Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 23-06-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 23-06-2012

Latest Transfer Update at 23-06-2012

Andre Villas-Boas: Heavily linked with Tottenham

AVB REJECTS SPURS 'LIES'

Andre Villas-Boas has rejected recent reports linking him with the vacant manager's job at Tottenham as "lies".
    The former Chelsea boss is the odds-on favourite to be appointed at White Hart Lane following the shock departure of Harry Redknapp earlier this month.
    Widespread reports suggested the Portuguese was the leading choice of Spurs chairman Daniel Levy as the north London club look to secure regular Champions League football.

But there had been suggestions that Villas-Boas was unhappy at the way in which Spurs were considering other candidates, despite previously indicating he could be interested in the role.
    And the former Porto boss left little area for doubt when asked about the Tottenham speculation by the Portuguese press.
    He was quoted as saying by Portuguese newspaper O Jogo: "There is nothing, it is all lies."

Villas-Boas endured a brief and unhappy time in the Premier League with Chelsea, losing his job in March after some disappointing results and amid suggestions of dressing room unrest.
    Spurs may now have to turn their attentions elsewhere as they search for a successor to Redknapp, who was axed after three-and-a-half years.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 23-06-2012

Diego Colotto: On the move

COLOTTO JOINS ESPANYOL

Espanyol have completed their first signing of the summer with the capture of defender Diego Colotto on a free transfer from Deportivo La Coruna.
    The 31-year-old played 77 times in the Primera Division during his first three years at Depor and was also part of the Segunda Division title-winning side in 2011/12, the Galicians earning promotion back to the top flight at the first time of asking.
    However, despite that success, the Argentinian admitted the opportunity to link up with his compatriot Mauricio Pochettino, the Espanyol coach, was too great to turn down.

He told AS: "It has been a difficult decision for me because Deportivo is my home. They opened the door to Europe for me and I am very thankful, but then this possibility arose and I think I have done the right thing.
    "It is important to have a winner as a coach and someone who is demanding of his players, someone that always wants more.
    "I am coming here with the idea of growing as a player and improving an already-consolidated group. I want to fight for important goals this season."
    Colotto could turn out to be a replacement for Jordi Amat, who is attracting interest from city rivals Barcelona.
    Sporting director Ramon Planes confirmed Barca had contacted Espanyol over the possibility of taking the 20-year-old on loan for a season.
    Planes told Sport: "Barcelona have asked about the availability of Jordi Amat on loan.

"I don't know if it would be the first time that a player has left here to go on loan to Barcelona but this ought to lift the confidence of Espanyol."
    Amat, who made seven starts for Los Pericos in La Liga in 2011/12, is part of an emerging crop of impressive young players who have been given their chance in the first team by Pochettino.

Uploads

Shinji Kagawa: Summer signing for Ferguson

FERGUSON THRILLED WITH KAGAWA

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes Shinji Kagawa is ideally suited to life at Old Trafford.
    Kagawa completed his move from German double winners Borussia Dortmund yesterday after passing a medical.
    The Japan midfielder has signed a four-year contract and is expected to accompany United on their pre-season tour of South Africa and China after it was confirmed he would not be selected for Olympic duty.
    And, after missing out on Lille's Eden Hazard, the United boss is delighted to have got his man.
    "Shinji is an exciting young midfielder with great skill, vision and a good eye for goal," said Ferguson.
    "I am delighted he has chosen to come to United.

"I believe he will make an impact upon the team very quickly as he is suited to United's style of play.
    "We are all looking forward to working with him."
    Kagawa is United's second capture of the summer, following the arrival of England Under-19 international Nick Powell from Crewe.
    Ferguson has been under pressure to strengthen his midfield for two years now, with many fans believing it lacks quality compared to a number of United's rivals.

Paul Scholes did abandon his retirement in the middle of last season and, together with Ryan Giggs, has signed on for a further year with the Red Devils.
    However, with question marks over the fitness of Anderson and Darren Fletcher, who is still to attempt a comeback after it was revealed he was suffering a bowel complaint, Ferguson had to make a move.

Reports that Luka Modric will demand a summer move away from Tottenham are bound to be of interest to Ferguson, although he would face stiff competition from Real Madrid for the Croatia star.
    Kagawa does bring some impressive statistics to United, though, as he looks to help the Red Devils reclaim the Premier League title.
    He helped Dortmund land successive German titles and scored 17 times in addition to claiming 13 assists as they also went on to complete the double last term.

For that reason alone, he should also avoid claims of being little more than a signing to sell shirts, a label that was attached to Park Ji-sung for so long.
    "This is a challenge I am really looking forward to," said Kagawa.
    "The Premier League is the best league in the world and Manchester United is such a massive club.
    "This is a really exciting time for me. I can't wait to meet the team and start playing."

Uploads

Sean Scannell: Huddersfield switch

HUDDERSFIELD SWOOP FOR SCANNELL

Huddersfield have completed the signing of forward Sean Scannell from Crystal Palace on a three-year deal.
    The 23-year-old made his debut for Palace back in 2007, but he has failed to hold down a regular starting role and can make a fresh start with the newly promoted Terriers.

Scannell signed a new four-and-a-half year deal with Palace last September, but he scored just four times in 37 league outings last season and Eagles boss Dougie Freedman has now allowed him to leave Selhurst Park.
    Huddersfield boss Simon Grayson has been keen to add some more firepower to his squad after they gained promotion through the League One play-offs.

Uploads

Landon Donovan: Impressed during loan spells

NEVILLE TRYING TO LURE DONOVAN BACK

Everton captain Phil Neville has revealed he is trying to persuade forward Landon Donovan to join the club.
    The 30-year-old United States international has had two spells with the Goodison Park side in the last couple of years - and Neville wants him to join permanently.

He told Sports Illustrated: "If there is a chance, I make sure that I try (to tempt him to Everton) every time I speak to him.
    "That's the first thing I say to him. Toward the end of his spell back in January I even tried to kidnap him for a while and keep him in England!
    "I'm telling the truth here when I say the last two times he's been over he's totally transformed our season.
    "He's the ultimate professional, he's got great quality, and the Everton fans love him.
    "He's a hero at Goodison Park, and he's played less than 20 games for us. I've played with some world-class right-sided players in my time, and he's up there with them."

Uploads

Charles Green: Warned players against newco exit

GREEN WARNING TO RANGERS PLAYERS

Any Rangers player who tries to force a move away from the 'newco' club could face legal action, chief executive Charles Green has warned.
    Green, the leader of the consortium which recently purchased the business and assets of the club for 5.5million, is due to meet PFA Scotland representatives on Monday and said the transfer of player contracts to newco Rangers had already taken place.
    Midfielder Rhys McCabe has reportedly lodged an official objection to the transfer of his contract to the newco and forward Sone Aluko is also reported to be unhappy to play for the new set-up.

Rangers CEO Green said: "We are meeting the PFA Scotland and their legal advisers on Monday with a view to allaying players' concerns about the transfer of contracts, so the timing of these announcements by players is hard to understand.
    "The transfer of contracts has already happened and the club's clear legal advice is that players' purported objection is ineffective.
    "Rangers would like to make it abundantly clear to players, agents and the chairmen and managers of other football clubs that we will take whatever steps necessary to challenge what we regard as a breach of contract to protect the interests of our club."
    Rangers were forced into administration over an unpaid tax bill in February, and failure to secure a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) in order to exit administration consigned the club to liquidation last week.

The new regime faces a battle to see newco Rangers granted entry into the Scottish Premier League and will face a vote by all 12 top-flight clubs on July 4, with Hearts and Dundee United having already indicated they will reject Rangers' bid.
    Manager Ally McCoist wants the players to be open about their plans and called on them to let the club's fans know what is happening.
    McCoist, in a statement jointly released with Green, said: "It has been reported that a couple of players have indicated they want to challenge the transfer of their contracts. This is news to me and no player has spoken to me about it.
    "At all times during my first year as manager I strived to show players respect and in return would have hoped they would have shown me, and more importantly the club, respect by notifying us of their intentions before making it known elsewhere.
    "Players have their own decisions to make, and I understand that, but the question they have to ask themselves is - do they want to play for Rangers or not? The formation of a new company is not the issue. The players would be playing for the same club - Rangers - in front of the same fans."
    McCoist feels that players need to make their intentions known publicly and has been critical of agents looking to get a move for their clients.

He added: "I don't want Rangers fans to be reading over the next few days how devastated players are about having to go. The fans deserve better than that. They are not daft.
    "I can understand if a player has the chance to go somewhere else and there is uncertainty about which division we will be playing in. If that is the case that is understandable but they should not expect sympathy from Rangers supporters if they use the transfer of contracts as an excuse.
    "I already know there are agents touting my players all over the United Kingdom, so let's be brutally honest. We are in a difficult situation and the contracts issue has given some players and agents the belief they can use it to leave the club.
    "The players were magnificent last season and made great sacrifices and that will never be forgotten. Now, we have to look forward and everyone should be up front and honest about their intentions."

Uploads

Ashworth (l): Looking to improve WBA's squad after Euro 2012

ASHWORTH - WEST BROM HAPPY TO WAIT

Dan Ashworth admits West Brom will enter the transfer market in search of new players once Euro 2012 is over.
    The club's sporting and technical director insists he will be working closely with the Baggies' new boss Steve Clarke as they look to improve the squad in time for the start of the new Premier League season.
    However, the former Norwich City player says Albion are in the same boat as other top flight clubs in the fact that they must remain patient until the European Championship comes to a conclusion on Sunday 1st July.

"It doesn't really affect things," Ashworth told the club's official website. "It probably just delays it for two or three weeks.
    "Last summer things started happening because there wasn't an international tournament.
    "What you find every two years, when there is a World Cup or Euros, the transfer window starts to pick up the week later.
    "The players that have been at the Euros come back a couple of weeks later than everybody else, they need to get their rest.
    "It doesn't make any difference the way this country runs or the way football is run in the transfer window.
    "We have about six weeks and July and August is when the majority of people do their business."
    Ashworth, who joined the club in 2007, has been delighted with the progression of the club in the last few seasons although he feels they should try to keep improving.

"We're delighted, if you had said to the West Bromwich Albion board, supporters and players that you would win promotion, and then achieve 11th and 10th-place finishes, everyone would have snapped your hand off.
    "But as soon as you think you have accomplished it and sit still the league is brutal and it will come back and bite you on the backside, and, if you're not careful, all that hard work will come undone.
    "We are very much aware that we have to build on what we've done."

Uploads

Tony Mowbray: Does not expect to sell any key players

MOWBRAY - NO NEED FOR BORO SALES

Middlesbrough boss Tony Mowbray insists there is no pressure on him to sell any of his leading players.
    The Teessiders have admitted there is a need to reduce the wage bill at The Riverside, with Marvin Emnes one player continually linked with a summer move, although Swansea denied they had made a renewed approach.

However, Mowbray insists this does not necessarily mean there will be a need to compromise the quality of his squad.
    "Why would we want to sell a player like Marvin?" Mowbray told the Evening Gazette. "We're in a position now where we don't have to sell players to balance the books.
    "I'm trying to build a team that will take us into the Premier League and Marvin is key to what we are trying to do.
    "He signed a new contract last summer and was our top scorer last season."

Uploads

Jason Shackell: Set for Derby stay

SHACKELL SET TO STAY AT DERBY

Derby defender Jason Shackell looks set to stay at Pride Park despite attracting interest from a number of other clubs.
    Shackell only joined the Rams in a 1m-plus deal last year but with manager Nigel Clough having to sell to add to his squad, Derby were understood to be open to offers for him.
    County have rejected four offers from three different clubs since the end of the season, with Burnley understood to have made two of those bids, but Rams chief executive Tom Glick has indicated he is going nowhere.

"We've turned down four bids from three different clubs on Jason at this point," he said.
    "Simply put, Jason is an essential player for us. He played every minute of every game and it's no surprise we've had interest in him, from more than those three clubs, too.
    "He's a top player in the Championship and a leader for us, so it would take a lot to pry him away from Derby."

Uploads

Roberto Soldado: Extends Los Che deal

NEW VALENCIA DEAL FOR SOLDADO

Roberto Soldado has extended his contract with Valencia until the summer of 2017.
    Soldado was the joint top-scoring Spaniard in the Primera Division along with Fernando Llorente last season as his 17 goals helped guide Los Che to their third consecutive third-placed finish.
    The former Real Madrid man also scored seven times in European competition as Valencia progressed to the Europa League semi-finals, but after scoring only once his last 10 games of the campaign Soldado was overlooked by Vicente del Bosque for the Spanish squad at the European Championships as his former club boss instead chose to take Llorente, Alvaro Negredo and Fernando Torres.

However, the 27-year-old's place as Valencia's main man has rarely been in doubt during his two-year stay at the Mestalla and his experience could become even more important next season with rookie manager Mauricio Pellegrino set to take over from Unai Emery.
    Valencia president Manuel Llorente told the club's website: "Roberto's performance is fantastic as everyone has seen.
    His application, desire to do the best for Valencia and winning mentality is a key part of this Valencia side and a reference for the Valencia support."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast