Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 14-06-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 14-06-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 14-06-2012

Gareth Bale: Not in talks with Barcelona

Gareth Bale's agent admits it is a 'problem' that Tottenham have not made the Champions League but dismissed claims that he in talks with Barcelona.
    Indeed Jonathan Barnett admitted that Spurs' asking price of 40million is 'too expensive' for the Catalan giants and he feels they will look concentrate their efforts on Valencia's Jordi Alba.
    Barca are looking to bolster their left sided options and Bale has long been on their radar - but they look to have pushed ahead with their move for Alba instead who would cost less than half what Spurs want for their Welsh star.
    Speaking to Catalan-based Sport newspaper, Barnett said that a likely asking price of 40million was too much for Barca.
    "I think it's too expensive for the club," he admitted.

"To my knowledge, the club [Barcelona] has not made any offer for him.
    "If interested, they would have to put money on the table and then start talking. But it seems that the club is working on the signing of Jordi Alba, a cheaper option."
    Bale signed a new long-term contract at Tottenham last year, but the player himself has admitted he would not be against a move to the continent.

And Barnett acknowledges that the lack of Champions League football on offer at White Hart Lane could be an issue.
    "Yes, it is clear that this is a problem," said Barnett.
    "The big European clubs already know how much it would take to do the operation and therefore if you are interested you know what kind of offer has to put on the table."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 14-06-2012

Redknapp: Tottenham exit confirmed

Harry Redknapp is to leave his post as Tottenham manager, the club announced on Thursday morning.
    Redknapp and agent Paul Stretford spent Wednesday in negotiations with chairman Daniel Levy and it became clear the former Portsmouth boss was close to ending his three-and-a-half-year tenure at White Hart Lane.
    The 65-year-old had 12 months left on his contract and is understood to have been unhappy with Levy's failure to offer him a new three-year deal.
    Levy told the Spurs website: "This is not a decision the board and I have taken lightly.
    "Harry arrived at the club at a time when his experience and approach was exactly what was needed.
    "This decision in no way detracts from the excellent work Harry has done during his time with the club and I should like to thank him for his achievements and contribution.

"Harry will always be welcome at the Lane."
    Redknapp added: "I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Spurs and am proud of my achievements.
    "I have had a fantastic four years with the club, at times the football has been breathtaking.
    "I am sad to be leaving but wish to thank the players, staff and fans for their terrific support during my time there."
    Everton boss David Moyes was the odds-on favourite to replace Redknapp, whose failure to secure Champions League football looks to have led to his impending departure.
    Only on Tuesday Redknapp was moved to dismiss speculation he was on his way out as "an outrage".
    Negotiations over a new deal for Redknapp have stalled since the start of the year when Redknapp, who guided Spurs to fourth place in the Barclays Premier League last season, was linked with the then vacant England manager's job.
    In the past week Redknapp has made it known he would be uncomfortable heading into the new season without a longer deal while also defending his relationship with Levy.

It has been claimed, however, that Levy was only willing to offer Redknapp a rolling 12-month contract whereas the former Portsmouth manager is thought to have wanted a longer deal that would have made the London club his last job in management.
    Redknapp did achieve Levy's goal of reaching the top four last term, but Spurs missed out on playing in the Champions League after Chelsea's penalty shootout win over Bayern Munich last month's final.
    An exit may seem harsh on Redknapp but his critics point to the fact his team would have qualified directly for Europe's premier club competition had they not thrown away a 10-point lead over Arsenal towards the end of the season after a poor run of form.
    On Tuesday Redknapp vehemently denied he was on his way out, though, telling ESPN: "No, I haven't resigned, and I have no idea why it is being suggested that I have resigned.
    "This is an outrage; an absolute liberty for people to be putting around this kind of rumour on the internet.
    "It is not true, there is not a chance I will resign. Why should I?"
    The news was met with disbelief by former Spurs defender John Scales.
    "I am staggered that a manager who took the club to fourth, fifth and fourth again has gone," he told The Sun.
    "Even though we lost out to Chelsea at the end, it has been another fantastic season.
    "We'd done ever so well and I'm bewildered by the decision."
    Redknapp took charge of Tottenham in October 2008 following the sacking of Juande Ramos, with the club having taken just two points from their first eight games.

Redknapp led them to an eighth-place finish and an appearance in the League Cup final, which they lost to Manchester United.
    In his first full season in charge, he guided Spurs to fourth position taking them into the Champions League for the first time.
    Spurs played some exhilarating football on their way to the quarter-finals, before being knocked out by Real Madrid.
    Since then Redknapp has twice failed to secure Champions League football at White Hart Lane, albeit with a touch of misfortune this season as Chelsea snatched the last available place away from them with their win over Bayern.
    That capped a dramatic season for Redknapp, who underwent a heart procedure in November, was cleared of tax evasion in February and missed out on the England job in May.

Harry Redknapp Factfile:
    1947: Born Poplar, March 2.
    1964: March - Signs professional forms for West Ham following apprenticeship at Upton Park.
    1965-71: Makes 149 League appearances for the Hammers, including three as sub, scoring five goals from his wing position during six-season career.
    1972-75: Signs for Bournemouth in August 1972. Makes 101 league appearances, including five as sub, scoring five goals.
    1976: September - Signs for Brentford, but makes just one appearance.
    1982: September - Returns to Bournemouth as coach.
    1983: Takes over from Don Megson as manager of the Cherries.
    1984: Club languish second from bottom in the old Division Three but beat holders Manchester United in the third round of the FA Cup.
    1987: Guides Bournemouth to Division Three title.
    1992: Leaves Bournemouth to return to West Ham as assistant manager to Billy Bonds.
    1994: Named as the Hammers' eighth manager in the club's history after Bonds resigns. Signs five-year contract.
    2001: Hammers stave off threat of relegation with three weeks of the season remaining but, with the club 14th in the table, Redknapp decides to quit.
    June 21 - Appointed director of football at Portsmouth.
    2002: Becomes manager at Fratton Park when Graham Rix is sacked.
    2003: April - Leads Portsmouth to promotion to the Premier League after a 1-0 home win over Burnley. The result ends a 15-year absence from the top flight.
    May 15 - Pompey finish 13th in Premier League.
    November 24 - Resigns as Portsmouth manager.
    December 8 - Confirmed as Southampton manager.
    2005: May 15 - Southampton lose 2-1 at home to Manchester United and are relegated from the Premier League on the final day of the season.
    December 1 - Portsmouth confirm they want to talk to Redknapp about possible return to Fratton Park.
    December 3 - Redknapp walks out on Saints and claims he made "a monumental mistake" in leaving Portsmouth to join Southampton.
    December 7 - Portsmouth confirm Redknapp as their new manager.
    2006: April 29 - A 2-1 win at Wigan secures their Premier League future.
    May 25 - Redknapp signs a new three-year deal with the club.
    September 19 - Accused by BBC Panorama programme of attempting to tap up Blackburn player Andy Todd. Redknapp completely refutes the allegation.
    2007: May 13 - Portsmouth draw 0-0 with Arsenal to finish seventh in the Premier League, missing out on European football by one point.
    June: Lord Stevens publishes final report in transfer irregularities. Its only criticism of Redknapp was his ownership of a racehorse thoughtto have been given to him by agent Willie McKay. Redknapp told the inquiry it was possible he did own the horse but insisted he had not made any money out of it because the horse never won a race.
    October 29 - Signs a new contract with Portsmouth until 2011.
    November 28 - One of five men arrested by City of London Police investigating corruption in football. The men were held on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting - and were released without charge later the same day.
    2008: January 11 - Meets with Newcastle chairman Chris Mort and is offered the job of Magpies manager, but he rejected the offer a day later.
    May 17 - Portsmouth beat Cardiff 1-0 at Wembley to lift the FA Cup for the first time in 69 years.
    May 23 - Redknapp wins his High Court claim that police who raided his home as part of a corruption inquiry were acting unlawfully.
    October 26 - Redknapp reveals he has agreed to become Tottenham manager, two days after the club approached Portsmouth.
    2009: May - Having taken over with Spurs bottom of Premier League and with just two points from eight games, guides club to eighth-place finish.
    2010: April 11 - Redknapp's Spurs beaten 2-0 in FA Cup semi-final by Portsmouth at Wembley.
    May 5 - Secures top-four Premier League finish and place in Champions League qualifying round with 1-0 win at Manchester City.
    July 13 - Signs contract extension to keep him at White Hart Lane until 2013.
    November 2 - Spurs stun Inter Milan 3-1 at White Hart Lane in the outstanding performance of a Champions League campaign that takes them all the way to the quarter-finals.
    2011 - May - Spurs finish fifth in the Premier League, missing out on another season of Champions League football.
    November 3 - Redknapp misses Tottenham's Europa League trip to Rubin Kazan after a having a heart procedure, and goes on to miss further matches while he recovers.
    2012 - January 22 - As Spurs are being talked of as genuine title challenges, Redknapp sees his side lose 3-2 at Manchester City, who get a last-minute penalty from Mario Balotelli.
    February 8 - Redknapp is acquitted, along with former Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric, on charges of cheating the public revenue.
    On the same day, Fabio Capello's abrupt departure from England sees Redknapp installed as the favourite to replace him, but the FA say no immediate decision will be made. During weeks of speculation, Tottenham's form dips.
    May 1 - England name Roy Hodgson as Capello's successor.
    May 13 - Having conceded a 10-point advantage over Arsenal, Tottenham finish the season fourth.
    May 19 - Chelsea's victory in the Champions League final costs Tottenham a place in the tournament next season.
    June 12 - Redknapp angrily rejects speculation he is set to leave Tottenham.
    June 14 - Spurs confirm he is to leave the club.

McCoist: Reportedly ready to quit Ibrox

Ally McCoist's future is in doubt amid speculation he is poised to resign his Rangers position.
    Unconfirmed reports from Glasgow suggest McCoist is ready to quit Ibrox after uncovering a plot to replace him as boss.
    The 49-year-old's hero status with supporters has only been strengthened by his handling of the crisis which will see the club liquidated later this week.
    But the latest reports claim Charles Green, who fronts the consortium poised to reform Rangers as a 'newco', is looking elsewhere for a manager.

McCoist insisted earlier this month he would prepare his squad for the new season despite the fact Rangers do not even know which division they will play in.
    He said: "I am in the dark about so many issues but I can't and won't let it affect my desire for Rangers to be successful. I do know there will be a Rangers and we will be ready."

Thiago Silva: No agreement with PSG

AC Milan are prepared to resist all offers from Paris St Germain for coveted defender Thiago Silva, according to club vice-president Adriano Galliani.
    Galliani returned to Milan on Wednesday night after spending the last two days in Paris locked in talks with PSG executives regarding the possible sale of the Brazil international to the Ligue 1 side.
    "(AC Milan owner Silvio) Berlusconi intends to resist all offers from PSG for Thiago Silva," Galliani said to Sky Italia.
    The 27-year-old Silva is also a reported target of Manchester City, Chelsea and Barcelona.

The French giants recently increased their bid to 50million euros to acquire Silva, who is under contract with the Serie A outfit until June 2016.
    PSG sporting director Leonardo, who coached AC Milan in the 2009-10 campaign, said to Sky Italia: "There is no agreement.
    "Many details have not been defined but this is normal considering the type of deal we are talking about.
    "We will wait and see but I don't think the negotiations will take very long."
    Silva joined AC Milan in December 2008 from Fluminense in a deal worth under 10million euros.

Roberto Di Matteo: Now Chelsea's full-time coach

Chelsea have appointed Roberto Di Matteo as their full-time coach on a two-year contract.
    The Blues have moved to confirm the Italian as their permanent boss just three weeks after he led them to their first Champions League title while in interim charge.
    Di Matteo replaced Andre Villas-Boas for the final 11 weeks of the season and inspired a stunning rejuvenation as they won the FA Cup before their famous penalty shoot-out win over Bayern Munich in the Champions League final.
    Di Matteo, who turned 42 last month, was ecstatic to take on the role permanently.
    "I'm obviously delighted to have been appointed as manager and first-team coach," Di Matteo said.
    "We all achieved incredible success last season that made history for this great club.

"Our aim is to continue building on that and I'm already planning and looking forward to the squad's return for pre-season."
    Despite Di Matteo's success there was speculation Chelsea would look elsewhere for a full-time boss, with Pep Guardiola apparently atop their wish-list following his departure from Barcelona.
    Owner Roman Abramovich was said to be keen to bring in Guardiola despite the Spaniard showing little interest in revoking his decision to take a year's sabbatical from the game.
    Rumours Guardiola could be swayed grew stronger as the weeks passed since Chelsea's Munich triumph, but in confirming Di Matteo's appointment chief executive Ron Gourlay labelled the former Blues midfielder the "right man to lead Chelsea onto further success".
    Gourlay also revealed Di Matteo had been involved in the decision to make recent signings with the club having already made the big-money capture of Eden Hazard following the end of last season.

"Roberto's quality was clear for all to see when he galvanised the squad last season and helped the club make history, and the owner and board are very pleased he will be continuing his good work," he said.
    "We all believed he was a young coach with much to offer when we first asked him to take charge of team affairs in March and the manner in which he worked with us, the players and all the staff, and the success that followed, made him the clear choice when it came to selecting the person to take us forward in the seasons to come.
    "We will be working closely with Roberto in the weeks ahead, some exciting signings have already been made and Roberto has had input into those.
    "Although he has set the bar very high in the short time he has been in charge, we know that Roberto is the right man to lead Chelsea onto further success.

"We are already looking forward to the 2012-13 season which kicks off when Roberto, his staff and players return for pre-season."
    Former Chelsea assistant manager Ray Wilkins, who left the club shortly before Di Matteo filled the same role, believes the decision to hire the 42-year-old full-time will bring much-needed stability to the Stamford Bridge club.
    "I'm delighted for him. It'll be nice to see that interim manager title now taken away," he said.
    "I think Mr Abramovich was hanging on to see if Pep Guardiola wanted to come out from his year-long retirement. I think it's no secret he sees him as the man to take Chelsea forward.
    "I don't think he has to change too much but I think there will be a few changes - with new players coming in whether it's the summer or in the December/January transfer window.
    "Roberto in his wisdom selected older lads towards the latter stages of the season and it was fruitful. You need the senior players - your club is only as good as the senior players in it.
    "They were playing with smiles on their faces and they got away with things (against Barcelona and Bayern Munich) through sheer persistence and endeavour.

"Roberto put a smile back in the dressing room. The confidence was pretty evident towards the end of the season.
    "It's very important they bring a bit of stability back into the club and I think it'll go well for him.
    "He's a former Chelsea player so the fans can relate to him as player and manager. It's not often you get a manager come in and within six months win the FA Cup and the Champions League.
    "But now it's extremely difficult to surpass what you've already done. It's going to be a very tough season for him."

Luka Modric: Linked with Tottenham exit

Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric has admitted there are clubs who are interested in signing him this summer.
    The 26-year-old, currently at Euro 2012 with Croatia, reacted to stories linking him with a move to Premier League rivals Manchester United.
    However, the Croatian, who last year was the subject of several bids from Chelsea, would not give any indication of which clubs were interested.
    "There are all sorts of rumours still circulating," Modric was quoted as saying on Croatian website

"I'm not saying that the clubs are not interested, but I'm still under contract with Tottenham."
    The midfielder has been a huge hit since arriving from Dinamo Zagreb in 2008 and maintains he has no problems with his current life in London.
    "I have no problems," he added. "I do not need to wear a mask when I go out into the street or shopping."

Tito Vilanova: New Barcelona coach

Tito Vilanova has been formally confirmed as Pep Guardiola's successor as Barcelona coach, agreeing a two-year contract to take charge at the Nou Camp until June 2014.
    Vilanova is due to sign his contract on Friday and then be presented to the media.
    "FC Barcelona have come to an agreement with Francesc 'Tito' Vilanova," read a statement on Barcelona's website.
    "This season's first team assistant manager will be the head coach of FC Barcelona for two seasons, through June 30, 2014. Vilanova will sign his new contract this Friday on June 15 at 1200."
    Guardiola announced in late April that he would step down from his position as coach to take a sabbatical, with the club immediately nominating Vilanova to take over.
    Vilanova, who will be the 16th Catalan manager of the club, spent five years as the assistant coach, helping Guardiola during the most successful period in the club's history.

Together they won two Champions League crowns, three La Liga trophies, one Copa del Rey, three Supercopas, two UEFA Super Cups and two FIFA Club World Cups.
    However, this season ended in disappointment as they surrendered the league crown to rivals Real Madrid, and were knocked out of the Champions League in the semi-finals by eventual champions Chelsea.
    Also on Wednesday, Barcelona agreed a one-year contract extension with sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta.
    The 50-year-old Zubizarreta, whose previous deal was due to expire next summer, is now tied to the Primera Division giants until June 30, 2014.

There is also a clause in the agreement that would see the contract extended for an additional two years.
    Former Barca and Spain goalkeeper Zubizarreta became sporting director at the Nou Camp in July 2010 after replacing fellow Basque Txiki Begiristain.

Roberto Martinez: Linked with Tottenham job

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has confirmed that Tottenham have not made an approach for Roberto Martinez.
    Tottenham have parted ways with boss Harry Redknapp after four years in the job.
    Latics boss Martinez was immediately among those to be linked with the vacant manager's position at White Hart Lane, along with the likes of Everton's David Moyes and former Chelsea chief Andre Villas-Boas.

However, Whelan has been quick to dismiss any talk of an approach by the London club for the Spaniard and insists he would not encourage any contact.
    "I have not been approached, and Roberto has not been approached," Whelan told ESPN.
    "He is so honest that he would tell me the minute that he has.

"I think it's pie in the sky that Spurs want Roberto. It seems that way as they have made no approach.
    "That's not to say that they won't, but I hope that Spurs go for David Moyes and leave us alone."

Michael Laudrup: Favourite for Swansea job

Swansea could announce a replacement for departed manager Brendan Rodgers before the weekend, with former Denmark international Michael Laudrup emerging as the favourite in the last few days.
    Chairman Huw Jenkins has been conducting negotiations this week in a bid to find the right man to replace Rodgers, who joined Liverpool earlier this month.
    Press Association Sport understands Swansea hope to finalise a deal which will see the successful candidate appointed within the next 24 hours.
    If it is to be Laudrup, his compatriot and former Swansea manager Jan Molby believes the former Brondby, Getafe, Spartak Moscow and Real Mallorca boss will be an ideal fit in maintaining the style of football developed by Roberto Martinez and then continued by Rodgers.
    "I think he'll do well. I know Michael was very impressed with the way things are done (in the Premier League), the way in which he is in control of footballing matters, selling of players, buying of players," Molby said.

"He was strongly influenced by Johan Cruyff when he was at Barcelona in the late 1980s, early 90s.
    "That's how he wants to play his football, that's how Swansea played last year under Brendan Rodgers, so if it happens I think it's a marriage made in heaven.
    "They've put a squad together capable of playing exactly like they want to play.
    "They're brave and it's worked well for them, they've proved they can do it in the Premier League.
    "That's very important for Michael, he won't have to start from scratch with a group of players that maybe aren't comfortable having the ball, being in possession.
    "This group of Swansea players are. He will maybe add one or two players he might know from Europe but of course there won't be great changes, because they don't need to.
    "I think Michael is a bit like Brendan Rodgers, likes a settled squad, likes to work with the players, feel that he can improve the players.
    "So I don't think he's one of those managers who is going to be knocking on the chairman's door every other day saying they need more players."

Laudrup won five Spanish league titles with Barcelona and Real Madrid in the early 1990s and was one of the players of his generation, but has yet to replicate that success as a manager.
    Molby believes the 47-year-old has yet to achieve his full potential but thinks an opportunity at the Liberty Stadium could be the opening he has been looking for.
    "If you look at his CV, he did very well with Brondby with a young group of players, got them playing the right way," Molby told BBC Sport Wales.
    "Then you look at his next three jobs: Getafe, I thought he did well but fell out with the owner, had a great run in the Europa League, almost knocked out the mighty Bayern Munich.

"Moscow, I think he just landed in a country where it was impossible with language difficulties, they just didn't allow him to do what he wants to.
    "And from the moment he set foot in Mallorca they were just beset with financial problems that he never quite got over.
    "This is the opportunity now, he has to make a mark as a manager."

Aleksander Kolarov: Wants more regular football

Manchester City defender Aleksandar Kolarov wants more regular football and admits he has been speaking to his agent about his situation at the Etihad Stadium.
    The Serbia international is behind Gael Clichy in the pecking order at the new Barclays Premier League champions.
    He made only 12 league appearances this season, and while he insists he is happy at City he wants greater involvement next season.
    "I am in constant contact with my agent, so we will soon see what happens," he told the Corriere dello Sport.

"I am very happy here in Manchester, but my goal is to play with greater regularity. I said it to (Roberto) Mancini.
    "Money has nothing to do with it and I have no problem with wages.
    "It's simply that I would like to be able to feel more of a regular."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast