Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-06-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-06-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 03-06-2012

Jones: Talks have broken down

JONES TALKS BREAK DOWN - REPORT

Talks between Swansea and Wigan assistant boss Graeme Jones have broken down, according to reports.
    The Swans were given permission to speak to Jones over the managerial vacancy at the Liberty Stadium following Brendan Rodgers' departure to Liverpool.

Bookmakers on Thursday afternoon suspended betting on Jones making a return to the club where he spent two years between 2007 and 2009 as No 2 to Roberto Martinez, before following the Spaniard to Wigan.

The 42-year-old former Wigan and Doncaster striker was targeted by Swansea in 2010, before Rodgers was eventually appointed.
    Brighton's Gus Poyet, Blackpool's Ian Holloway, Birmingham's Chris Hughton and former Denmark international Michael Laudrup have also been linked with the Swansea position.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-06-2012

Green: Moving on

GREEN ON WAY OUT OF UPTON PARK

West Ham chairman David Gold has confirmed England goalkeeper Rob Green will leave the club this summer.
    Green, 32, will be out of contract at the end of June and has not agreed new terms despite the Hammers' promotion back to the Barclays Premier League.
    Former captain Matthew Upson left Upton Park as a free agent last year and Green is now set to follow suit having been linked with Tottenham, QPR, West Brom and Spanish side Malaga.

Gold wrote on Twitter: "Robert Green is a free agent he has chosen to move on. Matthew Upson did the same thing."
    He added: "Nobody wants Rob to leave but nothing is for ever, he must do what is best for him and we must do what is best for us."
    Green was an unused substitute as England beat Belgium 1-0 at Wembley on Saturday in their final warm-up ahead of Euro 2012.
    He joined the Hammers from Norwich for 2million in 2006 and made 241 appearances.

Manager Sam Allardyce has lined up Bolton's Jussi Jaaskelainen as Green's replacement.
    Press Association Sport understands the 37-year-old, who is also out of contract, will sign next week subject to passing a medical.
    Jaaskelainen will compete with Stephen Henderson, whose loan move from Portsmouth became permanent last month, to be the club's number one next season.

Uploads

Jan Vertonghen: Close to Spurs move

REDKNAPP HOPEFUL ON VERTONGHEN

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp believes the club are closing in on the signing of Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen.
    The Belgiaum defender is on the verge of signing for Spurs after what has been a protracted process with Arsenal also reportedly interested in the player.
    The 25-year-old recently suggested a deal was imminent, saying: "I think it could be very close now, maybe a couple of weeks or maybe days."

Vertonghen is primarily a centre-back but featured at left-back during Belgium's 1-0 friendly defeat to England at Wembley on Saturday.
    And Redknapp has praised the player's versatility as well as revealing that the transfer should be tied up shortly.
    "Jan is a terrific passer and versatile too," Redknapp told The Sun.

"He can play at the heart of defence but also plays every comfortable at left-back.
    "I hope a deal is done but I don't think it's quite finished yet."

Uploads

Rodgers: Could sign Sigurdsson

RODGERS LINKED WITH SIGURDSSON

New Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers could snatch midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson away from his former club Swansea.
    Sigurdsson is yet to sign a contract with the Swans despite agreement on a club-record 6.8million deal to sign him permanently from Hoffenheim following a successful loan spell.
    Rodgers had pushed the Welsh club to sign Sigurdsson, who he also worked with at Reading, but the Northern Irishman's move to Anfield could prompt a rethink by the player.

Rodgers has vowed to let Sigurdsson talk to the new Swansea boss first - after agreeing with chairman Huw Jenkins not to poach any of his former players for 12 months - but said he would make a move for the Iceland international should any talks break down.
    "Gylfi came to Swansea because I was there as manager and his scoring record was fantastic," he told various Sunday newspapers.
    "I pushed the club to make an agreement [to sign Sigurdsson permanently] and they did that in terms of the fee - and agreed the salary. So I have said to Huw: 'I'm not going to do anything untoward. This is a guy you want, but it is down to Gylfi'.

"If he comes on the market I have to be interested. He knows that I rate his qualities and abilities.
    "I said to Huw: 'If I speak to the kid I'll tell him to speak to the new manager, whoever that is'. But if he's not comfortable with that, he's in the market place then - and I have to look at him."

Uploads

Holt: Wanted by West Ham

HAMMERS MAKE HOLT BID - REPORT

West Ham have reportedly made a 4million bid for wantaway Norwich City striker Grant Holt.
    The 31-year-old scored 15 goals for the Canaries last season but recently handed in a transfer request, which was rejected by the Carrow Road club.
    He said on Twitter last week: "Just to stop the rumour mill again. I have expressed to the board and the CEO that I want to leave the football club. Due to disagreements.

"I have loved my three years at the club and it saddens me to write this but I want you to hear it from me first."
    Holt, who had been hoping to earn a place in England's Euro 2012 squad, joined Norwich from Shrewsbury for 400,000 in July 2009.
    He had previously had spells at Rochdale and Nottingham Forest.

Uploads

Bielsa: Extends Athletic stay

BIELSA PENS CONTRACT EXTENSION

Athletic Bilbao coach Marcelo Bielsa has agreed a contract extension which will keep him with the Primera Division club until June 2013.
    The 56-year-old Argentinian won a legion of admirers over the 2011/12 season for guiding the Basque team to the finals of both the Europa League and the Copa del Rey, as well as a 10th-placed finish in La Liga.
    A statement on the club's website read: "Athletic Club and coach Marcelo Bielsa have agreed to extend the contractual relationship that unites both parties until June 30, 2013."

Uploads

Romeu: No plans to leave Chelsea

ROMEU TO FIGHT FOR CHELSEA SPOT

Oriol Romeu has dismissed speculation he could leave Chelsea this summer and intends to fight for a regular first-team place.
    The midfielder made 11 Premier League stars in his first campaign following a 4.35m switch from Barcelona in August 2011.

He fell out of favour following the departure of Andre Villas-Boas, with caretaker boss Roberto Di Matteo handing him only two appearances.
    However, the 20-year-old insists he remains happy in west London and is determined to force his way into the first-team picture next season.
    "I have a contract, and my dream is to play," the Spain U21 international told goal.com.

"I demonstrated to myself that I could play early in the season, and I think I'm able. Hopefully next season I will enjoy more minutes on the pitch.
    "For me, the season at Chelsea has been spectacular, especially the achievement of winning the Champions League. It's something I always dreamed of as a child."

Uploads

Dirk Kuyt: Heading to Turkey

FENERBAHCE SIGN DIRK KUYT

Fenerbahce have announced the signing of Dirk Kuyt from Liverpool.
    The Holland striker has signed a three-year contract with the Turkish giants, the club confirmed on their official Twitter account.
    The 31-year-old, who moved to Anfield from Feyenoord in 2004, found first-team starts hard to come by under Kenny Dalglish last season.