Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 17-07-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 17-07-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 17-07-2012

Shearer backs Carroll return
    Last Updated: July 17 2012, 7:46 BST

Former Newcastle captain Alan Shearer believes returning to Tyneside would be a "great move" for Liverpool striker Andy Carroll.

Andy Carroll: Backed for Newcastle return
    Press Association Sport understands the Reds flatly turned down the Magpies' bid to re-sign the 23-year-old international on a season-long loan over the weekend, but have made it known they would be willing to listen to offers for a permanent transfer for a player who cost them £35million 18 months ago.

9. Andy Carroll

Appearances 1 (2)
    Goals 1
    Assists 0
    Yellows 0
    Reds 0
    *Current Season

Shearer has followed the news and reckons heading back to the north-east could be the best option for Carroll.
    The 41-year-old said in The Sun: "Andy is an England centre-forward and I wouldn't say he has been a flop at Liverpool by any means.
    "Yes, it took him a bit of time to settle there but he finished the season strongly and considering he only started one game at the Euros, I thought he did well.

"Make no mistake, he is a very good footballer. I can fully understand why Newcastle are in for him and I think it would be a great move.
    "When he was there before he benefited from the fact that the team was always working to get him the ball - and he thrived on that. That hasn't always been the case at Liverpool and perhaps at times he suffered."

He added: "There is an old saying that you should never go back but, in Andy's case, I don't think it would be a mistake at all.
    "He was hero-worshipped by the crowd first time around and they would warm to him again. Andy loved playing there and whatever the fans felt about him leaving to join Liverpool, I'm sure he would win them over quickly."
    Liverpool jetted off on their North American pre-season tour yesterday - Carroll is due to join them early next week after an extended holiday.

Sources close to the player have indicated that he remains keen to prove himself at Anfield despite new manager Brendan Rodgers' misgivings, although he would entertain the right loan move.
    Newcastle would fit the bill - Gateshead-born Carroll made his name at St James' Park after emerging from the ranks to establish himself as a genuine first-teamer under former boss Chris Hughton, and is understood to prefer a return rather than a mooted move to West Ham or AC Milan.

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 17-07-2012

Vlaar wants 'dream' Villa move
    Last Updated: July 17 2012, 8:27 BST

Ron Vlaar: Aston Villa transfer target
    Ron Vlaar has confirmed he wants to seal a move to Aston Villa after being impressed with manager Paul Lambert.
    The 27-year-old defender is hoping he can make the switch Villa this summer after talks with the club, although he would be sad to depart Feyenoord.

"I cannot say too much," Vlaar told De Telegraaf.
    "On Sunday I was in Birmingham and I spoke with coach Paul Lambert and I got a very positive impression. Aston Villa just want me.
    "I have talked to our technical director Martin van Geel and I told him I liked the idea of moving to them.
    "A move to Aston Villa would be a dream come true, I look forward to playing in the Premier League, but I will miss Feyenoord.
    "I feel at home in De Kuip, the club has had a lot of ups and downs, but there is still a warm feeling here.

"The stadium, the fans, my team-mates and staff. If the deal goes through, I miss them."
    Vlaar admitted his trip to Birmingham was meant to be a secret, adding: "It was initially only to get acquainted, but this sort of thing happens - in this fast Twitter world you cannot keep anything secret."

Uploads

Guzan signs three-year Villa deal

Goalkeeper Brad Guzan has re-signed for Aston Villa after agreeing a new three-year contract.

Brad Guzan: New three-year deal at Villa
    The 27-year-old had parted company with the club at the end of last season after failing to agree a new deal.
    But he will join up with his Villa Park team-mates on their three-match tour of the United States after being named in manager Paul Lambert's 25-man squad.

Guzan joined Villa from Chivas in 2008 and has been second choice for the majority of his time at Villa Park.

But he impressed while deputising for Shay Given when the Republic of Ireland international was injured last season, and Lambert expects the American to put pressure on Villa's number one.
    "I've watched Brad and some of his games when he was in the team last year and he was excellent," Lambert told the club's official website.
    "I know he's always had that stigma of being the number two behind some really good goalkeepers here.

"But when you come back at the start of the season nobody knows what's going to happen and it depends on whoever does well.
    "Brad played very well the time he was in and maybe he found himself a bit unlucky to be back out.
    "The club needs two or three good goalkeepers, so when Shay comes back from the Euros it will be a big bonus and we will see what happens."

Uploads

Wigan sign Fraser Fyvie

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has made his first signing of the summer with the acquisition of Aberdeen midfielder Fraser Fyvie for an undisclosed fee.

Fyvie: Heading for Wigan
    The highly-rated 19-year-old, who made his Dons debut at the age of 16, joins on a three-year deal.
    Martinez told Wigan's official website: "I'm excited because we are signing such a strong character and a great personality at just 19 years of age.
    "He's got a tremendous future in his hands and we're all delighted that he's making such a big step forward in his career here at Wigan Athletic."

Fyvie is the youngest player to play for Aberdeen, as well as being the Pittodrie club's youngest goalscorer.
    A serious knee injury saw him miss the majority of the 2010-11 campaign but he was back to his best last term.
    After he refused a new deal towards the end of last season, Dons boss Craig Brown has opted to cash in on Fyvie before the youngster's contract expires halfway through the upcoming campaign.
    Martinez has not been afraid to raid the Scottish Premier League for upcoming talents, having previously signed James McCarthy and James McArthur from Hamilton in 2010.

And he is confident Scotland Under-19 cap Fyvie will flourish after opting to move to DW Stadium despite reported interest from Fulham.
    Martinez said: "He's a bright young man and will have a good environment here in which to develop, with players that have been through similar experiences and of course our fans who I know will make him feel very welcome and allow him to develop over the coming months.
    "Technically he's very gifted, enjoys playing in the midfield where he can cover large areas, he's very powerful off the ball and in possession is someone who can read the tempo of the game very well.
    "Also you have to remember that for such a young player he's played a lot of games in the SPL at a high standard which shows his maturity.
    "Together with the rest of the squad and, of course, the other Scottish boys in the squad he'll settle in quickly I'm sure, but he's so eager to get going and take advantage of the good experience within the dressing room."

Fyvie is the youngest player to play for Aberdeen, as well as being the Pittodrie club's youngest goalscorer.
    A serious knee injury saw him miss the majority of the 2010-11 campaign but he was back to his best last term.
    After he refused a new deal towards the end of last season, Dons boss Craig Brown has opted to cash in on Fyvie before the youngster's contract expires halfway through the upcoming campaign.
    Martinez has not been afraid to raid the Scottish Premier League for upcoming talents, having previously signed James McCarthy and James McArthur from Hamilton in 2010.

And he is confident Scotland Under-19 cap Fyvie will flourish after opting to move to DW Stadium despite reported interest from Fulham.
    Martinez said: "He's a bright young man and will have a good environment here in which to develop, with players that have been through similar experiences and of course our fans who I know will make him feel very welcome and allow him to develop over the coming months.
    "Technically he's very gifted, enjoys playing in the midfield where he can cover large areas, he's very powerful off the ball and in possession is someone who can read the tempo of the game very well.

"Also you have to remember that for such a young player he's played a lot of games in the SPL at a high standard which shows his maturity.
    "Together with the rest of the squad and, of course, the other Scottish boys in the squad he'll settle in quickly I'm sure, but he's so eager to get going and take advantage of the good experience within the dressing room."

Uploads

Gers may face embargo

Charles Green has revealed he may be forced to accept the transfer ban handed to Rangers by the Scottish Football Association in order to secure the Ibrox club's membership of the governing body.

Charles Green: Working on issues
    The Scottish Premier League and the SFA vowed to back the Scottish Football League's decision to put the Ibrox club in the Irn-Bru Third Division.
    Rangers are due to be re-launched in the Ramsden's Cup first round against Brechin at Glebe Park on July 28 but Green will need to come to an agreement with the SFA beforehand and talks will continue on Tuesday.
    Rangers successfully overturned the 12-month transfer embargo in the Court of Session before Green's Sevco Scotland bought their assets when they were consigned to liquidation.

But the alternative punishment, sparked by their failure to pay millions of pounds of tax last season, could be suspension or termination of membership if the case reverts to an appeals panel.
    SFA chief executive Stewart Regan wanted to put the new Rangers in the First Division with the transfer ban, a £160,000 fine and a stipulation to pay the original Rangers' transfer debts of around £3million.
    Regan has predicted "social unrest" if there is no football played at Ibrox next season but Green hinted he might have to accept the sanctions to make that possible.

Ibrox manager Ally McCoist has lost a full team of players who refused to transfer to the new company and Green revealed that Dorin Goian, Carlos Bocanegra and Maurice Edu would follow them.
    Green, who represented Rangers at the SPL annual general meeting along with McCoist, told Sky Sports News: "I gave a verbal agreement to transfer the oldco share across to Dundee and we've now got verbal agreements with both the football league to admit us into Division Three and on issues outstanding with the SPL.
    "The real key now for Rangers fans are the issues outstanding with the SFA - most of the agenda items that have been talked about for weeks and weeks: the transfer embargo, fines that were put out there, and payments to football clubs that had happened for previous transfers.

"It is now for newco to take on board the sins of oldco to clear a way forward. Many fans have spoken to me and said how unfair it is.
    "At one meeting today it was explained that being demoted to the Third Division is not a punishment. I'm not very bright but I struggle with that one, to see that leaving the SPL and ending up in the Third Division is anything but a punishment.
    "The difficulty we have is we've been working for many, many weeks now on these issues and there is a point where unless I as CEO accept sanctions then we won't be granted permission to join the SFA.
    "But it's a balance between what's fair and what's required. The problems this club created - and no-one is walking away from that - by previous owners have now been laid bare, sanctions been taken, the manager and all board members and employees have had to deal with that.

"I addressed the staff today because there will be job losses and the implications are huge. We need to draw this matter to an end now. We need the SFA to agree membership for us now so we can all rebuild and get on with our lives."
    The SFA said in a statement: "The new season begins in less than two weeks and it is incumbent on the Scottish FA to conclude all outstanding issues relating to Rangers FC.
    "To that end, we aim to meet with the club this week with the intention of achieving a satisfactory outcome for all parties so that we can focus on football in time for the new campaign."

The new Rangers are also due to play in the League Cup on August 4, with the draw taking place this week, before playing their first league game at Peterhead on August 11.
    "We are now accepted as a member of the football league but we are unable to even play a friendly and the first cup game is in less than two weeks," Green said.
    "We haven't got many players because some who have been tremendously loyal, Goian for example, they came back hoping that some sense might have prevailed.

"He was happy to commit to Rangers even if we were not in the top flight but clearly we can't expect an international player to be playing in Division Three, unfortunately.
    "We're going to lose some more now for different reasons than the others. But we can understand and we thank these players for their loyalty.
    "It does increase the pressure on Ally even further, we're asking him to manage a club where the SFA still want to put some transfer embargo on us and we haven't got any players at all."

Uploads

Stoke Cameron talks continuing

Stoke are continuing talks as they look to strike a deal for Houston Dynamo's United States international Geoff Cameron.

Geoff Cameron: Talks ongoing over his future
    Stoke have made a firm offer to sign the defender, but are yet to agree a fee.
    Major League Soccer own the rights to every player, so Stoke have to negotiate with the league rather than Houston themselves.
    Reports in America claim Stoke bid $1million (£650,000) but MLS want closer to $3million (£1.9million) for the 27-year-old.
    After talks in England last week, Cameroon returned to the States and even played in their 4-0 win over DC United at the weekend.
    "I think (Monday is) a key day in determining whether or not the transfer is going to happen or not," Dynamo president Chris Canetti said in the Houston Chronicle.

"We had a positive weekend where there were good discussions and both sides kind of understood what it's going to take to make a deal happen.
    "We will share proposals and see if we can get closer to a deal."
    Cameron was pleased Dynamo won what could be his last game for the franchise.
    "It was a great way to end it here, especially if it was my last game," Cameron said. "Can't thank the Dynamo fans enough. They were amazing and always are."

Uploads

Merci beaucoup

Uploads

Higuain wants Modric deal
    Last Updated: July 17 2012, 13:09 BST

Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain hopes any deal to bring Luka Modric to the Primera Division champions will be wrapped up quickly.

Luka Modric: Heavily linked with Real Madrid
    Tottenham midfielder Modric has been linked with the La Liga champions and big-spending Ligue 1 side Paris St Germain, as well as Chelsea and Manchester United.

14. Luka Modric

Appearances 3 (0)
    Goals 0
    Assists 0
    Yellows 1
    Reds 0
    *Current Season

But Real are believed to be Modric's first choice move away from White Hart Lane after he failed to force through a switch to Barclays Premier League rivals Chelsea last season.
    "I saw at Modric at Euro 2012 and also at Tottenham," Higuain told as.com.
    "He is a player who loves the club and us. I wish to close the deal as quickly as possible if it is for the good of the team."
    Real president Florentino Perez is looking to finalise the structure of the deal in the knowledge he could be forced to make a considerable offer after Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy rejected the £40m bid from the Chelsea last summer.

Higuain also played down rumours of his potential departure from the Santiago Bernabéu.
    He said: "I do not regret anything I've lived here. I could fulfil dreams and win titles, hopefully this year we will be the Champions."

Uploads

PSG continue Ibrahimovic bid
    Last Updated: July 17 2012, 13:42 BST

The agent of Zlatan Ibrahimovic says he is "focused on finalising" the striker's proposed move to Paris St Germain from AC Milan amid speculation the deal will finally be done soon.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Target of PSG's interest

11. Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Appearances 3 (0)
    Goals 2
    Assists 0
    Yellows 0
    Reds 0
    *Current Season

The two clubs have already agreed a fee for the Swedish ace but the 30-year-old remains in talks with PSG over personal terms.
    Reports in the French media suggest discussions with Ibrahimovic, formerly of Ajax, Juventus, Inter Milan and Barcelona, will be concluded on Tuesday ahead of the forward arriving in Paris for a medical the following day.
    PSG's sporting director Leonardo told L'Equipe: "Tuesday will be an important day."

The ambitious French outfit have already secured the services of Thiago Silva from AC Milan and are poised to make it a double swoop.
    Ibrahimovic's wages are thought to be a stumbling block in the deal but his agent, Mino Raiola, is hopeful of finding a solution that suits all parties.
    He told Football Italia: "The Ibrahimovic to PSG deal still isn't done, but we're focused on finalising it.
    "It is an important transfer and the details are important."

Ibrahimovic was Serie A's top scorer last season, netting 28 goals as the Rossoneri finished runners-up to Juventus.
    Raiola admits his potential move has come as a surprise and says the Swede has a solid relationship with Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri.
    "His relationship with the Milan coach was always very good," he added.
    "I do not think that anyone expected Ibra to leave after two years, but unfortunately the transfer market is like that.
    "The player's desire is always important; after all, his is the final signature. If Ibra leaves Milan then it means that he approved of the sale."

Uploads

Michael Owen 'closer' to new club
    Last Updated: July 17 2012, 13:33 BST

Michael Owen: Left Manchester United at the end of last season
    Michael Owen has revealed that he has attracted a "good deal of interest" as his search for a new club comes to an end.

Michael Owen

Appearances 0 (0)
    Goals 0
    Assists 0
    Yellows 0
    Reds 0
    *Current Season

The striker is a free agent this summer after being told by Manchester United at the end of last season that he would not be offered a new deal.
    He has made it clear that he has no intention of retiring but also does not want to want to drop down to the Championship, so he has been waiting for the right opportunity to present itself.
    And the 32-year-old, who has been linked with the likes of Stoke, is looking forward to the start of the new season.

"Getting closer to finding a new club," he said on Twitter.
    "Had a good deal of interest but just need to pick right! Can't wait to get going again."
    Owen spent three years at Old Trafford after starting his career with Liverpool and also played for Real Madrid and Newcastle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast