Thread: Transfer Update at 15-06-2012

Uploads

Arrow Transfer Update at 15-06-2012

Transfer Update at 15-06-2012

Michael Laudrup: Set to be named Swansea boss

MOLBY: LAUDRUP PERFECT FOR SWANSEA

Jan Molby believes his former club Swansea and Michael Laudrup are a "match made in heaven".
    The Dane has emerged as the front runner to become Brendan Rodgers' replacement at the Liberty Stadium and an announcement could be made later today.
    Molby believes the 47-year-old's playing career - with spells at Barcelona and Real Madrid - has heavily influenced his management style, and his footballing philosophy dovetails nicely with that started by Roberto Martinez and continued by Rodgers before he joined Liverpool.
    "He was strongly influenced by Johan Cruyff when he was at Barcelona in the late 1980s, early 90s," Molby told BBC Sport Wales.
    "That's how he wants to play his football, that's how Swansea played last year under Brendan Rodgers, so if it happens I think it's a marriage made in heaven.

"They've put a squad together capable of playing exactly like they want to play.
    "They're brave and it's worked well for them, they've proved they can do it in the Premier League.
    "That's very important for Michael, he won't have to start from scratch with a group of players that maybe aren't comfortable having the ball, being in possession.
    "This group of Swansea players are. He will maybe add one or two players he might know from Europe but of course there won't be great changes, because they don't need to.

"I think Michael is a bit like Brendan Rodgers, likes a settled squad, likes to work with the players, feel that he can improve the players.
    "So I don't think he's one of those managers who is going to be knocking on the chairman's door every other day saying they need more players."
    Laudrup won five Spanish league titles in the early 1990s and was one of the players of his generation, but has yet to replicate that success as a manager with spells at Brondby, Getafe, Spartak Moscow and Mallorca.
    Molby believes his fellow Dane has yet to achieve his full potential but thinks an opportunity at the Liberty Stadium could be the opening he has been looking for.
    "If you look at his CV, he did very well with Brondby with a young group of players, got them playing the right way," the former Liverpool midfielder added.

"Then you look at his next three jobs: Getafe, I thought he did well but fell out with the owner, had a great run in the Europa League, almost knocked out the mighty Bayern Munich.
    "Moscow, I think he just landed in a country where it was impossible with language difficulties, they just didn't allow him to do what he wants to.

"And from the moment he set foot in Mallorca they were just beset with financial problems that he never quite got over.
    "This is the opportunity now, he has to make a mark as a manager."

Uploads

Re: Transfer Update at 15-06-2012

Ibrahimovic and Silva: Both staying, says Berlusconi

MILAN REJECT PSG OFFER FOR THIAGO SILVA

AC Milan have turned down an offer of nearly 46million euros from Paris St Germain for coveted defender Thiago Silva, club owner Silvio Berlusconi has revealed.
    Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has been locked in talks this week with PSG executives regarding the possible sale of the Brazil international to the Ligue 1 side.
    However, Berlusconi confirmed that Milan have rebuffed an "extraordinary" offer from the French club and insisted Silva will remain at the San Siro next season.
    "We have not changed our mind," Berlusconi said to SportItalia. "We had no intention of selling the player but we had received an extraordinary offer from PSG.
    "We have always been clear and PSG should not feel let down.
    "We told them from the start that we would take a decision once we had looked at the offer and seen what is out there in the market in terms of finding a possible replacement.
    "They made us a very interesting offer, close to 46million euros.
    "We considered the possibility (to sell) and we looked at the central defenders that would replace Thiago Silva but we haven't found an adequate player.
    "The old heart of Silvio Berlusconi has allowed us to reject this offer."

Silva joined AC Milan from Fluminense in December 2008 in a deal worth under 10million euros.
    He is under contract with the Rossoneri until June 2016.
    Silva's agent Paolo Tonietto said on Thursday that if the 27-year-old was to remain with the Italian club then he would expect Milan to offer him a new contract.
    The South American reportedly gets four million euros per season, five million euros less than the club's highest-paid player Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
    Milan are ready to placate him.
    "Thiago Silva is a great man and we can find an easy solution," Berlusconi said. "We hope to have the best defence next season."
    Berlusconi also brushed aside reports that Ibrahimovic will move away from the San Siro this summer.
    Ibrahimovic was linked with a move to PSG and Manchester City this summer.
    "Regarding Ibra (Ibrahimovic), he will also remain because he is the best in his position," Berlusconi said.

Uploads

David Moyes: Linked with the Tottenham job

SPURS IN NO HURRY OVER SEARCH

Tottenham are unlikely to rush into a replacement for Harry Redknapp, who feels his successor will be working with a squad capable of challenging for the Barclays Premier League title.
    Spurs confirmed the 65-year-old's departure in the early hours of Thursday morning, with Everton's David Moyes and Wigan boss Roberto Martinez leading candidates to replace him, along with former Chelsea head coach Andre Villas-Boas and Rafael Benitez.
    Redknapp, who has no intentions of retiring, felt the move was inevitable even if he had secured Champions League football, but maintained he left the club in a far better shape than when he took charge in October 2008.
    "I leave behind some fantastic players. The only disappointment I have is that I think it was a team which could have gone on and eventually won the Premier league in the next year or two," Redknapp said.

"I just wish I could have been able to see that through and be part of that because they have some fantastic players there."
    Martinez, who held talks with Liverpool over the summer, sidestepped the issue during a pundit stint for ESPN at Euro 2012, diplomatically stressing he was honoured to be linked to such a vacancy, and was testament to how well his Wigan side had performed.
    Moyes has just returned from holiday and is also set to head out to the European Championships, so any face-to-face talks at White Hart Lane would have to wait.
    Wigan chairman Dave Whelan insists there has been no approach for Martinez from Spurs, but would not block any potential meeting, as with sanctioning contact for Liverpool.
    "If Tottenham come to me and ask to speak to him, I have to say the answer is yes. It always is," said Whelan, reported on BBC Sport.
    "You cannot stop managers moving.
    "Every club that people regard as a big club, when these jobs come up people say 'oh Roberto must be in for that'. And Roberto is actually quite happy at Wigan.

"I have not heard one thing from Tottenham Hotspur or from Roberto, so as far as I am concerned there is nothing going on at present.
    "I just wait and see. Roberto is very happy, he is doing a brilliant job for me."
    Whomever eventually replaces Redknapp, who not so long ago was the stand-out candidate for the England job, will be left in no doubt of what is expected by the White Hart Lane board.
    Redknapp felt Thursday's outcome was always on the cards regardless of how the campaign ended, with Spurs losing out on Champions League football again despite finishing fourth in the Premier League, because of Chelsea's Champions League final triumph over Bayern Munich last month.

The former West Ham boss maintains he has no plans to retire and could now be set for a move overseas, with a long-standing offer of a coaching role in Dubai said to be on the table.
    "I feel great. I don't feel any different. I love football. That is what keeps me going really. I am not one for sitting at home," he said.

Uploads

Charles Green: Offers role to Walter Smith

GREEN OFFERS SMITH ROLE AT RANGERS

Charles Green has offered Walter Smith a leading role in The Rangers Football Club after a dramatic last-minute bid from the former Ibrox manager threatened to undermine the viability of his new regime.
    Green completed his 5.5million purchase of Rangers' assets hours after the 140-year-old club was officially consigned to liquidation.
    The rejection of a Company Voluntary Arrangement at a creditors' meeting was a formality given Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs had already confirmed their opposition.
    But events before and after proved significantly less predictable.
    Green's fragile relationship with Ally McCoist was exposed amid reports the manager was set to quit before Smith urged Green to step aside.
    Green soon completed his deal but remained under pressure on Thursday night with the Rangers Supporters Trust calling on fans to hold off buying season tickets and one of Smith's partners, businessman Jim McColl, urging him to sell immediately.
    Green called an impromptu media conference at Ibrox to appeal for unity and deny reports he was planning to replace McCoist.

But he appeared in no mood to make a small immediate profit with one of his financial partners, Imran Ahmad, insisting it would take a "multiple" of their outlay to force a quick sale.
    Green said: "If Walter Smith wants to be chairman of the football club board, I'll appoint him at nine o'clock tomorrow morning.
    "The issues that I read in newspapers today about Ally, it's all rubbish.
    "The reality is Walter and Ally are big pals. I'm nothing to Ally, don't expect to be.

"If there is a chance that Walter is going to put a bid together, Ally would support Walter and that's what I would expect.
    "But the reality is there is no benefit to Rangers now to having these groups.
    "If Walter, Jim McColl, Douglas Park, Uncle Tom Cobley want to be an investor in this club, this man (Ahmad) will take cheques off them and put it in Rangers' bank account.
    "They can come on the board and be party to what we're doing.
    "What we're not going to do is sit around and wait because if we hadn't come along, this club would have closed.
    "The administrator couldn't run it forever and no-one put money on the table like we did."
    However, Green admitted he had only spoken to McCoist six times and that they had only spoken for seconds when passing in the corridor this morning.

Green, who has applied to join the Scottish Football Association and Scottish Premier League, said: "One of the first things we have to do tomorrow is supply to the SFA and SPL a list and background of all people who are going to take this club forward.
    "If we say we have got a chairman and and a chief financial officer and independent directors, and a bit of a nutcase chief exec (referring to himself), but on balance it's not a bad group and definitely better than the last group, but actually we don't have a manager, that's not the right message to send out.
    "So yes, we want Ally on board, I want Ally sat here."

Green said "no-one had approached him with a bid to buy the club" but he later revealed further interest.
    He said: "It's not just Walter, we've had four other emails from high net-worth individuals who are saying 'Okay, what does it take to go?'."
    Ahmad said they had spent 10million with operating costs and advisory fees included.
    "These are professional investors and I would expect they would want to see a substantial return," said Ahmad, who has been appointed director of the copmpany board, which will be chaired by Ayrshire-born pension fund manager Malcolm Murray.
    "So it would have to be a multiple of what we paid.
    "We bought the club on May 11, we paid our money and we are now going to run the club and move on.
    "If Walter Smith really cares about this club and cares about the fans, then the door is open to him to lead the football club board.
    "If these guys really care about the club, why would they use a tactic to try to put off fans from coming to what's a great institution?

"My view is that they should be embracing us and encouraging the fans."
    Smith had earlier revealed his plan to ensure everything "magical about Rangers Football Club is protected and nurtured back to good health and provide a platform for Rangers for generations to come".
    He added: "The supporters should be under no illusion that it will be extremely hard but with their support we can overcome financial hardship that lies ahead by lending their support to what we feel is the correct way forward - for Rangers people who know the club inside and out to control its destiny."
    The last-minute appeal failed but entrepreneur McColl later issued a public plea to Green to sell.
    "Mr Green does not have the backing of the Rangers support and the longer he delays, the harder the situation will become," McColl said.
    And one of the investors named by Green, Glasgow businessman Ian Hart, categorically denied being part of Green's consortium and backed Smith.
    The others Green named were "Chris Morgan, a UK-based businessman representing family trusts; Glenmuir, the renowned Scottish clothing company; Alessandro Celano of Blue Pitch Holdings and Zeus Capital".

They hold the key to the prospect of a very quick sale but Green is in strong need of goodwill.
    He needs fans' money and SPL clubs, already under pressure from their own fans to reject a newco application, would find it hard to justify backing a club that has no support from within. Players are also free to leave.
    The former Sheffield United chief executive previously stated he did not expect to be at Ibrox in a year's time but might find himself tempted to walk away even earlier given the myriad of uncertainties.

Uploads

Leandro Damiao: Could be staying at Internacional

LEANDRO DAMIAO HAPPY AT INTERNACIONAL

Brazilian star Leandro Damiao has reiterated that he turned down a move to Tottenham and that he is happy to remain at Internacional.
    The 22-year-old has long been linked with a move to White Hart Lane, whilst there is plenty of interest from other Premier League clubs and throughout Europe.
    Damiao's agent has stated that he thinks now is the right time for the striker to move on, but the player himself sees more than happy to stay in Brazil until after the World Cup finals in 2014.

"I've got Tottenham's proposal, but Inter thought I'd better stay," he told UOL.
    "I will try to reach the World Cup playing for Inter. But have to wait for the window to pass and close."
    Spurs had a bid rejected for Damiao in January, but were reported to have made a new offer of 14million earlier this summer.
    Juventus and Paris Saint Germain are also strongly linked, with Brazilian sources claiming Internacional will sell if they receive an offer close to million.

Uploads

Gylfi Sigurdsson: Impressed at Swansea last season

RODGERS WON'T HIJACK GYLFI DEAL

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is keeping a close eye on Gylfi Sigurdsson but says he will honour the agreement former club Swansea have with the midfielder.
    Hoffenheim man Sigurdsson impressed while on loan at the Liberty Stadium in the second half of last season under former Swans boss Rodgers.
    The Welsh side agreed a club-record fee of 6.8million for the 22-year-old Iceland international last month and confirmed he had accepted personal terms.
    However, Rodgers' move to Anfield has thrown the potential deal into doubt, with Sigurdsson tipped to follow him to Merseyside.
    The youngster revealed earlier this month he is now unlikely to sign at Swansea following the manager's departure.
    But Rodgers, while still keen on Sigurdsson, insists his former club must be given the chance to persuade the midfielder to stay in South Wales.
    He told Liverpool's official website: "First and foremost, Gylfi is a Hoffenheim player.

"I took him on loan for the second half of last season and he did very, very well. He scored seven goals and made a real, positive contribution.
    "I wanted to sign him for Swansea but, like I've said to him and his representatives, that has to be his first port of call.
    "If he comes into the market for whatever reason - and I'm sure there'll be a number of clubs interested in Gylfi - then of course I would like to be in a position to put our case here at Liverpool to sign him.
    "But I've always said, I think he's a player Swansea have had an agreement with and they have to have every chance to try and sign him. That's only right.
    "If anything changes from that, we'll look at it from there."
    Rodgers says he has several targets in mind as he looks to improve the Liverpool squad this summer but, other than Sigurdsson, the manager is keeping his cards close to his chest.

"I like to very much keep my counsel on potential targets," he said. "I think there are a few players who can come in and improve the group straight away.
    "I know the types of player I need to bring here to make us function well and that's something myself, the club and the board will look at.
    "I know what we've got, more or less, in the squad, but I also know there are a couple of signings that could really improve what we do.
    "That's something we'll work together on over the course of the summer and hopefully we can get one or two in."

Uploads

Michael Laudrup: New Swansea manager

MICHAEL LAUDRUP GETS SWANSEA JOB

Swansea have confirmed the appointment of former Denmark international Michael Laudrup as their new manager.
    Laudrup replaces Brendan Rodgers who joined Liverpool earlier this month.
    The former Brondby, Getafe, Spartak Moscow and Real Mallorca boss has penned a two-year-deal with the Welsh club.
    A statement read: "Swansea City are pleased to confirm the appointment of Michael Laudrup as the club's new manager.
    "Contracts were completed at noon today on a two-year deal."
    Laudrup, 47, won five Spanish league titles with Barcelona and Real Madrid in the early 1990s and was one of the players of his generation, but has yet to replicate that success as a manager.
    However, former team-mate Jan Molby believes an opportunity at the Liberty Stadium could be the opening Laudrup has been looking for.
    "If you look at his CV, he did very well with Brondby with a young group of players, got them playing the right way," the former Liverpool midfielder said.

"Then you look at his next three jobs: Getafe, I thought he did well but fell out with the owner, had a great run in the Europa League, almost knocked out the mighty Bayern Munich.
    "Moscow, I think he just landed in a country where it was impossible with language difficulties, they just didn't allow him to do what he wants to.
    "And from the moment he set foot in Mallorca they were just beset with financial problems that he never quite got over.
    "This is the opportunity now, he has to make a mark as a manager."
    While Swansea - who comfortably retained their top-flight status with an 11th-place finish - have confirmed their new manager, the club's hopes of completing the signing of Gylfi Sigurdsson appear to be over.

Swansea had agreed a 6.8million fee with Hoffenheim for the Iceland midfielder, who scored seven goals in 17 appearances during his loan spell in south Wales, as well as personal terms.
    But Rodgers' exit for Anfield led Sigurdsson to admit he had reservations about making a permanent switch to the Liberty Stadium.
    And it is understood that the deal will not go ahead, which will alert Rodgers, who has admitted an interest in signing the former Reading man should he not complete his move to Swansea.

Uploads

Guti: West Ham target, according to agent

HAMMERS LINKED WITH GUTI MOVE

The agent of Spanish veteran Guti has claimed that West Ham are considering a move for the former Real Madrid midfielder.
    Guti, who won the Champions League three times with Real, is available on a free transfer after being released by Turkish club Besiktas.
    He is now thought to be a transfer target for West Ham, with reports suggesting that Sam Allardyce has agreed to take the 35-year-old on the club's pre-season tour of Austria.

Guti's representative, Barry O'Connor, said in The Sun: "West Ham will make a final decision before the season starts."
    West Ham won promotion back to the Premier League via the play-offs and Allardyce is understood to want a few more experienced players before the new campaign kicks off.
    A deal has already been finalised this week to bring in goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen following his departure from relegated Bolton.

Uploads

Michael Owen: Set to join Stoke

STOKE FAVOURITES TO LAND MICHAEL OWEN

Michael Owen is expected to join Stoke later this month despite apparent interest from Everton.
    Owen was released by Manchester United this summer after three years at Old Trafford which were scarred by injury problems.
    The 32-year-old confirmed he had no plans to retire, having previously stated his intention to remain in the top flight.
    And, despite playing just 10 times since January 2011, there has been plenty of interest in Owen with Stoke now looking like the preferred option for England's fourth highest scorer.

It does seem like an obvious move. Manager Tony Pulis recently admitted an interest in Owen "along with a number of other players", and Stoke is barely 30 miles from the striker's plush Manor House Stables complex which, under the guidance of trainer Tom Dascombe, is gaining an impressive reputation in racing circles.
    There is some competition from Everton, although whether Owen would be willing to join the Goodison Park outfit given his status as a former Liverpool player is open to debate.

Some uncertainty at the Merseyside outfit lingers anyway as David Moyes remains among the favourites to fill the managerial vacancy at Tottenham, even though his odds have drifted from the immediate aftermath of Harry Redknapp's exit.
    The arrival of Owen would represent a further move away from the perception of Pulis having a long-ball team.
    Although they tended to rely on the aerial threat of Ricardo Fuller when they returned to the top flight in 2008, Peter Crouch has never been viewed as a target man despite his height and he spent much of last season in tandem with Jonathan Walters.
    Fitness permitting, Pulis would presumably be looking for Owen's predatory instincts to maximise the goal threat of a side who found the net just 36 times last term, the worst record in the entire Premier League.