Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 16-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 16-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 16-05-2012

Luka Modric: No rush to decide his future

LUKA MODRIC IN NO RUSH TO DECIDE FUTURE

Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric is in no rush to sort out his club future.
    The 26-year-old, who was at the centre of one of last summer's most protracted transfer sagas over a move to Chelsea which did not materialise, will wait until after the European Championship to make any decisions.
    The Croatia international told the Daily Mirror: "I will decide about my future after the Euros.

"I will make the decision where to continue my career. I'm ready for the big tests."
    Tottenham's participation in the Champions League next term depends on the result of this season's final, as Chelsea will take the fourth available spot if they beat Bayern Munich on Saturday.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 16-05-2012

Kagawa: Exchanged 'good words' with Ferguson

KAGAWA CONFIRMS MAN UNITED TALKS

Shinji Kagawa has confirmed he has held talks with Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson fuelling rumours of a switch to England.
    The Japan international rejected the offer of a new contract with Borussia Dortmund as he sets his sights on a move to the Premier League.
    And the Red Devils appear to the head the queue for the midfielder's signature after he exchanged "good words" with Ferguson during a two-hour meeting.
    "It was good that I was able to meet him in person and talk," Kagawa told reporters on his return to Japan to prepare for the international friendly against Azerbaijan.

"I want to think hard before making my decision. I want a team where I can take on challenges."
    The 23-year-old, who is expected to command a fee in the region of 10m, has also been linked with Chelsea, Arsenal and AC Milan.

Uploads

Kenny Dalglish: Back from United States trip

KENNY DALGLISH FUTURE UNCLEAR

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has returned from his trip to the United States to meet the club's owners but what the outcome of their discussions will be still remains unclear.
    Press Association Sport understands the Scot flew back to Britain on Tuesday after meeting principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner amid a growing crescendo of rumours about his future.
    Speculation reached fever pitch on internet and social networking sites around late morning with unsubstantiated claims ranging from him being sacked to resigning.

With no statement forthcoming from either Fenway Sports Group or the club the rumour mill ran wild, although it gradually subsided the longer time went by with no announcement.
    Without a public show of support from FSG Dalglish's position will remain a subject for debate even though just over a month ago Werner stated they had "great confidence in Kenny and he enjoys our full support".
    Since then results have not improved as Liverpool won just two league matches out of five and lost the FA Cup final to Chelsea.
    But there has perhaps been too much being read into his trip to America, fed no doubt by FSG's restructuring at the club has already led to the departure of director of football Damien Comolli, head of sports science Peter Brukner and head of communications Ian Cotton in the last month.
    Dalglish, along with coach Steve Clarke, flew out after Sunday's defeat to Swansea to present their view of what has been a disappointing season.

It was always designed to be part of the review process, which Dalglish had admitted some weeks before required him to provide a detailed report of his assessment of the last 10 months and his thoughts on plans going forward.
    After a 14th loss of the league campaign Liverpool's eighth-place finish was their worst for 18 years and a points tally of 52 their lowest since 1953/54.
    It will have left Dalglish and Clarke to answer some testing questions from Henry and Werner about what progress was being made with their investment, having spent over 200million to buy the club in October 2010 and then heavily backed their manager in subsequent transfer windows.

Dalglish made plans to return home after the meeting on Monday, which partly explains why he was not pictured alongside Clarke, Henry and Werner at a baseball match between the Boston Red Sox - FSG's other marquee investment - and the Seattle Mariners on Monday night.
    The Reds boss still has two years to run on the contract he was given by FSG just over 12 months ago and only last week he spoke about planning for the new season in August.

Uploads

Roberto Mancini: Wants to boost City's squad

MANCINI WANTS SUMMER OF SPENDING

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini hopes to be allowed to spend big this summer in pursuit of further success.
    Mancini wants to add the Champions League to this season's Barclays Premier League title victory.
    City have spent heavily since their takeover by Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Mansour in 2008 to establish a position of prominence in the English game.
    Chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak has said there is now no need to spend the lavish sums of previous summers, because the squad is already strong, but Mancini still wants more top names.

Mancini told BBC Sport: "Barcelona and Real Madrid every year buy two or three players and spend a lot of money.
    "I think for Manchester City it will be the same.
    "We need to improve. We need to have the strength to play Champions League and Premier League."
    Mancini will also focus on the current squad, with speculation still likely to surround the controversial figures of Carlos Tevez and Mario Balotelli.
    Tevez was widely expected to leave in the summer after failing in his attempts to engineer a move during the January transfer window.
    Yet after returning to the club following his infamous self-imposed exile in Argentina to play a key role in the run-in, the apparently reintegrated 28-year-old has said he wants to stay.
    Their dispute now over, Mancini said: "It's not difficult to manage Tevez. He's a good guy. We had a good relationship always.
    "I don't know why we had that situation in September but in the end he's a good guy and a fantastic player."
    Mancini wants to keep Balotelli despite creating headlines for misdemeanours on and off the field during the season.
    Mancini said he would "probably" try to sell his fellow Italian after his sending-off at Arsenal last month but the pair are now reconciled.
    The City manager told Gazzetta dello Sport: "Mario has been very clear and I reiterate: Balotelli will remain at Manchester 101 per cent.
    "I am confident he will have a great European Championship.

"I hope Mario will be the leader of the national team because he is the best Italian striker.
    "He just needs to make his brain work. That is his only problem."
    It has been reported that Mancini will be rewarded for overseeing City's first league win in 44 years with a new contract, but he says the situation has not yet been discussed with the sheikh.
    The 47-year-old, who took charge at the Etihad Stadium in December 2009, said: "He sent me a message of congratulations, he was happy.
    "We haven't spoken about a new contract but I am very happy to work here.
    "The basis is here to start a cycle."

Uploads

Ritchie De Laet: Leicester move

FOXES SIGN MAN UNITED DUO

Leicester have struck a deal to sign Ritchie De Laet and Matty James from Manchester United.
    Belgian defender De Laet, 23, and English midfielder James, 20, will move to the King Power Stadium on three-year contracts, the npower Championship club announced.
    De Laet had a loan spell with Norwich last season which was terminated early in January, after previous short-term stints at Sheffield United, Preston and Portsmouth.

He made just six first-team appearances for United after a surprise move from Stoke in 2009.
    Former England Under-19 captain James did not make a first-team breakthrough at Old Trafford.
    He spent two loan spells at Preston in 2010 but was troubled by injury in the season just ended.

Leicester manager Nigel Pearson told his club's website: "Ritchie and Matthew are both players we have been monitoring for some time and we are very pleased to be able to bring them both to the club.
    "Both are hungry, young players with winning mentalities, experience of Championship football and a desire to be successful."

Uploads

Claudio Pizarro: Werder Bremen exit

PIZARRO CONFIRMS BREMEN EXIT

Peruvian striker Claudio Pizarro will leave Werder Bremen when his contract ends this summer.
    Pizarro's contract runs to the end of June, after he activated an option to terminate his deal a year early, and the 33-year-old confirmed he was keen for another challenge before retiring.
    "It was a difficult decision because I love this team and the club, but I would like to do something new at the end of my career. I can't yet say what that will be, but I have several propositions that I have to consider," Pizarro said on club website werder.de.
    Pizarro enjoys the distinction of being the leading non-German goalscorer to grace the Bundesliga, with 160 goals in 333 appearances - 89 of them for Bremen across three stints since first signing for the club in 1999.

Bremen director of sport Klaus Allofs said: "Three times we had managed to convince him of Werder, a fourth time was not possible.
    "We regret it very much, but are glad that finally a decision has come and we thank Claudio for a great time together."
    Bayern Munich are thought to be tracking the availability of their former player, who made nearly 200 league appearances for the Bavarian club between 2001 and 2007.
    Pizarro signed off from Bremen on a personal high with two goals in their 3-2 defeat to Schalke on the final day of the season, and coach Thomas Schaaf was happy that his future had been resolved so quickly.
    "We must accept this decision. I would have liked to continue working with him, but it was important for Claudio to state his intentions," Schaaf said.
    "We are now planning for the upcoming season ahead and looking for attractive solutions."

Uploads

Toure: Has won the FA Cup and Premier League at City

AGENT - YAYA TOURE OPEN TO OFFERS

The agent of Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure claims his client would be willing to listen to offers this summer and has called on Barcelona to make a move.
    The Ivory Coast international spent three years at Camp Nou between 2007 and 2010, prior to agreeing a big-money switch to City.
    He has enjoyed two successful seasons in England, picking up FA Cup and Premier League winners' medals.
    Toure's representative claims the 29-year-old is now in need of 'new motivations' and could be lured away from the Etihad Stadium.

Dimitri Seluk has hinted that a return to Barcelona could be a possibility, while he has suggested that approaches from Chelsea, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid would be considered.
    "He has done all he can do at City and he needs new motivations," Seluk said in The Sun.
    "Toure could sign for many big clubs like Chelsea and Bayern Munich. Also, we would like to see Barca join the race."
    He added: "I have not spoken to Barca but they know the situation.
    "I do not know if Madrid are interested but Jose Mourinho has liked him since he was at Chelsea."

Uploads

Jamie Mackie: Commits to Loftus Road until 2015

JAMIE MACKIE EXTENDS QPR DEAL

QPR striker Jamie Mackie has signed a one-year extension to his contract.
    The 26-year-old has committed his future to the Loftus Road club until the summer of 2015.
    Mackie returned from a double leg break to score seven goals in QPR's first season back in the Barclays Premier League.
    QPR retained their top-flight status on a dramatic final day.

"To be given the opportunity to extend my contract is fantastic for me," Mackie said.
    "It's a really exciting time for the club. Now we've stayed up, I think next season could be a really big one for QPR.
    "To be a part of the long-term future of the club is an aim of mine and I'm really happy."
    Mackie is now looking for manager Mark Hughes to strengthen the QPR squad ahead of next season.
    "Hopefully the manager can add even more quality to the squad in the summer to supplement what we've already got," said the former Plymouth striker, who moved to QPR in May 2010.

"With the new training ground too and the passion of the owners for the club, it's an amazing time for the Football Club.
    "From day one, the fans have brilliant with me - especially when I broke my leg. They carried on supporting me all the way through that.
    "It meant a lot to me. Hopefully my performances since have gone a little way to paying them back for the support that they showed me."

Uploads

Kenny Dalglish: Sackedby Liverpool

LIVERPOOL SACK KENNY DALGLISH

Liverpool have terminated the contract of manager Kenny Dalglish, owners Fenway Sports Group and the club have confirmed.
    The announcement comes just 24 hours after the Scot returned from a meeting with principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner in the United States.
    Despite winning the Carling Cup and reaching the final of the FA Cup, Dalglish paid the price for a disappointing eighth-place finish in the Premier League.
    A 14th defeat of the season at Swansea on the final day of the season condemned the club to their worst league finish for 18 years and their lowest points tally (52) since 1953/54.

"Fenway Sports Group and Liverpool Football Club announce that Kenny Dalglish is to leave his post today as manager after having his contract terminated," said a joint statement.
    "After a careful and deliberative review of the season the club came to the decision that a change was appropriate.
    "It is not a decision that was reached lightly or hastily.
    "The search for a new manager will begin immediately."
    From the moment he was appointed in temporary charge Dalglish insisted he would do whatever was necessary for the benefit of Liverpool.
    On departing the club which has been a huge part of his life over the last four decades he said: "It has been an honour and a privilege to have had the chance to come back to Liverpool Football Club as manager.

"I greatly appreciate the work that Steve (Clarke), Kevin (Keen), the players and all of the staff put in during my time and feel proud that we delivered the club's first trophy in six years, winning the Carling Cup, and came close to a second trophy in the FA Cup final.
    "Of course I am disappointed with results in the league but I would not have swapped the Carling Cup win for anything as I know how much it meant to our fans and the club to be back winning trophies.
    "Whilst I am obviously disappointed to be leaving the football club, I can say that the matter has been handled by the owners and all concerned in an honourable, respectful and dignified way and reflects on the quality of the people involved and their continued desire to move the football club forward in the same way as when they arrived here.

"I would like to thank all of the staff at the club for their effort and loyalty.
    "I said when first approached about coming back as manager that I would always be of help if I can at any time and that offer remains the same.
    "Finally, I want to put on record my heartfelt gratitude to Liverpool's fans, who have always given me and the club their unwavering support.
    "Without them neither the club nor I would have achieved anything."
    Werner said they had made a tough decision to remove a man who is held in such high esteem at Anfield following his exploits as a player and manager in his previous spell in charge.
    He acknowledged the effect the 61-year-old had had in putting things on a more even keel after a disastrous six months under Roy Hodgson but felt a change was required.

"Kenny came into the club as manager at our request at a time when Liverpool Football Club really needed him," he said.
    "He didn't ask to be manager; he was asked to assume the role. He did so because he knew the club needed him.
    "He did more than anyone else to stabilise Liverpool over the past year and a half and to get us once again looking forward.
    "We owe him a great debt of gratitude.
    "However, results in the Premier League have been disappointing and we believe to build on the progress that has already been made, we need to make a change.
    "We are committed to delivering success for our supporters and our ambition remains resolute to return this great club to the elite of England and Europe, where it belongs."

Henry was also fulsome in his praise for the Scot. "Kenny will always be more than a championship-winning manager, more than a championship-winning star player," he said.
    "He is in many ways the heart and soul of the club. He personifies everything that is good about Liverpool Football Club.
    "He has always put the club and its supporters first. Kenny will always be a part of the family at Anfield.
    "Our job now is to identify and recruit the right person to take this club forward and build on the strong foundations put in place during the last 18 months."
    Prior to the start of the season Henry had suggested that Champions League qualification was the minimum requirement.
    There had been progress made under Dalglish, who initially took temporary charge in January 2011 with the club dangerously close to the foot of the table after Hodgson failed badly.
    The Scot was given a three-year contract a year ago but an inability to sufficiently close the gap to the top four despite a significant outlay on transfers appears to have persuaded Fenway Sports Group a change was required.

Uploads

Martinez is one of the favourites to replace Dalglish

WHELAN - NO APPROACH FOR MARTINEZ

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan says Liverpool have not made an approach for Roberto Martinez.
    The Merseyside giants confirmed the sacking of Dalglish on Wednesday and Wigan boss Martinez has emerged as the early favourite to replace him at Anfield.
    But, after being contacted by Sky Sports, Whelan was quick to confirm that he had not heard anything from Liverpool's owners Fenway Sports Group.

"At this moment in time, there has been no approach from Liverpool or any other club for Roberto Martinez," Whelan confirmed.
    Martinez has been targeted by rival clubs in the past and last summer he turned down the chance to take over at Aston Villa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast