Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 23-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 23-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 23-05-2012

Diego Lopez: On the move

LOPEZ MAKES MOVE TO SEVILLA

Sevilla have completed the signing of goalkeeper Diego Lopez from relegated Villarreal, the Primera Division club have announced.
    The 30-year-old, who has spent the last five seasons at Villarreal after joining from Real Madrid, has penned a five-year contract with the Andalusian club.
    The once-capped Spain international said on his new club's website: "It's all been very quick. I'm very happy and looking forward to wearing the Sevilla shirt and trying to help them continue being a big club.

"It's a big club for lots of things, for their fans, for what you feel when you go to play there. You always feel a little bit of envy when you experience that from outside, and now I'm very excited to be able to live it from the inside."
    Sevilla, the 2006 and 2007 UEFA Cup winners, finished ninth in La Liga last season while Villarreal, having finished fourth in 2011, were surprisingly relegated after losing at home to Atletico Madrid on the final day.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 23-05-2012

Grant Holt: Future uncertain

LAMBERT UNWILLING TO DISCUSS FUTURE

Norwich manager Paul Lambert refused to be drawn on speculation over the future of captain Grant Holt and himself after the Canaries recorded a 2-0 win against Scottish champions Celtic for Adam Drury's testimonial match at Carrow Road.
    Goals from James Vaughan and Henri Lansbury, making a guest appearance at one of his former loan clubs, gave the hosts a comfortable victory in front of an 18,500 crowd, with a large vocal travelling support.

Holt started in attack, despite having lodged a formal transfer request, which was rejected by the club.
    Lambert, though, deflected questions about the speculation over the striker, who scored 15 Premier League goals to help keep the Canaries up, and also his own position, having been linked with the vacancy at Aston Villa.
    "There is no point asking me. I am telling you I am not answering it. I know what is going on but this is Adam's game," Lambert said in the post-match press conference.
    "It is not about Grant, it is not about me, it is about Adam Drury.
    "This isn't the night for those questions. Don't ask me negative things about me or Grant.
    "I am delighted I am at Norwich if that is what you are asking.

"I have never said a word that I want to get away. Not a thing and people jump to conclusions about what I say or don't say."
    Drury, 33, joined the Canaries from Peterborough in March 2001, going on to captain the club when they were promoted to the Premier League under Nigel Worthington, then remaining loyal when the Norwich sank down to npower League One three years ago.
    However, the veteran full-back has yet to discover whether he will be given a contract extension for next season, having helped Lambert's side retain their top-flight status.

Lambert was giving little away. He said: "I have had a chat with him and he knows what is going on.
    "Adam is thinking about a few things and I will see what he thinks in the next few days, I am sure."
    Lambert paid tribute to Drury's service, though.
    He said: "Tonight was fitting for somebody who has been here for 11 years, and to get Celtic down here with their fans certainly makes for an atmosphere.
    "In the three years I have been here, Adam has been brilliant."

Uploads

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Out of the running

SOLSKJAER NOT HEADING TO VILLA

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has pulled out of the running to become the new Aston Villa manager.
    The former Manchester United striker, currently manager of Norwegian side Molde, was interviewed by Villa owner Randy Lerner over the weekend.
    But Solskjaer has opted not to be considered as Alex McLeish's successor for personal reasons.
    Solskjaer was the favourite with the bookmakers to take charge of Villa who only just avoided relegation from the Barclays Premier League.
    But sources close to the club are keen to stress Solskjaer was never offered the job by Lerner.

Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner will now step up their bid in other directions to replace McLeish who was sacked nine days ago.
    Brendan Rodgers (Swansea), Paul Lambert (Norwich) and Roberto Martinez (Wigan) are potential candidates.
    Rodgers and Lambert impressed with their respective clubs during their first season in the Premier League although Press Association Sport understands Villa have yet to approach either club.

Martinez turned down the chance to take charge at Villa last summer after Gerard Houllier was forced to quit on health grounds.
    Reports that Solskjaer had further talks about the Villa job before making his decision are also understood to be wide of the mark.
    He impressed Lerner after leading Molde to the Norwegian title in his first season after leaving United where he had been reserve team coach.
    But it was always Villa's intention to interview all the candidates on their short list before making a decision and they will now continue with that process.

Uploads

Fraser Forster: Has impressed at Celtic

LENNON HOPES TO TIE DOWN FORSTER

Neil Lennon hopes to tie up the futures of both goalkeeper Fraser Forster and striker Gary Hooper sooner rather than later.
    The duo were both in action for the Bhoys on Tuesday night at Norwich for Adam Drury's testimonial, which the hosts won 2-0 against a mixed side.
    Celtic have opened talks over an improved contract for Hooper, the 24-year-old Englishman, who has been linked with a move to Barclays Premier League newcomers Southampton after hitting 29 goals last season, while Lennon is also keen to retain the services of Forster, who has continued to impress on loan from Newcastle.

"His agent is in tomorrow [Wednesday], so we are hoping we can move things on pretty quick," said Lennon.
    "We have been delighted with him in the two years he has been here and are hoping we can bed him down for another two or three after that."
    Hooper has scored 29 goals this season, and is set to be rewarded with a new deal to try to fend off predators from south of the border.
    "Gary is one of our best players, and quite rightly so, he will be looking to get a wage increase, and we don't have a problem with that," said Lennon.
    Celtic are also on the trail of Norwegian midfielder Markus Henriksen from Rosenborg.

"We have not made any contact with the club yet, but he is a player we admire," said Lennon.
    "We have got a bit of work to do with trimming the squad before we can possibly even think about bringing players in, but we have targets for three or four positions.
    "We do like the player, but I do not know if we will be able to get a bid going in the next few days or not."

Uploads

Chris Hughton: Reported West Brom target

WEST BROM FACE FIGHT FOR HUGHTON

West Brom have been warned to expect a tough stance from Birmingham should they press ahead with plans to make Chris Hughton their new manager, Press Association Sport understands.
    Hughton is believed to be the leading contender to replace new England manager Roy Hodgson at The Hawthorns.
    He was interviewed for the job 15 months ago before losing out to Hodgson.

But at that time Hughton was a free agent after being sacked by Newcastle two months earlier, and Birmingham are keen to retain his services.
    A source close to City said: "Chris is very highly rated at Birmingham and has done a great job since taking over.
    "Blues are planning for next season, want Chris to be part of those plans, and any approach would not be welcome."
    Birmingham are anxious to avoid a repeat of last summer when manager Alex McLeish resigned and joined Aston Villa.

That resulted in a lengthy compensation battle and, if City do lose Hughton, they will expect to be fully recompensed in a similar manner.
    Hughton signed a 12-month rolling contract when succeeding McLeish.
    He led Birmingham to the npower Championship play-off semi-final in a season spanning more than 60 games, despite losing most of the squad which won the Carling Cup.

Uploads

Tranquillo Barnetta: Free agent

BARNETTA LEAVING LEVERKUSEN

Switzerland midfielder Tranquillo Barnetta has informed Bayer Leverkusen he will not be staying with the club next season.
    The 27-year-old has broken off negotiations over a new contract and will leave the Bundesliga club as a free agent this summer.
    "Tranquillo has turned down our offer and he will leave us on June 30," said Bayer's general manager Wolfgang Holzhauser on his club's website.

"This is very regrettable because we wanted to extend his contract, but we could not reach an agreement financially."
    A serious knee injury has kept the former Hannover midfielder on the sidelines for much of the last campaign, but he was a regular in the previous five seasons in which he made a total of 183 Bundesliga appearances.
    It is not clear whether the 59-times Switzerland international has found a new club.

Uploads

Vincenzo Montella: Roma return mooted

CATANIA CHIEF SAYS MONTELLA STAYS

Catania president Antonino Pulvirenti has warned Roma that coach Vincenzo Montella will remain at the club next season.
    Montella has been strongly linked with a return to Roma this summer to replace Luis Enrique after the Spaniard announced earlier this month he would not continue in charge despite having one year left on his contract.

Reports in Rome claim the Eternal City giants are willing to offer Montella a two-year deal with an optional third year.
    "Montella is our coach and he is under contract until next year," Pulvirenti said to Gazzetta dello Sport. "I hope I have been very clear."
    Montella guided Roma to sixth spot in Serie A in the 2010/11 season, having taken over as caretaker boss in the February, but was not offered a contract extension to remain at the Stadio Olimpico.

He joined Catania last summer and led them to a respectable 11th-placed finish this season, while Roma ended the campaign outside of the European places in seventh.

Uploads

Robert Lewandowski: Going nowhere

LEWANDOWSKI STAYING PUT - KLOPP

Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp insists top scorer Robert Lewandowski will not be leaving the German champions this summer.
    The Poland striker has been linked with moves to Manchester United and Bayern Munich after helping fire Dortmund to a league and cup double.
    The 23-year-old, who is under contract at Westfalenstadion until June 2014, netted 22 goals in 34 matches last season.
    United boss Sir Alex Ferguson recently attended the German Cup final where he watched Lewandowski bag a hat-trick in Dortmund's emphatic 5-2 win against Bayern.

"We will not sell Robert Lewandowski - not for any price," Klopp told German newspaper Suddeutsche Zeitung.
    "Our biggest obligation is to have a strong squad and one that enables you to play a successful game. He will remain at our club."

Uploads

Arjen Robben: Booed by Bayern fans

VAN BOMMEL BLASTS ROBBEN BOO-BOYS

Holland captain Mark van Bommel has urged international team-mate Arjen Robben to reconsider his Bayern Munich future after the forward was booed by club fans during a friendly at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday.
    Oranje were beaten 3-2 by Bayern just three days after the Bundesliga club lost out to Chelsea in the Champions League final.
    Robben, who missed a penalty against the Blues, came on as a 75th-minute substitute for Holland against his club side but was jeered by sections of the crowd.
    And Van Bommel was furious at the treatment he received.

"It's absolutely outrageous how the fans treated Arjen Robben," said the midfielder to Voetbal International.
    "You only have to look at what he has accomplished there. He scored a penalty against Real Madrid in the (Champions League) semi-finals.
    "People seem to have forgotten that. They should be pleased to have such a player. A large part of the German crowd booed their own player. That cannot happen.

"If I was Arjen, I would start thinking about whether I still want to play football there, even if my contract has just been renewed.
    "Arjen is very strong mentally, and comes back stronger each time after every setback. I don't know what Arjen is going to do but this is a disgrace."
    Robben recently signed an extended deal with Bayern until 2015, but Wesley Sneijder says he would be welcome at his current employers, Inter Milan.
    "The reaction from the fans was scandalous," said Holland midfielder Sneijder.

"Not only that, but over the last few days no-one at Bayern has defended him. By doing that, they're shutting him out.
    "Arjen has had a very disappointing evening. If it was my decision, he'll come to Inter this summer."
    Holland coach Bert van Marwijk also said he would understand if Robben requests to leave Bayern after being booed by their fans.
    "It is a disgrace the way they treated Arjen," said Van Marwijk. "I can understand when a player considers whether he should leave or not in such a situation.
    "That is not funny anymore, that is serious."

Uploads

Edinson Cavani: Linked with Manchester City among others

NAPOLI UNIMPRESSED BY CAVANI OFFERS

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has revealed he has yet to receive a tempting offer for star striker Edinson Cavani.
    The Uruguay international is a reported target of several top European clubs, including Manchester City, after another excellent campaign with the Serie A outfit.

Cavani was instrumental in Napoli's fifth-placed finish this season, scoring 23 goals in 35 league appearances.
    "If we receive a mega offer for Cavani then I will not be able to hold back," De Laurentiis said to Gazzetta dello Sport. "For now, no club has offered me the money I'm asking for."

Napoli slapped a 100million euros price tag on Cavani last year and the 25-year-old was strongly linked to Inter Milan, Chelsea and Paris St Germain.
    The South American player is under contract with Napoli until June 2015.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast