Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 02-06-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 02-06-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 02-06-2012

Henrique (back) in action against Barcelona

Barcelona have agreed to cancel the remainder of Brazilian defender Henrique's contract, the Primera Division club have announced.
    Henrique, who will be released from his deal this summer, cost Barca an initial 8million euros when he joined on a five-year contract from Palmeiras in 2008 but has spent the subsequent four years out on loan.

Immediately after joining he moved to Bayer Leverkusen for a year, and then, after spending pre-season with Barca in 2009, he moved to Racing Santander for two years, playing 57 league games. Last July he went out on loan again, this time to former club Palmeiras on a one-year deal.

A statement on Barcelona's website read: "Barcelona announce that the player Henrique Adriano, on loan to Palmeiras until June 30, will on that date rescind his contract with the club which runs until June 30, 2013.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 02-06-2012

Nani: Awaiting an offer from Manchester United

Manchester United winger Nani is keeping his option opens as contract negotiations continue with the club.
    The 25-year-old has spent five years at Old Trafford since joining from Sporting Lisbon in 2007, but is now seemingly pondering his next move.
    In an interview with Portuguese television station RTP, quoted by The Guardian, he said: "I am really happy but I don't know about my future. Now I will study opportunities.

"Football is not only about England or Spain. It is possible to enjoy success in other countries.
    "My agent is waiting on news about United. We have presented a counter-offer and now we are waiting on an offer from the club."

Vertonghen (left): Close to joining Spurs

Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen has revealed he is close to joining Tottenham and believes a deal could be finalised in the next "couple of weeks or maybe days".
    The Belgium international has been the subject of speculation linking him with a move to the Barclays Premier League, with Arsenal and Spurs both reportedly interested.

Vertonghen has previously stated his preference to join Tottenham and the defender says that move now looks close to completion.
    "I am a big fan of the Premier League," he said ahead of Belgium's friendly with England.
    "It is almost the only competition I watch on TV and for me it is the best competition in the world.
    "I would like to play in the Premier League. I am not in contact every day but I think it could be very close now, maybe a couple of weeks or maybe days."

Asked if he knew what club he wanted to join, he said: "I probably know which team I will be going to, yes. I know where I want to go and I think it is clear to everybody."
    When probed as to whether that club is Tottenham, he nodded and said: "Yes."
    Vertonghen seemed taken aback by the amount of interest in his future, especially when news of his impending move broke on televisions in the press conference room.
    The defender, though, continued to answer questions in flawless English and insisted that the fact White Hart Lane will not play host Champions League football next season is not a major issue.

"It is not that big a problem," Vertonghen said. "It would be nice but I chose for the club not just one season.
    "For me it is important the connection with the club. They give me a very good feeling about everything.
    "They invited me over and they also really want to close a deal, which is what gave me a good feeling.
    "They showed me everything about where they want to be in the next few years and that is what I like most.
    Vertonghen is likely to line-up for Belgium at Wembley.

If things had gone differently his future club manager Harry Redknapp could have been boss of the Three Lions - something the defender is relieved is not the case.
    "I met him once and I think he is a good manager," he said. "He was very friendly.
    "[I am happy he is not England manager] as I have only heard good things about him and I am happy he stays at Tottenham."
    However, the player tweeted after the press conference: "Don't believe everything the press writes. Nothing is confirmed. Still player of Ajax."

Paul Lambert: On gardening leave

Norwich chief executive David McNally has revealed the club are in the process of looking for a new manager as Paul Lambert looks set to move to Aston Villa.
    The 42-year-old Lambert had his resignation request rejected by the Norwich board as his representatives were locked in talks with Villa and he has now been placed on gardening leave from Carrow Road.
    McNally was responding to days of speculation over Lambert's situation and confirmed both clubs are now in talks over compensation.
    "We are looking for a new manager, that is likely what we concentrate on in the next few weeks," McNally told Sky Sports News.
    "We were in a situation where we were approached by another club to speak to Paul Lambert, we didn't grant them permission and we were very clear we wanted to keep our manager who has been incredibly successful.

"When it was indicated by our manager that he would like the opportunity to speak to this particular club the dynamics changed, and then it was about talking to them about compensation, agreeing compensation and sorting out a time frame, and we are still in that process."
    McNally praised Lambert's contribution during his time at Carrow Road but is hoping the situation can be resolved as quickly as possible.
    He said: "Paul Lambert has been fantastic for this football club for three years and he will quite rightly take his place in Norwich City history and we will always be very grateful to Paul for his achievements here.
    "Paul did tender his resignation but we haven't accepted it - that is our right and we will attempt to get to a conclusion on this. The lawyers will be involved and we will see if we can get through this as quickly as possible - and we (can) focus on our search for a new manager."
    Cardiff boss Malky Mackay and Celtic chief Neil Lennon have been made early favourites to replace Lambert at Norwich but McNally revealed the club have made no approach for a manager at present and will appoint someone who meets their criteria.

"It is interesting, I've seen it reported today that we have contact both those clubs about their particular managers but we haven't, I'd like to put that on record," he said.
    "We will look at the market and it is about having a manager who is hungry, committed and we will need to check out their knowledge, skill, experience and their attitude really. Those are attributes that are important to us, and Paul Lambert's ticks all of those boxes."
    McNally was more bullish in his response to striker Grant Holt's declaration on Twitter that he still wished to leave Carrow Road over the summer.
    Holt, 31, scored 15 league goals last season but had a transfer request rejected last month and has taken to Twitter this morning to confirm he wants to leave a club he joined back in 2009.
    "Just to stop the rumour mill again. I have expressed to the board and the CEO that I want to leave the football club. Due to disagreements," he wrote.
    "I have loved my 3 years at the club and it sadness (sic) me to right (sic) this but want use (sic) to here (sic) it from me first."

Despite Holt making his position clear, McNally reckons the Canaries skipper will still be at the club when the new season gets under way.
    He said: "We are delighted he has loved it here, we have loved every moment of Grant Holt being here.
    "Seventy goals in three seasons, every level he has played at he has scored goals, 17 goals last year, 15 in the Premier League and a couple of cup goals thrown in.
    "What a fantastic performance, our captain, our talisman. He is a fans' hero, he won the player of the year trophy three years in succession - he is not for sale."
    McNally also claimed the costs of replacing someone like Holt would cost the club a lot of money and also suggested no players have to be sold in the off-season.
    "If we were hypothetically forced into the position to sell somebody with such a record, what is the replacement cost?" he said.
    "It is certainly bigger than the total I've seen quoted in relation to the club that Paul Lambert might be talking to, it would be a huge figure.
    "But I stress for all the Norwich City supporters out there that Grant Holt is not for sale.
    "None of our senior players are for sale, none of our first-team squad players are for sale.
    "We are in a very, very healthy situation - probably the best financial health we have been in for 109 years so we don't need to sell anyone."

Graeme Jones: Permission to speak to Swansea

Wigan assistant manager Graeme Jones has been given permission to talk to Swansea, Latics chairman Dave Whelan has confirmed.
    The Swans are beginning the hunt for a new manager after agreeing a compensation deal with Liverpool to allow Brendan Rodgers and backroom staff members Colin Pascoe, Chris Davies and Glen Driscoll to move to Anfield.
    Rodgers will be officially unveiled as Liverpool manager at a press conference on Friday morning and Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins had made it clear that the club would move quickly to find the Northern Irishman's successor.

And Latics number two Jones, who worked with Roberto Martinez at the Liberty Stadium between 2007 and 2009 before following the Spaniard to Wigan, appears to be in pole position after being granted permission to speak to Swansea.
    Whelan told Sky Sports News: "I had half a dozen phone calls saying Swansea were wanting permission to talk to Graeme and I said I really don't know because our chief executive (Jonathan Jackson) was in a Premier League meeting.
    "But he rang me at 2.30 and said that was the case and we gave them permission immediately.
    "Roberto doesn't believe in holding people back. It's a free country but if he goes we'll miss him immensely.
    "He's ambitious, has played for us and is a football man through and through.

"He's worked with Roberto for a few years but I think he's up for the challenge and is a very good lad.
    "Roberto would like him to stay - they've been a great partnership for quite a while and the first thing Roberto said was he'd miss him immensely.
    "But you can't stop progress and it's unfair to say 'you can't take that job, you're under contract'. It's not fair."
    The likes of Brighton boss Gus Poyet, Blackpool's Ian Holloway and Birmingham's Chris Hughton were all among the favourites for the Swansea job, but Jones emerged as the clear favourite following a flurry of bets that led bookmakers to suspend betting.
    Jones, 42, was previously approached by the Swans before they appointed Rodgers in 2010 in the wake of Paolo Sousa's departure.
    The former striker, who has only previously worked as an assistant manager, was a popular figure during his previous spell in south Wales.
    And he would fit the club's desire to appoint someone willing to continue the attractive passing style that has served Swansea well, having helped Martinez, who also held talks over the Liverpool job, implement that approach.

But should Jones succeed Rodgers he will have a tough act to follow after the 39-year-old guided Swansea to promotion at the first attempt and followed that with an 11th-place Premier League finish.
    Confirming that a compensation deal had been agreed with Liverpool, a Swansea statement said: "We can today confirm that a compensation package with Liverpool has been agreed for manager Brendan Rodgers and three members of his backroom staff.

"Both clubs have been in discussions to sort suitable compensation for Brendan along with assistant manager Colin Pascoe, performance analyst Chris Davies and head of sports science and medicine Glen Driscoll.
    "The Swans have agreed to allow the backroom trio to join Brendan following discussions between himself and chairman Huw Jenkins."

Luigi De Canio: New deal

Luigi De Canio has been rewarded for saving Genoa from relegation with a new one-year contract as club coach.
    The 54-year-old steered Genoa to safety with two wins in their final three matches after taking over on April 23.
    The club's new managing director, Pietro Lo Monaco, confirmed the news of De Canio's contract shortly after being introduced himself by club president Enrico Preziosi at a press conference.
    "There is an agreement, dated for one year," Lo Monaco said.

"Our goal is to be more reliable now, to build a strong team and not limit our ambitions."
    De Canio came to the Genoa helm for the second time following Alberto Malesani's departure one day after a 4-1 defeat to Siena that was stopped for 45 minutes when fans protested and demanded that the players hand over their shirts.