Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 31-05-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 31-05-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 31-05-2012

Frank Lampard: Faces thigh scan today

INJURY D-DAY FOR LAMPARD

Frank Lampard has emerged as a major doubt for England's Euro 2012 campaign and faces a crucial scan today to determine whether he can travel with the squad.
    The Chelsea midfielder suffered a thigh injury during a training session with England yesterday and there are concerns within the national team camp that the 33-year-old will be unfit for the tournament.
    Should the worst fears be realised, England would be left reeling from the second withdrawal of an experienced midfielder this week, after Manchester City's Gareth Barry was forced to pull out with an abdomen injury suffered during the 1-0 win over Norway.
    Barry was replaced by Everton defender Phil Jagielka, and Lampard's place would go to Liverpool's Jordan Henderson, on stand-by despite a mixed first campaign at Anfield after his summer move from Sunderland.
    Although manager Roy Hodgson had to submit his final squad of 23 with UEFA on Tuesday, he is permitted to replace an injured player after that deadline.

If Lampard is ruled out by injury, it would be a cruel blow for a player who returned to favour at Chelsea under Roberto Di Matteo over the closing months of the season, winning the FA Cup and Champions League with the Blues.
    Participating at the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine was looking uncertain as Lampard became a bit-part player at Stamford Bridge under former manager Andre Villas-Boas.
    But the change of manager transformed his fortunes, and Lampard has been looking forward to playing a key role for his country this summer.
    Lampard, who turns 34 next month, said: "I did wonder if I was going to make it (the Euros) earlier in the season. I'm not silly. I wondered if I'd be out.

"I took nothing for granted at that stage and it just shows you how football can turn, not just for myself.
    "A few in the squad might have been out of the picture a few months ago and now they are in the picture.
    "I can only be thankful that I just kept going through those times."
    Speaking this week, prior to his injury, he added: "Is it the last chance with England? Possibly. One day it might be taken out of my hands, so it's not an easy one to answer.
    "I don't see myself retiring or taking myself out of it in the near future, so I wouldn't want to call it the last one necessarily.
    "But I'm no fool and I know that age is a factor and, when you're at the top international level, you don't go on forever. Nobody does. I will take this as potentially one of my last chances.
    "This year in the Champions League I had that same mindset. I didn't think it was my last year, but you know that it won't go on forever and it makes you appreciate it even more."
    England face Belgium at Wembley on Saturday, which means a sight of Eden Hazard ahead of an anticipated move by the young Lille midfielder to Chelsea.

Lampard is expecting "great things" of Hazard at Chelsea after receiving the seal of approval from Didier Drogba and Joe Cole.
    Lampard said: "It's a very exciting time for the club and I'm looking forward to seeing what he's about.
    "Everyone I speak to says he is a very top player, a very top young player.
    "If he can bring that youth and hunger and ability into our team, then he'll be very welcome."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 31-05-2012

Edin Dzeko: Linked with a summer switch to Bayern Munich

BAYERN WON'T RUSH DZEKO DEAL

Bayern Munich sporting director Christian Nerlinger claims the club feel under no pressure to press ahead with a proposed move for Edin Dzeko.
    Reports have suggested that Bayern have made Manchester City striker Dzeko a top summer transfer target.
    They are looking to bolster their firepower after seeing Ivica Olic leave as a free agent and are keen to bring in support for the prolific Mario Gomez.
    Dzeko boasts a proven track record in the Bundesliga from his time at Wolfsburg and would have no problem slipping into the Bayern camp.
    The UEFA Champions League finalists are in no rush to make an official approach to City, though, and have rubbished rumours claiming they have already agreed personal terms with the Bosnia international.

"We are in no hurry with regard to this," Nerlinger told BILD.
    "We are under no pressure."
    On the reports claiming Dzeko has already agreed to a move, Nerlinger added: "Those reports are just not true."

Uploads

Paul Lambert: Wanted by Randy Lerner

VILLA MAKE MOVE FOR LAMBERT

Paul Lambert's representatives are to meet with Aston Villa today as the Norwich manager looks set to switch to their Premier League rivals.
    Lambert has emerged as the leading target for the Villa Park vacancy and Sky Sports revealed on Wednesday that the Midlands side were ready to make an official approach.
    It is understood that the highly-regarded Scottish boss had a row with the Canaries board on Wednesday night, which could hasten his departure for Villa.

The Villans have been searching for a new manager following their decision to axe Alex McLeish earlier this month after just one unhappy season at the helm.
    Lambert has earned plaudits throughout the game for his achievements with the Canaries as he guided the Carrow Road club to back-to-back promotions before enjoying an impressive first season in the Premier League.
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Roberto Martinez were earlier in the frame for the Villa job, with the former Manchester United striker opting to stay with Molde, while Wigan's Martinez is due to remain at the DW Stadium despite also being linked with Liverpool.

Villa chairman Randy Lerner stated when McLeish was axed that he was looking to bring in a "new manager who sees the club's potential and embraces our collective expectations".
    And it appears that Lambert fits the bill, despite the Canaries previously vowing they would fight to retain his services and the former Colchester, Wycombe and Livingston boss stating recently he was happy in his current post.

Uploads

Vermaelen: Will stay at Arsenal forever

VERMAELEN PLEDGE TO GUNNERS

Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen has revealed he would be happy to spend the rest of his career at the club.
    The 26-year-old, who is hoping to face England this weekend for Belgium, has made 67 appearances since joining the club three years ago.
    "I will stay at Arsenal forever. There will be no transfer for me," Vermaelen told the Daily Mirror.
    "I love London. I've got a house there, I'm happy there and I don't see any reason to ever leave the club."

Uploads

Walter Mazzarri: Set for contract extension

MAZZARRI STAYING PUT AT NAPOLI

Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri will remain in charge of the club next season and will be offered a one-year contract extension, club president Aurelio De Laurentiis has confirmed.
    Reports in Italy have linked Mazzarri, who is under contract until 2014, with a move away from the San Paolo stadium this summer, with Fiorentina and Roma among the reported clubs keen to acquire the 50-year-old's services.
    "I had a meeting with Mazzarri and I'm very satisfied," De Laurentiis said to Gazzetta dello Sport. "We have spoken at length and analysed the season while also setting the basis for next season.

"We are in perfect harmony in order to bring about the project so we can have a positive season.
    "I have also started negotiations in order for Mazzarri to extend his contract with the club for a further season."
    Mazzarri, who led Napoli to Coppa Italia triumph earlier this month, is under contract with the Naples outfit until June 2014.
    "With the president, we share the need to continue to work for the growth of Napoli," Mazzarri said. "We will make a few signings to reinforce the team, taking into consideration the financial fair play model as well as the opportunities the market will offer."

Mazzarri joined Napoli in October 2009 and led the club to a third-placed finish in his first season in charge.
    Napoli finished fifth in Serie A this term and will play in next season's Europa League.

Uploads

Brendan Rodgers: Wants to be next Liverpool boss

BRENDAN RODGERS SET FOR LIVERPOOL

Brendan Rodgers will be confirmed as the new Liverpool manager just as soon as the club's owners Fenway Sports Group agree on a compensation package with Swansea.
    The 39-year-old was offered the job, believed to be on a three-year contract, after talks with FSG on Wednesday afternoon and he returned to south Wales to tell chairman Huw Jenkins he wanted to take up their offer.
    It is anticipated Liverpool will have to pay between 4million and 5million as Rodgers only signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract in February.
    A resolution is expected to be found within the next 24 hours with the Northern Irishman likely to be presented as successor to Kenny Dalglish on Friday.
    "I was contacted by Liverpool last night and they expressed their wish to speak to Brendan regarding their vacancy," said Jenkins in a statement on Swansea's official website on Wednesday night

"I had a discussion with Brendan to talk about their interest and his views on whether he wanted to speak to Liverpool.
    "He expressed his wish with me to do that and he has spoken to Liverpool today.
    "Following on from discussions with Liverpool's owners, Brendan has informed us that he would like to take up their offer to manage Liverpool.
    "At the moment we are currently in talks with the owners to agree compensation.
    "We are trying to finalise that within the next 24 hours."
    Rodgers moved ahead of Wigan manager Roberto Martinez, who held talks with Reds' principal owner John Henry in Miami last week, in the pecking order in the last couple of days.

He had initially rejected their advances 12 days ago as he did not want to become involved in a wide-ranging selection process to canvass the best available talent.
    However, when it became clear FSG had narrowed down their options to two he relented and discussions were conducted swiftly.
    Despite Rodgers' recently-signed contract Jenkins insisted they would not block a move to one of Europe's most decorated clubs.
    "Although we are very disappointed to lose such a talented, young British manager, we didn't wish to stand in his way," added the Swans chairman.
    "As always at Swansea City, we want people working here who are fully committed to the task ahead.
    "We wish Brendan every success in the future. We will always remain good friends and we thank him for all his hard work and passion at this football club over the past two years.
    "We shall now refocus and quickly start the process of finding his replacement to continue the great work Brendan has carried out at this football club."
    It remains to be see exactly what system Rodgers will work under at Anfield as FSG were keen to split the workload of former director of football Damien Comolli, who was sacked in April.
    Dutchman Louis van Gaal emerged as the leading candidate to take a sporting director role but it is known both Martinez and Rodgers had expressed a desire to have greater control of footballing affairs.
    With their manager almost in place Henry and chairman Tom Werner, who will attended the Premier League's chairmen's meeting tomorrow, have to decide whether that structure can still work.

Rodgers has won many plaudits for the way Swansea played on their return to the top flight this season and while his initial link to Liverpool left fans unimpressed they appeared to have warmed to the idea in the last couple of days.
    Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler believes Rodgers deserves his chance but has warned next season may be another testing one for the Anfield faithful.
    "For what Brendan Rodgers has achieved at Swansea, he deserves huge respect," Fowler told paddypower.com.
    "He's worked under Jose Mourinho at Chelsea so he knows the score and he's worked with top players.
    "It'd be a massive step up for Rodgers to manage Liverpool, if he gets the job, as expected now.
    "The new manager will need to bring in new players again to take Liverpool from a top-eight club to a top-four club.
    "That's going to be really difficult. It's a massive challenge.
    "Because the top four are going to bring in new players too and that gulf increases again.
    "I have to say it, right now the 2012-13 season looks like it's going to be another difficult one for Liverpool fans."

Brendan Rodgers factfile
    1973: Born January 26 in Carnlough, Northern Ireland
    1987: Begins his career as a youngster with Ballymena United and makes 12 appearances over a three-year period, also attracts the interest of Manchester United but is not signed up by the Old Trafford club.
    1990: Is signed by Reading at the age of 18. Plays for the Royals' reserves but is forced to retire due to injury at the age of 20.
    2004: After working as Reading's academy director Rodgers is offered the chance to coach the Chelsea youth team after being headhunted by Jose Mourinho.
    2006: Is promoted to become reserve team manager at Stamford Bridge.
    2008: November 24 - Is handed his first senior managerial role as he is named as Watford manager. The Hornets were in the Championship relegation zone in January but Rodgers guides them to safety and an eventual 13th place finish.
    2009: June 5 - His impressive work at Vicarage Road sees him handed the reins at former club Reading.
    December 16 - After a string of disappointing results Rodgers leaves the Madejski Stadium club by mutual consent.
    2010: July 16 - After nearly seven months out of the game, during which he later revealed he failed to get an interview for a League Two position he had applied for, Rodgers is appointed Swansea manager following Paolo Sousa's departure to Leicester.
    2011: May 30 - Guides Swansea to play-off glory at Wembley. Scott Sinclair, a former protege of Rodgers' at Chelsea, grabs a hat-trick in a 4-2 win over Reading at Wembley as the Swans become the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League.
    2012: Named Premier League Manager of the Month for January after wins over Aston Villa and Arsenal and a draw with Chelsea.
    February - Signs a new three-and-a-half year deal at the Liberty Stadium. Insists his focus is on Swansea after being linked with Tottenham and Chelsea.
    May 13 - Swansea finish 11th in the Premier League after beating Liverpool 1-0 at home, the result proves to be Kenny Dalglish's last game in charge of the Reds.
    May 18 - Rodgers turns down an approach from Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group to discuss the managerial vacancy at Anfield.
    May 29 - Rodgers holds talks with Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins after returning from holiday in New York amid growing speculation that Liverpool are to renew their interest in the Northern Irishman. Swansea insist the meeting is routine.
    May 30 - Jenkins confirms Rodgers has told him he wants to take up an offer to manage Liverpool, with the clubs discussing compensation.

Uploads

Roberto Martinez: Staying with Wigan

WHELAN: MARTINEZ COMMITTED TO WIGAN

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan says manager Roberto Martinez is staying with the Barclays Premier League club.
    The Spaniard was linked with moves to Liverpool and Aston Villa but according to Whelan will stick with the Latics, having been given his chairman's word he will be backed in the transfer market.
    Whelan told ESPN: "Roberto is staying with us and I've agreed to his request to up our spending on youth development and training facilities.
    "That's going to be pretty costly as I have agreed to a full-sized indoor pitch - and that will cost 1.5million.
    "Roberto's very keen on that aspect of the club. I have also agreed with him to bring in three or four new players."

Martinez, linked to Villa despite rejecting an offer to manage the midlands club at the start of last season, met Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group in America last week to discuss the current vacancy at Anfield.
    However, Whelan told ESPN: "They set down their rules on how they saw the role and the way they wanted the team run and that was not the way Roberto would do it.

"Roberto has his own way of doing things but they are American owners who have their own ideas of how it should be done.
    "They are entitled to want to do it their way and Liverpool are a big club so I can see why Brendan Rodgers has opted to go there - and good luck to him he's a fine coach.

"But I don't think Swansea are going to be too pleased," Whelan said. "They lost Roberto to us and they were none too happy about that and now they have lost Brendan so I imagine they will be even more unhappy right now."

Uploads

Gaston Ramirez: A wanted man

MAN CITY INTERESTED IN RAMIREZ - AGENT

Juventus and Manchester City are not the only clubs interested in signing Bologna playmaker Gaston Ramirez this summer, according to FIFA agent Pablo Betancourt.
    The Uruguay international has been strongly linked with a move away from Bologna and is a target of several top European clubs.
    "I can confirmed that Juventus and Manchester City have contacted me to show an interest," Ramirez's representative Betancourt said to www.calciomercato.com.
    "But there is especially an interesting offer from Wolfsburg and also another one from an important Spanish club.

"I think considering all the offers, the possibility that he could leave (this summer) could happen.
    "I would like to point out that there are several agents working on the player but from June 1, I will have his exclusive rights."
    Ramirez scored eight goals in 33 league appearances for Bologna this season and the 21-year-old is under contract with the Serie A outfit until June 2016.

Uploads

Romelu Lukaku: Hoping to feature in manager's plans

LUKAKU PLANNING MANAGER TALKS

Chelsea teenager Romelu Lukaku intends to speak with whoever is named as manager next season over his role at the club, and has reiterated he would be open to a loan move.
    The Belgium international striker has struggled to make an impact at Stamford Bridge since his arrival from Anderlecht last summer, with both former boss Andre Villas-Boas and interim manager Roberto Di Matteo favouring more experienced players up front.
    Lukaku has grown frustrated with his bit-part role this season and plans to speak with the manager about his lack of playing time, whether it be Di Matteo or someone else.
    He told the Daily Star: "I will need to talk to the coach about my future.
    "I hope for a coach next year who gives chances to young players, not like last year. If he does not want to talk to me, then I'm considering a loan.

"But at the moment my focus is on Chelsea. I will go with them on summer tour and I hope to get some new chances.
    "I think I deserved more chances at Chelsea. What I really need is three months to prove myself.
    "Last year I played a game, then nothing for three weeks except games with the reserves and then I was on the bench. That is not easy for a young player. I also said that to Chelsea and they understood my concerns.
    "I have become a better player though. I lost weight, I move a lot more on the field and I really think I have the ability to play for Chelsea."
    Lukaku could have his chance to impress on Saturday when Belgium take on England in a pre-Euro 2012 friendly at Wembley and insists there will be no hard feelings with Blues team-mate and Three Lions defender John Terry if he scores.

The 19-year-old added: "If I score against England at Wembley I will joke about it with John Terry."
    The striker is looking forward to the imminent arrival of Belgium team-mate Eden Hazard at Stamford Bridge, with the midfielder expected to join from Lille in a reported 32million deal.
    He will become the fourth Belgian to join Chelsea since last summer and Lukaku added: "I am glad he comes to Chelsea. He will make us stronger.
    "I was hoping for this transfer for a long time. I told him, that if he needs anything I will be there for him.
    "Maybe in the future all Belgians can play in the Chelsea team: Thibaut Courtois, Kevin De Bruyne, Hazard and me. That would be great."

Uploads

Gus Poyet: Linked with Swansea job

JONES BACKED FOR SWANSEA

Wigan number two Graeme Jones has emerged as the favourite to replace Brendan Rodgers at Swansea after leading bookmakers suspended betting on the identity of the Welsh club's next manager.
    Brighton boss Gus Poyet and Blackpool's Ian Holloway had led the betting after Rodgers informed Swansea of his desire to leave and sign a three-year deal at Liverpool. The two clubs are set to agree a compensation deal today.
    But a surge of bets on Jones saw the 42-year-old's odds come in as far as 1/10.
    Jones worked at Swansea as Roberto Martinez's assistant before joining the Spaniard at the DW Stadium in 2009. He was approached by the Swans to take over from Paolo Sousa prior to their appointment of Rodgers in 2010.

But Press Association Sport understands Wigan have yet to receive an approach for Jones.
    Reports suggest Rodgers will be taking three members of his backroom staff to Anfield, with assistant manager Colin Pascoe, analyst Chris Davies and conditioning expert Glen Driscoll all set to make the move to Merseyside.
    But Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has moved quickly, holding preliminary discussions with senior officials at the club over their pursuit of a replacement for Rodgers.
    It is understood the club had started to make preparations for life without Rodgers as early as February, holding a series of meetings when he was linked with Tottenham in order to avoid being left high and dry in the event of his departure.
    Poyet, Holloway, Birmingham's Chris Hughton and former Denmark international Michael Laudrup have all been linked with the vacancy at the Liberty Stadium, but it is Jones who now appears the clear favourite for the role.

Former striker Jones was a popular figure during his previous spell in south Wales, and would fit the club's desire to appoint someone willing to continue the attractive passing style that has served Swansea well, having helped Martinez implement that approach.
    Rodgers' exit had also raised question marks over whether the club record 6.8million signing of Gylfi Sigurdsson would go ahead.
    The Iceland international made a huge impression on loan at the Liberty from Hoffenheim during the second half of last season, and Swansea announced earlier this week that they had agreed a fee and terms with the player.
    And it is understood that the club still expect the 22-year-old to have a medical and complete his permanent move to the Liberty Stadium in the coming days, despite the uncertainty over the managerial situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast