Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 01-07-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 01-07-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 01-07-2012

Seedorf seals Botafogo move

Dutchman signs two-year deal with Brazilians
    Last Updated: July 1, 2012 9:18am

Clarence Seedorf: Has joined Brazilian side Botafogo after leaving AC Milan

Former Holland international Clarence Seedorf has joined Brazilian side Botafogo on a two-year-deal.
    The Surinam-born 36-year-old, who ended a 10-year stint at AC Milan this summer and had reportedly been interesting Premier League side West Ham, has been given what Botafogo claim is the most lucrative deal ever handed out to a foreign player in Brazil.

The club announced the deal in a statement which read: "Botafogo have formalised a contract with the Dutch midfielder Clarence Seedorf, who is 36.
    "Seedorf has signed a deal for two years with Botafogo."
    It went on: "It is the biggest contract for a foreigner made by a Brazilian football club."
    Rio de Janeiro-based Botafogo sit eighth in the Campeonato Brasileiro with three wins from six matches.

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 01-07-2012

Clark targets new faces

Birmingham boss keen to add quality and quantity
    Last Updated: June 30, 2012 9:02pm

Lee Clark: New Birmingham manager looking to add to his squad

Lee Clark has made boosting numbers his number one priority ahead of his first season as Birmingham City manager.
    The Championship club can boast just 14 regulars in their ranks as the players return for pre-season training this week.
    The club are currently operating under a transfer embargo, which is hampering their ability to make moves in the market, but Clark is hopeful that barrier will soon be lifted.
    And the manager says he is scouring the game for the right additions.
    "We're under-staffed and we need numbers and depth, but we also need quality," he told the Birmingham Mail.
    On the ball

"You have got to be right on the ball to find that kind of quality and we're in discussions with players and agents trying to bring players in and that will continue."
    It looks likely that Birmingham will hold on to England squad member Jack Butland, after the club allowed Ben Foster to join West Brom, whilst they are also hoping to persuade out-of-contract duo Stephen Carr and Colin Doyle to re-sign.
    But it still leaves Blues in deficit in terms of numbers lost this summer, when you consider the sale of Jordan Mutch to Cardiff, the release of Caleb Folan and Cian Hughton, and the loss of loanees Andros Townsend, Guirane N'Daw, Erik Huseklepp, Boaz Myhill and Peter Ramage.
    But Chris Hughton's successor remains confident he will have no problems persuading players to move to St Andrew's.
    "Difficult? Not really," said Clark. "They see the size of the club, and when they get the chance to speak to me they will see where my ambitions lie."

Uploads

Baines aware of Man United talk
    Last Updated: July 01 2012, 08:32 BST

Leighton Baines is aware of the speculation linking him with Manchester United - but he does wish Everton could start keeping their best players.

Leighton Baines: Linked with Manchester United

Baines failed to make an appearance during England's Euro 2012 campaign, which is a shame because he would have been a handy presence during the penalty shoot-out against Italy last Sunday that ultimately cost Roy Hodgson's men their place in the competition.
    He then returned home to face stories suggesting Sir Alex Ferguson is about to make a move.
    The 27-year-old insists he knows little of United's interest.
    However, after spending five years at Goodison Park, it has become a recurring theme for Baines to witness manager David Moyes having to sell his best players.

"Obviously over the years the manager has lost players that I am sure he would have liked to have kept hold of," said Baines.
    "Whether the club has needed the money or whether it's because they have received what they consider is a considerable bid for a player they have always done good business.
    "The manager has done well in bringing people in at a certain amount and when they have moved on he has tended to double his money or more.
    "The club have always been quite savvy in that sense.
    "It has never really hindered us and it's never seen us getting any worse.
    "But maybe it would be nice to see us hang on to those players and add a couple."

Baines now finds himself being spoken about as of interest to a potential suitor.
    Recent history suggests United would not sign a player of such experience as cover for Patrice Evra, so for a deal to go through, it would surely either require a fundamental change of role for the Frenchman, or his departure from Old Trafford altogether.
    "I've been aware of what's been said in the press but I don't know much beyond that," said Baines, who still has three years left on his present deal.
    "It doesn't do any harm (to be linked) but it doesn't do any good either.
    "It's just one of those things that tends to swing around this time of year. People put two and two together sometimes they get four and sometimes they get three or five.

"It gets other people more excited than those involved."
    In the meantime, Baines will take a short break and return to Everton eager to exert further pressure on Ashley Cole for his England place.
    There was no sign of this tournament of Cole's ability diminishing.
    And, just two caps short of his century, it appears certain the 31-year-old will extent his England career into the 2014 World Cup qualifiers.
    Baines is not worried though. With eight caps to his name, he is happy to keep providing the competition.
    "Ashley is different class," said Baines.

"There are not many better than him and hopefully he can keep on playing as well as he has been because that can only be good for England.
    "I will keep trying to push him and doing what I can do.
    "Hopefully if I get a chance I can do well enough to get in there."

Uploads

McCartney back at West Ham
    Last Updated: July 1 2012, 9:57 BST

West Ham have announced they have signed Sunderland defender George McCartney on a two-year contract for what will be his third spell at Upton Park.

George McCartney: Signed for West Ham again

The 31-year-old came through the youth system at Sunderland before moving to the Hammers where he spent two years from 2006 to 2008 before rejoining the Black Cats.
    McCartney then enjoyed a successful season-long loan in east London last season as the Hammers made an immediate return to the Barclays Premier League.
    The Northern Irishman becomes the club's fourth summer capture following the arrivals of goalkeepers Jussi Jaaskelainen and Stephen Henderson from Bolton and Portsmouth respectively and Senegal midfielder Mohamed Diame from Wigan.
    "I am delighted to be coming back to West Ham and this time on a permanent basis," said the Belfast-born full-back, who won West Ham's Players' Player of the Year award last season.
    "It was great to be part of the side that won promotion for the club last season.
    "It was a fantastic way to end the campaign last year and I am really looking forward to being back in the Premier League with West Ham."

Uploads

Striker leaves Fulham

Portuguese forward Sa quits by mutual consent
    Last Updated: July 1, 2012 10:34am

Orlando Sa: Left Fulham by mutual consent after just one season at Craven Cottage

Fulham have announced Portuguese striker Orlando Sa has left the club by mutual consent.
    The 24-year-old joined the west London club from Porto at the start of last season.
    However, Sa has failed to settle in England and the club have decided to let him move on.
    Sa failed to establish himself in Martin Jol's first team, making seven appearances and scoring one goal against Norwich in a 1-1 draw on New Year's Eve.
    The 24-year-old is the third forward to leave Craven Cottage this summer following the departures of Andy Johnson and Pavel Pogrebnyak.

Uploads

McCartney makes Hammers move

Defender delighted to seal permanent switch
    Last Updated: July 1, 2012 10:15am

George McCartney: Staying at West Ham after signing a two-year deal

West Ham have signed George McCartney from Sunderland on a two-year deal.
    Full-back McCartney has made the move to Upton Park permanent after a successful loan spell last term.
    McCartney found himself well down the pecking order at Sunderland and Black Cats boss Martin O'Neill is happy to let him move on.
    The Northern Ireland international, who also had a two-year loan spell at West Ham between 2006 and 2008, is delighted to seal his move back to East London on a permanent basis.
    "I am delighted to be coming back to West Ham and this time on a permanent basis," McCartney told the club's official website.
    "It was great to be part of the side that won promotion for the club last season. It was a fantastic way to end the campaign last year and I am really looking forward to being back in the Premier League with West Ham."
    Stech exit

One player to depart to Upton Park is Czech Republic goalkeeper Marek Stech who has left the club by mutual consent after six years following his arrival from Sparta Prague.
    Meanwhile, the club have tied down youngsters Elliot Lee, Jack Powell, Kieran Sadlier and Jake Larkins to one-year pro deals after graduating from the club's academy last season.

Uploads

Mancini coy on RVP links
    Last Updated: July 1 2012, 12:53 BST

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is remaining coy on speculation linking the club with a move for Arsenal ace Robin van Persie.

Robin van Persie: Linked with a move away from Arsenal

Van Persie's future at Arsenal has been the subject of conjecture for some time with the Dutchman yet to sign a new deal at the Emirates.
    City have been strongly linked with a move for van Persie this summer with the forward entering the final year of his contract at Arsenal.
    Mancini refused to confirm if van Persie was on his list of transfer targets this summer and admits he does not expect any imminent moves at the Etihad Stadium.
    "Van Persie? He is an Arsenal player and I don't want to disrespect Wenger," Mancini told Sky Sport Italia.
    "We have four strikers and we will start the preseason in five days, it's unlikely there will be major changes in such a short time."
    Mancini also played down speculation that Edin Dzeko could leave the club for Juventus and he hopes Aleksandar Kolarov will remain at Eastlands.
    "The same goes for Dzeko, his farewell is not expected," added Mancini.

The interest of Juventus for him? It will be difficult that Edin goes away.
    "Kolarov? I myself wanted him to City, he is a great player. If it depends on me, he would remain at the City. I'd love to have him again in the next season but I cannot impose myself on his will."
    Mancini also revealed that Carlos Tevez will remain at City unless he wants to move this summer after his infamous bust-up with the Italian last season.
    "Tevez will remain, unless he wants to change team," concluded Mancini.

Uploads

Moratti wanted Balotelli back

Inter chief would be happy to make another bid for Man City striker
    Last Updated: July 1, 2012 2:08pm

Massimo Moratti: Proud of what Mario Balotelli is doing for Italy

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has admitted that he wanted to bring striker Mario Balotelli back to the San Siro.
    The Italy striker has been one of the stars of Euro 2012, scoring three goals to help the Azzurri reach the final.
    And the Nerazzurri chief has not denied he would gladly bring the 21-year-old Manchester City ace back to the Serie A giants in the blink of an eye.

Asked if he had any regrets losing Balotelli, Moratti told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "I don't deny that I planned on bringing him back to Inter. I would gladly make another bid for him again, but Manchester City had the right to say no. They wanted to hold him tight."
    Moratti has been impressed with what Balotelli has done for Cesare Prandelli's side in Poland and Ukraine this summer.
    "I am happy and proud of what Balotelli is doing. The Italian people love him even though he is a complex guy, but he is a great talent and he is proving this at international level now."

Meanwhile, City boss Roberto Mancini has told Sky Italia that he has no interest in selling the Palermo-born striker.
    "There is no chance that Balotelli will leave the club because we have invested so much time in him and he is just not for sale," insisted Mancini

Uploads

Lyon open to Lloris offers

Arsenal linked with move for French keeper
    Last Updated: July 1, 2012 2:04pm

Hugo Lloris: Linked with a move to England with Arsenal, Liverpool & Spurs all keen

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has revealed goalkeeper Hugo Lloris will be allowed to leave the club for the right price.
    French international Lloris has been strongly linked with a move away from Stade Gerland this summer with reports in France claiming Arsenal are leading the chase for the keeper.

Liverpool and Tottenham have also been credited with an interest in Lloris, but Aulas insists it will have to be a big offer to persuade Lyon to sell the custodian.

"Lloris can go, but only for a decent price in relation to the market," Aulas told TF1.
    The news is sure to fuel speculation that Lloris could be on his way to the Premier League this summer.

Uploads

McCulloch understands exodus

Midfielder says it's wrong to accuse players of chasing money
    Last Updated: July 1, 2012 12:54pm

Lee McCulloch: Understands why many players have decided to leave Rangers

Lee McCulloch insists he does not blame any of the Rangers players for wanting to leave the Ibrox giants.
    Just seven of the midfielder's team-mates decided to join owner Charles Green's newco.
    However, Allan McGregor, Steve Davis, Stevie Naismith, John Fleck, Steven Whittaker, Kyle Lafferty, Sone Aluko, Jamie Ness and Rhys McCabe have all opted to leave the Gers this summer.
    McCulloch, 34, has been informed he would be within his rights to walk away from the club on a free transfer at the start of July, but he is not willing to turn his back on the Glasgow outfit.
    However, the former Motherwell and Wigan player fully understands why many players have decided to quit Rangers.
    No blame

"I would have preferred the lads to have stayed with Rangers but they have chosen not to. I respect and understand exactly where they are coming from," he told the Sunday Mail.
    "I don't blame any of the guys and I do not look upon them as turning their backs on the club. I also think it's wrong to accuse them of chasing money.
    "All they have done is look out for their families and their careers. Most of the guys who have left are internationalists and need to be playing at a certain level.
    "It should be remembered the sacrifices they made to help save jobs at this club. They gave up hundreds of thousands of pounds for the good of the club when we went into administration.
    "That should never be forgotten and it wasn't the act of selfish men. I don't have any hard feelings towards any of them and I never will. They have been my mates and I know it will remain that way for years to come."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast