've got it out the way and we can be a little bit more relaxed now that we don't have that hanging over us."
    McPake (groin), Tom Soares (Achilles), Pa Kujabi (hamstring) and Jorge Claros (foot) are unlikely to be risked at Inverness and set to join Danny Galbraith (groin) and Graham Stack (thigh) in missing out.

Griffiths and David Wotherspoon are available again following suspension, though, and Fenlon, despite anticipating changes, hopes to carry the momentum from successive wins into the Inverness clash and the final with Hearts.
    "We will plan to change one or two around," Fenlon added.
    "We want to go and try to win the game as well, so it's important we put a team out that are capable of getting a result up there."
    Club captain Ian Murray could be given a chance, with his contract set to expire this summer.
    Murray has been a peripheral figure this season following a hip injury and his second spell at Hibs could come to an end following the cup final.

Uploads

Ross Forbes: Moving on

FORBES TO LEAVE FIR PARK

Motherwell midfielder Ross Forbes has revealed he will leave Fir Park this summer.
    The 23-year-old has made only six appearances this season, half of those from the bench.
    Forbes made a significant impact when he first came broke through under Jim Gannon, scoring nine goals in his first season but has been used increasingly sparingly in recent months.

Forbes, who has made 75 appearances for the club, told STV: "The club aren't giving me a new contract and I can't really complain.
    "They have been excellent this season and got to the Champions League, so I can't argue with the decision.
    "It might be a good thing for me as well - maybe I need a change. I have no bad feelings about it and it's time for a fresh start.
    "I've had a great time at Motherwell and I'm leaving with my head held high. I'm looking forward to being involved against Dundee United on Sunday in my last game."

The news comes a day after club captain Stephen Craigan announced his retirement.
    Craigan's former centre-back partner, Mark Reynolds, believes his influence at the club will only be felt in full when he has gone.
    Reynolds, now on loan at Aberdeen from Sheffield Wednesday, said: "There are some guys in football who only have their own interests in mind but he was very different.

"The way it worked at Motherwell was the defenders would train together and in my 200 games I played with the club the majority of them were with Craggs - we built up a good understanding and formed a stable core at the back.
    "He's been somewhat of an unsung hero at the club. You often only read about defender's when they're making mistakes but he is the ultimate professional, he does everything right and I honestly believe that the Motherwell fans won't appreciate what they've got until he leaves the club.
    "He's a big positive influence on the dressing room and his knowledge of the game is fantastic."

Uploads

Stale Solbakken: Set for Wolves job

SOLBAKKEN TO GET WOLVES JOB

Stale Solbakken is expected to be named the new manager of Wolves today, Sky Sports sources understand.
    Reports on Thursday emerged from Scandinavia that the former Norway international was in England for talks.
    These have since proved to be true and Sky Sports now understands that the relegated club will unveil Solbakken on Friday.
    It is understood that Terry Connor, who stepped up to take charge of the first team following Mick McCarthy's sacking earlier in the season, will revert to his previous role as coach.

The one-time Wimbledon midfielder began his coaching career as boss of Norwegian side Ham-Kam before taking charge of Copenhagen in 2006 where he achieved a great deal of success.
    His work at Copenhagen saw him land a move to the Bundesliga with Cologne, but he was sacked by them in April this year and just weeks later they were relegated.

Uploads

Paulo Sergio: In talks over his future

SERGIO DECISION SET FOR JUNE

The future of Hearts manager Paulo Sergio may not be clear until June, with director Sergejus Fedotovas describing discussions as "a work in progress".
    Portuguese Sergio, who succeeded Jim Jefferies last August, is out of contract at the end of the season which he hopes to conclude with a fifth-placed finish in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League and victory in the William Hill Scottish Cup final.
    Hearts play at SPL champions Celtic on Sunday seeking to clinch Europa League football ahead of St Johnstone, who host Rangers, before turning their attentions to Hibernian at Hampden on May 19 and the first all-Edinburgh Scottish Cup final since 1896.

"We are having discussions at the moment," Fedotovas told the Edinburgh Evening News.
    "We are in the midst of going through a number of things, reviewing our budget and speaking to Paulo Sergio.
    "We are looking at options, looking at what are his preferences and trying to find the best solution. It is a work in progress.
    "We are really keen to find a solution and to find a deal. It's about timing.
    "We have discussed that, in his interests and in our interests, it is some time in June that we need to take a final decision.
    "That is the time when it is important for both parties to come to some sort of solution."

Uploads

Josh Magennis: New deal done

MAGENNIS EXTENDS ABERDEEN DEAL

Northern Ireland international Josh Magennis has signed a one-year contract extension at Aberdeen, the Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League club have confirmed.
    The versatile 21-year-old, who began his career as a goalkeeper, has made more than 60 appearances, scoring five goals, since moving to Pittodrie in 2010.
    A statement on the club's official website read: "Aberdeen's Josh Magennis has signed a new deal to keep him at Pittodrie for the next 12 months.

"The 21-year-old, who joined from Cardiff City as a striker two years ago, has played at right-back in recent matches, a position manager Craig Brown believes could end up being his preferred one."

Uploads

Jim Jefferies: Staying at Dunfermline

JIM JEFFERIES: I WON'T JUMP SHIP

Jim Jefferies has no qualms about staying at Dunfermline next season to try to help the Fifers battle back to the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
    The Pars boss was appointed as Jim McIntyre's successor in March when the East End Park side were struggling but ultimately he could not help them avoid the drop, their fate confirmed against relegation rivals Hibernian on Monday night when they were beaten 4-0 at Easter Road.
    Jefferies has spent much of his managerial career in the top flight but he is not about to jump ship and, indeed, is relishing the challenge of the First Division.

"I knew that (relegation) could be the scenario," he said. "It's easy to say I will come in and do your eight games and if I can't help you I will walk away.
    "But that was no good to me. Eight games wasn't the challenge.
    "I would still love to be in the SPL but on the other side, there will be a freshness and a challenge playing against clubs who have in the past been in the SPL.
    "So it is not a major issue for me. I will try to help the club get back up and that is the challenge."
    Jefferies has to wait until next Tuesday before he discovers how many players he will be able to keep for next season.
    There are 14 players coming to the end of their contracts but they will have to sweat over the weekend.
    "I had a word with the group this morning and I assured them that I haven't made any decisions," said the former Hearts and Kilmarnock manager.

"I am not in a position to because I can't sit down with the board until next Tuesday.
    "We might have the scenario where the board might want to start afresh and concentrate on younger players and get the wage bill down.
    "That might make it tougher and it might take one or two years to come up but they might say they might be better keeping the majority of the squad because they have proved they can do well in that division.
    "I won't know that until we sit down.
    "I will meet players at staggered times, maybe next Thursday and Friday, and let them know who will be in or not.
    "I told the boys that if someone has made an approach to them and they want to go then, out of courtesy, just let me know. Don't feel bad about it, just let me know.

"I have lost players to freedom of contract and I pick them up that way. It is swings and roundabouts."
    The Fifers finish off their campaign with a home match against Kilmarnock on Saturday and Jefferies will use the game to give some of his youngsters experience.
    He said: "Killie are a good side and have had a fantastic season but I am going to use this match for the benefit of us.
    "We will try to finish with a win but there are one or two young boys who will get the chance to play."

Uploads

Gareth Bale: Wouldn't turn down a move to the Nou Camp

REDKNAPP RUBBISHES EXODUS TALK

Harry Redknapp insists there will be no mass exodus of Tottenham's stars this summer even if they fail to secure Champions League football.
    Tottenham go into Sunday's season-finale knowing a win over Fulham will secure them fourth place in the Barclays Premier League.
    Under normal circumstances that would guarantee Redknapp's team a place in the Champions League, but should Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in the European Cup final a week on Saturday, Spurs will have to settle for a place in the Europa League - a competition the Tottenham boss has never hidden his disdain for.
    Gareth Bale has said he will consider his future at Spurs if they are not in Europe's top club competition next season, but Redknapp insists the Welshman, and other stars like Luka Modric, will remain at White Hart Lane regardless of whether they qualify or not.
    "That idea gets a bit over-hyped," Redknapp said.

"When they [Bale and Modric] came to Tottenham, they weren't in the Champions League. When Luka Modric came here they were nowhere near.
    "He didn't come here because they were in the Champions League, he came here because they were a good club, he was on decent money and had a chance to play in the Premier League.
    "Are you telling me people aren't going to sign for Chelsea next year if they don't win the Champions League?
    "Of course they will. If they are paid the right money and get the right contract, they are going to a fantastic club in London.
    "They will still go to Chelsea, they will still go to Liverpool because it is a great club and they will still come to Tottenham because it's a great club."
    Spurs fought a ferocious battle with Chelsea last summer to keep hold of Modric despite the Blues submitting a 40million bid for the playmaker.
    Speculation has already begun about Bale's future, with two Spanish newspapers this week claiming the 22-year-old winger is set for a move to Barcelona.
    The former Southampton player admits he would never be able to turn down the Catalan giants, but Redknapp dismissed claims a deal had already been struck to sell the player for 40 million euros, as was reported in Spain on Friday.
    "I don't know anything about (that story)," Redknapp added.

"I wouldn't think there is the slightest bit of truth in that. Not a chance, I wouldn't have thought.
    "You have got to keep your best players. If you don't then where are you going? You can forget about Champions League football in the future if you sell them and they [Bale and Modric] are two of them."
    There is still a chance that Tottenham can qualify automatically for the Champions League.
    The Londoners will leapfrog Arsenal in to third if they beat Fulham and the Gunners drop points at West Brom on what promises to be a tense final day of the season.
    At one point in January Tottenham were within touching distance of the top of the table, but a terrible run of one win in nine matches saw them slip out of contention for their first title in 51 years.
    Despite this, Redknapp insists Spurs' season should be viewed as a success, regardless of whether they make the Champions League or not.
    The 65-year-old added: "If we can finish third it would be great. But if we finish fourth it would still be a great achievement. "We would have taken that at the beginning of the season.

"We haven't finished above Chelsea too many times since the Premier League started.
    "We will finish above Liverpool and we will have done that for the past couple of years now.
    "Sunday will be a big day. We just have to concentrate on ourselves and get the three points."
    Redknapp admits he has a "big problem" at left-back for Sunday's game, with Benoit Assou-Ekotto out due to a shoulder injury and back-up Danny Rose missing through suspension.
    Scott Parker is also doubt with the Achilles injury that has kept him out of the starting line-up for the last three games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast