Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 15-07-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 15-07-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 15-07-2012

O'Neill steps up player search

Black Cats boss fears his targets could be lured by his rivals

Martin O'Neill: Sunderland manager hopes to lure new signings to his club

Martin O'Neill has promised to step up his search for new recruits ahead of Sunderland's start to the season.
    The Black Cats have so far only managed to sign Carlos Cuellar on a free transfer and will head out on their pre-season tour to South Korea on Monday with just a solitary new face.

However, O'Neill admits to having a few irons in the fire which he hopes will come to fruition in the coming weeks.
    "I have made one or two enquiries, but I have not progressed anything greatly at this moment," he told the Sunderland Echo."
    Progressed

"That's the best way of saying it. It's early. We've just been back a day or two and I've got a couple of things floating around in my mind.
    "I haven't done anything definite. I've made the enquiries and said to people, keep us informed. But now I will start to develop things a bit more.
    "I'm hoping the players that I'm interested in will be attracting the interest of other teams as well. If there's nobody interested in them, then you worry!
    "There's players who I would certainly be prioritising and those are the ones I would genuinely like to get, if at all possible. But I haven't narrowed it down to an extent when I'm not thinking of other options."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 15-07-2012

Cacau open to offers

Striker needs games if he is to make World Cup squad

Cacau: Desperate to figure at the 2014 World Cup

Stuttgart forward Cacau admits he is willing to listen to offers from other clubs as he attempts to resurrect his career ahead of the 2014 World Cup.
    The Brazil-born striker is desperate to figure at a major international tournament being staged in the land of his birth.
    He is, however, struggling for game time at club level, denying him the opportunity to impress Germany coach Joachim Low.

Cacau was included in Germany's initial squad for Euro 2012, but made only fleeting appearances for Stuttgart last season.
    He was eventually left out of Low's 23-man party and believes he needs to move on if he is to avoid suffering similar disappointment in the future.
    "Not playing so often for Stuttgart cost me my place at the Euros," Cacau told BILD.
    Dream

"I have been thinking a lot about what has not been working over the past 18 months and the main reason is that I have not been allowed to play in my favourite position.
    "I cannot show my full strength as the lone striker. If I do continue playing here, then I must play in my position.
    "The coach explained that Tamas (Hajnal) is ahead of me and he cannot promise to me at the moment that I will have a regular place.
    "But if I carry on getting so few appearances, then I can forget about my dream of playing at the World Cup in Brazil.
    "I will listen to offers and if everything is right, then I can imagine leaving - I want to play."

Uploads

Yobo wants future resolved

Nigeria international wants a swift conclusion to transfer saga

Joseph Yobo: Everton defender wants a permanent move away from club

Everton defender Joseph Yobo has expressed his sadness at failing to secure a permanent transfer to Fenerbahce.
    The 31-year-old has spent the last two seasons on-loan with the Turkish giants, who are now at loggerheads with his parent club over his fee.
    Fenerbahce have offered 2.5 million euros (2m) for his services, while the Toffees believe he is worth 3.5 million (2.8m).
    Situation

Yobo, a Nigeria international, is ready to return Istanbul for pre-season training but is desperate for his future to be resolved quickly.
    "Preparations began for the new season, but my condition is still not clear," he told the Liverpool Echo.
    "The club's (Fenerbahce's) silence makes me sad. This situation cannot continue like this."

Uploads

Fulop goes Greek

Hungarian keeper joins Astera Tripolos

Marton Fulop: Has brought to an end an eight-year spell in England

Former West Brom goalkeeper Marton Fulop has brought to an end his time in England and signed for Greek outfit Astera Tripolis.
    Astera announced the deal on their official website.

The Hungary international, who saw his contract at The Hawthorns expire at the end of last season, has penned a two-year deal.
    Fulop has spent the last eight years in England, having joined Tottenham from MTK in 2004.
    He went on to take in spells at Chesterfield, Coventry, Sunderland, Leicester, Stoke, Manchester City, Ipswich and West Brom.
    Sound

"I'm very happy to sign for a well-organised club which has a sound economic background," said Fulop.
    "Everything is good here and the club are involved in the Europa League.
    "I'm a football maniac and consider myself a good goalkeeper and I want to show that to the fans.
    "I would like to invite them to our stadium and support us with the highest possible attendance."

Uploads

Buzsaky set to sign for new club

Hungary international attracting interest from English clubs

Akos Buzsaky: Midfielder rejected Queens Park Rangers' offer of a new one-year deal

Akos Buzsaky expects to announce he will sign for a new club next week following his release from Queens Park Rangers.
    The Hoops recently revealed they would let the 30-year-old go after he declined a one-year contract extension at Loftus Road.
    Buzsaky was keen to get a longer deal from the Premier League side and is currently back in his native Hungary considering his options.
    West Ham, Cardiff and Blackpool are all reportedly stalking the talented playmaker, who is confident of having his future resolved in the next seven days.
    Decision

"Queens Park's announcement wasn't unexpected for me as it was a result of my own decision," he told Hungarian daily Nemezeti Sport.
    "I haven't accepted the club's one-year extension and I haven't talked (about it) to manager Mark Hughes.
    "At the moment I'm back in Hungary and I will be back in England soon. It is possible that by next week I will have a new club."

Uploads

Skacel rules out Slavia return

Former Czech international ready for new challenges

Rudi Skacel: Hearts scoring sensation looking for a new challenge

Rudi Skacel has ruled out a return to his former club Slavia Prague after his contract with Scottish Premier League outfit Hearts expired.
    The 32-year-old attacker showed he has lost none of his attacking instinct last season as he notched 18 goals for the Edinburgh outfit.
    But a return Slavia holds little allure for the former Czech international as they finished 12th last season and are no longer the force they once were in their domestic competition.
    "I have not spoken to anyone from the Czech Republic, which includes people at Slavia," he told isport.blesk.cz.
    Abroad

"I am not closing any doors but I had a good season and I am healthy, so I would like to stay abroad."
    Skacel is desperate for his career not to peter out and will only sign for a club that matches his own ambitions.
    "I scored 18 goals last season, so hopefully I will get an interesting offer," he added.
    "I would like to play for a team that wants to challenge for the top places. It does not matter which country it is."

Uploads

The best of the deals
    Last Updated: July 15 2012, 8:38 BST

The summer transfer window has already seen plenty of business done and our Nick Hext has selected a side from the best of the moves so far in the top four divisions of English football.

The three players to make the side from the Premier League.

Our first XI is made up of three players from the Premier League, four from the Championship, one from League One and three from League Two so the team represents the players most likely to make a big difference at their respective levels.

• Profiles

Goalkeeper - Paddy Kenny (QPR to Leeds, undisclosed)
    "I think he's the most important signing I'll make while I'm at Leeds United. He's one of the best in the country, not just the Championship." There is no bigger fan of Paddy Kenny than Neil Warnock so it won't be too big a surprise to see those quotes from the Leeds boss on his new goalkeeper. The 34-year-old already has two promotions to the Premier League under his belt from his spells at Sheffield United and QPR so it's clear that a hat-trick is the target during his Elland Road stint. Rob Green takes over as the number one at Loftus Road but Leeds fans will just be happy that move has allowed Warnock to be reunited with his favourite custodian.
    Right-back - Curtis Osano (Luton to AFC Wimbledon, free)
    Osano became one of the Conference's top defenders during his time with Rushden and Diamonds and Luton after leaving Reading in 2008. Now is the time for the 25-year-old to make the step back up to the Football League and he should be able to do just that with ease. The right-back only made the switch to Luton just before the start of last season so a settled summer after joining the Dons at the end of May is a big boost. Kingsmeadow chief Terry Brown expects progress from his new recruit and so do we.
    Left-back - Scott Laird (Stevenage to Preston, free)
    The left-back was another man to sort out his future before the end of May as he joined Graham Westley at Preston. Laird enjoyed phenomenal success while playing under Westley for Stevenage as back-to-back promotions from the Conference and League Two were secured. The 24-year-old continued to impress at Broadhall Way following Gary Smith's arrival as boss and nine goals last term show it isn't just at the back where he will prove an asset. Laird had been heavily linked with a move to the Championship at the start of the summer so getting him to stay in League One is a major feather in PNE's cap.
    Centre-back - Jan Vertonghen (Ajax to Tottenham, undisclosed)
    New manager Andre Villas-Boas has already seen Vertonghen and Gylfi Sigurdsson added to his squad since taking over at Tottenham. We reckon it's the 10million defender who will prove to be the most astute signing after impressing during his time at Ajax. The centre-back was a key part of the Dutch giants' Eredivisie title winning squad last season and his stock is sure to rise further during his time in the Premier League. He now joins Thomas Vermaelen and Vincent Kompany, two of his team-mates in Belgium's defence, in England and is more than capable of making just as big an impact.
    Centre-back - Matt Mills (Leicester to Bolton, undisclosed)
    It's no shock that Mills says he has a point to prove after leaving Leicester for Bolton. The centre-half joined the Foxes from Reading last summer for 4.5million and was made captain by Sven-Goran Eriksson. The former England boss quickly departed, however, and new manager Nigel Pearson didn't have much time for Mills with the 25-year-old not playing a first-team game since February 14. But there is a reason the former Manchester City youngster cost so much money this time last year and Owen Coyle is well aware of his quality. The Trotters will have to adjust to the Championship but some good business before the season starts has put them in good stead.
    Right-midfield - Darren Ambrose (Crystal Palace to Birmingham, undisclosed)
    A fee of around 250,000 looks like cracking value in this deal for Birmingham. Ambrose has clocked up spells with Ipswich, Newcastle, Charlton and Palace during his career and is stuffed full of Championship experience. Most people will remember his goal-of-the-season contender against Manchester United last term and more of the same will have Blues fans salivating in the upcoming campaign. Lee Clark has lots of work to do after taking the top job at St Andrew's but signings like this send out a major statement of intent.
    Left-midfield - Park Ji-Sung (Manchester United to QPR, undisclosed)
    Park won four Premier League titles, three League Cups and the Champions League during his time at Manchester United so it's fair to see he brings experience of success to QPR. Other offers from England, Europe and the Far East were rejected in order to make the switch to Loftus Road and the fee of around 2million looks like a bargain. Mark Hughes is full of praise for the man he says "ticks every box" and is happy to add to the plaudits by saying: "What he brings to the team is technical ability, a huge work ethic and a winning mentality."
    Central-midfield - Steven Davis (Rangers to Southampton, free)
    This looks like the deal of the summer so far with Southampton moving to sign Davis after the chaos at Rangers. The midfielder was captain of the Scottish outfit and already has plenty of experience south of the border after spells with Aston Villa and Fulham. The Saints had to beat off plenty of competition from other clubs to land the Northern Ireland international and boss Nigel Adkins has no doubt about the quality he has acquired. "Steven's an experienced player - a very talented football player who has played international football, captained his country, captained Rangers, and played in the Premier League, so he's at a good age and comes with a wealth of experience as well."
    Central-midfield - Keith Andrews (West Brom to Bolton, free)
    Andrews is another player who was much in demand this summer. Bolton won the race to seal the midfielder's signature after he left West Brom and he will prove a valuable asset in their bid to return to the top-flight. The 31-year-old impressed during his half-season spell at The Hawthorns but now finds himself playing for the 10th club of his career. His loan spell at Ipswich during the start of last term was a big success so he has already more than proved his ability to shine in the Championship.
    Striker - Jon Parkin (Cardiff to Fleetwood, free)
    Both the strikers in this side are selected from League Two with the arrival of Parkin a major move for newly-promoted Fleetwood. The Cod Army have been very active this summer with Damien Johnson and Steven Gillespie also notable additions. Parkin is the most eye-catching signing, however, with his presence sure to cause major concerns for defences in the fourth tier. We go to manager Micky Mellon to sum up his new recruit best. "He will allow us to score different types of goals. He is strong in the air allied to great ability on floor. He will be a massive fans' favourite and will be a big presence on and off the pitch."
    Striker - Marc Richards (Port Vale to Chesterfield, free)
    Richards promises to deliver in League Two and arrives at Chesterfield on a free after 67 goals in 181 league games during his time at Port Vale. The Spireites drop back down after just one season in League One but they were champions last time they played at this level so the bar is set high. There was massive interest in securing the former Barnsley forward but the Derbyshire club moved quickly and can expect to reap the rewards. Expect him to be right up amongst the top-scorers once again.
    Subs
    Ben Foster (Birmingham to West Brom, undisclosed)
    Jason Shackell (Derby to Burnley, undisclosed)
    James Meredith (York to Bradford, free)
    Mohamed Diame (Wigan to West Ham, free)
    Michael West (Ebbsfleet to Crewe, undisclosed)
    Steve Howard (Leicester to Hartlepool, free)
    Steven Naismith (Rangers to Everton, free)

Uploads

Giggs prepares for coaching career
    Last Updated: July 15 2012, 7:16 BST

Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs is pondering a career in management when he hangs up his boots.

Ryan Giggs: Captain of the Great Britain Olympic team
    The 38-year-old is captaining the Great Britain Olympic team and is taking the opportunity to learn as much as possible from Stuart Pearce and his coaching staff.
    Giggs told the Daily Mirror: "Coaching is something I'm looking at more and more.
    "In the middle of last season, I completed my UEFA A Licence, which was good. It's a different side of things, completely different to being a player.
    "I want to gather as much knowledge as I can and prepare myself as best as I can, if I do want to go into management or coaching.
    "The Olympics is a great platform, it's different being involved in tournament football to league football.
    "I ask as many questions as I can at United and I've been the same here with Great Britain."

Uploads

Aims set for St George's Park
    Last Updated: July 15 2012, 7:55 BST

England should no longer have to go looking for foreign managers in the future if St George's Park does its job, according to the national football centre's chairman David Sheepshanks.

David Sheepshanks: The national football centre's chairman
    However, he cautioned that it could be another decade before the effects of the state-of-the-art institution start to deliver success on the pitch.
    The 100-million project in Burton will take its first influx of England players next month when the under-17s get first use, followed by the under-21s in September and then Roy Hodgson's senior side in October ahead of their World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland.
    But it is the focus on teaching, and the aim of more than doubling the number of qualified coaches to 250,000 by 2018, which Sheepshanks hopes will drive a production line for the next generation of managers.

"We have identified a number of desired outcomes that come from St George's Park," said Sheepshanks.
    "They include increasing the number of qualified coaches, increasing the standard of coaching and also includes having more home-grown managers managing our Premier League teams and available to manage our international teams
    "If we get this right by definition we (England) should never need to appoint overseas and that will be a success measure going forward.
    "Premier League teams are appointing foreign coaches because in their belief that is where they find the best talent.
    "I don't necessarily concur with that - we have some very talented coaches in this country but we don't have enough.
    "We need to develop more and more here so that they actually don't go looking, in 10 year's time, overseas all the time.

"We will all be judged by best in class so if we don't deliver best in class coaches in England then people will continue going overseas."
    England's Under-19s have impressed at the European Championship, but Sheepshanks sounded a note of caution to anyone expecting immediate success at international level.
    He insisted the money invested in St George's Park was part of a long-term commitment to improving standards and not a quick fix which would help Roy Hodgson's side at the 2014 World Cup.
    "It is a calculated risk. It was a bold decision when money was tight but I think it will pay off handsomely," he added.
    "Hopefully there will be a short-term 'bounce' from the fact England will have its own training centre but we shouldn't be under any illusions that this is a long-term plan.

"We are looking at the 2020s, anything that happens sooner is a bonus."
    The FA have scoured the globe looking at the best facilities from a number of sports and not just football and have used that to create an impressive facility.
    But Sheepshanks said the learning process would not stop they could not afford to stand still and admire their hard work.
    "At the end of the day it is one thing for people to show you but another for us to replicate and emulate," he said.
    "What you see is a milestone but unfinished business. We have to go on demonstrating we do walk our talk.
    "We are not saying to the world 'Look at us'. We have just got on with it and over the last four years built St George's Park.
    "We have a way to go with an awful lot of hard work and dedication if we are going to achieve the success we all crave.
    "I come from the school that says you can never learn enough and we have lots to learn.

"If we adopt the philosophy of insatiable learning and continual improvement in everything we do here and St George's Park encourages everyone who comes here to be better tomorrow than they are today that is investing in their career.
    "That will be a massive culture change for the game in this country and one we can sometimes learn from in other sports if you look at English cricket today.
    "When they get to the top of the world they know they have to go on working. I am sure Barcelona are the same and what (Vincente) Del Bosque has achieved with Spain is the same."

Uploads

Villas-Boas impressed with Levy
    Last Updated: July 15 2012, 7:41 BST

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas is confident his new project can succeed at White Hart Lane with the full backing of chairman Daniel Levy.

Andre Villas-Boas: New Tottenham manager
    The 34-year-old Portuguese coach came to Stamford Bridge last summer full of ambitions to take the Blues forwards.
    However, he was sacked by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich just eight months into the job, with his team outside the top four of the Barclays Premier League.

Under the guidance of then interim coach Roberto di Matteo, Chelsea went on to win both the FA Cup and Champions League.
    Villas-Boas, however, has no doubts his fresh relationship with Levy will allow their plans to take Tottenham forwards flourish.
    "I met the chairman, and saw the way he goes about his business at the club. He knows what he is doing, approaching the market in a different way, is a person of great football understanding and he had the effect of giving me the assurances I wanted in terms of building something," said Villas-Boas, who has agreed a three-year deal at White Hart Lane to replace Harry Redknapp.

"Tottenham are linked with great football in the past. It is something they have always valued highly. There is a wonderful history of attractive football, and Bill Nicholson left these messages of football well played and doing things in style, which is what I want to achieve as well."
    Villas-Boas added: "With an owner that is involved on a daily basis at the football club, with his knowledge, that is the main difference.
    "The structures that surround Tottenham are extremely good. There are competent people in and around the football club. The club is driven towards success, and everybody knows they must play a part in achieving that success.

"They are not looking for certain scapegoats, and when so many people are striving forward, it makes your job easier."
    The manner of Villas-Boas' dismissal at Stamford Bridge in March continues to sit uneasy with the former Porto boss.
    "The thing is that what we were doing (at Chelsea) in terms of the project, words did not meet the actions, so I think I was cut short," he said.
    "All of us are emotional, and we all respond in a different way to sentiments of ambition and revenge, but it would be a wrong step if I were to take it that way.

"This club is much more important than me and what I have to do is try to take them to success and not make it a personal issue."
    Villas-Boas is determined to make a success in the English game the second time around.
    "I arrive here much more prepared and a much better manager than I was before and it is these experiences that I will use to take it forward," he said.
    "Here, there is more of a sense of belonging to a club. This is a club full of tradition, which I am still learning about and have to admire.
    "Chelsea has its own tradition that has changed dramatically since it was bought in 2003, and there is a sense of belonging here at Spurs which I want to use in a different way.
    "I am the one who has arrived, the new one, and I have to get into the flow of the club's expectations for the future and take it in the right direction.

"What we want for Tottenham is a message of what is around the club.
    "We have a new training ground and will have a new stadium, and what I want for the team is to close the gap on winning something."
    While Croatia playmaker Luka Modric is likely to leave when Spurs receive the right offer, Villas-Boas maintains Holland midfielder Rafael van der Vaart is an integral part of his plans.

"With Van der Vaart, at the moment I am absolutely counting on him," he said.
    "It is a totally different situation from Luka, who has been chased by different clubs in the past two seasons and is continuing to drag interest.
    "We have to make sure the club's interests are met, and it is up to the chairman to decide that."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast