Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 29-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 29-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 29-05-2012

Rodgers and Martinez: Linked with Liverpool job

MARTINEZ SET FOR MORE LIVERPOOL TALKS

Liverpool's managerial situation may become clearer today as Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is expected to have more talks with Reds owners Fenway Sports Group.
    The Spaniard, who met with principal owner John Henry in Miami last week while on holiday in Barbados, is due back off his break.
    Latics chairman Dave Whelan has attempted to force the issue by bringing forward a deadline for Martinez to decide upon his future from next Tuesday to Thursday.

Indications at the weekend were that the Wigan boss was mulling over the prospect of having to work under a yet-to-be-appointed sporting director - with Dutchman Louis van Gaal strongly linked - at Anfield.
    On Monday, Swansea denied they had received a second approach from the Reds for manager Brendan Rodgers despite speculation to the contrary.
    Whelan admits he would be happy for the Northern Irishman to be installed at the expense of Martinez and criticised FSG for their handling of the recruitment process.
    "If it is true that Liverpool want to speak with Brendan Rodgers it proves they don't know who they want as manager," Whelan told ESPN.
    "I hope they choose Brendan Rodgers.
    "Roberto has told me he is speaking with Liverpool again on Tuesday.

"I have now made it clear that I want this sorted out by Thursday at the latest as we have to get on preparing for next season."
    Doubts remain as to whether Martinez wants to work under a sporting director in a new set-up at Anfield and after reports emerged suggesting FSG were keen to speak to Rodgers, who turned down their initial approach two weeks ago, the Spaniard's position as front-runner appeared to be under threat.

However, Swans chairman Huw Jenkins dismissed those claims as "pure speculation" and the club issued a statement re-iterating their - and Rodgers' - position.
    "We would like to clarify the speculation in the press surrounding our manager Brendan Rodgers," it said.
    "We would like to confirm that there has been no contact from Liverpool and nothing has changed since our previous statement on the issue."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 29-05-2012

Giovani Dos Santos: Swansea target

SWANS KEEN ON GIOVANI DOS SANTOS

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers is looking to bring Tottenham forward Giovani Dos Santos to the Liberty Stadium.
    The Mexico international has a year left to run on his contract at White Hart Lane but has grown frustrated at his lack of first-team opportunities, having had loan spells with Ipswich, Galatasaray and Racing Santander.
    The 23-year-old is set to hold talks over his future with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy following Mexico's ongoing United States tour.
    Rodgers was in attendance as the forward turned in an excellent display for Mexico in their 2-0 win over Wales in New York on Sunday, with his teasing runs causing the Dragons defence all manner of problems.

It is understood any move for Dos Santos would be a loan deal, with Swansea set to break their transfer record to bring midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson to the club on a permanent basis.
    The Swans have agreed a fee of 6.8million with Hoffenheim for the Iceland international, who scored seven goals in 18 appearances while on loan to the Swans during the second half of their maiden Premier League campaign.
    Sigurdsson, who was keen to stay at the Liberty Stadium, has already agreed personal terms and will undergo a medical later this week before he completes his move.

It will mark a full-time return to English football as the 22-year-old previously had two years at Reading between 2008 and 2010 prior to his 6million-plus move to the Bundesliga.
    Sigurdsson was named Hoffenheim's player of the year in his first campaign, despite starting only 13 matches, but having missed much of pre-season he fell out of favour and was loaned to Swansea in January, making an instant impression.
    The deal will almost double the club's previous highest outlay of 3.5million for striker Danny Graham last summer.

Uploads

Eden Hazard: Said he will be joining Chelsea

HAZARD ANNOUNCES MOVE TO CHELSEA

Eden Hazard has finally ended speculation about his future by announcing he had decided to join Chelsea next season.
    The 21-year-old Lille playmaker, who had long been linked with a move to the Barclays Premier League, revealed he had chosen the newly-crowned European champions on his official Twitter account.
    He wrote: "I'm signing for the champion's league winner."

Hazard earlier continued to keep fans of several clubs in suspense by posting he had "made up his mind" who he was going to join but declined to name the team in question.
    There was no official confirmation on Monday evening from either Chelsea or Lille that a deal had been reached over the signing of Hazard, who has been rated at 32million.
    But reports in France suggest the Belgium star has agreed a five-year contract worth as much as 100,000 a week after tax.
    Hazard has become one of the most sought-after players in the game this season and has actively flirted with a host of European giants.
    Manchester United and Manchester City looked to be favourites for his signature until Chelsea's surprise European Cup triumph last weekend.
    Hazard admitted that was a game changer and it was telling he used the expression 'Champions League winners' to describe the Blues on Monday evening.

Chelsea would not even had been in the competition next season had they not stunned Bayern Munich last weekend.
    The Blues may also have been more attractive both from a playing and financial perspective, amid suggestions City could not guarantee first-team football and baulked at Hazard's wage demands.
    The Belgium star, who could line up against England in Saturday's friendly at Wembley, enjoyed a stellar season as Lille finished third in Ligue 1.
    He struck a hat-trick in what was almost certainly his final game for the French outfit last weekend.
    He had already confirmed his preferred destination was England, recently telling Belgian news website HLN: "It will anyway be Manchester City, Manchester United or Chelsea.

"The decision will depend on the amount of play I would see and the position where I would play.
    "Not everyone can say that he can make a choice between the three top clubs."
    When asked about a possible move to Chelsea, Hazard was quoted as saying by France Football: "Now, yes. They won the Champions League so they will be back in that competition next season.
    "It's important for me to play in that competition. Chelsea are a great team, with great players."
    Hazard's agent John Bico recently claimed an agreement on personal terms had been reached with all parties interested in his client.
    Hazard's announcement on Monday night was also another demonstration of the power of Twitter, with his anticipated revelation one of the hot topics of debate on the social networking website.

Eden Hazard Factfile:
    1991: January 7 - Born La Louviere, Belgium.
    2005: Joins the youth academy at French club Lille.
    2007: Signs three-year professional contract with LOSC.
    September - Makes his amateur debut for Lille's reserve team.
    November - Makes his senior debut against Nancy.
    2008: September - Scores a late equaliser in Lille's 2-2 draw against Auxerre, becoming the youngest goalscorer in the club's history.
    October - Makes Belgium debut against Luxembourg at the age of 17.
    November - Agrees three-year contract extension.
    2009 - Named France's Young Player of the Year.
    2010: Becomes first player to retain France's Young Player of the Year award.
    September: Dropped to the bench by Lille coach Rudi Garcia due to inconsistency.
    2011: May - Helps Lille win their first league title since 1954, and their first league and cup double since 1946. Voted Ligue 1 Player of the Year.
    October - Scores first international goal in 4-1 win over Kazakhstan.
    2012: May - Confirms his decision to leave Lille at the end of the season. Courts interest from Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea.
    May 28 - Announces on Twitter that he will sign for Chelsea.

Uploads

Rangers: Continue court battle

RANGERS GO TO COURT OVER EMBARGO

Rangers will today continue their battle against the Scottish Football Association in the Court of Session in Edinburgh.
    The club launched an application for a judicial review against a 12-month transfer embargo on Friday after losing an SFA appeal the previous week.
    The embargo was imposed as punishment for bringing football into disrepute by failing to pay 13million in tax last season.
    The club are arguing that the SFA judicial panel did not have the power to impose the sanction, specifically a ban on registering players aged 18 and over, as it was not explicitly laid down in their rules.

However, the SFA articles of association include a clause that a judicial panel can implement any sanctions they deem appropriate.
    The panel, which was chaired by a QC, stated that the club's actions were second only to match-fixing in their seriousness and that they had considered expelling or suspending Rangers from the SFA.
    The original decision was upheld by an appeal tribunal chaired by serving judge Lord Carloway.

The next conventional step for Rangers was to take their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland but they took the controversial move of legal action, which is prohibited under FIFA rules.
    The case is being presented with the help of the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund.

Uploads

Bruno Soares: On the move

BRUNO SOARES INTO FORTUNA

Bundesliga newcomers Fortuna Dusseldorf have made their first new signing following promotion to the top flight with defender Bruno Soares arriving from Duisburg on a free transfer.
    The 23-year-old has signed a three-year contract with Fortuna after spending the last three years with Duisburg.
    The Brazilian central defender has made a total of 62 appearances in the second division for Duisburg and, like many members of the Fortuna squad, this will now be his first taste of Bundesliga football.

His contract with Fortuna's North-Rhine Westphalian neighbours expires at the end of June, allowing him to switch clubs for free.
    Fortuna's promotion to the top flight was confirmed by a German Football Association tribunal on Friday after they rejected Hertha Berlin's appeal against the outcome of their play-off fixture, enabling Fortuna to now start planning for their first season back in the big time in 15 years.

Uploads

Diame: Claims talks with Dalglish took place

DIAME REVEALS DALGLISH TALKS

Mohamed Diame has admitted he was hoping to join Liverpool only for Kenny Dalglish's sacking to see the move collapse.
    The 24-year-old is available on a free transfer after seeing out his contract at Wigan this summer.
    A number of clubs at home and abroad are thought to be chasing his signature, with Diame given permission to leave the Senegal squad this week to hold talks with interested clubs.
    Diame has revealed he held discussions with Dalglish about a possible move to Anfield and that he was sad to see the deal fall through following the Scot's departure earlier this month.
    "I met before Kenny Dalglish and we talked about next season, but God decided to finish this situation," Diame told Sky Sports News.

"It is true I was very sad in my head as I was thinking to go there, but that is OK as I think I have got other opportunities to go to another club."
    Diame revealed he has received offers from Spain, France and Turkey, but that his preference is to stay in the Premier League.
    "I am free and not everybody is free in this moment like a midfield player like me and that is why I have got a lot of clubs interested in me," added Diame.
    "I have to be composed and make a good decision for my future. I have got some offers from Spain, from France, from Turkey, but I really want to stay in the Premier League."

Uploads

Chris Hughton: High on the list

WEST BROM STEP UP MANAGER BID

West Brom are to step up their bid to secure head coach Roy Hodgson's successor after a month of interviewing and sounding out potential candidates, Press Association Sport understands.
    Birmingham boss Chris Hughton remains high on Albion's list of preferred targets although the expected official approach to speak to the former Newcastle boss has still to be made.

Hughton came close to being appointed 16 months ago before new England head coach Hodgson became available after his dismissal by Liverpool.
    But there are other candidates in contention with the Baggies expecting Blues to fight hard to keep hold of Hughton who is operating on a 12-month rolling contract.
    Former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri is keen to return to the Premier League, and has been interviewed twice by West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace.

But Fiorentina are also being linked with the 60-year-old Italian who left Stamford Bridge eight years ago.
    Ex-Manchester United and Chelsea midfielder Ray Wilkins and former Schalke manager Ralf Rangnick were spoken to last week by Albion but are not thought to be front-line contenders.

Uploads

Odil Ahmedov: Would like to join Arsenal

AHMEDOV EYES ARSENAL MOVE

Uzbekistan midfielder Odil Ahmedov is hoping Arsenal revive their interest in him this summer after revealing he is keen on joining the Gunners from Anzhi Makhachkala.
    Ahmedov claimed last year that Arsene Wenger's side were chasing his signature but a move to the Emirates Stadium failed to materialise.
    However the 24-year-old, who joined Russian giants Anzhi in February 2011 from native side Pahktakor Tashkent, has not given up on joining the Premier League club.
    He told regnum.ru: "I'd like to try out playing football in England and the team I favour the most is Arsenal."

Ahmedov, who primarily plays as a defensive midfielder but has also been used as a centre-back, says he is pleased with his progress in Russia but could be tempted by a move to La Liga or the Premier League if a club comes in for him.
    "I'm satisfied with my own performance in the Russian league but if there is an offer from Spain or England then I won't say no," he added.
    Ahmedov was voted Anzhi's best player of 2011, ahead of Samuel Eto'o and Yury Zhirkov.
    Arsenal could see him as an alternative to Rennes holding midfielder Yann M'Vila, with whom they have been heavily linked.

Uploads

Leeds: In talks with investors

LEEDS TALKING WITH INVESTORS

Leeds have confirmed they are in talks with an unnamed group of potential investors.
    Speculation has been mounting since the weekend that the club could be the subject of a possible takeover, while it is understood discussions took place in Leeds last week.
    A club statement read: "Further to media reports on Tuesday morning, the club can confirm that talks are taking place regarding investment for the long-term future.

"The club has always publicly stated that it would welcome potential investment, but has maintained a belief whereby the quality of the investor is the most important factor in terms of the long-term development of Leeds United. No further comment will be made at this stage."
    Canada-based Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE), owners of NHL ice hockey franchise Toronto Maple Leafs, have been mentioned on internet fans' forums, but it has been reported the company have denied any involvement in last week's meetings.
    Leeds United Supporters Trust also commented on the talks.

A statement on LUST's website read: "We are aware of firm interest from a number of parties looking to buy Leeds United...We understand that Leeds United are in talks with at least two separate groups. We also understand there is one firm bid on the table at present.
    "In February we responded to [chairman] Ken Bates' suggestion that we 'put our money where our mouth is' by asking any potential investors, who shared the aims and ambitions of our members and of our Vision Statement, to contact the Trust with a view to working together to take Mr Bates up on his offer.

"We developed a presentation so interested parties could see how working with LUST could help them and have been in contact with a number of people to explore ways of bringing about change for the better at Elland Road.
    "As part of this ongoing work we have spoken to two groups who are interested in buying Leeds United. At this stage it is not possible for us to go into details about our conversations with these groups, as with a firm offer on the table we would not want to jeopardise any current negotiations."

Uploads

Bas Dost: Wanted by Wolfsburg

WOLFSBURG HEAD DOST CHASE

Wolfsburg remain favourites to clinch the signing of Bas Dost, despite interest from Premier League newcomers West Ham.
    Sky Sports understands talk of a 7million bid from West Ham is wide of the mark, although they do have an interest in the Heerenveen marksman.
    However, Wolfsburg have been hot on the trail of the 22-year-old, who finished as top scorer in Holland last season.

Dost's agent Henk Nienhuis has confirmed West Ham are keen but insists interest is stronger from elsewhere.
    "West Ham is a very nice club," Nienhuis told Algemeen Dagblad. "But there are currently three other serious candidates, with Wolfsburg still by far the number one."
    The likes of Atletico Madrid, Borussia Monchengladbach and Everton have all been linked with Dost in recent weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast