Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 22-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 22-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 22-05-2012

Joe Cole: Has unfinished business at Liverpool

JOE COLE HOLDS OUT LIVERPOOL HOPE

Joe Cole insists he has unfinished business at Liverpool despite being linked with a return to boyhood club West Ham this summer.
    Cole has made a big impact in Ligue 1 this term on a season-long loan at Lille from Anfield and the French club are thought to be open to taking him back for another 12 months.
    The 30-year-old has also been tipped for an emotional homecoming to Upton Park, where he came through the youth ranks before spending five years as a senior player.

However, the midfielder has not given up hope of resurrecting his career on Merseyside, with the club currently searching for a new manager following Kenny Dalglish's sacking.
    "When I signed for Liverpool, it startled me a bit," Cole, who joined Anfield from Chelsea two years ago under former boss Roy Hodgson, told the Daily Mail.
    "I don't know if I felt the pressure but the city is so in love with football. It's a religion. If I go back, I will be more prepared for it this time.
    "I can see why people say (joining Liverpool) is a culture shock. It is a small place but it has this great buzz. How can there not be in a city that has produced five Prime Ministers and The Beatles? The people are so sharp, quite a bit like Londoners really.
    "There is still a part of me that would really love to make it work there and I don't want to have a bad spell at Anfield on my CV. But it is out of my hands now.

"At the minute I can't rule anything in or out. We have got to speak to Liverpool and see what happens there."
    Cole admits Ligue 1 has a slower tempo than the Premier League but is confident he can readjust to life in the English top-flight if given the chance.
    He added: "I will have to do extra work because it will be going back to that 100mph pace but I'm sure it will be okay."
    Cole's form in France this year had prompted speculation he could be a surprise call-up to Roy Hodgson's England squad for Euro 2012 but he failed to make the cut after two years away from the international scene.
    The midfielder has shrugged off that disappointment and turned his attention to the London Olympics, where he is hoping to represent Great Britain as one of three over-age players in coach Stuart Pearce's party.

He added: "I haven't played for England for two years. I know there is a new manager but I was never contacted. I heard there were strange things going on with the odds of me being cut to make the squad and that made me think "maybe".
    "But I have got my eyes on the Olympics now. I am in the mix and it would be amazing to play in that but, again, it is out of my hands.
    "We will just have to wait and see what happens. Whatever is the case, it has been a great year and it has been a great season. I am delighted with how things have gone."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 22-05-2012

Di Matteo and Drogba: Future unclear

DOUBT OVER CHELSEA'S MUNICH HEROES

Three of Chelsea's Champions League winners do not know if they will be at Stamford Bridge next season after the club refused to be rushed over their futures.
    Manager Roberto Di Matteo and strikers Didier Drogba and Fernando Torres all face uncertain futures with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich taking his time over who he wants to stay in west London.
    Chief executive Ron Gourlay has revealed the club will wait until Di Matteo's contract expires at the end of June before deciding on his future despite the interim manager delivering the Champions League and FA Cup.
    Drogba's decisive goal in the FA Cup and his equaliser and penalty shootout winner in the Champions League have increased the clamour amongst fans for him to be given the two-year deal he is reported to want and end talk of him moving to China.
    Torres came out after Saturday's win over Bayern Munich to express his desire to sort out where he stands but Gourlay has revealed the powers that be at Stamford Bridge are in no rush.

On di Matteo, Gourlay told Chelsea TV: "I know the fans will be pushing for Robbie.
    "We're going to look at the season, look at what worked for us, look at the mistakes we made and put them right and take it forward."
    Aston Villa, Lazio and Liverpool are all reported to be interested in Di Matteo who may not be tempted to take a one-year deal at Chelsea with former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola then possibly taking over 12 months down the line when his sabbatical is due to come to an end.
    It has been reported in France that Drogba is resigned to leaving but Gourlay has kept the door open on him remaining.
    He said: "Conversations with Didier have been going on for months and still are.

"He's made it clear he loves Chelsea and loves everything he's achieved at the club."
    Torres has expressed his unhappiness at what he sees as a lack of opportunities since his 50million move from Liverpool and Gourlay expressed some sympathy for the Spain international.
    "Torres came on when we were behind and played a big part to help us win the Champions League," he said.
    "I'd be surprised if Fernando, who's been awesome, didn't want more time on the field, every player does."

Chelsea have been linked with Radamel Falcao, Hulk and Edinson Cavani should they decide to end Drogba's time at the club.
    Lille playmaker Eden Hazard, Sao Paulo's Lucas Moura and Bayer Leverkusen's Andre Schurrle are other reported targets if Abramovich decides to pursue a summer recruitment policy.

Uploads

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Linked with Manchester City

MILAN PAIR STAYING PUT - ALLEGRI

AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri is adamant Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva will not be sold this summer.
    Sweden striker Ibrahimovic and Brazil centre-half Silva have both been linked with Manchester City since the Serie A season finished but Allegri is confident the pair will still be at the San Siro beyond the summer.
    "The club and the president are keen to maintain AC Milan at a high level," Allegri told the AC Milan television station.
    "Ibrahimovic and Thiago will remain here. Thiago is young and Ibrahimovic can also give a lot.

"They are two champions on which Milan can build its basis for the future.
    "The club is only working on replacing those players that have left."
    Ibrahimovic, 30, divides opinion but his record is impressive - he was the top scorer in the Italian top flight last season with 28 goals in 31 games. He is under contract at Milan until June 2015.

Twenty-seven-year-old Silva, whose deal runs until June 2016, has emerged as one of the best central defenders in Europe and has also been linked with Barcelona and Paris St Germain.

Uploads

Louis Saha: Has enjoyed his time at Tottenham

SAHA KEEN TO STAY AT SPURS

Louis Saha has made it clear that he is not looking to leave Tottenham after paying tribute to the influence of manager Harry Redknapp.
    Saha moved to White Hart Lane from Everton in January on a six-month deal until the end of the season, and his future is now uncertain as Spurs assess their squad ahead of the summer transfer window.
    But the Frenchman says he has enjoyed his time at the club and has been particularly impressed by the way Redknapp works with his players.
    Saha is now keen to sign a new deal with Tottenham even though they have missed out on a place in next season's Champions League.
    "I cannot say I want to leave," the striker said in The Sun.

"Harry has been good for me personally. What makes him so good is his personality, tactics and the way that he can work and relate to the players."

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor has also stated that he is keen to remain at Tottenham next season after spending the campaign on loan at White Hart Lane.

Uploads

Martin Laursen: Former Villa captain

VILLA ROLE TOO SOON FOR LAURSEN

Former Aston Villa skipper Martin Laursen has ruled out returning as manager this summer but admits it would be "a dream" for him to take charge sometime in the future.
    Former Denmark international Laursen was forced to quit Villa and retire three years ago because of a knee problem.
    There has been speculation linking Laursen with a return to Villa but he is currently taking his coaching badges while part of the staff at Danish side Sollerod-Vedbaek.

Laursen said: "That (the speculation) is flattering but it (Villa) is too soon for me, I'm afraid. I'm taking my coaching badges in Denmark and coaching at Sollerod to get some experience.
    "It is going well but to manage Villa is too early. In the future, that would be a dream for me. Fans know how much I love Villa, a great club."
    Villa are continuing their hunt for a new manager after holding informal talks with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers and Norwich's Paul Lambert remain amongst potential candidates although Press Association Sport understands Villa have yet to approach either club.

Uploads

James McArthur: Hoping Roberto Martinez stays

McARTHUR HOPES FOR MARTINEZ STAY

Wigan midfielder James McArthur hopes manager Roberto Martinez will stay at the DW Stadium.
    Martinez has been strongly linked with a move away from Wigan this summer with Liverpool and Aston Villa both credited with an interest in his services.
    Wigan have given Martinez permission to speak to Liverpool about replacing Kenny Dalglish at Anfield, while he is also thought to be on Villa's wanted list to succeed Alex McLeish.

McArthur, who signed a new deal at Wigan earlier this month, believes the Latics' success in staying up is down to Martinez and he hopes his boss sticks around at Wigan.
    "A lot of people wrote us off and said we'd be going down but our manager kept believing in the players and we kept believing as a team," McArthur told the Daily Record.
    "I reckon it was down to him being so calm. A lot of managers would have shown the stress as the relegation pressure mounted but he is so calm and that feeling rubbed off on us.
    "He is an outstanding manager and there's a chance more teams will come in for him if he doesn't go to Liverpool but hopefully it won't be this year.

"I've just signed a two-year extension which keeps me until 2016. I wanted to commit my future to Wigan because it's like a family club.
    "Last year I played 25 times in the league and this season I've managed to start more games and that is important to me. I've had that run in the team now and I'm starting to show what I can do."

Uploads

Landon Donovan: Would welcome Everton return

DONOVAN REITERATES EVERTON DESIRE

American star Landon Donovan has reiterated his desire to return to Everton.
    The Los Angeles Galaxy forward has enjoyed two spells on loan at Goodison Park and has never hidden his love for the Toffees.
    He told FIFA's website: "I would absolutely like to come back. There's no question about that.
    "And I know I will be back at some point. Now, whether I'm back as a player or just as a fan, who knows?
    "Right now, my focus is obviously on this season and qualifying for the World Cup. It's a big, really important year, and then we'll see what happens.

"I've always said the same thing: I'll see how my body feels, I'll see how I feel mentally, I'll see where the Galaxy are at and what they're okay or not okay with and then we'll make a decision.
    "Obviously a big part of it too is whether David Moyes wants me. There is a lot of factors that go into it. I don't see it as a foregone conclusion that 1: I'll be physically okay to go, 2: the Galaxy would let me go, and 3: that Everton would want me. You have to make sure all of those aligned and if it all works out, then it works out and if not, then it doesn't.
    "I miss the people. I miss the people a lot. I miss driving to Goodison Park. I miss just the positive energy of the fans walking into the stadium and how much they care about that club and the team.

"And I miss the players a lot. The players are really what made it easiest for me when I first went.
    "I'll be forever indebted because with a lot of teams' guys there would be jealousy, they wouldn't be welcoming, and they would do everything they can to not allow you to get on the field in that couple of months.
    "And, it was the opposite when I first got there (Everton) and I will always remember that."

Uploads

Craig Brown: Failed to lure James McFadden

ABERDEEN FAIL IN McFADDEN MOVE

Aberdeen boss Craig Brown has revealed he has failed in an ambitious move for James McFadden.
    Scotland international McFadden is looking for a new club after being released by Everton earlier this month.
    Brown tried to sign McFadden last January prior to his move to Everton, but the player rejected his overtures.
    The Dons chief made a new bid for the forward following his release by Everton, but again he has been snubbed with the player preferring to stay in England.
    "We would like to have McFadden at Pittodrie but that one doesn't look likely," Brown told the Daily Record.

"McFadden made it clear he would rather stay in England. I asked him to inform us if he has a change of heart but I'm not expecting that to happen."
    Brown is hoping to set up some deals by speaking to his contacts at this week's meeting of European coaches in Luxembourg.
    "It's the ideal opportunity to speak to the men with the very best knowledge of who might be available in Europe," added Brown.

Uploads

Stuart O'Keefe: New Palace contract

O'KEEFE PENS NEW PALACE DEAL

Crystal Palace midfielder Stuart O'Keefe has signed a new three-year contract.
    The 21-year-old, who broke into the first team this season and made 19 appearances, has committed himself to Selhurst Park until the summer of 2015.
    "I'm looking to push on again like I did at the end of last year," O'Keefe told the club's official website.

"I like it here, I like everything about the club, it's a good place to push on.
    "I was pleased to get 19 games and I'm hoping to have another good season and move forward with the club."

Uploads

Jussi Jaaskelainen: Has been offered a new deal

BOLTON DUO OFFERED NEW DEALS

Bolton are waiting on responses from Jussi Jaaskelainen and Zat Knight after offering the duo new contracts, chairman Phil Gartside has revealed.
    Gartside says the club are keen to retain their key players after suffering relegation to the Championship this season.
    Nigel Reo-Coker has walked away from Bolton after activating the get-out clause in his contract, with the midfielder one of 12 members of Owen Coyle's squad to leave so far this summer.
    Goalkeeper Jaaskelainen and defender Knight are both out of contract and have been offered new deals by the club, who are waiting on their answer, while winger Martin Petrov has agreed to stay for at least another year.

"It was important that we kept what was going to be a Premiership squad together," Gartside told Sky Sports.
    "The only disappointment is Nigel Reo-Coker decided to invoke his get-out clause. You move on and we'll replace him with somebody else that's going to be as good, if not better.
    "Martin Petrov's contract is already in place and his contract runs out at the end of next season. He's indicated that he's more than happy to stay.
    "Zat Knight and Jussi were out of contract this year and we've made them offers. Watch this space, we're still waiting for replies from them."
    Gartside insists Bolton can cope with playing in the Championship next season because contingency plans were put in place before their relegation was confirmed.
    "I'd rather be talking about a Premier League season, of course I would. But we did actually prepare for it," he added.
    "I think every club should do that in the bottom half of the table these days. It's inevitable that one year you might just have a bad run like we did on injuries or whatever reason and you've got to plan for it."

Meanwhile, Bolton have signed a deal with adidas which brings to an end the longest kit partnership in British football history.
    For 22 years Wanderers have had their kit made by Bolton-born brand Reebok and although the company will retain its status as stadium naming rights holder their will no longer feature on shirts.
    "I would like to thank Reebok for their outstanding support in their capacity as technical kit sponsor over the past 22 years,'' said Bolton chief executive Allan Duckworth.
    "The move is a logical one for all parties. Reebok's focus on their heritage in fitness and the move away from football provided this opportunity for the club to secure a new technical kit sponsor and in adidas we have found the very best.''

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast