Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-06-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-06-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 01-06-2012

Brendan Rodgers: All set for Anfield

Jose Mourinho says his friend and former colleague Brendan Rodgers will have plenty of ideas at new club Liverpool.
    Rodgers, who will be officially presented at a press conference on Friday morning after a compensation package was agreed with Swansea, worked as part of Mourinho's staff when he was in charge at Chelsea.
    And Mourinho, now in charge at Real Madrid, told The Sun: "I am very happy with his appointment at Liverpool, especially because he did it as a consequence of all his amazing work at Swansea.

"Brendan is a good man, a family guy and a friend.
    "When he joined us at Chelsea he was a young coach with lots of desire to learn.
    "But he was also a coach with ideas, who was ready not just to listen but also to communicate and share."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-06-2012

Rangers: New twist

The Scottish Football Association have referred Rangers' disrepute charge back to their internal appeals process after deciding challenging the Court of Session decision to quash a transfer embargo would go against their principles.
    Lord Glennie ruled an SFA judicial panel and appeal tribunal had acted outside their powers by handing a 12-month transfer ban to Rangers and proposed the matter be considered again by the second SFA tribunal.
    The SFA were disappointed with the club's decision to take the matter to court and, although they were given 21 days to appeal against the decision, they will follow the judge's suggestion.
    An SFA statement read: "Football must always operate within the law of the land. None the less, it is regrettable that a member club has sought recourse for a football disciplinary matter through increasingly costly civil court action.

"The right of appeal is now open to the Scottish FA through the Court of Session.
    "However, by so doing, the very principles on which the Scottish FA - and, for that matter, UEFA and FIFA - are founded, namely football disciplinary matters being dealt with within its own jurisdiction, would be fundamentally compromised.
    "Therefore, it is our intention to accede to Lord Glennie's request and refer the matter back to the appellate tribunal, which will consider the remaining sanctions open to it.
    "Details of a new hearing date will be confirmed in early course."
    The SFA have not launched any additional action against Rangers over their decision to take the matter to court.
    They stated they were bound by the supervisory jurisdiction of the court under Scots law, like all other decision-making bodies in the country.
    The statement added: "With our Annual General Meeting taking place on Wednesday, June 6, it will be appropriate to remind member clubs that by very dint of their membership of the Scottish FA, they accept and abide by the Articles of Association."
    The governing body also defended themselves against criticism over their rules after Lord Glennie agreed with Rangers' assertion that they offered no recourse for an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, and that the transfer ban was unlawful as it was not specified in the possible sanctions.
    The SFA said: "It is important to reiterate that the additional sanction of a registration embargo was imposed by an independent judicial panel chaired by a leading QC, Gary Allan, and upheld by an appellate tribunal chaired by a Supreme Court Judge, Lord Carloway.
    "That in itself vindicates the robustness of the Judicial Panel Protocol, which has been questioned in hackneyed comment in certain quarters this week.
    "It should be noted that two vastly experienced Supreme Court judges, Lord Carloway and Lord Glennie, arrived at diametrically opposed viewpoints on the same issue."
    FIFA had put pressure on the SFA when they stated they expected "direct action" against any club that goes to the courts.
    However, Rangers could yet face severe sanctions when the original case goes back before a three-member appeal tribunal.

The explicit punishments stated in the SFA's rule 66 are a maximum 100,000 fine, which has already been administered, suspension or expulsion from participation in the game, ejection from the Scottish Cup or termination of membership.
    The initial judicial panel admitted they had considered throwing Rangers out of the SFA before deciding a transfer embargo was appropriate under one of the organisation's articles which allowed for sanctions considered appropriate.
    Lord Glennie ruled that clause inadmissible in a disrepute charge.
    The charge was sparked by the club's failure to pay tax last season - they currently owe Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs more than 21million.
    Rangers, who remain under transfer embargo under SPL rules until they come out of administration, would have no recourse to appeal against the latest tribunal's decision, provided the sanction is in the rule book, given they themselves proved that the CAS route was not open to them.
    The club's decision to go to court has sparked warnings over unilateral FIFA action against Scottish football and criticism from SPL chairmen including St Mirren's Stewart Gilmour and Kenny Cameron of Inverness.

Cameron told his club's official website: "Taking sporting matters to the Court of Session was a serious mistake.
    "The potential repercussions are something we certainly don't need at what is already a difficult time for Scottish football."
    (reopens) While Rangers are not currently facing additional action over taking the case to court, despite FIFA anger over the club's move, it is understood the SFA feel their response will satisfy the world governing body given the final decision now rests within football circles.
    Writing on his Twitter account, SFA chief executive Stewart Regan said: "We are in consultation with FIFA at present."

Frank Lampard: Injury blow

Frank Lampard has been ruled out of England's Euro 2012 campaign.
    The Chelsea midfielder suffered a thigh injury in training on Wednesday and went for a scan on Thursday to discover the extent of the damage.
    However, Lampard and manager Roy Hodgson were preparing for the worst and the Football Association have now confirmed the player, who will be 34 next month, will not be part of England's 23-man squad.
    It is devastating news for England, who have already had to deal with the loss of one midfielder, Manchester City's Gareth Barry due to a stomach injury suffered in Saturday's friendly win over Norway.

And for Lampard, it potentially spells the end of his England career, with Hodgson expected to offer the younger midfielders a chance to prove themselves during next autumn's World Cup qualifying programme.
    Jordan Henderson will be called into the England squad providing Hodgson gets the green light from UEFA, which should be automatic as Lampard has suffered a fresh injury after Tuesday's deadline.
    Lampard was only in his second day of training, having joined the Three Lions party late after winning the Champions League with his club, in Munich, on May 19.

Hodgson said: "It's a huge blow for the team, especially coming after the loss of another senior player in Gareth Barry.
    "The fact that the doctor cannot guarantee Frank could take part in any of the group matches means we have to replace him in the central midfield area.
    "Apart from it being a huge blow to me and the team, I'm especially disappointed for Frank himself.
    "He has been in very good form and was looking forward to the tournament.
    "He made a huge contribution towards us qualifying for the Euros so it is cruel to be forced out through injury just before the tournament."

Ledesma: Won't be leaving Lazio

Lazio midfielder Cristian Ledesma will remain at the club next season despite reported interest from Manchester City, according to the player's agent.
    City manager Roberto Mancini is a known admirer of the 29-year-old Ledesma, who missed just one league game for Lazio this season.
    "Mancini likes Ledesma," Ledesma's agent Vincenzo D'Ippolito said to Gazzetta dello Sport. "Each year this interest is renewed but Cristian has made a life choice and wants to remain in Rome.

"He is not the classic player that thinks about money above everything else.
    "I believe he will end his career with the Biancoceleste.
    "He is ready to be the captain of Lazio next season."
    Ledesma joined Lazio in 2006 from Lecce and is under contract with the Serie A outfit until June 2015.

Dave Whelan: Villa are too small for Martinez

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has pledged to do all he can to keep manager Roberto Martinez happy at the club.
    A week ago it appeared the Latics owner would be looking for a new boss after the Spaniard held talks with Liverpool over the vacancy at Anfield.
    That job has now been offered to Swansea's Brendan Rodgers but Martinez has rejected the advances of Aston Villa for the second successive summer as he wants to continue building at Wigan.

But it was only after a long meeting with Whelan on Wednesday that he got his way with a request for greater investment in facilities.
    "We want Roberto to be happy at Wigan and we'll be aiming to make sure we do everything to help him," said Whelan, who has revealed a full-size indoor training pitch costing 1.5million was high on Martinez's list of priorities.
    "We've discussed a lot of things and it was a productive afternoon.
    "He's got two years left on his current contract and we will be looking to extend that.
    "We've also agreed to build up the academy and the training facilities."

Whelan feared he would lose his highly-respected manager to Liverpool but admitted he had no such concerns when it came to Aston Villa.
    "He has had some talks with Villa but he's not going to go there," he told Sky Sports.
    "Villa are a fantastic club with great fans, but I never thought they were big enough for him.
    "I've said all along that I never thought he would end up there, and, fortunately for us, that's how it has turned out.
    "If Roberto is to go anywhere, it will be to one of the top clubs in Europe.
    "We're just so pleased that he's staying with us for another season."

Darren O'Dea: Leaving Celtic

Celtic have agreed to terminate the contract of Republic of Ireland defender Darren O'Dea.
    The 25-year-old spent all of last season on loan at Leeds and feared the Hoops would take up the option of extending his stay at Parkhead by a further year.
    That would have resulted in any suitor having to pay a fee for the centre back's services.
    And O'Dea, who is part of the Republic's Euro 2012 squad, paid tribute to Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell for agreeing to his departure.
    "I spoke to Peter and fair play to him, I've been leaving for long enough and it was about time it was official," he said.

"This lets me get on with my career. It has been happening for the last two-and-a-half years anyway.
    "I've had a great time at Celtic and have a lot of friends there so it was important for me that I left properly. He has done that and I've nothing but admiration for the club and wish them all the best."
    O'Dea, who has also had loan spells at Reading and Ipswich, is reportedly being chased by a number of Championship clubs including Burnley, Bolton and Peterborough.

Brendan Rodgers poses at Anfield

New Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has no concerns about following club icon Kenny Dalglish at Anfield but hopes one day his own achievements will put him alongside the likes of the Scot, Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley.
    The 39-year-old conducted himself impressively as he was presented to the media having been officially confirmed as the man owners Fenway Sports Group hope will deliver their vision to restore the Reds' former glories.
    Dalglish's sacking just over a fortnight ago after FSG decided an eighth-placed finish - 17 points adrift of the top four - left his predecessor in a seemingly unenviable position following in the footsteps of 'King Kenny'.
    But Rodgers, as demonstrated in his handling of negotiations with the Americans when he initially turned them down and then told them in interview he would not work with a director of football, is his own man.

"I will never replace Kenny Dalglish, that is the reality. I have so much respect for him," said the
    "This is a guy who was voted the best player in the history of the club, a legend of a manager here and a fantastic man.
    "There is not a race for me. It's a race I am sure I would lose. I can only be Brendan Rodgers and do the very best I can for the football club.
    "What I want to do, is prove my worth, honesty and commitment to Liverpool.
    "History judges you as the manager, that is the reality. I hope my history here will allow me to walk beside many of the great managers."
    Rodgers was initially approached two weeks ago but refused to entertain the idea of being just another number in a long line of potential candidates FSG were sounding out.
    He insisted he was not worried by his rejection of the Reds' advances and his confidence in his own ability bore fruit when they returned a second time with a much more positive message.

It was an approach he admitted he would have been foolish to turn down.
    "I just moved on straight from it," he said of Liverpool's initial approach.
    "I was very clear when the chairman (Huw Jenkins) rang me and said he had an offer from them asking to speak.
    "I said 'Did they say I was the number one target?' and he said 'No, they just want to speak to you'. I said 'Fine. I have no reason to be in a process if I'm not the number one candidate'.
    "I didn't want to disrespect the values of Liverpool and I didn't want to disrespect Swansea, I just wanted to continue my work. But then when Liverpool come calling a second time you need to be a brave man to turn it down.
    "I am brave in what I do and what I play but for me when they came back and said I was the number one target I would have walked here.
    "Huw has known all along of other club's interest in me and he always knew my commitment to Swansea but he knew one day I would go to a big club because it was something which was an ambition.

"When I spoke to him about it he encouraged me to speak to them because he followed Liverpool coming through his life so he understands as much as anyone the size and magnitude of Liverpool.
    "It was a difficult decision because of the relationship and people at Swansea but from a professional and football challenge it was going to be a great move."
    Even then it was not a job Rodgers was going to take at all costs. Plenty of speculation about a new director of football being lined up - with abrasive Dutchman Louis van Gaal hotly-tipped - meant he went into the discussions with a clear idea of what he wanted.
    "I made it clear to them, saying 'I respect you have asked me to do the job but I need clarity on one issue'.
    "I am very much my own man with my own ideas. The clubs which have been successful in my short career are the ones where I have had a direct line to the top.

"When I didn't have that I had issues so it was clear for me if Liverpool wanted me to be manager it would be a huge privilege but I could only do that if I was the manager.
    "What we do then is we get a support team around that - every team has a head of recruitment, head of medicine, head of performance - and then the manager manages that and you trust people to get on with their job."
    Jenkins claimed there was an agreement in place which would prevent Liverpool from signing any of the Welsh club's players for the next 12 months.
    When asked about that at his press conference, Rodgers did not confirm or deny that was indeed the case.
    He said: "The only thing I want to say about Swansea and Wales is my deepest gratitude and thanks for everything they've done."

Brendan Rodgers shows off his new colours

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has revealed an agreement is in place to prevent stop newly-appointed Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers signing players from his former club for 12 months.
    The Northern Irishman was presented as the new Reds manager on Friday morning after the Merseyside club settled on a compensation package with Swansea.

But he will not be able to raid his former club for talent over the next year.
    "We have got some protection on Brendan coming back for our players in the initial period, which I think is the right thing," Jenkins told talkSPORT.
    "He has got a timescale to assess things there and that is going to take him a while so I've got no worries there. We have got a 12-month respite."
    Jenkins admitted his disappointment at losing Rodgers, who guided the Swans to the Premier League and then to an 11th-placed finish in the top flight last term.

"We are obviously very, very disappointed that we lost Brendan but things move on," he told Sky Sports News.
    "I think that naturally he has got massive belief in his ability and he felt that if he was the right candidate he would go forward.
    "Obviously my only loyalty is to my football club and when we had Brendan working with us we wanted him for some years to come but the reality is that everyone has ambition and sometimes that ambition has to be realised."
    Jenkins claimed the pair parted company amicably.
    "We have got a good relationship, we have dealt with it in the right way with Brendan and Liverpool," he added.
    Wigan manager Roberto Martinez was heavily linked with the Liverpool job before Rodgers emerged as the Reds' first choice in the selection process.
    "I obviously can't comment on what the process was. I think it was a public process and they have handled their affairs slightly different than we would but that is their job," Jenkins said.
    "Our focus now is about moving on and making sure our club is right and ready for the season ahead."
    Swansea have reportedly been given permission to talk to Wigan assistant manager Graeme Jones as they look to replace Rodgers
    Jones, 42, previously held the same role at Swansea and Jenkins confirmed he wants someone who understands the club.
    "The way we play, the philosophy in our club is not going to change," he said.

"We have got to bring someone in who is going to complement that.
    "They have got to agree to work within our structure. Brendan did that, everything was set up for him and he continued that, built on it, and obviously we are going to continue on the right path and find the right person who is going to suit us."
    The record transfer of Iceland midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson was set up before Rodgers left the club, but Jenkins confirmed the deal for the Hoffenheim star is still due to go ahead.
    He said: "We have agreed a fee and personal terms but the problem is he has gone away to Europe on holiday and that has delayed the finalising of it.
    "We are hopeful of getting things moving next week, hopefully we can tie that up and get one or two things finished off."

Lambert and Lennon were in opposition last week

Norwich chief executive David McNally has refuted reports that the Canaries have made an approach to Celtic for manager Neil Lennon.
    The Northern Irishman was on Friday morning tipped as a replacement for Paul Lambert, his former Celtic team-mate, who has offered his resignation ahead of his expected move to Aston Villa.
    Cardiff manager Malky Mackay, another former Celt, has also been linked with a return to his former club but McNally told Sky Sports: "It is interesting because I have seen it reported that we have contacted both of their clubs about their managers. We haven't and I would like to put that on record.

"Celtic Football Club and Norwich City get on marvellously well, we had a great day here last week celebrating Adam Drury's testimonial, the two sets of supporters get on brilliantly.
    "I can confirm that no approach has been made for Neil Lennon. If we were interested in talking to them about Neil, he's a great manager, we would go straight to them quietly and privately, we wouldn't announce it through the media and Dermot Desmond (Celtic's majority shareholder) would be the first to know."
    Press Association Sport understands the Parkhead club would not entertain any approach for Lennon, who won his first Clydesdale Bank Premier League title as manager last season.

Billy McKay pictured while at Northampton

Billy McKay has agreed a new two-year deal with Inverness, but defender Thomas Piermayr intends to move to Germany.
    Striker McKay, 23, who has represented Northern Ireland Under-21s, joined Caley last summer after two years with Northampton.
    Manager Terry Butcher told the club's official website: "Billy has agreed to extend his contract for a period of two years.
    "We're delighted he has pledged his future to us. He showed good promise in his first SPL season and we think his best is yet to come."
    But former Austria Under-21 international Piermayr has turned down a new deal.

"Thomas has indicated that he wants to play his football in Germany so we wish him all the best", said Butcher.
    The Highlanders' boss revealed that he has had discussions defenders Kenny Gillet and Ross Tokely and Welsh international midfielder Owain Tudur Jones, who are all out of contract shortly.
    He said: "Gillet, Tudur Jones and Tokely have been in touch and have been granted extra time in which to consider the new contracts we've offered them."
    On the departures of Jonny Hayes, Gregory Tade and Greg Tansey, Butcher admitted Caley simply could not match the cash on offer elsewhere.
    He said: "We made these players the best offers we could in our financial situation.
    "But other teams have been able to give these men a huge financial incentive to leave the Highlands and ply their trade elsewhere.
    "It's extremely disappointing to lose such great professionals and characters from our dressing room, but we extend our best wishes to them.
    "Their progress, however, is a boost to the standing of Inverness.

"Players and agents increasingly see us as a club that can promote and improve players' chances of resurrecting careers which had fallen off track.
    "These players have given a great deal to Caley Thistle but, by their ability and with help from this club, they have earned moves to bigger clubs and bigger contracts.
    "This is what we do at Inverness. Players like Adam Rooney, now at Birmingham City, and David Davis, who has won a new three-year deal at Wolves following his six-year loan spell at Inverness, are illustrations of the positive environment we nurture here.
    "It hurts to say goodbye but there is a welcome to be given to the next replacement.
    "We've targeted several players but details of these potential signings cannot be divulged at this stage because of contractual privacy."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast