Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 06-06-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 06-06-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 06-06-2012

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Happy at AC Milan

IBRAHIMOVIC REFUTES PSG RUMOURS

AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has quashed speculation linking him with a move to Paris St Germain this summer.
    Reports in France claimed the Ligue 1 side were willing to offer the Serie A giants 40million euros (32million) to acquire the Sweden international.
    "It is not true," Ibrahimovic told Gazzetta dello Sport. "PSG? No. There are so many things being said about my future but those are only rumours.

"I am a Milan player and I am very happy in this club."
    Ibrahimovic, 30, was the top scorer in the Italian top flight last season with 28 goals in 31 games. He is under contract at Milan until June 2015.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 06-06-2012

Kagawa: Not bought to sell shirts in Asia

KAGAWA NOT ABOUT SHIRT SALES - UNITED

Manchester United insist the purchase of Japan international Shinji Kagawa is not motivated by commercial reasons.
    Kagawa joined United on Tuesday in a 12million deal - potentially rising to 17million - from German champions Borussia Dortmund.
    The purchase will be welcomed in the Far East and it has not gone unnoticed that this will strengthen United hold on a lucrative market.

Red Devils commercial director Richard Arnold recently boasted that the club has 659million fans worldwide, many of whom are based in Asia.

But Arnold claims all of United's players are iconic figures.
    "We don't sign players to sell shirts," he said. "We are reliant on 25 players and they are all massive stars.
    "We have 25 George Clooneys.
    "When you look at the success we've seen in that part of the world, it isn't down to any one player or person."

Uploads

Sigurdsson: Keen on Liverpool

GYLFI TO SWITCH SWANS FOR LIVERPOOL?

Iceland midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson admits he would be interested in a move to Liverpool to be reunited with former manager Brendan Rodgers after claiming his record-breaking move to Swansea is off.
    Last week the Swans agreed a 6.8million transfer - almost doubling their record fee - to sign the player from Hoffenheim permanently after his successful four-month loan spell subject to a medical.
    However, Rodgers' departure to Anfield cast doubt on the deal and Sigurdsson now does not think he will complete it - despite being keen to remain in the Premier League.

"It's just unclear at this moment where I will play," he told mbl.is in his homeland.
    "I'd like to play on with Swansea since I was really happy there but after Brendan Rodgers left the club for Liverpool, that changed the situation.
    "I expect not to stay at Swansea because of the uncertainty going on there as it is not clear who is boss.
    "I have said that my desire to continue playing in the Premier League and Liverpool is completely considered.
    "Liverpool is a big club that has a glorious history.

"English Premier League is the platform that I want to be and hopefully is that I continue to play in that division."
    Sigurdsson has been in touch with Rodgers - a manager he rates highly - since the Northern Irishman was installed as Kenny Dalglish's successor, which raises the prospect of him ending up at Anfield.
    "I got in touch with Brendan when he was appointed Liverpool manager," he added.
    "I wish him congratulations and thanked him for a great time at Swansea."

Uploads

Van Persie: Future uncertain

GUNNERS IN NO RUSH OVER VAN PERSIE

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis insists the Gunners will not be rushed into making an announcement on captain Robin van Persie's future.
    Van Persie scored 37 times for the Gunners last season but he could leave the Emirates Stadium this summer if he fails to agree an extension to his current contract, which expires at the end of next season.
    Talks over Van Persie's contract ended without agreement last month and Manchester City have vowed to bid for the striker if he becomes available.
    Van Persie, who is on international duty with Holland at Euro 2012, has described another one of his suitors, Juventus, as a "great team", further fuelling suggestions he could quit London.

But despite the uncertainty over their skipper's future, Gazidis says the Gunners will not be pressured into making a declaration on the matter soon.
    "Robin sat down with us at the end of the season and we had a good discussion," Gazidis told Arsenal's website.
    "What we agreed at that meeting was that we would keep all the discussions we had over the summer to ourselves and make announcements when it is the right time.
    "We have to respect the fact we have agreed to keep that among ourselves. Robin is clearly focused on the Euros at the moment and we wish him well, and at the right time we will make the right announcements."

City signed Samir Nasri from Arsenal under similar circumstances last season when the midfielder had 12 months left on his contract.
    The Frenchman went on to win the Barclays Premier League with his new club, and City could offer Van Persie a bumper contract way above what he currently earns with Arsenal.
    Van Persie's value to Arsenal is clear. The Dutchman's 30 Barclays Premier League goals almost single-handedly rescued them from major failure last season as they fought back from a woeful start to finish third.
    There were calls for Arsene Wenger's head when Arsenal lost three of their opening five games - one of which was an 8-2 drubbing at Manchester United - but Gazidis is glad the club kept faith with their manager of 16 years.
    He said: "This football club was placed under terrific pressure at times and I think, for a different club, there would have been the possibility that we would begin to fall apart, panic and make decisions that would have been bad. That is not what happened."

Regardless of Arsenal's turnaround, Gazidis still thinks the club underachieved last season and is determined to see them challenging for trophies again next term.
    "None of this is cause for popping champagne corks at Arsenal," the 47-year-old said. "While it is a creditable performance it is not achieving our ambition.
    "We want to win the Premier League. We want to compete to win the Champions League. That is what we are planning for during the course of the summer and everything we do is geared towards that."
    Last summer Wenger dallied on replacements for Nasri, Cesc Fabregas and Gael Clichy, with Andre Santos, Per Mertesacker and Mikel Arteta all arriving on deadline day.
    The new arrivals were seen as inferior to the men they replaced, but Arteta went on to have an outstanding season.
    So far this summer Arsenal have already signed Germany striker Lukas Podolski and are keen on recruiting France midfielder Yann M'Vila, although he has stated he will wait until after Euro 2012 before deciding his future.
    Gazidis hinted that Wenger will try to move as quickly as possible to make new additions to his squad.

"We always try and conduct our activity as early as we can," he added. "The key for us is not the volume of signings, but that they add something to the squad.
    "That is something Arsene thinks extremely carefully about and for all of the pressure he is placed under, he tends to make good decisions."

Uploads

Kranjcar: Set to join Dynamo Kiev

KRANJCAR CLOSE TO SPURS EXIT

Croatia midfielder Niko Kranjcar appears set to leave Tottenham for Dynamo Kiev.
    Kranjcar has struggled to break in to the Spurs first team over the last two seasons, partly due to the excellent form of Gareth Bale.
    Manager Harry Redknapp has consistently claimed he is not looking to sell the player despite using him sparingly, but the 27-year-old - who is currently on international duty at Euro 2012 - claims he is close to moving to the Ukrainian side.
    "The clubs have agreed," Kranjcar told Croatian website Jutarnji List.
    "Now all that remains are some small details as I agree personal terms.

"I personally am not involved with that. I have left that to the people that represent me as I am concentrating on the Euros."
    Redknapp signed Kranjcar from Portsmouth in 2009 and he made a big impact in his first campaign, scoring five goals and providing many assists from the left flank in 32 appearances.
    But the emergence of Bale meant the Croatian dropped down the pecking order the following season and only made nine Barclays Premier League starts in 2011/12, although his campaign was curtailed by a knee injury.
    Last month the versatile player admitted he could be tempted by a big-money move to Russia or Ukraine.
    "In Russia and Ukraine, playing football you can earn huge money," Kranjcar told Croatian website Index. "Whether we admit it or not, money is important."

Uploads

Chris Hughton: Set to talk with Norwich

CHRIS HUGHTON TO TALK TO CANARIES

Birmingham manager Chris Hughton has been granted permission to speak to Norwich.
    The Canaries are in the market for a new boss after Paul Lambert completed a switch to Aston Villa on Saturday.
    Hughton has been heavily linked to the managerial vacancy at Blues' neighbours West Brom, but the 53-year-old is now set for talks at Carrow Road.
    A statement released by Birmingham on Wednesday morning read: "Birmingham City FC can confirm that Norwich City FC have made an approach for Chris Hughton with regards to their vacant managerial position.
    "Hughton expressed a wish to speak to the Canaries and permission was reluctantly granted."
    Acting chairman Peter Pannu said: "Chris is a great manager and deserves the opportunity to speak to Norwich, which is why we have granted him permission to speak to them."

Norwich see Hughton as the ideal candidate to take the reins from Lambert and continue their remarkable rise up the football ladder.
    Lambert guided the Norfolk outfit to back-to-back promotions to take them from npower League One to the Barclays Premier League, where he clinched a superb 12th-placed finish last term.
    But that impressive progress alerted a host of admirers, including Villa, and despite Norwich rejecting Lambert's resignation last Thursday, an agreement was reached on Saturday for the Scot to make the switch.
    Speculation linked both Malky Mackay and Neil Lennon to the vacancy at Carrow Road, but the Canaries have confirmed their move for Hughton.
    A club statement read: "Norwich City can confirm that Birmingham City have granted the club permission to speak to Chris Hughton about the vacant managerial position at Carrow Road.
    "The club will be making no further comment at this stage."

Hughton, on a one-year rolling contract, has spent little under 12 months at St Andrew's having replaced Alex McLeish following his controversial move to fierce rivals Villa.
    That period has been a hugely successful one for the former Tottenham coach and Newcastle boss, who guided the Magpies to the npower Championship title in 2010 before harshly losing his job in December of that year with the north-east outfit 11th in the top flight.
    Hughton has become a popular figure at Birmingham and is hugely admired by supporters, who look set for a difficult summer as the club's uncertain financial future continues to provide concern.
    Battling City's well-documented cash-flow problems and having put together a new-look side following their relegation from the Premier League, Hughton's Birmingham impressed in both the Europa League and FA Cup this season before eventually finishing fourth in the Championship.
    But he was unable to guide Blues back to the top flight, losing out 3-2 on aggregate to Blackpool in the play-off semi-finals.

Uploads

Lambert: Unveiled as Aston Villa boss

LAMBERT - I CAN COPE WITH EXPECTATION

New Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is confident he will deal with the level of expectation that comes with the job.
    Lambert was unveiled as Alex McLeish's replacement on Wednesday afternoon, and he is hoping to put smiles on the supporters' faces as soon as possible.
    "There is a lot of expectancy at the club and it is not something I'm going to shy away from," he said. "It something I will thrive on, hopefully.
    "We will try to get results as quickly and as best as we can. We have to play football the right way.
    "We have to give them (the fans) something. We will need them - I think they will come in their thousands to watch us and it is up to us to give them something back."

Lambert expressed his pride at being handed the Villa reins and cannot wait to get started in the role.
    He said: "I have to get into it and see what is going to happen. I'm honoured to be manager of the football club. I will give it everything I've got to be successful.
    "I can't wait to get going, truth be told, so I'm excited by it. It is a huge, huge club and it is something I will need to embrace more than anybody."
    The 42-year-old takes over at Villa Park following a successful three-year spell at Norwich, having guided the Canaries from the bottom of League One to a 12th-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League, and he acknowledged he left Carrow Road with a heavy heart.

"I had three unbelievable years and as I've said before I loved my time there - I had a great rapport there and had a special rapport with the football club, the fans and the players," he said.
    "I will always be proud of what we have done as a group - it is a part of my life that will stay with me and I will never forget it. I have nothing but praise for Norwich. The fanbase was always pivotal to what happened.
    "I had my reasons (for leaving), which will probably remain private and I don't want to keep going back to that."
    Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said the club will support Lambert from the off and strive to have a more successful season than last term's 16th place.
    "We know we have got to work with Paul and freshen up the squad," he said. "We had a poor season and we have got to get to work.
    "It is about trying to get that squad ready to go for pre-season and make sure we are up challenging at the top half of the table."

Uploads

Ivanovic: Has denied 'agent' comments

IVANOVIC DENIES 'AGENT' CLAIMS

Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic has denied comments from someone purporting to be his agent regarding his future at Stamford Bridge.
    Reports on Tuesday suggested that the Serbia defender had no intention of quitting west London following comments to the media by Vlado Borozan.

However, Ivanovic insists that Borozan does not represent him in any capacity.
    The 28-year-old refused to rule out a move away from Chelsea, but insists any discussions regarding his future will take place in private and after he returns from holiday.

"I've seen in the press that an agent called Vlada Borozan has been saying things on my behalf, I would just like to put on record that he is not my agent and does not have the right to tell the press anything on my behalf," Ivanovic told Sky Sports in a statement.
    "With regards to speculation about my future, we will see what happens. But whatever happens, it will be between myself, Chelsea and my actual representatives.

"As it stands today, I am a proud Chelsea player.
    "I have four years remaining on my contract, have just won the Champions League, just captained my country on international duty, and am now ready for a holiday with my family to recharge my batteries and get ready for next season."

Uploads

Nathaniel Clyne: Linked with a move to Newcastle

NO TRUTH IN CLYNE RUMOURS - PARISH

Crystal Palace have denied claims that Newcastle have contacted them about a deal for Nathaniel Clyne.
    Recent reports have suggested that the Toon have stepped up their interest in signing the England Under21 international.
    However, Eagles co-chairman Steve Parish has moved to calm the speculation.

"I read them and they are not true," Parish told the South London Press. "It's completely made up - I hate using those words but they have just got bad information.
    "I had a chat to people there a while ago and they do quite like him - but that doesn't mean they are going to buy him."

Uploads

Jan Vertonghen: Heading for Tottenham

VERTONGHEN SPURS MOVE CLOSE - AGENT

Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen could complete his move to Tottenham this week, according to the player's agent.
    Spurs and Ajax have been locked in negotiations over the transfer of the 25-year-old, who impressed during Belgium's 1-0 defeat to England at Wembley last Saturday.
    Ajax's valuation of the centre-back, reported to be 15million euros, had proved to be a sticking point, though, as the Londoners are not willing to pay that much for a player whose contract expires next summer.
    Vertonghen last week said Spurs' failure to qualify for the Champions League would not put him off a move to White Hart Lane and Mustapha Nakhli, who represents the towering Belgian, is hopeful a deal will be concluded soon.

"Jan is waiting. The clubs are close," Nakhli told Voetbal International. "I hope it will be this week. I think it will. We are talking to Tottenham."
    Nakhli appeared to criticise Ajax for holding out for a bigger fee than Spurs are offering.
    He added: "Fifteen million? Jan has a contract until mid-2013. So what do you think?"
    The addition of Vertonghen, who can also play at left-back or in midfield, would be a big boost for manager Harry Redknapp, who had to consistently change his back four last term due to a number of injuries.
    Michael Dawson only played 13 games, William Gallas struggled with a niggling calf injury and Ledley King may be forced into retirement after his chronic knee problems surfaced again towards the end of the season.

Redknapp is determined to land a striker and perhaps another top-class player to freshen up his squad, but the main focus this summer will be keeping Gareth Bale and Luka Modric at White Hart Lane.
    One player who has been sidelined due to the emergence of the sought-after pair is midfielder Niko Kranjcar.
    The Croatian made just nine Barclays Premier League starts last season and appears to be heading to Ukrainian side Dynamo Kiev.
    "The clubs have agreed," Kranjcar told Croatian website Jutarnji List.
    "Now all that remains are some small details as I agree personal terms.
    "I personally am not involved with that, I have left that to the people that represent me as I am concentrating on the Euros."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast