Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 13-05-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 13-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 13-05-2012

Hulk: Could be set for Porto exit

Hulk is expected to make a big-money move from Porto after his agent insisted now is the time for the striker to be sold.
    The Brazil international is one of the most sought-after players in Europe after starring for Porto as they claimed back-to-back titles.
    And after much speculation in recent transfer windows, the 25-year-old finally appears set to leave the Portuguese champions, according to his agent Teodoro Fonseca.

"I have no doubts," Fonseca told Portuguese radio station Antena 1. "After four seasons at Porto, this is the moment to sell the footballer.
    "Today he is the player with the most offers in all of Europe and I think this is the moment to study the situation calmly.
    "The kid is calm but prepared for the move to a big foreign club.
    "Porto have valued Hulk at 100million euros but I believe this will not be a problem.
    "For any club, Hulk provides goals, pleasure and titles and those are priceless."

In contrast, it appears Porto defender Rolando will be staying at the club after expressing his intention to remain as long as he is wanted.
    The Portugal international told newspaper A Jogo: "I am very content at Porto. I think that I have the chance to play more minutes so I prefer to stay at the club.
    "If the coach and the directors want me, I am 100 per cent willing."
    The 26-year-old had been linked with a summer move to the Premier League, while Russian club Anzhi were interested in January.
    But Rolando reiterated his desire to win trophies in Portugal.

"I signed a deal with Porto and my dream is to win titles there," added Rolando.
    "The only way I could accept an exit is if the directors did not think I was able to contribute to the team.
    "Never have I decided to leave. But in the world of football it is not possible to give a definite answer from day-to-day."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 13-05-2012

Alex McLeish: Looking to boost Villa's squad

Under-fire manager Alex McLeish admits Aston Villa will look to sign more quality players this summer after a season of underachievement.
    Villa only made sure of their Barclays Premier League status for another campaign after last weekend's 1-1 home draw with Tottenham.
    McLeish has struggled to win over the Villa fans after his controversial switch from Birmingham and knows there has to be an improvement in fortunes.
    He said: "It's about getting more quality in the squad and getting a team that can get further up that table and a team that wants to win badly.
    "We need to get a winning mentality. That's what we'll try and change.

"I am anticipating change this summer. We have to bring in some added quality to the squad.
    "If you look at the back-up this season, we could have easily been four or five players short of real quality and experience.
    "We can certainly look to make sure next season is a more productive season than this one."
    McLeish, whose side visit Norwich tomorrow, knows the expectation levels of Villa supporters but points to a lengthy injury list, including 18 million record signing Darren Bent, in mitigation.
    He said: "We have underachieved for Aston Villa in terms of past history and in terms of the name Aston Villa.

"People expect us higher up the table. This is not the Aston Villa team of 1982 (when they won the European Cup) and people have to realise that.
    "But sometimes there are reasons for that not being the case and losing four or five players at crucial moments of the season has not helped.
    "We have missed Darren Bent for 19 games now. I would have expected four or five goals in those games at least which would have made things more comfortable for us."
    McLeish is full of admiration for Norwich boss Paul Lambert who played under him at Motherwell.
    He said: "Paul has had that squad together for two or three years and they have jumped up the divisions with great ease.
    "He has done a fantastic job. He's got his team playing together and they've got a great understanding from being together for a long time, which helps any team to progress."
    McLeish believes the negative reaction towards him does not prevail through all sections of the club's fanbase.
    He said: "I don't believe that it's a giant contingent of fans. I believe it's a silent majority out there.
    "I certainly think the fans have been really, really good this season.

"They have reacted as I would expect any fan in the world to react when their team loses a game.
    "I don't think there's anything more negative about our fans than any other fans."
    Striker Emile Heskey and defender Carlos Cuellar are likely to make their final appearances for Villa after indicating they will be leaving this summer when their contracts expire.

Diego Forlan: Could exit Inter Milan

Inter Milan have confirmed Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro have made "a proposal" to sign striker Diego Forlan.
    The Uruguay international switched to the San Siro from Atletico Madrid over the summer but has only scored two goals in an injury-hit campaign.
    While insisting he wanted to stay at the club only last month, Brazilian outfit Mineiro have made an approach for the player.
    Inter director Marco Branca told Uol Esporte: "It's true, we received a proposal from Atletico Mineiro for Forlan.

"We are in talks, but I cannot give any other information at this time.
    "Forlan is considering this possibility, but nothing is decided yet.
    "We are talking about it, but this is a complicated negotiation."

Terry struck to score Chelsea's opener against Blackburn

Roberto Di Matteo insists he will have "no problem" if winning the Champions League fails to convince Chelsea to give him the manager's job full-time.
    Caretaker boss Di Matteo gave his clearest hint yet that he does not expect owner Roman Abramovich to keep him on beyond the end of the season following Sunday afternoon's Barclays Premier League win over Blackburn.
    The 2-1 victory at Stamford Bridge could be Di Matteo's final home game at the helm and although he gave little away in his post-match lap of honour, his press conference was a different matter.

Asked if he thought the outcome of Saturday's Champions League final would determine whether he was at the club next season, Di Matteo said: "I don't think so, no, but I have no problem with it."
    Di Matteo added of the lap of honour: "We've had a very intense nine weeks here together and it's been fantastic.
    "And we are all looking forward to next Saturday as well.
    "It's been very emotional because I feel very responsible with this club because I've played here, I've been part of it, so it's been a nice day."

Di Matteo's chances of going out on a high next weekend could depend on whether defenders David Luiz and Gary Cahill win their battles to recover from hamstring injuries.
    The Italian revealed that fight would "probably" go right up to the day of the game.

Ally McCoist:

Ally McCoist is hopeful he will still be Rangers manager next season after a consortium fronted by Charles Green had an offer for the club accepted by administrators.
    McCoist held brief talks with the former Sheffield United chief executive on Saturday night after the group moved into pole position for a takeover of the stricken Glasgow giants.
    And, after what he described as the "darkest season in the club's history", McCoist is relishing the prospect of being able to focus totally on football matters next term.
    Asked if he had been assured of his own position by Green, McCoist said: "Yes - I hope that's what I was reading from the conversation!
    "I'd imagine I would have discussions in the next 48 hours with Charles, but it will help me hopefully in terms of being able to plan games for pre-season and maybe a pre-season trip.

"But the most important thing is we have to find out who will be here next season and whether we will be able to add to that squad.
    "The next 48 hours will hopefully go a long way to finding out the answers to some of those questions."
    McCoist has become the figurehead of the club since administrators Duff and Phelps were appointed in February.
    He added: "It would be great just to get back to answering questions about football because that's what we all do and that's what we love doing.
    "The whole season has been absolutely bizarre.

"Nobody could have predicted or forecast what has happened this season. Hopefully it is now past us and we can start building again for the future.
    "I would have to say it's probably the darkest season in the club's history in terms of the administration.
    "We have had greater disasters which have affected people, but in terms of the club going into administration, it would have to be the blackest season yet."
    McCoist has so far been unable to offer players new contracts and also faces the prospect of not being able to sign players over the age of 17 if Rangers lose this week's appeal against a Scottish Football Association 12-month transfer embargo.
    And the Light Blues boss believes Green is fully aware of the urgency to get players tied down as soon as possible.
    He said: "He understands, he has done due diligence on the club and knows the precarious situation we are in in terms of players possibly leaving.
    "Just as important is the possibility of players not being able to come. But let's not kid ourselves, we are still in a very tricky situation here."
    Rangers already suffered one setback when American tycoon Bill Miller withdrew his offer just days after being named the preferred bidder.
    And McCoist is viewing the latest developments with cautious optimism.

He said: "There is a lot of hard work to be done and we are not anywhere near out of the woods yet.
    "There is still a lot of work to be done for the deal to be totally clinched.
    "But it's a step nearer and it's a step that had to be taken so I'm delighted about that. There is relief that we are stepping in the right direction.
    "I remain very hopeful that the big step is taken and the club is handed over totally.
    "That day will be one of relief, but I am certainly pleased with the progress that has been made, without doubt."
    Rangers ended the Clydesdale Bank Premier League season with a 4-0 win at St Johnstone, which meant McCoist has not yet had the opportunity to speak to his contacts in the game about the club's prospective new owner.

He said: "I have been too busy preparing for the game. That's been the most important thing for me, to get the team ready for today's game.
    "Obviously this morning's news was wonderful, but at the same time I have a job to do in terms of preparing the team."

Emmerson Boyce scored a rare brace for Wigan

Manager Roberto Martinez admits he is happy to be linked to jobs at bigger clubs but insists there is still work to do at Wigan.
    The latest speculation suggests the Spaniard, who masterminded the Latics' Barclays Premier League survival from a seemingly-doomed position and signed off with a 3-2 home win over Wolves, is being considered by Liverpool's owners.
    Despite winning the Carling Cup, Kenny Dalglish's side have had a disappointing season in the league and their last-day defeat at Swansea meant they finished eighth, above Fulham only on goal difference.
    But far from viewing it as a distraction, Martinez, who turned down a move to Aston Villa last summer, takes it as recognition of his achievements at the DW Stadium.

"There is another manager in that club, no?" he said when asked about the Liverpool link, adding that he had also seen his name associated with Barcelona.
    "When you get stories linking clubs with your players or in this case with a manager, it must be because you have done something right.
    "We cannot control speculation and I am not going to lie to you, I like the speculation.
    "I see it as a real compliment. Speculation will follow a team - you get good speculation and bad speculation.
    "The speculation I don't like is when it suggests you are going to lose your job after a couple of defeats.
    "I am proud and happy that the club are attracting a lot of good headlines and stories.
    "We always need to be prepared that whatever happens is for the good of the club.

"We need to make sure we carry on with the progress we have been making in the last few years, not just on the pitch but off it.
    "That is all I am bothered about; working hard and making sure the chairman is a proud man when he assesses his football club."
    On the game itself Martinez was pleased by the response of his players, who secured an eighth successive season in the top flight with victory over Blackburn on Monday.

Matt Jarvis had put the visitors ahead but quick goals from Franco di Santo and Emmerson Boyce turned things around, and when Boyce volleyed home spectacularly in the second half it put the result beyond Wolves despite Steven Fletcher's late consolation.
    "I said before the game I wanted it to be a celebration and it was just that," added the Latics boss.
    "On top of that we had a very good performance. It would have been easy to accept the drop in the standards and finish with a defeat.
    "Wolves came with freedom and they attacked the game and that made it an open affair with plenty of chances."
    Wolves caretaker manager Terry Connor will hand over control to new boss Stale Solbakken on Monday and he admitted the game had summed up the relegated side's campaign.

"It was a frustrating way to sign off. It encapsulated the whole season and the reason why we have not been able to stay in the league," he said.
    "We had plenty of honest endeavour and commitment and no lack of attacking flair but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot by making mistakes as individuals.
    "For the first goal we lost possession in the wrong area and the second goal was from a set-play from which everyone has their markers and should do better.
    "It is really frustrating that even today the lads continued to give everything for the good of the team but have not been good enough to win."

Gareth Bale: Linked with Tottenham exit

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy insists none of the club's top players will be leaving White Hart Lane this summer.
    Levy fought a protracted battle with Chelsea last summer to keep star playmaker Luka Modric at the north London club and speculation is rife that the Croatian, and winger Gareth Bale, will be the subject of strong interest again this summer.
    Bale added fuel to the rumours linking him with Barcelona earlier this month when he declared he would consider his future if Spurs failed to make the Champions League, while Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has spoken in glowing terms about Modric.
    Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp insists the club will end up going backwards if they sell their top players and Levy agrees.
    The Spurs chairman wrote in his end of season address to supporters: "Our squad has top players at all levels and we shall continue to seek stability and to retain key players this summer and beyond.

"We are a club that is focusing on growth and moving forward."
    Spurs finished fourth in the Barclays Premier League after beating Fulham 2-0 at home in their season finale at White Hart Lane on Sunday.
    Ordinarily, that would ensure Champions League qualification, but that will not be the case if Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in the European Cup final on Saturday.
    Levy insists this has been a progressive season, however, given that Spurs finished fifth last term.
    "Today will see the final league positions of several clubs decided, ourselves amongst them," Levy continued.
    "We may, however, find that we still have to wait on the outcome of the Champions League final next weekend to know in which European competition we shall be competing.

"It is a mark of our progress and the quality of our squad that each season we now look and expect to be competing at the top of our game.
    "Once again we have seen football played at home and away which has shown our brand and style of play around the world and led our competitors to describe us as the most entertaining team in the Premier League."
    Tottenham have undergone an eventful season off the pitch as well as on it.
    Redknapp underwent a heart procedure in November and successfully defended himself in court against two charges of tax evasion, while White Hart Lane witnessed the horrific on-pitch cardiac arrest of Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba in March.
    "We are grateful for the positive outcome on all these matters," Levy added.

This season has also seen Tottenham make progress in their plans to build a new stadium adjacent to their current home in north London after failing in their bid to take over the Olympic Stadium.
    "With a commitment to invest in the area around the stadium from the Mayor and Haringey Council, an investment of some 90m in land and planning by the club and with planning applications granted, we are now pushing ahead with what is widely acknowledged to be the single most important development capable of delivering social change in the area - an iconic new stadium at the heart of a true sport-led regeneration scheme, delivering new homes, shops, restaurants, jobs and opportunities," Levy added.
    "The scale of demolition around the stadium should leave no one in any doubt as to our intent to forge ahead with this project and we shall devote our full attention and energies to it."

Georges Leekens: Takes Club Brugge job

Belgium coach Georges Leekens has stepped down from the role to take over at Club Brugge.
    The 62-year-old has signed a three-year contract to succeed Christoph Daum at Jan Breydelstadion, the Jupiler League club confirmed.
    Leekens has been in charge of the national team since May 2010, leading the country to third place in Group A behind Germany and Turkey in qualifying for Euro 2012.

Club Brugge have qualified for the Champions League qualifying round next season.
    The former defender spent nine years at the club as a player. This will be his second spell there as a coach.