Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 28-07-2012

Uploads

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 28-07-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 28-07-2012

Wenger - No more RVP contact

Gunners boss growing tired of transfer discussions
    Last Updated: July 28, 2012 10:35am

Robin van Persie: Continues to be heavily linked with a move to Manchester

Arsene Wenger insists Robin van Persie is no closer to securing a move away from Arsenal, with Manchester United and Manchester City yet to get back in touch.

The Holland international striker's reluctance to sign an extension to his contract has fuelled speculation that he could soon be on his way out of the Emirates.

Italian giants Juventus were believed to be leading the chase for his signature, but their interest appears to have cooled.
    That leaves Premier League heavyweights United and City slugging it out for a man who netted 37 times in all competitions last season.
    An offer of around 20million is expected to force the Gunners' hand and see them part with a player who has just 12 months left to run on his current deal.
    Wenger is, however, refusing to give up hope of persuading Van Persie to stay.
    No offers

"We have no offers, so he is our player. That is it. We have not had any more contact from City or United about him at all."
    Arsene Wenger Quotes of the week
    Arsenal are continuing to work hard behind the scenes trying to put an agreement in place and their boss is reluctant to keep discussing the issue while there has been no movement.
    "At the moment I must say that the Van Persie case has not crossed too much my mind," said Wenger.

"We have no offers, so he is our player. That is it. We have not had any more contact from City or United about him at all.
    "I have talked about that, I am not talking about that anymore. Do you understand?
    "We must prepare for the season. It is about more than one player."

Uploads

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 28-07-2012

Modric valuation yet to be met

Spurs insist there have been no more bids for playmaker
    Last Updated: July 28, 2012 10:29am

Luka Modric: Will be allowed to leave if a suitable offer is tabled

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas claims no further bids have been lodged for Luka Modric, with the club holding out for their asking price.
    Real Madrid have been strongly linked with the Croatian playmaker, and he is understood to be keen on completing a switch to the Spanish capital.

Modric has not joined Spurs on their pre-season tour of the United States and is training back in London as his future remains up in the air.
    Tottenham will not stand in the way of a player that wants to move on, with it important that those on their books are fully committed to the cause.
    They are, however, prepared to stand firm on their valuation and will not part with Modric for less than they believe he is worth.
    Talent

As that figure is yet to be met, the highly-rated 26-year-old remains on the books at White Hart Lane.
    "There is no news at the moment," said Villas-Boas.
    "The player is training in London. There have been no further bids, no improved bids. The value hasn't been met for what we think is correct.
    "We have a big squad and we are fielded in most of the positions, so we just have to wait and see how that deal goes or doesn't go.
    "If the player eventually stays, he is a player of fantastic talent for us and will certainly add to our squad."

Uploads

Duo's delight at Robins deals

Anderson and Heaton had plenty of other interest

Paul Anderson: Former Nottingham Forest winger had other interest before joining Bristol City

Bristol City new boys Tom Heaton and Paul Anderson admit they both had plenty of interest before finalising moves to Ashton Gate.
    Heaton has joined the Robins on a one-year contract after leaving Cardiff City and saw a move to Watford fall through earlier in the summer following the Pozzo family's takeover.

The likes of Blackburn Rovers and Sheffield Wednesday were also linked with offers, but the goalkeeper is happy to have agreed a deal with Derek McInnes' side.
    "It's been a long summer with lots of clubs talking to me, so I was glad to just sit down with the manager here and get something done," Heaton told the club's official website.
    "I know a bit about Bristol City because I was only just over the bridge in Cardiff for a number of years. I've been sold on the ambition of the club and the gaffer."
    Anderson was available on a free transfer after his Nottingham Forest contract expired and he had been a target for Blackpool before joining the Robins.

"I'm pleased to be here," said Anderson. "There's been a lot of interest. The gaffer has been fantastic and I'm looking forward to working with him.
    "I've got lots of experience in this league. Last season didn't go well for me, with all the problems going on at Forest.
    "You'll have to ask the gaffer what position I'll play. I like playing from the left, even though I'm right-footed, but can also play on the right wing and in behind the strikers."

Uploads

Carroll's loan move criteria

Liverpool striker would consider playing for English club in Europe

Andy Carroll: Liverpool striker would consider a loan move to an English club playing in Europe

Sky Sports sources understand Liverpool striker Andy Carroll is prepared to consider a loan move to another Premier League club playing in Europe this season.
    Carroll's future at Anfield is uncertain following the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as manager and former club Newcastle United have already failed with a bid.

The Magpies wanted to sign the England international on loan with a view to a permanent deal, but Rodgers has insisted there is 'no way' Carroll will be leaving on a temporary basis.
    The 23-year-old, meanwhile, is understood to be unwilling to move on permanently, but is prepared to reluctantly consider a loan spell away from Liverpool.
    West Ham United were understood to have made a 17million bid for the forward, who has scored just six goals in 42 league appearances since his 35million move to Merseyside in January 2011.

A switch to Upton Park would not appear to be on Carroll's agenda, however, with the player favouring European football if he does leave the Reds.
    Newcastle would be able to meet that demand after last season's fifth-placed finish secured a spot in the Europa League, with Tottenham Hotspur also in the same competition.
    Liverpool start their own Europa League campaign next week, while Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea will be playing in the UEFA Champions League.

Uploads

Mowbray - No pressure to sell

Boro boss would only cash in if the price is right

Tony Mowbray: Middlesbrough manager says there is no pressure to sell any of his players

Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray says he will only sell one of the club's key players if the price is right and insists there is no pressure to cash in.

Mowbray is keen to construct a squad capable of challenging for promotion to the Premier League this season and has already signed the likes of Jonathan Woodgate and Grant Leadbitter.
    However, he is also trying to fend off interest in his players, with Rhys Williams and Marvin Emnes among those to have been linked with top-flight clubs.
    "At this moment there's no pressure from above to sell anybody," Mowbray told the Evening Gazette.

"I think the philosophy is every player has their price but we are in no rush to lose any of the players we want to keep.
    "I'm under no pressure to sell any players. In fact the chairman would rather keep them all and have a real good shot at it next season.
    "And yet my philosophy is, if I felt the price was right for a certain player and I felt I could utilise the money coming in to buy another two or three players that might strengthen the squad, then those are the sort of issues that myself, the chairman and the chief exec would discuss."

Uploads

Rovers linked with Paynter

Saunders hopes he is close to making a new signing

Billy Paynter: Leeds United striker has been linked with a move to Doncaster Rovers

Doncaster Rovers manager Dean Saunders is optimistic he is close to improving his squad amid reports the club want to sign Leeds United striker Billy Paynter.

Saunders is set to create room in his budget for new signings by offloading George Friend after a fee was agreed with Middlesbrough for the defender.
    The Rovers boss wants to build a squad capable of securing an immediate return to the Championship and feels he is on the brink of making a signing.
    "I'm hoping to do a couple of deals over the next day or two," said Saunders.

Leeds forward Paynter, who was placed on the transfer list at the end of last season, has been heavily linked with a move to the Keepmoat Stadium.
    The 28-year-old has scored just three times in 27 league appearances since joining from Swindon Town in 2010 and was sent to Brighton on loan last season.

Uploads

Jol coy on Dempsey talk

Cottagers boss hoping to keep American at club
    Last Updated: July 28, 2012 3:49pm

Clint Dempsey: Has been linked with a move to Liverpool this summer

Fulham manager Martin Jol is keeping quiet over speculation linking Clint Dempsey with a Liverpool move but is keen to keep the star forward at Craven Cottage.

Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has made his interest in the USA international known but the Cottagers insist they have received no bids for the 29-year-old.
    Dempsey, who netted 23 goals for Fulham last season, is entering the final year of his deal in West London having joined the club from New England Revolution in 2007.

Jol is reluctant to discuss the transfer talk surrounding the American but says he wants to keep him at the club.
    "I don't want to talk about that (speculation)," the manager told the Fulham Chronicle.
    "I love Clint, he scored a lot of goals and I want to keep him."

Uploads

Pulis - Cameron deal is done

Potters boss has American defender in the bag
    Last Updated: July 28, 2012 2:44pm

Geoff Cameron: Waiting on international clearance before linking up with Stoke

Tony Pulis believes a deal to take Geoff Cameron to Stoke has been completed, with the club now waiting on international clearance.
    The Potters are thought to have fended off interest from a number of Premier League rivals to acquire the services of the Houston Dynamo defender.
    Having reached an agreement for the highly-rated 27-year-old, Stoke are now looking for a transfer to be rubber-stamped during their pre-season tour of the United States.

Cameron has not figured in the required 75 per cent of international fixtures over the past two years to automatically qualify for FIFA clearance, but the Potters are confident a move will be sanctioned.
    Pulis is looking forward to adding another versatile performer to his ranks and is confident his latest signing has what it takes to make a positive impact in the Premier League.
    Pleasing

"I think the deal has been done now, which is pleasing," he told The Sentinel.
    "We think he's a player who can cope with the Premier League.
    "I think he's played full-back as well and it's always nice to have players who can play in more than one position.
    "We're hoping he'll be able to join us (in Orlando), but he won't be able to play until we get clearance. That's the next thing.
    Value

"But it will be nice to get him here with the lads and training with us before we take him back to England.
    "I doubt we'll have the clearance through in time to play him in Kansas (next Wednesday), so we'll have to wait until we get back home.
    "I've seen him play once, in an international, and he's got good qualities. Speaking to loads of people about him, they say his attitude is absolutely fantastic, but you expect that from Americans.

"I think Americans are well suited to the Premier League because they are honest and hard-working.
    "You look at some of the players in the MLS and it might be a place teams in England look to now, instead of constantly looking in Europe to buy players. There is better value over here."

Uploads

Kana-Biyik hints at Rennes stay

Defender claims French club are unwilling to sell him
    Last Updated: July 28, 2012 2:24pm

Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik: Has been linked with a move to Southampton

Reported Southampton target Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik has cast doubt over speculation he will leaves Rennes this summer by insisting he wants to prove himself in Ligue 1.
    French club Rennes are thought to have turned down a 7million offer from the Saints for the 23-year-old, with reports suggesting the Premier League newcomers are lining up a second bid.

AC Milan have also been linked with the Cameroonian-born defender, capped five times by France at U21 level.
    But Kana-Biyik, who has been at the Route de Lorient since joining from Le Havre in 2010, says Rennes are not ready to sell him and respects the Ligue 1 club's decision.

He told Sky Sports: "I am flattered by interest from clubs. I am 23 years old and I want to prove myself in the French league. I still think I need more experience.
    "Going abroad? To be honest I don't know.
    "The club is not ready to sell me and I respect their decision. I have a contract here until 2015, so I am very relaxed about everything."

Uploads

Cavani stays loyal to Napoli

South American would consider Premier League move in future
    Last Updated: July 28, 2012 5:10pm

Edison Cavani: Has pledged loyalty to Napoli amid Premier League talk

Reported Premier League target Edison Cavani has cooled talk of a summer move by reaffirming his commitment to Napoli.
    The Uruguay international, currently representing his country at the London Olympics, is thought to be on the radar of Manchester City and Chelsea, while a host of other European heavyweights are also keen.

But while Cavani has not ruled out a future English move, for now he has pledged his loyalty to the Partenopei.
    Cavani told Il Mattino: "The big English clubs want me? I answer: Forza Napoli! (Power Napoli!)
    "But it is said that English football is art, why not think about it one day if there is that possibility?"

Speculation linking Cavani with a Premier League move was fuelled this week after the striker's wife was mugged in Naples.
    However, the South American says her attacker was not a Napoli supporter, adding: "But it was not a football fan. It is not one of those Neapolitans who, in recent years, have shown me such great affection."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast