Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 05-07-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 05-07-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 05-07-2012

Sigurdsson - AVB swung deal

Icelander looking forward to a bright future in north London

Gylfi Sigurdsson: The Iceland midfielder has joined Tottenham after rejecting rival interest from Liverpool

Gylfi Sigurdsson revealed a quick conversation with new Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas was enough to convince him to turn his back on Liverpool and sign for Tottenham.
    The 22-year-old had agreed a 6.8m move to Swansea, where he was on loan last season from Hoffenheim, until boss Brendan Rodgers left for Liverpool and the deal fell through.
    Rodgers then tried to take the Iceland midfielder to Anfield before Spurs snatched the playmaker from under their noses after showing him their plans for the future.
    "I like him (Andre Villas-Boas) and the ideas he has," Sigurdsson told Icelandic website mbl.is.
    Impressed

"He has faith in me and I'm looking forward to working under his leadership.
    "I enjoyed playing under Brendan and I am grateful for everything he has done for me, but after careful consideration I liked Spurs best.
    "The team has world-class players in their ranks and they play good football, which I like.
    "I was impressed with the club's plans for next season and the coming years. There is clearly great ambition at Tottenham and the club intends to do big things.
    "It is a pleasure to see that Gareth Bale has signed a new contract. There are top players in the team and the club is getting a new training ground."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 05-07-2012

Veloso signs for Dynamo Kiev

Portugal international leaves Genoa for Ukraine

Miguel Veloso: The Portugal star will be playing for Ukraine giants Dynamo Kiev this season

Miguel Veloso has completed his move to Dynamo Kiev after signing a four-year deal with the Ukrainian club.
    The 26-year-old's signature is a signal of how serious the club are to reclaim the title from champions Shakhtar Donetsk.
    Veloso, who helped Portugal to the semi-finals of Euro 2012, leaves Italian side Genoa after two seasons in Serie A.
    "Miguel Veloso has signed with Dynamo for a period of four years," a statement on the club's official website read.
    "He will soon join up with his new team which is currently training for the new season in Austria."

Uploads

Juve confirm Lucio deal

Brazilian defender signs two-year contract

By Nadia Carminati. Last Updated: July 4, 2012 10:10pm

Lucio: Brazilian defender has signed a two-year deal with Juventus

Brazilian defender Lucio has joined Juventus on a two-year deal just days after leaving Inter Milan by mutual consent.
    The 34-year-old former Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich player passed a medical in Turin earlier on Wednesday before putting pen to paper.
    In his time at Inter, Lucio won one Scudetto, two Coppa Italia, one Super Coppa, the UEFA Champions League and the Club World Cup.
    He lifted the World Cup with Brazil in 2002 and has now been given the chance to remain in Serie A after switching to Juventus.
    Completed

A statement on the club's official website read: "Lucio has completed a move to Juventus.
    "The Brazilian defender joins the Bianconeri on a free transfer and has signed a two-year contract, keeping him with the club until 30 June 2014."
    Lucio added: "I am happy with this new experience, it is a new chapter of my life. Juventus have always been a strong side and I hope to help the team.
    "I'm ready to do my best for the team and want to use my strength and experience to always give Juve the chance to be in first place."

Uploads

Clarets wrap up Shackell deal

Defender departs Derby for Turf Moor on four-year contract
    Last Updated: July 5, 2012 7:52am

Jason Shackell: Has completed move from Derby to Burnley

Burnley have completed the capture of Derby County defender Jason Shackell on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.
    Sky Sports reported earlier this week the Clarets were close to signing the 28-year-old stopper and the Championship club have now confirmed the deal.
    Shackell was an ever-present for the Rams last season after previous spells with Barnsley, Wolves and Norwich City and captained Nigel Clough's side in the absence of defensive partner Shaun Barker.
    County manager Clough said: "Jason has always been 100 per cent professional and a fantastic player to work with.
    Interest

"He played in every minute of every game last season, so it came to no great shock when other clubs registered their interest in him.
    "Although I am sad to see Jason leave, we have Jake Buxton, Tom Naylor and Mark O'Brien, who have all proved to be more than capable at performing in the npower Championship.
    "We are also actively looking to bring in another central defender, and hope to make an announcement in the not too distant future.
    "I am sure that I speak for everybody at the Club when I wish Jason the very best for his future career at Burnley - just as long as they finish below us in the table."

Uploads

Regan fears for Scottish game

Scottish football faces a "slow, lingering death" if newco Rangers start life in the Irn-Bru Third Division, SFA chief executive Stewart Regan claims.

Regan: Rangers must go into First Division
    In the immediate aftermath of Scottish Premier League clubs rejecting Charles Green's application for top-flight entry, Regan also made a stark claim that depriving Rangers fans of their team would spark "social unrest".
    Regan made it clear the SFA could not allow the Ibrox club to start at the bottom, meaning Scottish Football League clubs face the prospect of an SPL2 breakaway if they reject a plan to put them in the First Division.
    Regan said: "The only solution for the game now is that Rangers come into the Scottish Football League and they come into it in the First Division.

"If Rangers were to go anywhere other than the First Division, then there would something in the region of 15.7million worth of losses to the game.
    "For the bigger clubs at the top of the league, that's half their annual distributions. For clubs at the bottom it is basically wiping out their entire distributions, for some of the smaller clubs it's a huge proportion of their annual turnover.
    "Even if Rangers end up in the First Division, there is still going to be a 5million loss of income to the SPL clubs.
    "The game is not sustainable so there would be a slow lingering death for the game in Scotland.
    "It would then trickle down to the SFL. From our perspective as the governing body, we cannot allow that to happen."
    The SFA chief executive also confirmed a real threat to television contracts.
    "We have had dialogue with the broadcasters and we understand what the various stakeholders from Sky television, ESPN, Sport Five and a number of the SPL's other commercial partners are likely to do in the event Rangers are not in either of the top two tiers," he said. "It's not pretty.
    "That's why we cannot sit back and let that happen without trying to get all parties to accept this is the only solution which can keep the game afloat.
    "Without Old Firm games, the value drops, the overseas deals are almost exclusively about the Old Firm derby and that would go immediately.
    "It is fair to say the broadcasters would live with a year without Rangers in the SPL, because it could be a fantastic story for them, which is why I think First Division rights will be an interest as people will want to see how this club is going to bounce back."

Sevco Scotland's application to assume Rangers' membership of the SFA is also outstanding and it is believed not all relevant information was received in the company's application pack on Friday. Rangers faced possible suspension and termination of membership if they did not accept a transfer embargo but Regan believes there would be dire consequences if there was no football at Ibrox.
    "Without Rangers, there is social unrest and a big problem for Scottish society," the Englishman said. "There are thousands of Rangers fans whose fathers and parents and grandfathers have been Rangers fans. You can't contemplate a situation without that and if Rangers weren't to exist that could have real dire consequences."
    But the SFA will not allow the new Rangers to start with a clean slate.
    "The membership cannot be transferred on financial grounds alone," he said. "It has to have a degree of sporting integrity and that means sporting sanctions."

Uploads

Van Persie set for Arsenal exit
    Last Updated: July 5 2012, 7:15 BST

Arsenal must decide whether to cash in on wantaway striker Robin van Persie after the captain insisted he had to leave the Emirates Stadium to win trophies.

Van Persie: No new deal at Arsenal
    Holland international Van Persie last night issued a carefully-worded statement on his official website revealing he would not be penning an extension to his current deal with the Gunners, which expires next summer.

7. Robin van Persie

Appearances 3 (0)
    Goals 1
    Assists 0
    Yellows 1
    Reds 0
    *Current Season

The 28-year-old netted 37 goals in all competitions as Arsenal eventually secured third place, and manager Arsene Wenger recently declared the club must retain their talisman "at all costs".
    However, despite meeting with Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis at the end of last season and the signings of Germany striker Lukas Podolski as well as France forward Olivier Giroud, Van Persie remains unconvinced he can fulfil his ambitions with the club he joined as a raw talent from Feyenoord in May 2004.
    Van Persie will turn 29 in August, and the next contract he agrees could well be his last at the highest level.
    Both Serie A winners Juventus and Barclays Premier League champions Manchester City are said to be ready to test Arsenal's resolve with 20million-plus bids.
    However, the Gunners - who last summer saw both Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri sold - could also look to hold Van Persie to the terms of his deal.
    A brief statement on the club's official website read: "Robin has one year to run on his current contract and we are confident that he will fulfil his commitments to the club.
    "We have to respect Robin's decision not to renew his contract.
    "We are planning with ambition and confidence for next season with Arsenal's best interests in mind."
    Arsenal are set to tour Asia at the end of the month, and will also play a game in Nigeria.

Whether or not their captain will now be part of the travelling squad remains to be seen.
    Van Persie, though, made it perfectly clear disagreements over the direction of the club means he does not want any part of Arsenal's long-term future.
    In an open letter to fans on his website he wrote: "I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract.
    "As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the boss and Mr Gazidis after the season. This was a meeting about the club's future strategy and their policy.
    "Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I don't want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal should move forward."
    The Dutchman maintained he would always "love" Arsenal, where he had "become a man", but insisted a fresh start was needed to fulfil his own ambitions.
    "Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all," said Van Persie, who would be offered huge wages in the region of 200,000 per week at City.
    "I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days."

Uploads

Julio Cesar dismisses exit talk
    Last Updated: July 5 2012, 8:38 BST

Inter Milan goalkeeper Julio Cesar has rubbished reports he will leave the club this summer.

Julio Cesar: No plans to leave Inter
    The 32-year-old has been linked with a move away from the San Siro with Inter close to signing Udinese goalkeeper Samir Handanovic.
    Udinese confirmed on Wednesday they had agreed a deal to sell the Slovenian to Inter.
    "I have a contract until 2014," Julio Cesar said to Sky Italia. "I will stay and play for my position.
    "Inter have a great squad."

The Brazil international does not see the imminent arrival of Handanovic as a threat to his career at Inter.
    "Handanovic is a good goalkeeper," Julio Cesar said. "This would be the best for us as we would have three great goalkeepers.
    "If he joins Inter it is only because he is good."
    The South American joined Inter from Chievo in 2006 and is a reported target of Manchester United and Roma.

Uploads

O'Leary joins Swans coaching team
    Last Updated: July 5 2012, 10:30 BST

New Swansea boss Michael Laudrup has added club stalwart Kristian O'Leary to his backroom staff.

Laudrup: Adds O'Leary to coaching team
    O'Leary spent almost two decades at the club after joining as an apprentice in 1992, making over 300 appearances for the Swans before leaving in February 2010.
    He took over as manager of Welsh Premier League side Neath last season, guiding them to a third-place finish, but financial difficulties saw the club fail to attain the required domestic licence and they were relegated before being wound up.
    He now returns to the Liberty Stadium as a coach with responsibility for helping develop the club's youngsters for first-team action.
    O'Leary will also be in charge of the reserve team, which is likely to switch to an under-21 format.

He told the club website: "I'm honoured and excited. Ironically it's 18 years to the day (July 4) that I signed for the club as an apprentice.
    "Now I'm joining as a coach and it's a great honour to be back starting my second apprenticeship.
    "It helps that I've been around long enough to see what it takes to play for this football club, especially being around as a player when Roberto Martinez initiated the change in playing style to its current philosophy.
    "When I left the club two years ago I hoped and dreamed that this day would come. Everyone knows the feelings I have for this club and, as always, I will give everything to my new role."

Swansea will begin pre-season training ahead of their second Premier League campaign on Monday.
    Laudrup has yet to delve into the transfer market since being named as successor to Brendan Rodgers, but is reportedly interested in moves for Genoa defender Chico Flores and Villarreal midfielder Jonathan de Guzman, both of whom he worked with at Mallorca.

Uploads

Dos Santos eyes Spurs exit

Mexican forward reckons he is close to sealing Spain return
    Last Updated: July 5, 2012 2:09pm

Dos Santos: Claims Tottenham have tried to sell him for over 9million

Giovani Dos Santos believes his Tottenham nightmare is about to come to an end.
    Since signing from Barcelona four years ago, the 23-year-old has made just two Premier League starts for Spurs and been sent out on loan to Racing Santander, Galatasaray and Ipswich.
    The 23-year-old was allowed to leave Mexico's pre-Olympic training camp last weekend to focus on his club future.
    And Dos Santos, who has been linked with Sevilla, Real Betis and Atletico Madrid, reckons he is now closing to securing a third move to La Liga.
    "I want to return to Spain," he told ESPN Radio.
    Announcement due

"There is a new coach at Tottenham, a new season is starting and it is clear to me that I want to return to Spanish football.
    "I think that I will be able to announce the move soon."
    Tottenham paid Barca 4.7million for the Mexico international, with the Spanish giants also agreeing a 10 per cent sell-on clause.
    And Dos Santos, who has won 59 senior caps, has accused Spurs of pricing him out of a permanent move away from White Hart Lane.
    "Tottenham have always tried to sell me for double the price that they paid for me," he said.
    "There are offers, but nothing can be made public yet."

Uploads

Coyle - No Davies offers

Bolton boss also confident of keeping Bogdan and Lee
    Last Updated: July 5, 2012 2:40pm

Mark Davies: Linked with a move elsewhere but Owen Coyle says he will stay at Bolton

Owen Coyle says there have been no approaches for Mark Davies and has warned potential suitors that he will fight to keep all his star players.
    Davies' future has been the subject of speculation in recent days after reports linked him with a move to Liverpool.
    However, Coyle insists the 24-year-old midfielder is among a core group of young players he hopes to build his new Trotters squad around.
    Coyle is determined to secure an immediate return to the Premier League and is confident the likes of Davies, Adam Bogdan and Lee Chung-yong will stay at the club.

"I'm an open book, I've always told you from day one if there's been any interest in my players, whether it be Gary Cahill or any other," said the Scot in reference to the England centre-back who left the Reebok Stadium for Chelsea in January.
    "I can tell you there's been absolutely no phone calls, no dialogue, nothing about Mark Davies.
    "It's the usual paper speculation and conjecture.
    "If anybody out there thinks any of our players will be leaving on a whim then they're sadly mistaken.
    "Since I came in and inherited that squad, when they were second-bottom of the league and everything else, we've had to patch things up year-by-year because there were players who were on long-term contracts and big money that we couldn't move on.
    Nucleus

"We've now got young players that we've tied up on long-term contracts because that's the future of the club. That'll move us on and take us back to the Premier League, I believe.
    "Mark Davies, Adam Bogdan and Lee Chung-yong - these are all lads that I've tied up on long-term contracts and we did that because we want them at the football club, to be the nucleus of the team that drives us forward.
    "So I can assure you, as far as I'm concerned and the chairman and the owner know my feelings, those players are scheduled to be with us for next season and are looking to get back to the Premier League."

Nigel Reo-Coker and veteran goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen stand as the Trotters' main departures so far this summer, and Coyle has been buoyed by the captures of centre-back Matt Mills and Republic of Ireland midfielder Keith Andrews from Leicester and West Brom respectively.
    "Both players, as you can imagine, were being chased by various clubs all over the country and, indeed, out of England as well," he added. "There was huge interest in them.
    "Keith has loads of international experience as we've seen in the European Championship. As much as Ireland had a difficult time, he actually acquitted himself very well."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast