Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 26-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 26-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 26-05-2012

Dzeko: Expects to be at City next season

DZEKO HAPPY TO STAY PUT

Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko expects to still be at the club next season and is unconcerned by the competition he is likely to face for regular playing time.
    Dzeko contributed 14 goals to City's title-winning Premier League campaign despite not being a regular starter under manager Roberto Mancini.
    One of those strikes came on the final day of the season as he notched a crucial stoppage-time equaliser against QPR to provide the platform for the dramatic Sergio Aguero winner which sealed the title.

The Bosnia international knows he will again face tough competition for a spot in Mancini's first-team next season, with fellow strikers Sergio Aguero, Mario Balotelli and Carlos Tevez all expected to remain at the Etihad Stadium.
    His lack of playing time in Manchester has prompted speculation he could join Serie A giants Juventus this summer, but his agent dismissed such reports earlier this week.
    The 26-year-old, who is likely to feature as Bosnia-Herzegovina take on Republic of Ireland in a friendly on Saturday, will not let the competition at City discourage him from fighting for a place.

He told Sky Sports: "No it's not worrying me because I think I've shown that I can play at Man City and that I deserve to play. I've scored some very important goals.
    "I'm still at Manchester City. For Man City I'm not thinking about my future. I'm just thinking about the games against Ireland and Mexico.
    "The coach decides who plays and I respect that. I always tried to do my best all season, even when I didn't play.
    "At the end I scored a goal, maybe one of the most important goals in City's history, and I'm so proud of that."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 26-05-2012

Brown: Would talk to Hull's owners

BROWN WOULD GO BACK TO TIGERS

Former Hull manager Phil Brown admits he would love another go at the Tigers job, but is aware the current "wind blowing through football" means anything other than instant success is likely to lead to the sack.
    The 52-year-old's last role was at Preston but, after failing to save them from relegation from the npower Championship, he was dismissed in December 11 months after taking over with the club just outside the League One play-off zone.
    It was a fate which befell some of his contemporaries, with Gary Megson (Sheffield Wednesday) and Lee Clark (Huddersfield) losing their jobs while riding high in the table.

Higher up, Kenny Dalglish was sacked for finishing eighth in the Barclays Premier League with Liverpool, despite winning the Carling Cup and reaching the final of the FA Cup.
    Yet Brown is still keen for a return to work and would love another chance at Hull after the recent controversial firing of Nick Barmby.
    "I thought Nicky finishing eighth in his first season as manager did a very good job," said Brown, speaking at The Grass Roots Football Show at the NEC in Birmingham.
    "The owners now have a responsibility to the club and the public to put someone in place they think will be the right choice.
    "I would certainly be willing to sit down and talk to them.

"It is a club which is dear to my heart and a club which is on the up again, and it would be a great opportunity for someone."
    Brown believes supporters are having more of a say on the future of managers, which in turn is changing the perspective of owners and chairmen.
    "I was involved at Preston last season and we were in seventh or eight, three points outside of the play-offs, and I was relieved of my duties," he said.
    "Gary Megson and Lee Clark also felt the wrath of the wind which is blowing through football.
    "The culture we live in is that managers are not getting time and that is something I have to stomach and come to terms with one day, I hope.
    "More and more supporters play a big part in getting rid of managers.
    "The style of football and philosophy of the manager is now critical and you have to jump through certain hoops and appear to be a certain character.
    "More and more you have opinions in the media which hype the situation, and while there is nothing wrong with opinion, at the same time it seems the manager's opinion is dropping further down the pecking order in terms of footballing decisions.

"People are demanding automatic success but it is not something I will shy away from.
    "I am eager to get back in there and the experience of the last two or three years will stand me in good stead."

Uploads

Lasley: New deal penned

NEW DEAL FOR LASLEY

Motherwell midfielder Keith Lasley has signed a new two-year contract.
    The 32-year-old, who captained the team in the latter stages of the season, follows fellow long-serving player Stevie Hammell in staying at Fir Park with both players awarded a testimonial match.
    Lasley has played 298 games for the club in two spells separated by a stint at Plymouth and has played his best football under current manager Stuart McCall, helping the club into the Champions League qualifiers this year.

Lasley told the club's official website: "I am delighted - I never wanted to leave Motherwell.
    "It was similar to any contract, there were negotiations back and forth but I am just so pleased it has been sorted out. I am already looking forward to next season.
    "There was other interest and a few other interested clubs and obviously you have got to think about your family.
    "But I've been here a long time now and, with how good a season we had and how much I enjoyed it as well as the relationship I have with the fans and the club, that was certainly a swaying factor in me staying."

Chief executive Leeann Dempster added: "We are thrilled Keith has joined Stevie Hammell in staying on at the club.
    "Keeping our experienced players, who are amongst our most consistent performers, was obviously high on our priority list. We are still negotiating with others but we hope both players staying will send out a message of intent."
    Defender Tim Clancy this week rejected a new contract offer amid interest from Hibernian and an npower League One club, while Lasley's central midfield partner, Steve Jennings, is considering the offer of a two-year deal.

Uploads

Tam Scobbie: Has left Falkirk for SPL

SAINTS LAND SCOBBIE

SPL outfit St Johnstone have landed Falkirk defender Tam Scobbie on a two-year deal.
    The 24-year-old, who can feature at left-back or centre-half, has left Falkirk on a Bosman free transfer.
    Scobbie had spent his whole career with Falkirk but has now opted to move to the top-flight.

He will compete with Callum Davidson for the left-back berth at McDiarmid Park.
    Falkirk have moved quickly to replace him, signing Luke Leahy from English non-league outfit Rugby Town.

Uploads

Clint Dempsey: Wants Champions League football

DEMPSEY DROPS MOVE HINT

Clint Dempsey has hinted at a move from Fulham after admitting he is desperate to play in the Champions League.
    The American striker was one of the stars of the Premier League last season, scoring 23 goals in all competitions as the Londoners finished ninth.
    Fulham have offered him a new deal to stay at the club, but in an interview with US sports magazine, the 29-year-old suggested he could be off.
    Dempsey said: "I am grateful for everything Fulham have done for me.
    "Some of the best memories I have in soccer have been there, but the fact remains that I want to play in the Champions League. I want to play at the highest level possible.

"I want to do as much as I can in my career and look back and say I made the most of all the opportunities I have had.
    "I am always going to want to play in Champions League. It is something I have never done. I would like to test myself at that level.
    "That way I can look back and say, 'Hey, I gave it a go. Either I was good enough or I wasn't good enough."'
    Dempsey added: "If I wanted to be comfortable, I would have stayed in Major League Soccer, because I would have been closer to my family and friends, and I would have been used to the way of life.
    "I am a risk-taker. I want to throw myself in the deep end and see if I can swim."

Uploads

Whelan: Waiting on a decision from Martinez

WHELAN: MARTINEZ OFFERED REDS JOB

Roberto Martinez has been offered the chance to manage Liverpool according to Wigan chairman Dave Whelan.
    Wigan boss Martinez was in Miami on Thursday for talks with Reds owner JW Henry about succeeding Kenny Dalglish as manager of the Anfield club.
    Whelan has confirmed that Liverpool have made an offer to his manager and a decision will be made within the next week.
    The only sticking point would appear to be whether Martinez will be given the level of control he demands.
    "I have just spoken to Roberto," Whelan told Sky Sports News on Friday. "He went yesterday to Miami and had a very constructive meeting with the owner of Liverpool.

"They're going to talk again on Tuesday. They've made Roberto an offer and he has agreed to consider it.
    "He is also aware that I have said 'I'd love to keep you but I need a decision by Wednesday or Thursday of next week'.
    "If we lose him we've got to move and appoint someone for Wigan Athletic.
    "In the meeting I think they've made him an offer and he's said 'what are my responsibilities'.
    "These are American owners and the rules and regulations are a bit different from what we English set down.
    "Roberto is a seven days a week, 12 hours a day worker and I don't know whether they realise how hard he works.

"He has rules and regulations to be fully in charge of football and I know he won't move anywhere unless he is fully in charge of the football.
    "I think he's considering it and I think he'll give it fair consideration."
    Asked to clarify whether Martinez is set to become Liverpool's new manager, Whelan added: "I couldn't say that 100% for sure. They have made him an offer, I don't know what that offer is.
    "I think he has said thank you for the offer but I only work when I have complete control of football.
    "But he's having another meeting with them on Tuesday when he says a decision will be made."
    "If he goes to Liverpool we will wish him good luck and get on with the business."

Asked if this meant Wigan are now actively seeking a new manager, Whelan said: "I would never do that until Roberto says one thing or the other. I want desperately to keep Roberto.
    "I have said I would like to know one way or the other by next Thursday."

Uploads

Claudio Ranieri: Has spoken with West Brom

WEST BROM HOLD MORE RANIERI TALKS

West Brom have reportedly held further talks with former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri about becoming Roy Hodgson's successor at the Hawthorns.
    Albion made initial contact with the out-of-work Ranieri two weeks ago and followed up their interest by holding a second round of talks with the Italian in London on Thursday.
    Ranieri met with Albion chairman Jeremy Piece and the club's sporting and technical director, Dan Ashworth.
    He is an attractive possibility as he will will not cost West Brom anything in compensation.

However, sources close to Albion stress the additional talks do not mean Ranieri will automatically be offered the post made vacant after Hodgson was appointed England's head coach.
    It is understood the Baggies have also made contact with former Chelsea and Manchester United midfielder Ray Wilkins.
    But Birmingham boss Chris Hughton remains high on the list of the candidates who appeal to Peace although no formal approach has yet been made to Blues.
    Hughton came close to replacing Roberto Di Matteo 15 months ago after being interviewed by Albion before Hodgson took up the post.

Uploads

Roberto Martinez: Has already held talks

REDS PUSH ON WITH MANAGER SEARCH

Liverpool are expected to step up the task of appointing their new manager in the coming days with a shortlist taking shape.
    Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has already spoken to principal owner John Henry, having taken a break from a Caribbean holiday to fly to Miami for a meeting on Thursday.
    And it is expected other candidates will now also be spoken to in a more formal capacity, with Henry and chairman Tom Werner likely to travel to England as Fenway Sports Group go about whittling down their options.
    Martinez remains the favourite with the bookmakers, although that could have something to do with the fact he is the only contender publicly confirmed as being in the running.
    But having spent just over a week assessing potential candidates FSG are ready to press ahead with the serious business of identifying the man they want to lead their bid to restore former glories at Anfield.

While ex-Porto and Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas appears to have dropped out of the reckoning it is reported the Reds have not ruled out a second approach for Swansea's Brendan Rodgers after he declined their initial invitation to open preliminary talks.
    Wigan chairman Dave Whelan, who set his manager a deadline of June 5 to decide his future, is still not convinced Martinez will take the job should it be offered because the structure Liverpool are proposing would take away the all-encompassing freedom he has enjoyed at the DW Stadium.
    However, former Wigan and Liverpool goalkeeper Chris Kirkland believes the Spaniard would regret not seizing the opportunity should it arise.
    "What he'll be thinking to himself is: 'Will I get this opportunity again?"' said the 31-year-old, who had three seasons under Martinez at Wigan before agreeing a move to newly-promoted npower Championship side Sheffield Wednesday this week.
    Kirkland added in the Wigan Evening Post: "The Liverpool job is still one of the biggest in the world - and it doesn't get offered to you every day.
    "It's a massive job and it will be a massive opportunity for somebody.
    "Whether that will be Roberto remains to be seem.

"But my gut feeling is that he'll go - there's been too much speculation for far too long for something not to be happening."
    Martinez has failed to ignite the optimism of Liverpool fans, many of whom believe a more experienced manager should be tasked with getting the club back into the Champions League.
    Former striker Peter Beardsley hopes the Spaniard, if appointed, will be able to win them over with his style of football.
    However, the ex-England international admits he believes FSG rushed into the decision to sack Dalglish after the club's eighth-placed finish this season.
    "I think they panicked by getting rid of Dalglish," he told talkSPORT.

"I think they should have given him another year and seen where it goes.
    "But Roberto has done well at Swansea and Wigan, he's come through the system and his type of football will appeal to the Liverpool fans."

Uploads

Walker: Harbours title dreams

WALKER: WE NEED MODRIC AND BALE

Kyle Walker thinks Tottenham can challenge for the title next season, but acknowledges their chances of success will be reduced if they lose their top players like Luka Modric and Gareth Bale this summer.
    Spurs kept pace with both Manchester sides for the first two thirds of last season, but a dramatic slump towards the end of the campaign meant they finished fourth in the Barclays Premier League.
    To add further misery for the north London club, they were denied a place in the Champions League as rivals Chelsea, who finished sixth in the table, won the European Cup, meaning Spurs will be playing in the Europa League next term.

Bale, who starred in the Champions League for Spurs two years ago, said at the start of this month that he would consider his future if the Londoners failed to make it in to Europe's top club competition while Modric, hotly pursued by Chelsea last summer, will decide whether to leave after Euro 2012.
    Walker, who has made the right-back spot his own, has high hopes for Spurs next season, although he admits they depend to a degree on keeping hold of Modric and Bale.
    "I think it's vital (we keep them)," said Walker at an event to promote Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Grudge Match against Manchester United's Tom Cleverley, where the players were going head-to-head on the all new frantic 'Face Off' levels from the Content Collection 2 maps for the game.

"The chairman showed last season that we are not a selling club.
    "We can challenge next year for the title, definitely. We will be up there.
    "We can achieve anything with the squad we have got. When I look around the changing room there's Gareth, Aaron Lennon, Rafa van der Vaart, Emmanuel Adebayor and even the likes of Louis Saha, Brad Friedel. There are world-class players there, experienced heads and they have helped me a lot this season.
    "It's only upwards for Tottenham."
    Tottenham looked certain qualifiers for the Champions League following an impressive 11-match unbeaten run towards the end of 2011 - a sequence Walker played a big part in putting together.
    Ultimately, their efforts proved in vain, however, thanks to UEFA's rules that state only four teams from one country are allowed to compete in the Champions League.

Knowing some members of the Chelsea squad, Saturday was a night of mixed emotions for Walker, but he insists Tottenham must move on quickly from their unfortunate disappointment and not spend their time wondering what might have been.
    "Obviously Saturday is football. That's what happens in the game," the 21-year-old said.
    "I had mixed emotions as I know Ryan Bertrand, he was making his debut and Chelsea are an English team, but I want to test myself at the highest level so I favoured Bayern a little.
    "It didn't work out as we would have liked but we just have to pick ourselves up now, dust ourselves down and challenge next year."
    Last Saturday's outcome was a disappointing way to end a season full of success for Walker.
    The youngster, signed from Sheffield United three years ago, was expected to play second fiddle to Vedran Corluka in the Spurs defence but he ousted the experienced Croatia right-back after a number of stunning displays early in the campaign.
    The Yorkshireman won his first England cap against Spain in November, clinched the PFA Young Player of the Year award and also became a father for the first time.

He suffered heartbreak at the end of a draining 49-game campaign, however, when a broken toe ruled him out of England's Euro 2012 squad.
    "It was difficult to take," the defender said.
    "It could have been my fault. I had injections for the last three weeks of the season but I just wanted to play for Tottenham.
    "I just wanted them to get in to the Champions League.
    "But footballers have these setbacks in their careers and otherwise it's been like a dream for me this season, a perfect year."

Uploads

Roberto Rosales: Linked with Newcastle

ROSALES ON NEWCASTLE RADAR

Newcastle are one of the clubs keeping tabs on Roberto Rosales, according to the agent of the highly-rated FC Twente defender.
    Magpies manager Alan Pardew is believed to have identified the signing of a right-back as one of his priorities for the summer as doubts continue to surround the future of Danny Simpson.
    Rosales is one of the players to have been linked with a move to Tyneside after impressing with his performances for Twente in the Eredivisie this season.
    The 23-year-old's representative, Claudio Barrios, says Newcastle are in the running to land the Venezuela international but has warned there are other interested clubs.

"Newcastle and FC Porto are two clubs that are closely following Roberto," Barrios said in the Evening Chronicle.
    "There is also interest from two German and two Spanish clubs. But the transfer market will be open for a long time and I remind everyone that most deals will be completed in August."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast