Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 24-07-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 24-07-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 24-07-2012

Agent claims Moura deal is off

Ribeiro says Manchester United won't make new bid
    Last Updated: July 24, 2012 8:56am

Lucas Moura: Wanted by Sir Alex Ferguson

Lucas Moura's agent Wagner Ribeiro says any move to Manchester United is off as they will not up their bid for the Brazilian ace.
    United have lodged an offer for the Sao Paulo midfielder, currently in England with Brazil's Olympic squad.

But with Sao Paulo wanting around 30million, it appears their asking price could be too high.
    Ribeiro, one of the leading agents in South America, does not think Moura will be moving anywhere this summer after United's bid was rejected.
    "They have reached their limit," Ribeiro told UOL.

"Lucas Moura won't leave. He is happy at Sao Paulo. We have to forget this subject. There is no possibility he leaves now.
    "Manchester United made an offer, which was rejected and they won't make another one as they have reached their limit."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 24-07-2012

Agbonlahor plays down exit talk

Striker happy at Villa
    Last Updated: July 24, 2012 8:38am

Gabriel Agbonlahor: Happy at Villa

Aston Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor has played down speculation that he is set to join former boss Martin O'Neill at Sunderland.
    The 25-year-old England striker is believed to be O'Neill's radar as he looks to bring in an experienced forward.

But with three-years left on his current deal at Villa Park, the Birmingham-born striker is more than happy with life in the Second City.
    Agbonlahor told The Sun: "Looking at it over the summer I'm just laughing at myself thinking 'where do they get these links from?'
    "I'm an Aston Villa player, it's my home club, I love the club.

"As long as I'm contracted to the club then I'll continue to play for them - until I get told otherwise.
    "When you've played with a manager as good as Martin O'Neill you are going to be linked with him. But, for me, it's just speculation.
    "Also when a new manager (Paul Lambert) comes in, people think straight away you won't be involved."

Uploads

QPR give Barton green light

Midfielder allowed to train with League Two outfit
    Last Updated: July 24, 2012 7:51am

Joey Barton: To train with Football League new boys

Queens Park Rangers have confirmed they have given Joey Barton permission to train with Football League new boys Fleetwood Town.
    Sky Sports revealed that Barton was set to train with Micky Mellon's outfit for the remainder of pre-season.
    Now QPR have released a statement confirming the situation, after Barton was left out of their squad to tour Asia.
    "Queens Park Rangers Football Club can confirm we have given Joey Barton permission to train with Fleetwood Town," said the Rangers statement.

"The First Team squad are currently on their way back from a hugely successful tour of Asia and are now looking forward with anticipation to the remainder of pre-season and the start of the 2012/13 Barclays Premier League campaign."
    Barton is suspended for the first 12 matches of the season after picking up two counts of violent conduct following his sending off at Manchester City on the final day of last season.

Uploads

Pienaar move closer after Cahill exit
    Last Updated: July 24 2012, 7:37 BST

Everton could be set to complete the permanent return of Steven Pienaar after agreeing for Tim Cahill to move to New York Red Bulls.

Cahill: Heading to New York
    Everton announced on Monday night that they had agreed a fee with Major League Soccer for the midfielder who joined them from Millwall in 2004, scoring 68 goals in 278 appearances.
    A statement on the club's official website said: "Everton have agreed with Major League Soccer (MLS) that Tim Cahill can be transferred to the New York Red Bulls.

"Tim, 32, will move to the Red Bulls for a nominal fee, subject to agreeing personal terms and passing a medical. He will travel to the US in the next few days."
    The move would come as something of a surprise although Cahill's departure could pave the way for Pienaar to re-sign for Everton, following a noteworthy loan spell from Tottenham last season.
    With attacking midfielder Steven Naismith also signing from Rangers this summer, Cahill may seek new pastures to guarantee himself first-team action.

He would join fellow Premier League players Thierry Henry and Teemu Tainio in New York, while former Barcelona defender Rafael Marquez also plies his trade at the Red Bull Arena.
    Cahill, who has scored 24 goals in 55 appearances for Australia, would also come up against former team-mate Landon Donovan, who plays for LA Galaxy but has had two loan spells with David Moyes' men.
    The 32-year-old would end his career at Goodison Park on a sour note after being sent off on the final day of last season against Newcastle following a clash with Toon midfielder Yohan Cabaye.

Although the Frenchman apologised for his comments on Newcastle's official website, Cahill was still handed a three-match ban after Everton's appeal to the Football Association was rejected.
    And while he accepted the suspension, he was left "disgusted" by Cabaye's comments, adding: "I don't wish to elaborate on the exact detail of what was said - but his words have no place either on or off the football pitch.
    "Cabaye has apologised via his club's website and as far as I am concerned the matter is now closed."

Uploads

Chamakh: Let me play
    Last Updated: July 24 2012, 8:39 BST

Marouane Chamakh admits Robin van Persie leaving Arsenal could benefit his Emirates career.

Chamakh: Few opportunities last season
    The Moroccan is the only recognised striker on the club's Far East tour, with wantaway Van Persie left in London and new signings Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud given further time to recover following Euro 2012.
    Chamakh has struggled to make an impact since arriving on a free transfer from Bordeaux in 2010 and has urged for more time on the pitch to prove his worth.

Asked if he would benefit if Van Persie leaves, Chamakh said: "Yes. If I am staying here with Arsenal I will do my best for the team and give the maximum.
    "Last season was difficult. We were playing with just one striker. There was not a lot I could do.
    "I was upset because I thought I could have played more. I hope this season I will play more than last.
    "I have not spoken to the manager but I will soon. Yes, I need to be more confident. But to be more confident I need to play more. I am determined to stay."

Uploads

Silva joins Barnsley
    Last Updated: July 24 2012, 8:50 BST

Barnsley have signed Liverpool winger Toni Silva on a two-year deal.

Toni Silva: Two-year Barnsley deal
    The Portuguese youth international becomes Keith Hill's fifth signing of the summer, and the Tykes manager said: "He's left-footed and likes playing on the right. He's quick with and without the ball. He's young and enthusiastic. There's a lot of development we've got to put into this player to make him into a 3million player and I believe we will be able to do that."
    The 18-year-old joined Liverpool from Portuguese giants Benfica as a youngster and spent time on loan at Northampton last season.

Uploads

Barca prepare new Puyol deal

He's a symbol and merits different treatment, says Zubizarreta
    Last Updated: July 24, 2012 11:11am

Carles Puyol: Looks set to be offered a contract extension at Barcelona

Carles Puyol looks set to be offered a new long-term contract at Barcelona at the age of 34.
    The Barca captain has been at the Nou Camp since he was a teenager and made his first-team debut for the club in October 1999.
    The defender has revealed he has no plans to retire and instead is hoping to keep going for as long as possible.

"I want to keep playing football until the age of 40," Puyol was quoted as saying in the Catalan press.
    That's an ambitious target if Puyol hopes to stay at a club that has won the UEFA Champions League in three of the last seven seasons.
    But Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta readily admits that different rules apply when it comes to the iconic Catalan figure.
    "The situation of Carles is special because it is not a simple deal," added Zubizarreta.

"For us he is a symbol in the club and merits different treatment.
    "Barcelona will not be hasty on this subject but we are totally certain that we want Puyol at our club forever."

Uploads

Jenas reluctant to drop down

Spurs midfielder has no desire to play in the Championship
    Last Updated: July 24, 2012 11:56am

Jermaine Jenas: Has been linked with a return to his roots at Nottingham Forest

Sky Sports understands that Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas, who has been linked with a return to Nottingham Forest, has no desire to drop down into the Championship.

Reports have suggested that Forest's new owners are eyeing an audacious move for Jenas as they look to bring a 'marquee signing' to the City Ground.
    Jenas is a product of the Reds' academy system and burst onto the scene as a talented teenager before being offloaded to Newcastle United in 2002.

The 29-year-old has spent the last 10 years turning out for the Magpies, Spurs, Aston Villa and England.
    He has, however, struggled with injury of late and dropped out of the international picture.
    It was suggested that he could be tempted back to his roots by the promise of regular football and a shot at promotion with Forest.
    The Reds may struggle to put a deal in place, though, with Jenas reluctant to step down a level after proving himself in the Premier League.

Uploads

Foxes complete Whitbread deal

Former Reds youngster signs two-year contract
    Last Updated: July 24, 2012 11:59am

Zak Whitbread: Has signed a two-year deal with Leicester after leaving Norwich at the end of last season

Leicester City have confirmed the signing of defender Zak Whitbread on a two-year deal.
    The 28-year-old was available on a free transfer after leaving Norwich at the end of last season following the expiration of his contract.
    The Texas-born defender began his career at Liverpool in 2003 before spending four years at Millwall prior to a move to Carrow Road in 2010.
    He was part of the Canaries side that won promotion to the Premier League in 2011 but struggled for first-team opportunities in the top flight last season.

He becomes Foxes boss Nigel Pearson's fifth signing of the summer, following Marko Futacs, Jamie Vardy, Matty James and Ritchie De Laet into the King Power Stadium.
    "Zak is a player of great quality that will add a huge amount of experience to the squad; I'm delighted we've been able to bring him here," Pearson told the club's official website.

"He will be a great character to have as part of the group and, having only won promotion from the Championship a little over a year ago with Norwich, he knows exactly what it takes to get out of this division.
    "We're really pleased with the business we have been able to do so far this summer, we have made some valuable additions to the squad and Zak certainly falls into that category."

Uploads

Kelly signs new Fulham deal

Ireland international delighted to extend stay with Cottagers
    Last Updated: July 24, 2012 5:12pm

Stephen Kelly: Fulham defender has established himself as first choice right-back for Martin Jol

Stephen Kelly has signed a two-year contract extension with Fulham after establishing himself under Martin Jol at Craven Cottage.

The full-back was a peripheral figure under Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes after moving to the West London club in 2009, but he was a regular selection for the Dutchman in his first season in charge.

The 28-year-old was keen to stay by the Thames, and after an extended break following his involvement with Republic of Ireland at Euro 2012, he has inked in the deal that sees him commit to Fulham until 2014.
    "I'm delighted that it's sorted now and I can hopefully continue on from last year," Kelly told the club's official website.
    Fantastic

"It was a really good end to the season with the way we finished off, the way we were playing and I just hope we can continue on with that again.
    "Last season was fantastic for me, playing pretty much every game from Christmas onwards and to cement myself as the number one right-back was great and hopefully I can continue on with that this season.
    "To sign another contract here is fantastic.
    "I'm delighted to be staying at the club and I just want to carry on with the progression I've made over the last year or so."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast