Alain de Pouzilhac pushed from AEF

Pascale Paoli-Lebailly | 13-07-2012

The race for taking up the lead of French Audiovisuel Extérieur de la France (AEF) has started after CEO Alain de Pouzilhac resigned on Thursday from his post.

The boss of the holding controlling TV stations France 24, RFI, Monte Carlo Doualiya and part of TV5Monde has been pushed to exit by the new French government which had expressed its will to install a new presidency.

“I take account of the fact French State, our shareholder, want a new presidency for AEF. I then consider my mission is over,” de Pouzilhac wrote to AEF’s teams.

Called in 2008 by former president Sarkozy to pilot the connection between France 24 and RFI into AEF holding, Alain de Pouzilhac also aimed at merging both editorial teams, in order to be able to compete on equal terms with international groups such as BBC. But this option is being fought by the French new government thus following the conclusions of a report which was submitted by former RFI and Radio France President Jean-Paul Cluzel a few days ago.

French government also plans France Télévisions to take over the 49% stake AEF owns into French-speaking international channel TV5Monde.