Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 09-06-2012

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 09-06-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 09-06-2012

Friday's Transfer Clockwatch

1615: And that's all folks. With Euro 2012 about to kick-off we're closing the TC for business until Monday. Have a good weekend and enjoy the action!
    1545: I predict in 15 years time Steve Bruce will have an autobiography out called To Hull And Back. To read the full story on his appointment at the Tigers click here.
    1525: Come on Rangers fans, things aren't that bad, renew your season tickets (says Charles Green).
    1512: Breaking news: Steve Bruce has indeed been appointed Hull manager. More to follow...
    1507: Folks, save your tears but I am soon to depart. Please welcome the wary Ben Linfoot who has a rather unenviable night ahead tonight. Treat him tenderly. E-mails to
    1453: Chelsea could get help from Hammersmith and Fulham Council to upgrade Stamford Bridge after their latest attempt to find a site for a new stadium failed.
    1449: One man moving through Hoops is Cha Du-ri, who has left Celtic to join German outfit Fortuna Dusseldorf, the Scottish champions have confirmed.
    1438: Two installments of Rangers news today, you lucky little so and so's. Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson doubts whether Scottish Premier League clubs would at present vote a Rangers 'newco' into the league.
    1431: Chris Scott offers: "Some euro predictions from an aussie perspective: Poland 0-1 Greece (host teams never win the opening game of tournaments), Russia 0-0 Czechs, Holland 2-0 Denmark, Germany 3-1 Portugal, Spain 3-0 Italy ( Italy are a rabble at the minute), R. of Ireland 1-1 Croatia,
    and on Monday England 2-1 France. Golden Boot: Torres Winner: Holland. And Chelsea to win back to back Champions Leagues. ( Go the Blues)."
    1427: Stoke manager Tony Pulis is keeping tabs on Michael Owen now the striker is a free agent but admits he is only one of a number of players under consideration this summer.
    1359: Mickey offers some stunning visionary foresight before another strong Borat impression, writing: "My top scorer in the Euro's 2012 is Stewart Downing,I wonder what odd's I will get for him?.After all he is admitting he is ashamed he didn't score for Liverpool last season or have an assist,so with him being the main culprit for Kenny's sacking,he must come good sometime ! Not ! lol."
    1357: Norwich City defender Russell Martin has signed a new three-year contract to keep him at Carrow Road until 2015.
    1335: Ben Blatch-Hanlon asks: ""and just completely made up news to complete Paper Talk" - is there any other kind when it comes to football rumours in the papers?

Talking of predictions though, I think France could do well, and as a Newcastle fan it'll be interesting to see how Ben Arfa and Cabaye do, especially in the opener against England! I've drawn Russia in a sweeps though so hoping for them to go one further than last time when they impressed and surprised everyone with their great football."
    I think that's very disrespectful to journalists who spend hours making up stories willy nilly, Ben. Including myself who spent a while coming up with lines to stretch out Paper Talk this morning.
    1324: Attacking minded Andrew Huddlestone writes: "Here are the correct scores for the opening set of games: Poland 0-0 Greece, Russia 0-0 Czech Republic, Holland 1-0 Denmark, Germany 0-0 Portugal, Spain 0-0 Italy, Republic of Ireland 0-0 Croatia."
    1323: I regret my earlier moaning as now I'm swimming in PL news. The latest is that Newcastle chief scout Graham Carr believes exciting times lie ahead at the club and thinks much of that is thanks to owner Mike Ashley.
    1318: Mousa Dembele has no intention of leaving Fulham this summer as he wants to continue playing for manager Martin Jol.
    1300: Hasan Mooza time. He predicts: "Poland 2-1 Greece, Russia 2-0 Czech Republic, Holland 3-1 Denmark, Germany 3-1 Portugal, Spain 2-1 Italy, Republic of Ireland 1-1 Croatia."
    I see not one 0-0 yet oddly, and continuing my shameless thread of shameful plugging, click here for all the best betting tips for the weekend.
    1256: Colin Ross writes: "Not sure why people are linking Modric with United. Too old, too expensive and Spurs don't want to let him go plus we just got Kagawa. We need a left back and we need some height in the team. Height and power so I'd love to get one of the two Newcastle strikers to replace Berbie. I think Baines is on his way so this will be one of the biggest forays into the transfer market for Fergie."
    Too old? At 26? In a team including Giggs, Scholes and Ferdinand? For a five-year deal at say 30million, that's value for money, and seeing as United don't mind forking out for over-priced midfielders (Carrick, Anderson, Veron etc) he'd be a cracking signing. Could even win you the title next year!
    1245: Portsmouth are a step closer to coming out of administration after former owner Balram Chainrai's offer to take over at Fratton Park again was accepted.
    1208: Maxwell Marfo predicts: "Poland 3-1 Greece Russia 1-2 Czech Rep Holland 3-2 Denmark Germany 2-1 Portugal Spain 4-0 Italy Ireland 1-1 Croatia."
    1149: John Egan is sharing the pain as he writes: "It's a slow day here as well, so here are my predictions Poland 2 - 1 Greece , Russia 1-0 Czech Republic, Netherlands 3-2 Denmark, Germany 1-2 Portugal, Spain1-0 Italy, Republic of Ireland 0-1 Croatia.
    This must be the first time I'm not really excited about, I hope the football changes my mind."
    1133: People are getting on this like Emile Heskey on lost causes. Jay Dowman writes: "We are running something similar at work so at a great copy/paste effort -
    Poland 2-0 Greece
    Russia 2-1 Czech Rep
    Holland 3-0 Denmark
    Germany 2-2 Portugal
    Spain 1-1 Italy
    Ireland 1-1 Croatia"
    1127: Some Premier League news! The lull is over as Hatem Ben Arfa says he is happy to stay at Newcastle - unless a "bigger" club comes knocking.
    1123: Ken has an alternative, although given that the answer is B it's a void question to begin with. He writes: "Much better idea for you Jack. Lets find out which is the most popular with the TC'ers from the following......
    (A) The Euros, (B)The Eurovision Song Contest, or (C )International It's a Knockout (with Stuart Hall).
    My vote goes to option C."
    1115: I knew this would be a bit of fun, especially as Robert Adams writes: "Sounds like a bit of fun...especially as the cricket is still delayed...
    Poland 2-0 Greece
    Russia 2-1 Czech Rep
    Holland 3-1 Denmark
    Germany 2-0 Portugal
    Spain 1-1 Italy
    Ireland 1-1 Croatia"
    1106: I know how to liven things up while keeping our clothes on. The TC is back on Monday so send your result previews for the next three days worth of Euro 2012 matches (six in all) and the winner will be the one who gets the nearest scores. E-mails to
    1104: And here are those latest developments.
    1059: Those lovely chaps and chapettes at Sky Sports claim that Hull are to announce Steve Bruce as their new manager in a press conference this afternoon. Stay here for any developments.
    1043: Bolton chief executive Allan Duckworth is stepping down from his role after 14 years at the club.
    Starting to long for the days of refreshing Eden Hazard's Twitter page every three minutes.
    1038: Very much slim pickings in the Premier League this morning, and this is genuinely the second biggest story from England's top flight so far. Southampton will face Ajax and Udinese as the club prepares for its return to the Barclays Premier League.
    1023: Gennaro Gattuso's agent has revealed that the midfielder has already spoken to Ally McCoist and is desperate to seal a return to Rangers.
    0959: Back to Friday's Italian Transfer Clockwatch and Lazio have quashed speculation that they are close to signing Trabzonspor striker Burak Yilmaz.
    0949: Euro fever hasn't got Ken all hot under the collar as he writes: "The Institute of Statistical Research is obviously a Institute with not enough work to do, (or they have very long tea breaks), as they have put all the relevant data into their computer, and staged the Euros. Apparently England will reach the semi finals, where they will fall to Spain. The smug expression then gets wiped off the faces of the Spanish team, as they fall to Germany in the final.
    Well, that's the Euros out of the way, hopefully the Institute will now turn their attention to the Olympics so we can get that out of the way as quickly as possible as well !!!!!!"
    0946: Full Steve Clarke details.
    0945: I started this story 15 minutes and gosh darn it it hasn't beaten me like so many Olympics stories do. David Beckham will be the most notable inclusion when Great Britain's 35-man provisional Olympic squad is submitted later on Friday.
    0938: Breaking news: Steve Clarke has been named West Brom head coach (manager I presume) on a two-year deal.
    0933: Andrew Banks writes: "Brad, the Modric thing is tricky because he's gonna be 27 at the start of the season & presumably we'd be buying him for 4/5 years so no resale value at all. I'd rather United don't spend over 30M on him cos I don't know if it'd be worth out while. I'm convinced he would make our midfield tick and allow Rooney, Young, Nani, Valencia, Kagawa etc more freedom but he would need to settle in very quickly to get worth out of him. If we can get him for 25M I'd love it but doubt that. We need a LB first! Ah Euro 2012 is here, finally :)
    Hope England and ROI do well but I got France in my sweepstake so that's who I'll be supporting!"
    Cracking day in Italy as the transfers continue to roll in. The latest deal sees Udinese completing the signing of Brazilian midfielder Willians from Flamengo.
    0921: Brad's back, asking: "Does the TC think that Luka Modric might go on strike if Levy refuses to grant him a transfer to United?
    He threatened to last year, and many many spurs fans blame him for their sudden loss of form last year.
    Be interesting to see how this pans out."
    0900: The Czech perspective is covered by Jay Dowman, who writes: "Euro fever in swing in Prague now, tonight it all begins, big screens in the centre, just a shame the Czechs really don't have a very good team anymore, gone are the Nedveds, Bergers, Smicers and co, still at least they're in it, let the party begin and the beer flow!!
    Fingers crossed it doesn't get ruined by racism, horrid reports from the Dutch and a ball hasn'tbeen kicked yet."
    Shameless plug time. I did this Czech Republic preview: Enjoy, if possible.

Inter Milan have completed the signing of Argentina striker Rodrigo Palacio from Genoa, the club have confirmed.
    0854: Fiorentina are set to unveil Vincenzo Montella as their new coach later today, according to media reports in Florence.
    0847: The very excited Hasan Mooza writes: "I can't wait for the Euro's to start! However I think England can only finish second in their group and will get knocked out in the quarter-finals. France and Russia are the dark horses in the tournament, and I think Denmark and Ireland could cause and upset in their group. Semi finalists will be Holland vs Spain (who will beat England in the quarter final), and Germany vs France. Final Germany vs Holland, winner Germany. Golden Boot, Benzema, Llorente, Huntelaar or Gomez."
    0833: Brad's got that Euro fever and presumably the Smith household are in good financial shape after Mole-gate as he writes: "I've had a little go on Lewandowski for top scorer. I think Poland are the dark horses."
    0832: Soap time. Craig Whyte has backed Charles Green's plan to have a CVA approved for Rangers.
    0824: For those interested, there's the minor matter of Euro 2012 getting underway tonight as Russia face the Czech Republic in their Euro 2012 Group A opener on Friday night, with coach Dick Advocaat believing they are dark horses to win the tournament.
    0754: Another managerial vacancy is set to be filled today as West Brom expect to appoint Steve Clarke as their new manager later today, Press Association Sport understands.
    0738: There's no Daily Star or Express news as those are just out of reach as Gabrielle once said. Here's Paper Talk though.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 09-06-2012

Lewandowski: Linked with Manchester United

Striker Robert Lewandowski dodged questions linking him with Manchester United after scoring as Poland drew 1-1 with Greece in a dramatic opener to the European Championships in Warsaw.
    Lewandowski scored Poland's goal in the first half, only to see Greek substitute Dimitris Salpigidis equalise after the break in a match which saw both teams finish the game with 10 men.

The Borussia Dortmund front man, however, refused to confirm Poland coach Franciszek Smuda's suggestion earlier this week that he would be playing at Old Trafford next season
    Lewandowski, 23, said: "I am so happy to score this goal in the opening match. But I'm not going to concentrate on these issues (joining United). Euro 2012 is the priority. I'm totally focused on the national team."

Instead, he rued a string of missed Poland chances which could cost them in Group A, especially missing a first-half header in front of a gaping goal.
    He said: "I did everything to take the ball. I was just millimetres away but this is football and I hope next time I score.
    "I regret that we did not take more of our chances in the first half. It could have been two or three zero but we still have a positive attitude."

Gattuso's agent has held talks with Rangers

Charles Green has indicated he is ready to sanction Gennaro Gattuso's return to Rangers once the club is in a position to sign new players.
    The former Sheffield United chief executive is leading the consortium in place to buy the stricken club, who have been in the hands of administrators Duff and Phelps since February.
    He hopes creditors will vote in favour of a Company Voluntary Arrangement at a meeting next Thursday and that Rangers can then look to the future again.
    Green says he has held budgets talks with manager Ally McCoist and former Italy and AC Milan star Gattuso - who played for the Light Blues between 1997 and 1998 - could be an option.

He told Rangers' official website: "The SPL can't register any players because we are in administration and the SFA and the club have been in a very public dispute for some time.
    "However, the manager has identified a number of people from a playing point of view he would be interested in.
    "Gattuso himself came out publicly and said he would love to join Rangers and, after the illustrious career he has had in Milan, that's great.
    "His agent came over and we met with him to explain the difficulties surrounding the club. To me, it's a massive positive he wants to come.
    "It's an endorsement that the world's top players would still like to come and play for this club.
    "The manager actually played with Gattuso years ago when he was here at the club in the late 1990s.
    "From my point of view as CEO, we've sat with Ally and arranged a budget with him and should we be allowed to sign players, he will be able to do so."

Meanwhile, Green has told Rangers fans he will not "abuse" their money and insists he has no plans to use cash from season ticket sales to fund his takeover.
    Ibrox director Dave King has urged fans to reject the CVA, while calling on supporters not to renew their season tickets until Green reveals the details of his plans.
    Craig Whyte completed his own takeover of Sir David Murray's majority shareholding last May with money from the sale of future season ticket income to investment firm Ticketus.
    Green said: "On the basis the receiver is already holding cash and we haven't put the season tickets up for sale yet, I struggle to see how I can use season ticket money to buy the club.
    "The season ticket renewal letters are actually going out today (Friday) and I have already deposited money with the administrator to buy the club.

"We have provided the money to buy the club and we have documented the fact we are going to raise another 20-30million on top of that.
    "The season ticket money is crucial. The very suggestion we would be using it to buy the club is ridiculously untrue.
    "The more season tickets any club sells, the more that can be invested back into the club and into players.
    "If we are looking and speaking to the real, true Rangers fans, I'd say to them if there was ever a time to support the club it is now.
    "They will know for the first time in many, many years that their money will not be abused the way it was before."

Robin van Persie: Has been linked with a move

Robin van Persie's father has claimed it would be "impossible" for the Arsenal striker to join their Premier League rivals Manchester City.
    The Holland international has been linked with a move away from the Emirates Stadium as he has just 12 months left to run on his current contract.
    Gunners boss Arsene Wenger does not want to see his skipper and star striker depart, but the club risk Van Persie to leaving for nothing when his deal expires next summer if he does not agree a new one in the meantime.

Manchester City have been strongly linked with a move for the former Feyenoord forward, while Real Madrid and Barcelona have been mooted as other possible destinations.
    Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis confirmed discussions had taken place at the end of the season and insisted the north London club would not be rushed into making any announcement on Van Persie's future.
    Now the striker's father, Bob, has ruled out the possibility of a switch to the Etihad and also moved to quell suggestions his son could move to Spain.
    "He'd never go to Manchester City as it's impossible he would play for another Premier League side that wasn't Arsenal," Bob van Persie is quoted as saying by El Mundo Deportivo.

"It would make no sense to go to Barcelona when they've already got Leo Messi.
    "Real Madrid would be a good option, but they are not so much a team as a collection of star names, so he wouldn't really fit in there either."

Tim Krul: Happy at Newcastle

Holland goalkeeper Tim Krul has brushed off speculation about his future, insisting he is happy at Newcastle.
    The 24-year-old, part of the Dutch squad at Euro 2012, has been linked with Chelsea and Tottenham following his impressive performances last season.
    But he says he has no regrets about signing a five-year deal with the Magpies, and is looking forward to their Europa League campaign.

"It's all just talk," Krul said. "I've signed my five-year contract and I'm committed to Newcastle United.
    "The club has not played in Europe for six years and I want to be a part of that.
    "This club deserves European football. We've got everything: the stadium, the fans and an owner in Mike Ashley who's backing us."

Charles Green: Not planning for long stay

Charles Green has admitted he plans to spend less than a year at Rangers.
    Green is heading a consortium in place to buy the Ibrox club and will find out whether his offer to creditors is sufficient on Thursday.
    Rangers director Dave King has accused Green of lacking the funding to take the club forward beyond then and predicted he would not last a season in charge.
    Green denied the first accusation but admits he sees turning round Rangers as a relatively short-term task.
    The former Sheffield United chief executive told the Daily Record: "Dave King said he didn't think I'd still be here in a year's time and do you know what? He's right.

"It isn't my intention to be here longer than that.
    "If nothing much is added to what I can see on the table at the moment I believe I can get over all the hurdles in a year.
    "I'd be very disappointed if I am not out of the club quickly."
    Green revealed the personal benefits he anticipates from turning around the club.
    "I'll be getting 2million in shares, not cash," he said.
    Green's group have pledged 8.5million for creditors, the vast majority of which is due to be repaid with interest from the club by 2020.
    Rangers currently owe Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs more than 21million and that figure could more than quadruple depending on the outcome of a tax tribunal.
    Green has urged fans to exert political pressure to ensure the tax authority accepts the reduced payments on offer.

"Fans should be urging their politicians to apply some pressure so that the CVA is accepted," he said.
    Green also insisted the funding from his investors, only two of whom have been named, was in place and he would not be able to use season-ticket money to fund his deal.
    "The first-phase funding, 10million, is all there," he said.
    "Yes, I will raise 20million more and I say that well aware of just how difficult it is to raise money these days."

Kelvin Etuhu: Joined Barnsley from Portsmouth

Barnsley have made their first signing of the summer, bringing in Kelvin Etuhu on a free transfer from Portsmouth.
    Etuhu figured regularly for Pompey last term and was fancied to stay at Fratton Park despite their relegation to League One.
    However, the 24-year-old has penned a one-year deal with the Tykes, much to the delight of manager Keith Hill.
    "We're glad we've managed to secure the signing of Kelvin," Hill told the club's official website.

"We're really pleased and he represents good value for money, I'm just glad he's chosen us."
    The former Manchester City man is a versatile player and Hill is excited about the impact he can have at Oakwell.
    "It's exciting because he can play in a number of positions - anywhere across the front-line," he added.
    "He's got pace and ability and will excite the adoring public."

Jason Shackell: Heavily linked with Burnley

Derby have rejected another bid for highly-rated defender Jason Shackell.
    Burnley have been heavily linked with Shackell, who had an impressive first season for the Rams in the Championship after joining from Barnsley last summer, captaining the team in the absence of injured Shaun Barker.

Derby chief executive Tom Glick told the Derby Telegraph: "We've knocked back another bid for Jason Shackell.

"We felt it was nowhere near where it would need to be for us to give it serious consideration.
    "We're not surprised about this as he had a great season for us and is a key player for us, in a key position.
    "If a club was to come back with an increased valuation, we would take a look at it on its merit.
    "Then, if we felt it did meet out valuation of the player, we would only sell if we had a suitable replacement lined up."

Kevin MacDonald: Moving on

Aston Villa have confirmed first-team coach Kevin MacDonald is to leave the club.
    MacDonald has brought to an end a 17-year association with the club following the appointment of Paul Lambert as manager.
    The 51-year-old, who had a brief stint in caretaker charge at the start of the 2010/11 season following the departure of Martin O'Neill, worked alongside Alex McLeish last season, while he also coached the reserve team.

MacDonald told the club's official website: "I've had an incredible 17 years at Aston Villa, one of the biggest clubs in the country, and wish to thank all the staff and players I have worked with during my time at the club.
    "I wish Aston Villa every success in the future."
    Chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "As a club, we are immensely grateful for the contribution Kevin has made in more than 17 years at Villa.
    "He has been an integral part of the success we have enjoyed at academy and reserve team level and, in assuming his caretaker responsibilities at the beginning of the 2010-11 season, he cemented his position as a man who will always command respect at this club.
    "The whole of Aston Villa Football Club will wish Kevin well."

Johan Djourou: Agent claims defender keen on move

Johan Djourou is keen to leave Arsenal for a club in Italy, according to his agent.
    The Switzerland international started just 14 Premier League games in the 2011/12 season and recently admitted that he would consider any interesting offers that came his way.
    The defender signed a new contract with the Gunners in February that would see him stay at the Emirates until 2015, but he appears to be behind Thomas Vermaelen, Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker in the Arsenal pecking order.
    Djourou's agent, Flavio Ferraria, says that Napoli could be one possible destination for his client, although he also added that a move to Spain's La Liga was an option.

"Can Djourou join Napoli? It's certainly possible, especially as we will be in Italy next week for a series of appointments," Ferraria told Radio Crc.
    "At the moment Napoli are not on the list of appointments, but everything is possible. If he leaves the Premier League, then he will play in Italy or Spain.
    "I saw my client the other day and he was enthusiastic about both Napoli and Italy in general. So far we have received an offer worth 10m, but it is up for negotiation.
    "He wants to play for one of the top five Italian clubs."