Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 15-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 15-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 15-05-2012

Robin van Persie: Set for talks this week

AGENT QUIET OVER RVP TALKS

Robin van Persie's representatives have refused to talk about their negotiations with Arsenal, with the Dutch star set to meet the Gunners this week.
    Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus are all being linked with the Premier League's top-scorer - who has just 12 months left on his current deal.
    The 28-year-old striker said after being named Footballer of the Year he would be meeting with manager Arsene Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis to talk over his future.

Initial talks are set to take place on Wednesday, with his suitors keeping close tabs on the situation.
    Kees Vos, who is one of the lead agents for SEG - who look after Van Persie - insisted that he would not divulge information about the talks.
    Vos said: "We're keeping our negotiations confidential. I have been to a lot of Premier League games this season - including City ones.
    "I watch a lot of players, my life does not revolve around Robin van Persie," he told Goal.com.
    It is believed Arsenal's Champions League qualification could help them tie Van Persie down to a new deal and the Dutchman is delighted to have claimed third place.

"It was double important to finish third and also above Spurs. We knew what was at stake," he told Arsenal's official website.
    "It is just a fantastic feeling again to be ahead of Spurs. We heard that they won, but it doesn't really matter because we won our game.
    "We are definitely in the Champions League again, and that was the main target."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 15-05-2012

Steve Kean: At centre of internet storm

STEVE KEAN IN ALLARDYCE CLIP STORM

Steve Kean was at the centre of an internet storm after a video emerged which appeared to show the Blackburn manager making disparaging remarks about predecessor Sam Allardyce.
    The four-minute clip, which appeared on YouTube and on the website of a Rovers fan group named BRFC Action Group, was apparently filmed during a tour of the far east last summer.
    As well as the remarks about Allardyce, the video also appears to show Kean predicting Rovers will finish in the top half of the Premier League table and win the Carling Cup.
    Rovers finished second-bottom and were relegated to the Championship.

Kean and Blackburn owners Venky's were this season the targets of sustained protests from the Rovers fans unhappy at the running of the club.
    Kean was appointed manager as a replacement for Allardyce, who was sacked in December 2010.
    Allardyce has since led West Ham to the final of the Championship play-offs.
    Rovers officials are expected to hold talks with Kean in the coming days, but have so far shown no signs that their loyalty to their manager is running out.

Uploads

Alex McLeish: Sacked as Villa boss on Monday

VILLA BEGIN SEARCH FOR NEW BOSS

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner will today launch his search for a fourth manager in less than two years after sacking Alex McLeish 11 months into his reign.
    McLeish was axed after Villa came too close for comfort to being relegated from the Barclays Premier League as they stayed up by just two points.
    Lerner has criticised the performance levels and results during McLeish's reign and the final points tally of 38 was one less than he achieved when relegated in charge of Birmingham last season.
    It was always a calculated gamble to appoint McLeish given his frosty relationship with Villa fans after his spell at St Andrew's - and one that clearly failed.

Lerner said: "We need to be clear and candid with ourselves and with supporters about what we have lacked in recent years.
    "Compelling play and results that instil a sense of confidence that Villa is on the right track have been plainly absent.
    "The most immediate action that we can take is to look carefully at our options in terms of bringing in a new manager who sees the club's potential and embraces our collective expectations."
    Villa axed McLeish less than 24 hours after a performance the Scot described as "woeful" in a 2-0 defeat at Norwich whose manager Paul Lambert is expected to be amongst the leading candidates.
    Chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "We are mindful of the club's need to prepare thoroughly for the new campaign, and for the new manager to be able to begin working with the board so that he is quickly immersed in these preparations and also in the long-term objectives of the club.

"Our focus now will be driven by these imperatives."
    McLeish faced a losing battle to win over the Villa fans but it was a season of gross underachievement which cost him his job.
    He always insisted the campaign would be one of transition after being ordered by Lerner to drastically reduce the wage bill.
    He lost the services of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing last summer to Manchester United and Liverpool respectively.
    In addition the likes of record signing Darren Bent, defender Richard Dunne and skipper Stiliyan Petrov have spent lengthy spells on the sidelines through injury or illness.
    But Lerner still did not expect Villa to be so close to the drop which in financial terms would have been calamitous after a loss of more than 50million for the last financial year.
    Villa fans insist the "negative football" served up by McLeish - and not his previous connection with Birmingham - was the main reason behind their clamour for him to be sacked.

Jonathan Fear of leading Villa fans' website 'Vital Villa' said: "I think it was inevitable that McLeish would go.
    "It is a shame the situation arose. I know they (Lerner and Faulkner) are desperate to get stability into the club but it never was a great fit.
    "I think most Villa fans tried their very best to support McLeish once he was appointed. It has really frustrated Villa fans to keep having the Birmingham connection rammed back at us.

"If we had taken from them a really good manager who shot us up the league and won us something, we would all find it quite hilarious.
    "But his reputation was of playing negative football. I know he riles against that - but the evidence we've seen this this year was of awful football.
    "We expect to see our team go for it. It's not about winning, drawing and losing. It's just seeing a bit of pride and endeavour in the games."

Uploads

Roberto Martinez: Won't be drawn on 'speculation'

MARTINEZ COY ON VILLA TALK

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has refused to be drawn on speculation linking him with the Aston Villa job.
    Martinez rejected an approach from Villa last season to stay on as Latics manager, where his reputation has been enhanced by another successful fight for Premier League survival.
    Villa are again looking for a manager after sacking Alex McLeish on Monday afternoon, and the Latics boss is Sky Bet's favourite for the post.
    He told Sky Sports News: "There's not a decision to be made. I'm under contract and at the moment there's nothing else other than preparing for next season and making sure we grow season after season. There's nothing to discuss.

"When there is speculation about players and managers it is because you've done something well. We've done something well and there's speculation, but it's nothing more than that."

Uploads

Robert Lewandowski: Believed to be on United's radar

GILL: WE CAN COMPETE FOR PLAYERS

Manchester United chief executive David Gill insists the club have the cash to compete in the transfer market despite Sir Alex Ferguson's claim that Manchester City "pay stupid money and silly salaries".
    United are aiming to strengthen this summer, with Borussia Dortmund duo Shinji Kagawa and Robert Lewandowski believed to be on his radar.
    However, it is anticipated Lille's Edin Hazard will join City ahead of United this summer, just as Samir Nasri ended up at the Etihad Stadium 12 months ago when Ferguson thought he had completed a deal to sign the former Arsenal midfielder.
    Nevertheless, the Old Trafford outfit are adamant they are not being left behind.
    "Funds are available without a doubt," Gill told MUTV.

"We can still pay very well in terms of wages and transfer fees.
    "Clearly City have raised the bar. We have seen that with what they are prepared to pay for players and to them.
    "But we need to move on. Financial Fair Play is just around the corner.
    "It is a flagship programme for Michel Platini and how that is implemented and the sanctions that are imposed are going to be interesting."
    Typically, Ferguson's assessment was rather more blunt.
    "We know City are going to spend fortunes, pay stupid money and silly salaries. We know that happens. We can't do anything about that," the Scot told MUTV.
    "We are not like other clubs who can spend fortunes on proven goods. We invest in players who will be with the club for a long time, who will create the character of the club and the excitement for our fans.
    "We are good at that and we are going to continue that way."
    Ferguson admitted his side suffered at the Stadium of Light on Sunday, initially believing they had won the title with their victory, only to have the glory taken off them.
    However, the celebrations of the Sunderland fans clearly left a bitter taste, which he believes will inspire his players to greater glory.
    "I am a winner," said Ferguson.

"When we lost the league to Leeds in 1992, the young players - Neville, Scholes, Giggs - came out that day and the Liverpool supporters were asking for their autographs. Then they (the supporters) were tearing the autographs up - I told the players to remember that.
    "Yesterday I said those Sunderland fans who were cheering for City, remember the day. We won't forget that. I am telling you."
    Ferguson and Gill were both speaking at the United Player of the Year awards, which turned into a personal triumph for Antonio Valencia, who won both the players' and fans' prize, in addition to the Red Devils' goal of the season, his effort at Blackburn last month.

Uploads

Sir Alex Ferguson: Has plans for the summer

FERGIE EXPECTS 'SILLY' CITY SPENDING

Sir Alex Ferguson has stirred the pot of Mancunian rivalry following Manchester City's title win on Sunday by claiming he is ready for the Blues to "pay stupid money and silly salaries" this summer.
    Ferguson was frustrated 12 months ago when he thought he had agreed a deal to sign Samir Nasri from Arsenal, only for the France midfielder to join City instead.
    Nasri was the latest in a long line of star names to join the Blues revolution, and more followed, including Sergio Aguero, whose injury-time goal at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday ensured the Premier League trophy was transferred from Old Trafford to the other side of town, just as it did when City last won it in 1968.
    City's parade was taking place a couple of miles away from Old Trafford, just as United were beginning their Player of the Year awards dinner.
    And it was from there that Ferguson launched his barb as he assessed his own plans for the summer and insisted there would be no deviation from his stated policy of buying younger players.

"We know City are going to spend fortunes, pay stupid money and silly salaries. We know that happens. We can't do anything about that," the Scot told MUTV.
    "We are not like other clubs who can spend fortunes on proven goods. We invest in players who will be with the club for a long time, who will create the character of the club and the excitement for our fans.
    "We are good at that and we are going to continue that way."
    Ferguson confirmed he already had some targets in mind, which are believed to include Borussia Dortmund duo Shinji Kagawa and Robert Lewandowski.
    However, he insisted there was no requirement for a rebuilding job, as so many have suggested.
    "We have set out our stall for certain players and we want to make sure the evolution continues at United," said Ferguson.
    "I have been at the club for 25 years and I have to maintain a certain standard that keeps us there all the time.
    "We don't always win it because we are always there, which is great credit to how we view things. But there is nothing materially wrong with us. I know there are some critics but we got 89 points."
    Earlier chief executive David Gill had insisted cash was available for Ferguson to invest in his squad.
    "Funds are available without a doubt," he said.
    "We can still pay very well in terms of wages and transfer fees. Clearly City have raised the bar again. We have seen that with what they are prepared to pay for players and to them.
    "But we need to move on. Financial Fair Play is just around the corner.
    "It is a flagship programme for Michel Platini and how that is implemented and the sanctions that are imposed are going to be interesting.
    "But we are a very successful club. Our turnover is amongst the top three in world football - over 300million a year.
    "That generates income to invest in players and we will continue to do that."

Ferguson admitted his side suffered at the Stadium of Light, initially believing they had won the title with their victory, only to have the glory taken off them.
    However, the celebrations of the Sunderland fans clearly left a bitter taste.
    "I am a winner," said Ferguson.
    "When we lost the league to Leeds in 1992, the young players - Neville, Scholes, Giggs - came out that day and the Liverpool supporters were asking for their autographs. Then they (the supporters) were tearing the autographs up - I told the players to remember that.
    "I said to those Sunderland fans who were cheering for City: 'Remember the day. We won't forget that. I am telling you'."

Uploads

Dalglish: Flown to the USA for talks with Henry

LIVERPOOL SILENT ON DALGLISH

Liverpool are refusing to comment on reports that manager Kenny Dalglish has left the club.
    Dalglish and assistant Steve Clarke are known to have flown to the United States for talks with the club's owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner.
    And numerous reports on Tuesday afternoon suggested Dalglish has left the club.
    Liverpool suffered their 14th defeat of a hugely disappointing Premier League campaign on Sunday, a 1-0 reverse at Swansea.
    Dalglish delivered their first silverware in six years - the Carling Cup - and guided the Reds to the FA Cup final.

But the Americans are desperate to challenge for the Premier League title and play in the Champions League.
    In the last month the restructuring of the club has led to the departures of director of football Damien Comolli, head of sports science Peter Brukner and, on Friday, director of communications Ian Cotton.
    And newspaper reports suggested the club's bosses are lining up Wigan manager Roberto Martinez to take over from Dalglish.
    Defeat at Swansea meant Liverpool recorded their lowest total of top-flight league victories (14) and lowest points tally (52) since 1953-54.
    They also scored the fewest league goals (47) for 20 years and an eighth-placed finish was their worst for 18 years.

Uploads

Roberto Martinez: Linked with Aston Villa

WHELAN: NO APPROACH FROM VILLA

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan says Aston Villa have not contacted the club about Roberto Martinez, and fully expects the manager to remain in charge at the DW Stadium.
    Villa are searching for a new manager after dismissing Alex McLeish on Monday and Martinez is one of the names to have been linked with the vacant post.
    Martinez was a target for Villa last summer before McLeish was appointed and has enhanced his reputation over the past 12 months by keeping the Latics in the Premier League.

The Spaniard has refused to be drawn on speculation connecting him with Villa and Whelan says there has been no approach at this stage.
    "We haven't received any notification at all that Aston Villa want to talk to him about this job," Whelan told Sky Sports News.
    "I am not aware of any approach coming from Aston Villa or any other club.
    "Roberto and I have a complete understanding where we trust each other implicitly.
    "If anything comes up Roberto will see me and I will be the first to know.
    "We have a working relationship that is very upfront, open and honest."

Whelan has always insisted that he will never stand in Martinez's way if they both feel it is the right time for the 38-year-old to move on.
    The chairman did not think Martinez was ready 12 months ago and believes he is still developing as a manager.
    "If anybody approaches him, he will tell me because he knows that if I feel the club is right, and he feels the club is right for him, I will let him go and will back him to the hilt," said Whelan.

"Last year I personally did not think that Roberto was ready to step up to the challenge.
    "I believe he is still on the learning curve, but he is a very quick learner, and he is going to go to a top club. That is for sure and I will back him when the time comes.

"I would like to keep Roberto, full stop, at Wigan, but that will be impossible because of how he has revolutionised Wigan again this year.
    "We have great plans going forward at Wigan, and he is still very much a part of that."
    Asked if he thought Martinez would be Wigan manager when the new Premier League season kicks off in August, Whelan concluded: "I would say at this particular time, definitely, yes."

Uploads

Roberto Di Matteo: Won't be returning to West Brom

DI MATTEO RULES OUT BAGGIES RETURN

Chelsea interim boss Roberto Di Matteo has ruled out a possible return to West Brom as they search for a new manager.
    Di Matteo's future at Chelsea remains up in the air with the club yet to decide if the Italian will land the Stamford Bridge role on a permanent basis.
    West Brom are drawing up a shortlist of contenders to succeed Roy Hodgson following his appointment as England boss and Di Matteo has been mentioned as a possible contender.

However, Di Matteo, who guided West Brom to promotion to the Premier League before being axed last February, insists he has no plans to return to The Hawthorns.
    "In my life, I've gone back to an ex-girlfriend and it didn't work out.
    "I'm not sure whether it's the right move."
    Di Matteo refused to be drawn on his future prospects of keeping the Chelsea job after this weekend's Champions League final with Bayern Munich.
    "My future will be holidays after Saturday," added Di Matteo. "As for my footballing future, it's the wrong time to be thinking about that."

Uploads

Roberto Mancini: Very happy to work at City

MANCINI YET TO DISCUSS NEW DEAL

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has revealed he has yet to discuss a new contract with the club.
    Mancini, who led City to their first Barclays Premier League title since 1968 on Sunday, has one year left on his current deal.
    Reports in England claim Mancini will soon be offered a new lucrative four-year contract extension, but he has not heard anything, despite having contact with the club's owner in the wake of the title success.
    "He (owner Sheikh Mansour) sent me a message of congratulations," Mancini said in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport. "He was happy.
    "We haven't spoken about a new contract but I am very happy to work here.
    "The basis is here to start a cycle."

The Italian tactician admits that Sunday's events have yet to sink in.
    With his team trailing 10-man QPR 2-1 in stoppage time, City scored two late goals that handed them the three points they needed to win the title on goal difference ahead of city rivals Manchester United.
    "It was a miracle," Mancini said.
    "God looked at our game and gave us a helping hand.
    "Football is mad and it's extraordinary because of that. Games end on the final whistle and you cannot give up.
    "On Sunday we won the title by scoring two goals in injury time.
    "I have never experienced that before and I don't know when it will happen again."
    Mancini claims that Sunday's season finale was further evidence that the Barclays Premier League is the best league in the world.
    "I truly believe it is," he said.

"Our game, that of United in Sunderland and the draw between Stoke and Bolton prove that it is a loyal battle here, always and anywhere."
    And the 47-year-old believes there is no question his side were worthy winners.
    "We truly deserve this title," he said. "We have taken 89 points. We have scored more goals than any other team.
    "We have played the best football and we have beaten United twice.
    "I must compliment United because they fought until the last second.
    "To beat a rival like United after a league like this one increases our merit."
    According to Mancini, the key to the season for City was their 3-3 draw at home to Sunderland on March 31.
    "We were down 3-1 but thanks to (Mario) Balotelli and (Aleksandar) Kolarov we are able to equalise," he said.
    "That result was important because it was a lesson of character.

"I thank Balotelli and Kolarov for those two goals."
    Mancini is no newcomer to winning titles as a player and coach.
    He led Inter Milan to three consecutive scudetti during his four-year spell in charge of the Serie A giants.
    However, he rates Sunday's triumph very highly in his achievements, as he became the second Italian manager to win the Premier League after Carlo Ancelotti's Chelsea in 2010.
    "I have won in England, in the home of football masters," he said. "For an Italian this is an immense joy.
    "I am proud to be Italian and to represent my nation in the best way.
    "Our country is going through a delicate time but I am convinced we will come out of it. Italy is a great country, we just need to learn to love it more.

"I dedicate this title to those who love me, to those that have worked to achieve it, but especially to the City fans. I saw a fan in tears in Swansea after losing 1-0 and I realised just how much this team is loved."
    Mancini, who joined City in 2009, knows his next challenge is to guide City to achieve European success.
    City were eliminated from the Champions League in the group stages this season.
    "We have started a new cycle but in order to win the Champions League you need more," he said.
    "The lessons of this year will be good for us. We need time, patience and experience."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast