Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 24-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 24-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 24-05-2012

Fernando Torres: Backed to get amongst the goals

TORRES TIPPED TO TAKE ON DROGBA ROLE

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay has backed Fernando Torres to replace Didier Drogba as the club's main goalscorer.
    Drogba, who scored the winning penalty in Chelsea's Champions League final victory over Bayern Munich last weekend, is widely expected to move to China after revealing he will leave Stamford Bridge.
    The Ivory Coast forward has a prolific record at Chelsea, unlike 50million man Torres, but Gourlay has backed the 28-year-old Spaniard to get back among the goals regularly next season.
    "We've got Fernando Torres. And Fernando Torres is the man that we will go forward with and Fernando Torres will score us the goals," Gourlay said.

"Have no doubt that Fernando Torres is a world-class centre-forward and Fernando Torres will score goals for Chelsea. I'm not worried at all. We've just won the Champions League and Fernando Torres played his part in that.
    "It's not all about goals. It's not just about the individual scoring goals, his teamwork - he is a very, very important player."
    Torres was critical of the club for not giving him enough chances this season, but if a new striker is signed in the summer Gourlay revealed it would be to support the former Atletico Madrid and Liverpool player, and not to replace him.
    "We may have two big-name centre-forwards scoring 25-30 goals for us next season and maybe then we will improve on our sixth position in the league," he said.

Chelsea have reportedly registered an interest with Lille for their Belgium international midfielder Eden Hazard, joining Manchester United and Premier League champions Manchester City in the hunt for his signature.
    Although Gourlay would not confirm the speculation, he was quick to point out he would not get involved in bidding wars with rival clubs.
    He said: "There are a number of targets out there and I'm not going to say whether he is one of not.
    "We will identify the targets...and will make every effort possible to make sure they come to Chelsea.
    "Hopefully if anyone wants to go to a club and win championships and medals then we have demonstrated we can do that and have done that in the past and we have every intention of continuing along those lines in the future.
    "If you remember at the end of last season I said I would not get into player bartering with any other club domestically. And that's still the view because you can't.

"At the end of the day we have financial fair play and other football clubs are in the same situation as us. You have to meet certain criteria and while it differs for some European clubs on the basis of how they generate their revenues, certainly the domestic teams are all audited the same way.
    "We know what the challenges are - we will have a valuation on a player and if we can't make that work we will drop out."
    Of the young players already on the books at Chelsea, Gourlay confirmed it was likely striker Romelu Lukaku and goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois would travel with the squad on the pre-season tour of America before decisions are made on whether they remain at Stamford Bridge or are loaned out to gain first-team experience.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 24-05-2012

Salomon Kalou: Leaving Chelsea in the summer

KALOU AND BOSINGWA FACE CHELSEA EXIT

Chelsea are to announce that neither Salomon Kalou nor Jose Bosingwa will be retained by the club ahead of the new season, it is understood.
    Kalou, 26, and Bosingwa, 29, both started for the Blues in their Champions League final success against Bayern Munich at the weekend but will be omitted from the retained list submitted on Wednesday, alongside Didier Drogba who has already announced he will be leaving Stamford Bridge at the end of his contract.

Ivory Coast international Kalou was signed from Feyenoord in 2006 by Jose Mourinho and has featured as a squad player for most of his stay.
    Bosingwa was signed following his performances for Portugal at Euro 2008 after his then-national coach Luiz Felipe Scolari took charge of the club but Chelsea did not take up their one-year option on the full-back.

Uploads

Roberto Martinez: Villa target

ASTON VILLA TARGET MARTINEZ AGAIN

Aston Villa are poised to make a second attempt to secure the services of Wigan boss Roberto Martinez as their new manager.
    Villa owner Randy Lerner remains a big fan of Martinez even though the Spaniard rejected the chance to take charge of the club 12 months ago.
    Lerner is searching for a hungry and emerging figure to revive Villa's fortunes and maintains that Martinez fits the bill.
    Martinez's desire to play an attractive style of football has also impressed Lerner after fans were critical of the approach of the sacked Alex McLeish.

Lerner is aware of the interest of Liverpool in Martinez and knows he runs the risk of being delivered a knockback by the 38-year-old for a second successive summer.
    But it is understood Lerner has received sufficient encouragement to believe Martinez would at least discuss his proposals and hopes he can offer an attractive package and picture of Villa's future.
    Paul Lambert (Norwich), Brendan Rodgers (Swansea) and Gus Poyet (Brighton) are other potential candidates on Villa's radar as they search for a fourth manager in two years.

Lerner flew back to England two days ago from America to step up the managerial search.
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had been the bookmakers' favourite to replace McLeish but he has opted to stay in Norway with Molde for family reasons.
    Villa insist the former Manchester United striker was never offered the job after he was interviewed last weekend by Lerner.

Uploads

Di Matteo: European glory with Chelsea

'ENORMOUS BOOST' FOR DI MATTEO'S HOPES

Winning the Champions League has boosted Roberto Di Matteo's chances of landing the Chelsea manager's job "enormously", according to chief executive Ron Gourlay.
    After taking over from the sacked Andre Villas-Boas in a caretaker role in March, Di Matteo led the Blues to the FA Cup and then, last weekend, Champions League glory with a penalty shoot-out victory over Bayern Munich.
    He is now the bookies' favourite to claim the job on a permanent basis.
    Gourlay says no discussions have yet taken place with owner Roman Abramovich over a new manager.
    However, had they done, Gourlay admits: "It certainly would have made the discussions a bit different.
    "The fact that he has the Champions League on his CV helps him enormously.

"I know there has been speculation in the press and media about conversations with 'XYZ'. That has not been the case.
    "We will sit down as a board of directors with our owner as quickly as we can and take our decision from there. We are going through that process now and then we'll sit down ... it's only been a couple of days (since the season ended)."
    Gourlay said that a new man could be in charge in less than a fortnight.
    "(A new manager could be appointed) any time over the next couple of weeks and certainly by the time we go on tour," he said.
    "The players report back on July 4 or 5 and in an ideal world you want the coach in position by then."

Russian oligarch Abramovich has seen nine different men manage the club he purchased in 2003 but Gourlay reckons that the managerial merry-go-round at Stamford Bridge has helped maintain a level of success.
    "When you take into account how many managers have been sacked or not, when you look at the success we have had on the field it has been there," he said. "We have demonstrated, whether you like our model or not, and we have delivered.
    "Certainly since I have been in the role, we have always done what we believe is right for the football club in the long term."
    Villas-Boas was dismissed amid rumours that senior players in the dressing room had angled for him to be removed. Gourlay admitted the players are listened to but stressed they do not have the ultimate say.

"We do listen, but at the end of the day it won't force us to rush into a decision," he said.
    "We have to get it right. The players will always have a view, but at the end of the day it will be the owners and the board of directors that will decide the best way forward.
    "Of course we speak to the players and we're always listening, but we won't get into the scenario where the players pick the next manager."

Uploads

Claude Puel: Taking over at Nice

NICE PLUMP FOR CLAUDE PUEL

Nice have reached an agreement with Claude Puel to become their new head coach, the Ligue 1 club has announced.
    The 50-year-old has been out of work since being sacked by Lyon in July 2011. He has also had spells in charge of Monaco and Lille.
    A short statement on Nice's official website said: "Nice and Claude Puel have reached an agreement in principle on a contract for three years as head coach."

Puel, who will be officially presented to the media this afternoon, will replace Rene Marsiglia, who left the club earlier this week after Nice decided not to renew his contract.
    Nice beat the drop on the final day of the season with victory over Lyon.

Uploads

John van den Brom: Staying with Vitesse

VAN DEN BROM SHUNS ANDERLECHT

John van den Brom will stay on as coach of Vitesse Arnhem despite interest from Belgian side Anderlecht.
    The 45-year-old took charge of Vitesse last summer, leading them to a seventh-placed finish in the Eredivisie and a place in the Europa League via the end-of-season play-offs.
    That success turned heads at Anderlecht, who are without a coach following the resignation of Ariel Jacobs.
    However, Van den Brom has decided to stay with his current employers.
    "It is flattering a club the size of Anderlecht have shown interest," he said in a statement on www.vitesse.nl.

"At the same time there were stories circulating that (club president) Merab Jordania was not happy with my work.
    "We have talked about it and he has denied it. So for me it's sorted - I'm sticking with Vitesse. My heart lies there."

Uploads

Romain Amalfitano: Signs for Newcastle

NEWCASTLE SIGN ROMAIN AMALFITANO

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has completed his first summer signing after he clinched a deal for Reims midfielder Romain Amalfitano.
    The 22-year-old, who is out of contract at the French club, will officially become a Magpies player on July 1.
    His arrival was confirmed by the Magpies on Wednesday afternoon, although no details of the length of his contract have been released.
    Amalfitano said: "I am very happy to be a Newcastle player. I have seen a bit of the city already and it is a change from France, but one I am really looking forward to.

"When a club like Newcastle wants you to play for them, it can only be a good thing.
    "I have taken the opportunity to play in the Premier League and cannot wait to get going."
    Nice-born Amalfitano, whose older brother Morgan is at Marseille, can play either on the right side of midfield or through the middle.
    He becomes the latest recruit from France to join Pardew's revolution with Newcastle treading a well-worn path having done so hugely successfully in the recent past.

Hatem Ben Arfa and Yohan Cabaye played major roles in last season's fifth-place finish in the Barclays Premier League, while Sylvain Marveaux's opportunities were severely limited by injury and Mehdi Abeid is regarded as a promising talent for the future.
    Compatriot Gabriel Obertan is also on the Tyneside books, although he had a mixed first season with the club.
    The Magpies' transfer policy, which has become a model for clubs unable to call upon the eye-watering spending power of the Premier League's powerhouses, has reaped rich rewards in recent seasons with the likes of Cheick Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse making major impacts.

A near-10million January swoop for Cisse was funded from the proceeds of Andy Carroll's 35million departure for Liverpool a year earlier, but the fees paid for Tiote and Cabaye amounted to roughly the same total and, like the Senegal international, they have significantly enhanced both their reputations and values since.
    Amalfitano will not be the last arrival this summer with Pardew keen to add to both the size and quality of his squad as he prepares for Europa League football next season and the extra demands that will bring.
    However, he will have to do so on a budget once again, and all the while knowing his star men are vulnerable to the advances of Europe's big spenders.

Uploads

Zabaleta: Happy at Manchester City
    ARGENTINE TRIO HAPPY AT MAN CITY

Pablo Zabaleta says Manchester City's trio of Argentina internationals have no plans to leave the club in the summer.
    Zabaleta, Sergio Aguero and Carlos Tevez all played significant roles in bringing the Premier League title to the Etihad, but all have been subject to speculation about their futures.
    Tevez, who went AWOL for a large part of last season following a fall-out with City boss Roberto Mancini, has long been linked with a move to AC Milan while Real Madrid are reportedly keen on Aguero.

Zabaleta himself has been touted as a possible target for Barcelona but the defender insists he and his compatriots are happy in Manchester.
    "The three of us spend a lot of time together, Sergio lives five minutes away," Zabaleta told ManC magazine.
    "It's great for Carlos, for Sergio, for me. We play together for the national team and I played with them in the youth teams. For us it's a new experience here. Whenever you leave your country you learn a lot of things.

"The opportunity we have in England is making a big impact in our lives. The culture is different, the football is different, we are really enjoying it here. Manchester is one of the best places in the UK."

Uploads

Ian Black: Rangers target

IAN BLACK ON RANGERS RADAR

Rangers are looking at Hearts' Scottish Cup final hero Ian Black, according to a scout at the Ibrox club.
    The midfielder, who was inspirational as Hibernian were defeated at Hampden Park last weekend, is a free agent after it was decided both parties would part company this summer.
    And Rangers could look to take advantage if they succeed in having their ban on signing players lifted.

"Black's an excellent, solid, intelligent player," Rangers scout John Brown said in the Daily Record.
    "He is a player who would enhance our squad and is on the list."

Uploads

Dirk Kuyt: Hamburg an option

KUYT CONFIRMS HAMBURG INTEREST

Dirk Kuyt has admitted Hamburg are interested in signing him if he leaves Liverpool this summer, while also backing Louis van Gaal for the vacant Anfield hotseat.
    The Dutch striker's future at Anfield has been the subject of speculation as he struggles to hold down a regular place in the side.
    Kuyt is considering his options and he admits that he could stay at Liverpool if he is part of the new manager's plans at Anfield after finding himself out of favour under Kenny Dalglish.

"If Liverpool get a new coach who wants to keep me and wants to give me more games than last season, then that is a possibility," Kuyt told Bild.
    "Yes. HSV is an option. I am proud that such a great, wonderful club have shown interest in me. But, there are other offers."
    Asked whether he plans to decide on his future after next month's Euro 2012, Kuyt said: "Yes. Everything is settled with my agent Rob Jansen.
    "My agent knows what I want. He controls everything for me."

On Van Gaal, Kuyt said in De Telegraaf: "It is not usual for players to speak about candidates, but he is a Dutchman, has a great track record and has the experience that the club could put to good use.
    "At the moment, Liverpool have no coach or technical director.
    "Each club benefits from structure. You look at the Dutch national team and see that consistency and clarity are important."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast