Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Football Transfer News 31-07-2012

Arrow Latest Football Transfer News 31-07-2012

Latest Football Transfer News 31-07-2012

Cahill may return on loan

Everton are only Premier League club Red Bulls man will consider
    Last Updated: July 31, 2012 8:20am

Tim Cahill: Has not ruled out a return to Everton on loan

Tim Cahill has not ruled out the possibility of returning to Everton on loan during the Major League Soccer close season - if New York Red Bulls give him permission.
    Cahill was presented by the Red Bulls on Monday after deciding to leave Everton for the United States following eight years at Goodison Park.
    Several US-based players have had loan stints in Europe outside of the MLS season and Cahill is also open to that possibility.
    "I'm going to miss the lads, the chairman, the gaffer, all the staff and the fans - but most of all I'm not going to miss the weather."
    Tim Cahill Quotes of the week

The Australia international insisted his main concern was getting off to a good start with the Red Bulls, but he refused to close the door on the prospect of a loan switch at the end of the campaign.
    Cahill said: "I'm totally focusing on the Red Bulls - getting fit, giving everything I can for the next three to four months.
    "If something can work and fit to the training regime, because I've committed my future to the Red Bulls, and going on loan might not be the right thing for the football club.

"But if it works out that I can find the right happy medium to get the fitness and keep training and to play in certain games, then maybe yes.
    "But I really think in the next three of four months we'll be able to tell closer to the end of the season."

While Cahill had little hesitation in joining the Red Bulls, he has nothing but respect for Everton and claims he would never consider playing for another Premier League team.
    "With opportunities in football you can't stutter, you have to be quick," said the former Millwall man.
    "I knew in my heart that if I ever left Everton that I would never play for another Premier League club out of respect for the chairman, the fans and also the manager.

"I kept it quiet amongst the lads out of respect for the football club.
    "And when I went into the medical room and told the lads their jaws dropped because I don't think they ever thought they'd see the day when Tim Cahill left Everton.
    "The rapport I had with the fans and the loyalty I had toward them and what it meant to be an Evertonian was really special - and also with the Millwall fans.

"I'm going to miss the lads, the chairman, the gaffer, all the staff and the fans - but most of all I'm not going to miss the weather.
    While there is perception in some quarters that a move to MLS represents an admission that a player is past his prime, Cahill sees it differently.
    "I know a lot of people might think otherwise, but I'm 32 years old, I respect the MLS, I'm coming here at a good age, I'm fit and I'm ready for a new challenge," he added.
    "I'm just going to grab the bull by the horns and run with it."

Re: Latest Football Transfer News 31-07-2012

Reds reject City's Agger bids

City weigh up third offer for Dane
    Last Updated: July 31, 2012 9:09am

Daniel Agger: Subject of two failed bids from Manchester City

Sky Sports understands Liverpool have rejected two offers from Manchester City for defender Daniel Agger.
    City have targeted a move for Agger as they look to bolster their defensive options ahead of the new season.
    City boss Roberto Mancini has admitted a new central defender is one of his top priorities with the Italian short of cover in central defence.
    Kolo Toure is expected to leave the Etihad Stadium leaving just Vincent Kompany, Joleon Lescott and Stefan Savic as his only three recognised centre-backs.

Agger, who joined Liverpool from Brondby in 2006, has established himself as a key member of the Reds side since arriving on Merseyside.
    The 27-year-old has two years to run on his current deal and although Reds boss Brendan Rodgers would be reluctant to lose the Denmark international he could find it hard to resist a big-money offer for Agger which he could then use to strengthen his squad elsewhere
    City are thought to have had offers of 13million and 16million rejected by Liverpool, but they could come back with a third bid as they look to make their first signing of the summer.

Spanish giants Barcelona are also thought to be tracking Agger and they could rival City for the classy centre-back's signature.

Sao Paulo line up new Moura deal

Brazilians look to fend off United interest
    Last Updated: July 31, 2012 8:53am

Lucas Moura: In line for a new deal from Sao Paulo as they look to fend off interest from Man Utd

Sao Paulo are ready to offer Manchester United target Lucas Moura a new improved deal in a bid to keep him at the club.
    United have made the highly-rated winger one of their top targets this summer and have already seen one bid rejected by Sao Paulo for Moura.
    Moura, who is currently away with Brazil at the Olympics, has revealed he will not make a decision on his future until after the Games in London.
    Sao Paulo's director of football, Adalberto Baptista, has admitted they may look to extend the 19-year-old's contract as they look to fend off United's interest in the attacker.

"It's possible we change his contract," Baptista told UOL. "He has four more years of contract. We may call him to extend, renegotiate his contract, maybe for 18 more months".
    Baptista also played down rumours that Moura's parents had travelled to England to hold talks with United insisting it was only to watch their son in the Olympics.

"His family went to England just to watch the Olympics, they had already told us they would," added Baptista.
    "They want to follow their son, like any parents would in a competition like that. There is no negotiation, no talks, anything.
    Moura has found himself playing a bit-part role for Brazil at the Olympics and Baptista feels the player should be playing more than he has so far in the tournament.

"Lucas is now focused and it's in our interest he shows his best football, even though he is not being given as much playing time as he should at the national team, but that's just my personal opinion," concluded Moura.

Friend targets Boro promotion

Defender reveals Mowbray a key factor behind move decision
    Last Updated: July 31, 2012 8:51am

George Friend: Defender was swayed by Tony Mowbray's ambition after joining Middlesbrough

George Friend is hoping to help Middlesbrough win promotion to the Premier League after finalising his move from Doncaster Rovers.
    The versatile defender has signed a three-year contract to join Boro for an undisclosed fee following Doncaster's relegation from the Championship at the end of last season.

He was also a target for Ipswich Town and Nottingham Forest, but the 24-year-old admits he was swayed by the quality of squad Tony Mowbray has pieced together at The Riverside.
    "Middlesbrough finished just outside the play-off places last season and Tony Mowbray is building a really strong squad here," Friend told the club's official website.

"I took that into account when deciding to move here because my ambition is to help this club achieve promotion.
    "It has been fairly crucial to make the right choice, and a big attraction was how the manager likes to play football. I've seen what he has done at previous clubs and his teams like to pass the ball. I hope I fit into that category and I can't wait for the season to start.
    "The manager has made some quality signings this summer and these are exciting times for Middlesbrough."

Boro boss Mowbray is happy to have added Friend to his squad and is confident the defender will increase the fight for places in his starting line-up.
    Mowbray said: "I think George will be a good signing for us. He's a versatile player who can play at centre-half and left-back. He's very athletic and very mobile and has all the attributes you look for in a player.
    "He's going to create really good competition to get into our side."

Hornets swoop for seven

Series of new signings at Vicarage Road herald Zola era
    Last Updated: July 31, 2012 7:17am

Gianfranco Zola: Has introduced seven new players at Watford

Gianfranco Zola has heralded the new era at Watford with seven new signings, including former Premier League duo Manuel Almunia and Fitz Hall.
    Zola replaced Sean Dyche as Hornets boss after the Pozzo family completed their takeover of the club and he has not wasted time in a major overhaul of the squad.

Goalkeeper Almunia joins Watford on a one-year contract after he left Arsenal in the summer and Hall also arrives on a one-year deal to bolster the defence following his release by QPR.
    The Pozzos also own Udinese and Granada and Zola has utilised this close relationship to bring in five more players on season-long loans from those clubs.

Midfielder Almen Abdi as well as forwards Matej Vydra and Steve Leo Beleck have arrived from the Serie A side.
    And defender Daniel Pudil and striker Ikechi Anya were brought in from the Spanish outfit.
    Technical director Gianluca Nani told the club's official website: "We expect these players to make a very positive impact on Gianfranco Zola's squad.

"We are constantly looking to add quality here for Watford, and this is a task which will be ongoing throughout the season."

Kompany: I had other offers
    Last Updated: July 31 2012, 8:12 BST

Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany has revealed he had offers from elsewhere before penning a six-year deal - but is targeting six Premier League titles with the champions.

Kompany: Targeting six more Premier League titles
    Kompany has emerged as one of the finest defenders in the world since joining City from Hamburg in 2008 and has played a pivotal role in the club's trophy success in recent seasons.
    But the 26-year-old Belgium international wants more glory after admitting he is now emotionally invested at the Etihad Stadium and he wants to keep the titles coming.
    "I've signed a six-year deal, so there are six possible titles within those years," said Kompany. "So you know what? I want to get them all.
    "It probably won't happen, but we'll see in six years' time. I'll try everything for that.

"I'm not going to give names, but the opportunity was there for me to start negotiating with other clubs.
    "It's only normal when you win the Premier League - or have a couple of good seasons - that you get interest at the end of the season.
    "But I wanted to stay at City and I think the six-year deal is a statement of my ambitions at the club.
    "I've had a good spell here and it would have been easy to play clubs against each other, but it wasn't my intention.
    "When I joined City four years ago, I came a month before the takeover. When that happened, without knowing it, their project became mine as well.

"So I do have ties to the project, and also to the fans and the city, which makes it very exciting for me to stay at the club for a long period."
    City claimed the Premier League title in dramatic fashion after scoring twice in injury-time on the last day to pip rivals Manchester United and win the league for the first time in 44 years.
    Kompany knows it will not get any easier and credits the team's obsession with winning under Roberto Mancini as key to their success.
    "Before I won the league, I didn't think I could win it so I prepared twice as much as others and did everything to win it," added the former Anderlecht man.

"It was an obsession for us and myself, so I just hope we keep that obsession.
    "You can walk around thinking you're a winner, but if you don't train like a winner or do everything in your life to maintain being a winner, it just stops there.
    "So every day of my life I'm still obsessed by this moment, by the victory at the end of the season. It's what I want to have again."
    "It's clear we have a competition on our hands. You can clearly see all the other teams have reacted to what happened last season and come out stronger.

"But I think we'll come out stronger too because we're one season further down the line in terms of playing together.
    "That was always our problem, the fact that we hadn't gelled over a long period of time.
    "But you can see now that we know each other better on the pitch now and that will be our competitive advantage for next season."
    The season was not without its difficulties with City appearing to implode at several key moments as temperamental figures such as Carlos Tevez and Mario Balotelli threatened to undermine their efforts.

Tevez refused to warm-up against Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League, leading to a fall-out with Mancini, while Balotelli was recklessly sent off in a seemingly devastating defeat at Arsenal.
    But ultimately both men played important roles in the triumph and Kompany believes the team's mental strength was evident in the way they overcame those low points.
    "There was a lot of talk out there last season about how everything was going wrong," said Kompany.

"But the one thing we managed to do, in whatever situation we found ourselves, was focus very quickly back on the football.
    "On the back of the Bayern Munich defeat we won 4-0 at Blackburn - which is always a very difficult away game.
    "And on the back of the Arsenal defeat we had six wins in a row to win the league, so we've shown our strength in terms of our mentality.
    "There are a lot of teams that probably wouldn't have coped as well as we did with those kinds of events happening.

"But I guess that's the nature of playing for City - you get used to those things and you just keep going forward.
    "That's what we did, and the main thing is that those players managed to have a positive impact on our season."

Lerner sale talk is 'nonsense'
    Last Updated: July 31 2012, 8:48 BST

Aston Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner insists Randy Lerner is not planning to sell the club.

Paul Faulkner: Adamant Lerner is staying at Villa
    The US owner has decided to sell his NFL team, the Cleveland Browns, sparking fears that he could be keen to get rid of Villa too.
    But Faulkner claims that decision is irrelevant to Lerner's future plans for the Premier League club.
    Faulkner is quoted in the Daily Star as saying: "The Browns situation means absolutely nothing regards Aston Villa - neither good nor bad.

"The big point that people sometimes forget is that he inherited Cleveland - he bought Villa.
    "Any rumours that he could be thinking about getting out or losing interest is nonsense."

Mancini's son joins Valladolid

Son of City boss given Spain chance after being released by father
    Last Updated: July 31, 2012 10:55am

Roberto Mancini: Released his own son but Andrea Mancini now has new chance at Valladolid

Andrea Mancini, former Manchester City striker and son of City boss Roberto Mancini, has signed for Spanish team Valladolid B.
    The 19-year-old, who was released by the Premier League champions at the end of last season after brief loan spells at Oldham and Italian side Fano, has signed a one-year deal at the club.
    Although Mancini will take his place in the reserve set-up, he is also eligible to feature for the senior side who were promoted to the Primera Division last season.

The Italian's ambition is to force his way into the first team as soon as possible.
    Mancini told AS: "It is something very important for me. Valladolid is a good team in the Spanish league and I am going to have to work hard.
    "I have to win my chance in the youth team to play in the Primera with Valladolid, but if I work hard I don't see any reason why it can't happen.
    "My great-grandmother, who died when I was a child, always told me she was from Valladolid although I personally don't know the city.
    "However, it seems very nice and the stadium and infrastructure are excellent. It is clear this is a team that belongs to the Spanish league."

Andrea realises he faces a challenge to be remembered for his own footballing ability rather than that of his father but he is determined to work as hard as possible.
    "The name is a huge weight." he added.
    "My father was a fantastic player and is a great coach too, but I want to work and to vindicate myself. I hope that one day they will remember me as Andrea Mancini.

"I am sure my dad will follow my progress closely, although he won't be able to come and watch me.
    "My dream would be to debut in the first game of the season with Valladolid and that my dad could come to the stadium.
    "He told me to take advantage of such a big opportunity to play in a team in the Spanish league, to work harder than anyone and improve as a player, to listen to the coach and learn from the experience."

Puyol's Barca talks on track

Defender wants to end career at Camp Nou
    Last Updated: July 31, 2012 2:36pm

Carles Puyol: Feels valued by Barcelona and says talks over a new deal are progressing well

Carles Puyol does not anticipate any problems in finalising a new deal with Barcelona as he wants to stay at the club until he retires.
    Puyol's current contract only runs until next summer and he has had a difficult few months after missing the European Championship due to injury.
    The Spanish defender, who turned 34 in April, is nevertheless set to agree fresh terms after deciding that he would not want to play for anyone else.

He told Marca: "I have always felt very valued by the club, the fans, my team-mates and the manager. I can't have any complaints. There isn't going to be any problem and the talks are on the right track.
    "I have changed my idea (about the experience of playing at another club) and now I want to retire here. I will try to do so. I have the will and desire to continue playing if the club wants me.

"What I don't want though is for me to become a drag, I am very clear on this."
    Puyol remains ambitious and is desperate to get back onto the field of play for the start of the season, having been given permission to return to action.

He said: "It has been a hard summer. I have to train a lot but it has borne fruit. I am happy to be already with the team.
    "I always try to take care of myself as much as possible. I will try to contribute everything to the team, to win everything and then we will see what happens."
    Hungry Villa

As part of Puyol's off-season recuperation programme he spent a lot of time training with David Villa as the striker also missed the Euros on his way back from a serious injury suffered in December - and Puyol believes Spain's all-time leading international goalscorer is progressing well after nearly eight months out of the game.
    "He looks good, hungry, excited and with a lot of intensity in the training sessions. When you have an injury like this, though, it is important to not rush back and return in good condition," said Puyol.
    With Jordi Alba's return to the club the only significant move Barca have made in the transfer market all summer, the major change has come on the sidelines where Tito Vilanova has stepped up from his role as assistant to succeed Pep Guardiola as manager - but Puyol has no doubt Vilanova will bring his own skills to the job.
    He explained: "Here everyone is important. Tito is very valued, we believe he will offer us a lot.
    "He will do his job and we will do ours. Here we all pull in the same direction and we all have our part to play."

Milan not ruling out Kaka

Berlusconi and Galliani set to discuss move for Brazilian
    Last Updated: July 31, 2012 3:26pm

Kaka: Linked with a move back to AC Milan and Silvio Berlusconi is staying open-minded

AC Milan have not spoken about a possible swoop for Kaka at great length but admit he will always hold a place in their hearts.
    The Brazilian became a talismanic figure during his time at the San Siro before leaving for Real Madrid in 2009.
    He has struggled to command a regular starting role at Real in recent times and has been linked with a switch elsewhere this summer.
    A move back to Milan is reported to be Kaka's preference and Rossoneri vice-president Adriano Galliani initially hinted that something could be done, before admitting financial factors could threaten a deal.

Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi has now declared that the club are still open to the idea of bringing back Kaka, although they will have to study the situation more closely before making a final decision.
    "I've not spoken a lot about this with Galliani," he told the Milan Channel.
    "He's in our hearts for the player and for the man he is.
    "I am not closed to a similar possibility, even if we must pay attention to the conditions.
    "Kaka is one of those players who made Milan history."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast