Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 12-07-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 12-07-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 12-07-2012

Rodgers confident Suarez will sign
    Last Updated: July 11 2012, 15:18 BST

Brendan Rodgers claims to have held productive talks with Luis Suarez and is confident the striker will agree a contract extension at Liverpool.

Luis Suarez: In talks over new contract
    As the new man in charge at Anfield, Rodgers has spent his first few weeks in the job casting an eye over those at his disposal.
    He is looking to identify areas which need to be strengthened and those which require key men to be tied down on fresh terms.
    Suarez is considered to be integral to the Reds' future plans, with the Uruguay international having become a firm Kop favourite during his 18 months in England.

Rodgers is aware that retaining the South American's services is vital and has already opened discussions regarding a new deal.
    He says he has heard enough from Suarez to suggest that the 25-year-old is willing to extend his stay on Merseyside.
    "I have had a good conversation with Luis over the phone," Rodgers told the club's official website.
    "From the outset, he has seemed a really good guy. He loves the city and the passion.

"We have exchanged lots of texts. He sent me a text on the first morning, wishing me good luck.
    "He has really bought into what we are trying to do. He was really excited about how we played at Swansea last year. He is really keen and looking forward to playing in a similar sort of model.
    "There has been good dialogue (on a contract). I would hope going forward that we can close that out."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 12-07-2012

Modric in Spurs exit talks
    Last Updated: July 11 2012, 15:37 BST

Andre Villas-Boas has revealed that Luka Modric wants to leave Tottenham and discussions are continuing with 'various interested clubs', but he will only be sold if the right offer comes in.

Luka Modric: Keen to leave Tottenham

Modric has been a star performer for Spurs since making the move to White Hart Lane in 2008, but has again been linked with a move elsewhere this summer.

• Profiles

Chairman Daniel Levy stood firm to keep the Croatian at the club 12 months ago when he had set his sights on a switch to Chelsea, and Villas-Boas admits Tottenham have to respect his wishes.
    Villas-Boas, who recently replaced Harry Redknapp as manager, says there is plenty of interest in Modric but he is such a key player that it would be hard to let him go.

"I think Luka is a player of tremendous importance for this football club, and it has been like that since he joined the club," Villas-Boas told Sky Sports News.
    "The interest that we have from various different clubs shows the importance of the player and what he has done for Tottenham.
    "I think it is fair to say we respect Luka's ambitions and his willingness to move on, and I think Luka respects as well that he is an important player for the club who can help us move forward.

"I think ongoing discussions with these various clubs will continue until we reach an agreement which is sensible for each party."
    Asked to confirm that it looked like Modric would be leaving, Villas-Boas added: "Not really. The willingness is there from the player but a player of this importance is not easy to part company with.
    "But I think the chairman is a person who respects the values of the football club and only with the right offer will we take that step."
    Joao Moutinho has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Modric after impressing for Portugal at Euro 2012.
    Villas-Boas knows the midfielder well from his time with Porto and admits he would be interested in securing his services, although there are also other targets in mind.

"He was one of the most important players at Euro 2012, of course. He had a fantastic tournament," said Villas-Boas.
    "He is also an important player for Porto and of course counting on players of this dimension will always be interesting for us.
    "It does not mean he is the only target we are looking at, but eventually if something happens he is a player we are looking at with some interest."

Uploads

Steffen Freund back at Tottenham
    Last Updated: July 11 2012, 14:11 BST

Former Tottenham midfielder Steffen Freund has been named as the club's assistant head coach under new manager Andre Villas-Boas.

Steffen Freund: Back at White Hart Lane
    Confirmation of the appointment came from the club shortly before Villas-Boas was due to give his first press conference since taking over from Harry Redknapp.
    "We are delighted to announce the appointment of former player Steffen Freund as our new Assistant Head Coach," the club said in a statement.

"Steffen became a popular figure amongst our supporters after joining the club in 1998 from Borussia Dortmund, spending five years at White Hart Lane and was part of our League Cup winning side of 1999.
    "He made a total of 120 appearances in our colours and has since been inducted into the club's Hall of Fame."
    Freund has coaching experience at international level, having led German youth teams at under-16 , under-17 and under-20 level, and working as an assistant to Berti Vogts with Nigeria.

Uploads

Pardew holds transfer hope
    Last Updated: July 12 2012, 8:56 BST

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is confident of making a transfer breakthrough within the next fortnight - but is also glad nobody has left.

Alan Pardew: Pleased nobody has left
    The Magpies have spent recent weeks trying to strike deals for their top summer targets, to date with little tangible success.
    However, having cooled their interest in FC Twente striker Luuk De Jong after baulking at the asking price and the player's interest in a switch to Borussia Monchengladbach, they are hopeful of success elsewhere in the near future.
    Asked if any signings were imminent, Pardew said: "No, I don't think so, not in the immediate week or so, but certainly over the next 14 days, I would like to think a body would come in.

"I would like to think we have got a strategy, and we are looking at various options of players to come in, of course.
    "The good news for us is we haven't lost anybody, and we are doing everything we can to make sure that this team that bedded in so well last year goes forward together."
    Pardew has been heavily linked with Lille full-back Mathieu Debuchy, as well as Twente defender Douglas, but is considering a range of potential signings as he prepares for the new Barclays Premier League campaign and the challenge of Europa League football.
    By this time last year, he already had the likes of Demba Ba, Yohan Cabaye and Sylvain Marveaux on board, although the relative lack of activity so far 12 months on - only youngsters Romain Amalfitano and Gael Bigirimana have signed to date - does not have the manager unduly concerned.

He said: "It was a different scenario last year. We didn't finish fifth, so we had a lot of work to do.
    "I am just very, very pleased that the successful players that we have had have all come back fit and well. They all look strong, they all look like they are ready to go again now, let alone in four weeks' time.
    "If they see one or two come in before then, it's going to give them a boost.
    "Sometimes with signings, timing is very, very important, as [January signing Papiss] Cisse proved last year.
    "We are keeping an eye on when players should come in and making sure the gang we have here, who are 90% of our team, are on the ball."

However, Pardew refused to be drawn on whether or not he would be in the market for a loan move to bring striker Andy Carroll back to Tyneside, should Liverpool decide to allow their 35million signing to make a temporary move.
    He said: "There's a lot of talk about players when new managers go in, and situations get all cloudy. I don't think that's completely resolved one way or the other, so I wouldn't really like to comment.

"He did an absolutely terrific job here. I have always supported him while he has been at Liverpool, where a lot of other people weren't, and I thought he got a bit of a raw deal, to be honest, not by Liverpool, but by the media in general.
    "I think he is going to be a great player - but where he treads the boards, so to speak, we will have to wait and see."

Uploads

Butland: Move not an option yet
    Last Updated: July 12 2012, 7:49 BST

Birmingham's highly-rated teenage goalkeeper Jack Butland insists he's focused on getting regular first-team football with the club next year rather than a move to the Premier League.

Butland: Linked with a number of Premier League clubs
    The 19-year-old has been named in the Team GB squad for the Olympics and was England's third-choice at Euro 2012 but has yet to make his senior debut for Blues.

He has nevertheless attracted the attention of Southampton, among others.
    At the moment, though, Butland is focusing on sealing his place in Birmingham's first XI.
    "I want to play as many games at the highest level as I possibly can," he told the Daily Express.

"I should be pushing for a first-team place at Birmingham. That's what I want, not to be sitting on the bench. It is time I played now.
    "I've had some great experiences with England at the European Championship and I can't wait for the Olympics to start.
    "My name has been linked with some interested clubs and that's flattering. It's not an option for me now though, I need games."

Uploads

Abramovich quit on me - AVB
    Last Updated: July 12 2012, 7:22 BST

New Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas feels Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich "quit on me" after deciding to call a premature end to their Stamford Bridge project last season.

Andre Villas-Boas: New Tottenham manager
    The 34-year-old was sacked just eight months into his former post in March, when the Blues were outside the top four of the Barclays Premier League.
    However, under the guidance of then interim coach Roberto di Matteo, Chelsea went on to win both the FA Cup and also become kings of Europe following a dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Bayern Munich.

Villas-Boas was lured from Porto, where he had won the Europa League, after Chelsea met his release clause of 15 million Euros (13.3million).
    The Portuguese coach would not go into specifics, but maintains he was let down by the Blues billionaire Russian owner.
    "I respect the decision of the owner of Chelsea, but I will never accept it," Villas-Boas said as he held his first media conference at Tottenham's new multi-million training complex in Enfield.

"I told him that for me it was him quitting on me when he had been so much involved in the beginning in bringing me in and he was the one also who was not putting up to the things he promised."
    The Spurs boss continued: "It is all very well that you cut the project short and Chelsea go on to win two trophies and you say how wonderful the squad was, but at the beginning nobody believed in that squad when we put it together.
    "It was a tremendous learning experience which I am grateful in some ways to have gone through it because it makes me a better coach and a better person at this time.
    "But the decision to cut it short was not mine and for Chelsea to have won the Champions League and to have won the FA Cup was because we were still in those competitions.

"I had the opportunity to win them cut short and I had cut short the opportunity to qualify for the Champions League when I was just three points off the fourth position, this is what I recall from the day when I was sacked."
    Villas-Boas insists he has taken much on board from his short spell in charge of Chelsea, during which there were some disagreements with senior players over tactics and direction.
    "I am not a guy who is able to criticise anyone in public, but I am not a guy who promotes individuals in public," he said.

"I understand now that certain things can be done better and in the end you evolve in different ways.
    "Hopefully I can apply the different things I have learned properly."
    Despite his difficult spell at Chelsea, there were no shortage of offers for the former Porto coach.
    However, Villas-Boas admits making an immediate return to "what is arguably the best league in the world" with Spurs was "an obvious temptation".

Spurs decided to go in a new direction after sacking Harry Redknapp at the end of a campaign which had promised so much but which ultimately failed to deliver Champions League football.
    "Hopefully I can build on from what Harry left me with, pushing towards even more ambition," said Villas-Boas, who has penned a three-year deal at White Hart Lane.

Uploads

Ba central to Pardew's plans
    Last Updated: July 12 2012, 8:51 BST

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has not seen any signs that Demba Ba wants to leave the club, while he is keeping a "close eye" on Blackburn's Junior Hoilett.

Ba: Hasn't told Pardew he wants to leave

Ba has been strongly linked with a move away from the Magpies this summer as he has a buy-out clause in his contract which can be activated up until the end of July.
    However, Pardew is confident that Ba will remain on Tyneside after speaking to the Senegal striker since his return to pre-season.
    Ba has asked to be given some indication about where he will be expected to play this season, having spent the second half of last term in more of a wide role to accommodate the prolific Papiss Cisse.

And Pardew has assured the 27-year-old that he should have the opportunity to play through the middle on a regular basis.
    "I've not seen any sign from Demba since he came back that suggests he wants to find another club. I don't sense that at all," said Pardew in the Daily Mirror.
    "I genuinely don't see a situation where he wants to move on. He has not stressed to me he wants to move to pastures new.
    "He has said to me he wants some reassurance from me. He wants a more striking role this season and I think he will."

As well as trying to keep hold of all his key players this summer, Pardew is keen to strengthen his squad before the start of the new season.
    Blackburn winger Hoilett has been linked with a host of clubs following their relegation from the Premier League, and Pardew admits he is monitoring the player's situation with interest.
    "Wherever he ends up, we're keeping a close eye on that because he's a good player," added Pardew.

Uploads

Laudrup rejects Allen talk

Swansea manager determined to keep all his top players
    Last Updated: July 12, 2012 9:46am

Joe Allen: Linked with a move away from Swansea but Michael Laudrup is confident he will stay

Michael Laudrup has made it clear that he would not welcome interest in any of Swansea's best players and he is determined to keep Joe Allen.
    Midfielder Allen has been linked with a move to Liverpool even though Brendan Rodgers has agreed not to raid his former club.
    And Laudrup has now cooled speculation suggesting the Wales international could be on his way out the Liberty Stadium exit door, insisting that he remains very much a key figure in the club's plans for the future.
    "I want Joe to stay here because he is very important for the team. As far as I know, we have heard nothing from Liverpool," said the new Swans boss.
    "If it is more than just rumours then I'm sure the chairman will talk to me about it."
    Part of the game

Laudrup accepts that such transfer talk is an inevitable consequence when players catch the eye, but he hopes to be able to keep his squad intact.
    "It is normal to have interest when people are doing well," he explained.
    "Swansea did well in their first season in the Premier League and some of the players were not well known at the highest level before.
    "Of course we want to keep our most important players and I would not welcome any interest in our best players. But it is part of the game."

Uploads

Forest sack Steve Cotterill
    Last Updated: July 12 2012, 10:45 BST

Steve Cotterill has left his post as Nottingham Forest manager with immediate effect, the npower Championship club have confirmed.

Cotterill: Leaves City Ground
    Cotterill took the Forest job last October and guided the club to Championship survival.
    A club statement issued on Thursday morning read: "Nottingham Forest can confirm that manager Steve Cotterill has departed the club with immediate effect.
    "Mr Cotterill met with the club's new owners, the Al-Hasawi family, yesterday and after long deliberations they have decided to make a new appointment in a bid to deliver their long-term vision.

"The club would like to acknowledge their gratitude to Mr Cotterill for guiding it through an extremely difficult and traumatic period and for retaining the side's Championship status last season.
    "The club will be making no further comment at this time."

Uploads

Fergie eyes more signings

United heading back into market after landing Kagawa and Powell
    Last Updated: July 12, 2012 2:26pm

Sir Alex Ferguson: Delighted with his business so far but is not yet finished for the summer

Sir Alex Ferguson is happy with the transfer business he has done so far this summer but admits he could bring in at least one more new player before the transfer window closes.
    Speaking at a press conference to officially present new recruits Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powell, Ferguson admitted that it was always harder to make signings when there was a major tournament taking place.

But he is now looking to strengthen his squad ahead of the new Premier League campaign, when United face the challenge of trying to regain the title they lost to neighbours Manchester City.
    "We could possibly bring one, maybe two, more in," said Ferguson.
    Delay

"When there's a major international tournament on, there's a delay in the transfer market. But now the European Championships are over, we're trying to bring someone in."
    Ferguson is delighted to have snapped up Powell from Crewe and Kagawa from Borussia Dortmund, and hopes they will make an impact for the club.
    He said: "We've always done well in terms of getting players at the end of season, instead of waiting all summer.
    "In Kagawa's case, there was a fair bit of negotiating and that kept going for weeks. As for Powell, we knew Dario Gradi [Crewe Alexandra director of football] would help us do the deal quickly."
    Make the difference

Discussing Powell's best position, Ferguson added: "I asked Dario if Nick could be a central midfielder. Dario thinks that's his position and Nick does too so we're all in accord. We hope he'll be a central midfield player and that's where we'll develop him."
    Ferguson is excited about the sort of impression Kagawa could make in his debut season, having helped Dortmund win the Double in Germany last term.
    "He'll play further forward [than Powell]. We shouldn't be looking at one player changing the way we play but he could make a difference," said Ferguson.
    "He can give us that extra in the final third of the field. If his goalscoring record continues he could be a very good player for us."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast